• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Thanks to the lack of anything else to listen to I have had Joanna on repeat and I actually like just about every track now (stockholm syndrome send help)

I think sinners prayer is the worst. John Wayne still slays me and is the only song that I will seek out to play, but the album is alright

As someone who worships Nintendo and their legacy I have absolutely no confidence in their ability to make hardware that doesn't inhibit some fundamental element of the overall experience. Of course it has a 3 hour battery life. Of course.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Thanks to the lack of anything else to listen to I have had Joanna on repeat and I actually like just about every track now (stockholm syndrome send help)

I think sinners prayer is the worst. John Wayne still slays me and is the only song that I will seek out to play, but the album is alright
It's a good album! But...Sinners Prayer is probably one of my fav songs on the album. I dislike Perfect Illusion, A-YO.

Nnnn she's truly the queen of second impressions. What are your thoughts on Diamond Heart sis?

http://www.popmatters.com/review/lady-gaga-joanne/
Back in 2008, Lady Gaga answered PopMatters’ 20 Questions, and although her answers are short and hurried, some proved to be indicative of where she would be nearly a decade after the fact. The best piece of advice she actually followed? “My dad telling me to stop doing drugs.” Her hidden talents? “There are none hidden.” Best thing she ever bought, stole, or borrowed? “Inventing, building and paying for my ‘disco stick’.”

Yet question number seven was key: what do you want to be remembered for? Her answer, while broad and more than a bit cliche, was exactly what you’d expect: “Being important to music and culture, and possibly changing pop culture.”

Eight years later, Gaga is putting out her sixth proper studio release (assuming you’re counting 2009’s mini-set The Fame Monster, which you absolutely should be) in the form of Joanne, a musical left turn in a career that’s already seen the Manhattan-born Stefani Germanotta effect pop culture in surprising ways, largely by becoming not only a dance-pop and music-video icon, but also a Golden Globe-winning actress, an Oscar-nominated singer, a Super Bowl Half Time performer, and, most important of all, Tony Bennett’s best friend.

Yet Joanne comes at a pivotal time for Gaga, because although her recent performances at the Academy Awards have drawn praise and her tour with Tony Bennett, as unexpected as it was, nevertheless endeared her to demographics that artists like Katy Perry wouldn’t dare to touch, Gaga has been figuring out what to do with herself for the past several years. Her implosive 2013 effort Artpop found her being so enthralled with the idea of turning trend-riven dance-pop into capital-A “Art” that she wound up scoring a Top Five single with a song that contained the lyric “One second I’m a Koons / Then suddenly the Koons is me”, giving her rabid fan-base the decadence they’ve come to expect while leaving critics and casual fans out in the cold. What was one unique and bizarre had since become expected and outlandish, her laving music videos growing so much in run time that one feared she was close to accidentally remaking Berlin Alexanderplatz.

So even as Joanne‘s “Papa Don’t Preach”-as-sung-by-Stevie-Nicks lead single “Perfect Illusion” writhed around on the floor in love with its own ‘80s decadence, one had to wonder: what is Gaga truly trying to accomplish with this album? Redemption? Catharsis? “Realness”? The more Joanne unfolds, the more it feels less like an album and more like Gaga, acoustic guitar in hand, throwing ideas at the wall and trying to see what sticks, breaking from her past but not in such a way that she’d alienate her armies of Little Monsters. It’s different, it’s unfocused, it’s interesting, and—make no bones about it—it’s far from revolutionary. It’s less a reinvention than it is a casual reboot, and even if its pleasures are modest, it’s still a fascinating document from a diva who refuses to remain in one place.
this review feels very apt.

while I would score the album lower and I don't agree with some of the song critiques (positive or negative), i feel like they have a good understanding of gaga's career. (also they gave artpop a 4/10 so they're not stans )

MANUELF

Banned
http://www.popmatters.com/review/lady-gaga-joanne/

this review feels very apt.

while I would score the album lower and I don't agree with some of the song critiques (positive or negative), i feel like they have a good understanding of gaga's career. (also they gave artpop a 4/10 so they're not stans )

I agree with this part
So even as Joanne‘s “Papa Don’t Preach”-as-sung-by-Stevie-Nicks lead single “Perfect Illusion” writhed around on the floor in love with its own ‘80s decadence, one had to wonder: what is Gaga truly trying to accomplish with this album? Redemption? Catharsis? “Realness”? The more Joanne unfolds, the more it feels less like an album and more like Gaga, acoustic guitar in hand, throwing ideas at the wall and trying to see what sticks, breaking from her past but not in such a way that she’d alienate her armies of Little Monsters. It’s different, it’s unfocused, and—make no bones about it—it’s far from revolutionary

Joanne definitely feels like a reboot, with a different focus at the forefront. There were rumors that her label was treating the rollout as a debut indie record, which sounds ridiculous but it definitely falls in line with how this thing sounds. It sort of takes the Gaga DNA (nursery rhyme hooks, heavy 70s-80s influence, that theatrical squall) and re-appropriates it.

