• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

B-Dex

Most of us who aren't fans of the album were actually hoping for something decent, but what we got instead was

be_quiet_tiffany_2.gif

and

tumblr_ng5xfuXtLg1rrjbeno1_500.gif

Sinner's Prayer is solid, tbh.

But Tiffany is the only one that matters anyways. So....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A review of Juuann by me:

1. Diamond Heart: Can't listen to it. Don't like it. Just go away.

2. A-yo: It's catchy. It feels extremely hokey but the more I listen to it the more I like it. I enjoyed watching her perform it honestly.

3. Joanne: I really like it. It's...heartfelt. The lyrics are not particularly, like, deep, but it's simple and connects.

4. John Wayne: I don't really get why she's singing about John Wayne but this is another really great beat.

5. Dancin in CIrcles: Really like this one too. Catchy. Feels a lot like a country song that got cut from TFM. I'll take it.

6. Perfect Illusion: I hate it. Screaming. Awful 80s feel to it. It feels a lot more dated than something like Born This Way, where I thought it was actually designed to feel old.

7. Million Reasons: Not as good as Speechless, better than Dope. I actually don't mind Dope. But I think the repetition is a little too strong here.

8. Sinner's Prayer: Pretty good.

9. Come to Mama: Pretty good.

10. Hey Girl featuring Redhead from Final Fantasy XV: Oh god.

11. Angel Down: I don't like it.

12. Grigio Girls: Ok I like this one. Lol.

13. Just Another Day: The beginning is so hokey. It just sounds like a fart tuba or something.

I guess it's like a 7/10. I want a freaking pop album from her. This is not that. BUT, given that, this doesn't seem that bad. But I don't understand the focus on unfiltered vocals and screaming. It doesn't make it seem "authentic" to me. Unless the aim is to make me think she authentically doesn't have the pride to accept that her voice is not perfect. She's not some operatic soprano or whatever.

technopath

Neo Member
Despite popular belief, there are actually decent country-inspired albums in existence. Joanne is not one of them.

Moving on to a topic that I actually care about... I am praying that Lana's next album will not continue her trend of going slower and darker with each release.
29mfnS6.jpg

So, can we all agree that the Angel Down Work Tape is objectively superior to the final version? Like..
Yes

I wish she'd just released an album of "work tapes". It feels much more authentic which seems to be a sticking point for her this album, and I think they're more interesting to listen to.

DOWN

Banned
I think Joanne seems like it would be good to watch her do live and is decent, but...

I can't be the only one who is waiting for her next Bad Romance type of huge splash on the charts. Yoü and I was great but as a piece of Edge of Glory / Born this Way and co. Her dance pop on The Fame Monster and Born This Way are why she blew up. We found out suddenly when Bad Romance dropped that she was able to take a fashionable stomp away from the other pop stars while using one of the best voices on the radio. Plus she's easy to credit with bringing music videos back to popularity as MTV phased them out of TV in the late 00s and pre-VEVO.

DOWN

Banned
Despite popular belief, there are actually decent country-inspired albums in existence. Joanne is not one of them.

Moving on to a topic that I actually care about... I am praying that Lana's next album will not continue her trend of going slower and darker with each release.
29mfnS6.jpg
Born to Die was so interesting with her 60s imitation vocals over full on hip hop and cinema orchestrals was super interesting. Plus the videos were great all the way through Paradise. High By The Beach was a hint that it's still in her.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
POP-GAF I'm having a gif emergency. I used to see this gif of this woman entering a building and she runs out just before it explodes. I've been trying to find it. I used to see it often here.

Does anyone have a link to it? Thanks in advance!

Aguila

#ICONIC
So, can we all agree that the Angel Down Work Tape is objectively superior to the final version? Like..

Yes. It has more "oomph," especially in the chorus. The Work Tape vocals with Red One production would probably have been even more of a slay.

I can't be the only one who is waiting for her next Bad Romance type of huge splash on the charts

You definitely aren't. Everyone who's not a deluded stan is waiting for this to happen.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I find it funny that you guys are saying Metacritic is irrelevant except when it helps your agenda like MBDTF deserved GOTY or Lemonade is the best album this year

It's interesting the correlation between stanbases and certain critical scores who are always the first to dismiss Metacritic, when the tea that is spilled by that reaction is scathing since it's either:

a) Cognitive dissonance finally sinking in, and the deluded are perhaps realizing they are enjoying an album for reasons that have nothing to do with actually enjoying the music
b) Bothered by the critical consensus, despite claiming otherwise, and in turn reinforcing the relevance of the critical reception

It's even sadder when the artist itself engages in any of the above, or both.
I would say metacritic is right a lot of the time, however sometimes it gets the score wrong. I would rate it a little bit higher than 65 (maybe 67 or 68). I think Glory should be lower (would you argue it's Britney's second best album?) I think Charlie Puth's should be higher (it's a 37, I was actually going to ask if anybody had listened to this after Joanne had died down).

No offense but Side to Side by Arianus ft. Minajsus is a BOP
It's one of the better songs on that album. Makes me want to swing my hips lol!

that is still much higher than i was expecting tho. even if we assume stans (estimating 50% when in reality it is probably much lower) bought the album 3x via amazon instead of once that's +120k.

wow

Happy for Gaga if she hits the estimates. I'm enjoying the album for what it is (its definitely grown on me), I just hope we get ONE more RedOne executive produced album from her.

llehuty

Namie Amuro / 「Fighter」Music Video -short ver.-
Bayonetta : The music video. Everything about this is a slay. Well except the part of it being a short version.

TWICE(트와이스) "TT(티티)" M/V
THE k-pop girl group (currently). They debuted a year ago, but they have been skyrocketing in popularity since debut. The song had a mixed recpetion in the kpop thread , but I personally love it. Feels like soething that could have come out of a juvenile version of 4walls.

Namie Amuro / 「Fighter」Music Video -short ver.-
Bayonetta : The music video. Everything about this is a slay. Well except the part of it being a short version.

TWICE(트와이스) "TT(티티)" M/V
THE k-pop girl group (currently). They debuted a year ago, but they have been skyrocketing in popularity since debut. The song had a mixed recpetion in the kpop thread , but I personally love it. Feels like soething that could have come out of a juvenile version of 4walls.

Namie Vampire Amuro does it again. And lol at Tiffany stanning in 2016, she's so dense she posted a japanese imperial flag on snapchat during Korean independence day let's not.

Top Bottom