Major "4" vibes with this album. "4" was Beyonce's bridge from her cocktail-dress-turned-catsuit era of top 40 relevance to finding a home where her music (and brand) really gets to shine. "4" still left something to be desired - like it didn't go ALL the way -- but it gave her the means to go sky high with the next one. I'm in no way assuming LG6 is going hold a candle to what Self-Titled did to modern music, but I can surely see Gaga having way more clarity now on where to go next with her music.The analogy certainly fits.

Touchdown

Banned
tumblr_ofdljuSOtG1siqaqqo1_1280.jpg

and it's not even Halloween.

tumblr_nl0mkpXpzO1sbr6who1_250.gif

Ok the songs I use from JOANNE are

1. Diamond Days
2. Dancing in Circles
3. John Wayne
4. Come To Mama
5. Perfect Illusion (such a slay)
6. Sinners Prayer
7. JOANNE
8. Angel Down

The rest GAGA can keep

Million Reasons is so boring FYI.
Hey Girl goes nowhere
The deluxe tracks are cute but that's it for me
AYO is a mess

Ahasverus

Little Mons†er;221023912 said:
Ok the songs I use from JOANNE are

1. Diamond Days
2. Dancing in Circles
3. John Wayne
4. Come To Mama
5. Perfect Illusion (such a slay)
6. Sinners Prayer
7. JOANNE
8. Angel Down

The rest GAGA can keep

Million Reasons is so boring FYI.
Hey Girl goes nowhere
The deluxe tracks are cute but that's it for me
AYO is a mess
Where are the lies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Nnnn she's truly the queen of second impressions. What are your thoughts on Diamond Heart sis?

every time it starts Im lik YASS GAWD those vocals, that beat, that pre chorus
and then the chorus hits and she can keep it tbh
and do not get me started on that caterwauling towards the end

Majmun

Joanne definitely feels like a reboot, with a different focus at the forefront. There were rumors that her label was treating the rollout as a debut indie record, which sounds ridiculous but it definitely falls in line with how this thing sounds. It sort of takes the Gaga DNA (nursery rhyme hooks, heavy 70s-80s influence, that theatrical squall) and re-appropriates it.

Major "4" vibes with this album. "4" was Beyonce's bridge from her cocktail-dress-turned-catsuit era of top 40 relevance to finding a home where her music (and brand) really gets to shine. "4" still left something to be desired - like it didn't go ALL the way -- but it gave her the means to go sky high with the next one. I'm in no way assuming LG6 is going hold a candle to what Self-Titled did to modern music, but I can surely see Gaga having way more clarity now on where to go next with her music.The analogy certainly fits.

4 is good tho

Nasser

CTFUUUUU Joanne is $4 on amazon? Oh she KNEW no one would buy this trash so she had to resort to this desperate ugly way. It's so hilarious watching Gaga flop ngl

4 is good tho
Exactly. It is probably my least favorite Bey album and largely it was disappointing, but it had some good songs namely "Dance for You", which is one of her best imo. Joanne on the other hand is a mess with little to none " listenable" songs.

Like some pointed out, it's Lotus/Britney Jean -tier and will be completely forgotten soon enough. Gags herself is seeing the writings on the wall and will be doing a yard sale outside her local bars tour next week.

Nasser

Little Mons†er;221034763 said:
I think GAGA will quickly put out a new album in early 2018 at the least tbh

Considering what's happing with the reception of JOANNE

I mean if she wants to save whats left of her career she should do it, and it's better be a pop-dance album. She needs to stop acting like she's bigger than pop music cause she's clearly not.

This was so hilarious to read. I could poke holes in every sentence in this post but I'm not gonna do it, listening to Joanne and pretending to like it is enough torture. I just wanna say I'm happy that youre enjoying the album 😉

I forgot 4 was trash. For some reason I thought it was a slay. I enjoyed IASF heaps more.
1. "1+1"
2. "I Care"
3. "I Miss You"
4. "Best Thing I Never Had"
5. "Party" (featuring André 3000)
6. "Rather Die Young"
7. "Start Over"
8. "Love on Top"
9. "Countdown"
10. "End of Time"
11. "I Was Here"
12. "Run the World (Girls)"

Koodo

Banned

I think it's time to get real here:

Please stop comparing this creatively-bankrupt, socially-problematic white woman, obscene hypocrite claiming that the charts never matter despite being famished for commercial success, delusion of grandeur having bowel movement to someone like Beyoncé who remained authentic about her abilities and progressed her career organically to the point of becoming music's most powerful entity in the current times.

This stopped being a funny joke.

Listened to Joanne. It's easily her best body of work since The Fame Monster. It's a thoroughly enjoyable album, with no real stinkers and some amazing songs (Joanne, Come to Mama, Million Reasons, Perfect Illusion).

rhandino

Banned
Lady Gaga is not going to put a new album on 2018 unless is some Cheek to Cheek kind of deal because she is a RealArtiste™ that cares about her art and image unlike the other prostitutes that whore themselves year after year for a #1 hit and some measly stream coins instead of the constant stream of revenue generated by 0.99¢ $4.99 for albums and big touring concerts
Lady Gaga stans when Rihanna released yearly

The thing that is very strange to me is why the stans say that she doesn't care or need success, fame and more money since she is already very rich and can keep making this kind of failed ventures because she is doing it "for the art" but I don't know what top of the line producer, writer, team, etc... is willing to work with someone that will milk their names and release a critical and commercial fart in the wind because let's be real: Joanne should have been the Album of the Year with all those "it" producers and collaborations.

At least Joanne is already above ARTPOP (albeit only for like 4 points) on Metacritic but still way below Glory so that is a win, I guess.

Mau ®

Smh @ ya'll thinking Joanne is an "indie" record.

I mean, nothing about Joanne sounds remotely like anything that's happening or will happen in the alt-scene. The only pop stars they use are Bey, Rih and Carly Rae.

Joanne reeks of someone desperate for approval from critics while absolutely having no idea what critics consider to be good or "authentic" these days.

And please don't tell me "Gaga doesnt care about critics" when she's literally replying to any publication giving her a bad score. Her twitter meltdowns are hilarious.

WaffleTaco

Honestly I'm surprised by how much hate Joanne is getting. It's a fun album. I'm just glad she's done with the BTW/Artpop sound.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm more shocked that with all those producers the sound is so dull and boring... I expected big things especially after the Kevin Parker influence on Perfect Illusion but the album is incredibly tedious. A Yo is kinda fun but the rest is mediocre, imo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't get it. This is the worst week ever. First Nintendo fans mob the internet and stop me from watching Queen Hillary videos because Nintendo unveiled a Plastic Optimus Prime thing and then Lady Gaga releases the worst album I think ever.

I came for the techno shit. People who hate Artpop can go get fucked and listen to Rihanna sing about the swamp she came out of. Where is my Bad Romance 2? I don't get why Artpop is so hated. At least it MOSTLY wasn't fucking weird like Born this Way which was clearly full of "LOOK AT ME!!! I CAN PRETEND TO SPEAK GERMAN LOL!!!" shit. And even Sheisse is a bop and everyone sucks.

But this album...jesus if I found it in my spinster grand aunt's closet I would not be surprised. I am dragging this shit to hell

I don't get it. This is the worst week ever. First Nintendo fans mob the internet and stop me from watching Queen Hillary videos because Nintendo unveiled a Plastic Optimus Prime thing and then Lady Gaga releases the worst album I think ever.

I came for the techno shit. People who hate Artpop can go get fucked and listen to Rihanna sing about the swamp she came out of. Where is my Bad Romance 2? I don't get why Artpop is so hated. At least it MOSTLY wasn't fucking weird like Born this Way which was clearly full of "LOOK AT ME!!! I CAN PRETEND TO SPEAK GERMAN LOL!!!" shit. And even Sheisse is a bop and everyone sucks.

But this album...jesus if I found it in my spinster grand aunt's closet I would not be surprised. I am dragging this shit to hell
I am sorry to inform that Rihanna effectively delivered her "real music" era with ANTi, which might even be a contender for AOTY. While Gaga Pretends to like southern dick and sings about it on Joanne, Rihanna delivers the bop of the decade with "Work" which stayed on top of the charts for weeks and weeks...something that Gaga can only dream of now.

Cleanse your ears and soul by listening to Rihanna's magnum opus ANTi: https://open.spotify.com/album/19O3rXe4nDu9YDcc2tOQVn

EstYk1d.gif

Mau ®;221046292 said:
Smh @ ya'll thinking Joanne is an "indie" record.

I mean, nothing about Joanne sounds remotely like anything that's happening or will happen in the alt-scene. The only pop stars they use are Bey, Rih and Carly Rae.

Joanne reeks of someone desperate for approval from critics while absolutely having no idea what critics consider to be good or "authentic" these days.

And please don't tell me "Gaga doesnt care about critics" when she's literally replying to any publication giving her a bad score. Her twitter meltdowns are hilarious.

The "indie" argument is the most ridiculous and frankly insulting, regarding this stinker.
It's like they think "indie" is a nicer word for "Bad."

WaffleTaco

Artpop was so terrible because it sounded like pure garbage go whomp whomp whomp while being very discombobulated and too long for its own good. I do agree though on your Born This Way opinion.

Also Anti is really good and I think she is from Barbados not like the southern swamps, just saying.
Joanne isn't anything over a 7/10. Its middling reviews are understandable.
This is true, even though I overrated it at first.
I am sorry to inform that Rihanna effectively delivered her "real music" era with ANTi, which might even be a contender for AOTY. While Gaga Pretends to like southern dick and sings about it on Joanne, Rihanna delivers the bop of the decade with "Work" which stayed on top of the charts for weeks and weeks...something that Gaga can only dream of now.

Cleanse your ears and soul by listening to Rihanna's magnum opus ANTi: https://open.spotify.com/album/19O3rXe4nDu9YDcc2tOQVn

EstYk1d.gif
I agree mostly with this opinion. Anti is great. And southern dick is probably the same as any other dick...

Top Bottom