• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

rhandino

Banned
I would be shoked but this is the same forum where people asked if it was wrong to only wash with baby wipes

3ObYKnX.gif

Frodo

The US fucked it up so bad.

Removing LGBT+, Climate Change, Civil Rights, and Health Care sessions of the White House web page; cutting funding from Planned Parenthood; fucking up the first dance.. and that is just the very start of this administration.

I still can't get over the fact that America elected a reality TV "star" (with no curriculum that could make it resemble he is fit for the job at all) as their president. Had I spent the last 5 years of my life in a cave and erupted only to hear that, there is no way in hell I would have believed it. These are weird times.

0SglOPV.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Does Taylor do anything with politics? I feel like all the other girls have done so but I've seen nothing from her

DOWN

Banned
She allegedly voted Hillary but did nothing to speak out overtly

She wore a Hillary esque look along with Lena Dunham and others in her squad for polling day

MANUELF

Banned
She allegedly voted Hillary but did nothing to speak out overtly

She wore a Hillary esque look along with Lena Dunham and others in her squad for polling day
Would Taylord gospel change history when Thiefyonce, Fadga and Kat Perra couldnt?
Are you saying she is bigger than them combined?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Would Taylord gospel change history when Thiefyonce, Fadga and Kat Perra couldnt?
Are you saying she is bigger than them combined?

Like it or not Swift is bigger than them all, in particular that she is championed as a role model for young girls because she doesn't sexualise herself like the other girls do.

It's disappointing that she couldn't even muster the energy to do a 2 minute video on youtube to denounce Trump/Republicans and their bullshit. I guess she is too concerned with her image and sales.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Like it or not Swift is bigger than them all, in particular that she is championed as a role model for young girls because she doesn't sexualise herself like the other girls do.

It's disappointing that she couldn't even muster the energy to do a 2 minute video on youtube to denounce Trump/Republicans and their bullshit. I guess she is too concerned with her image and sales.
Probably because she has a lot of republican fans since she was a country star for 8 years.
Did anyone else march today? The turnout in Austin was yuuuuge
I didn't see a point in marching honestly.

I don't think it has any power honestly in this case.
How does it not?

The news cycle is entirely dominated by these protests. THAT is power.

Not every protest is about effecting a specific goal. When one in a thousand works, like with the Dakota Access pipeline, that's great. But protesting is not worthless if it doesn't achieve change.

WaffleTaco

How does it not?

The news cycle is entirely dominated by these protests. THAT is power.

Not every protest is about effecting a specific goal. When one in a thousand works, like with the Dakota Access pipeline, that's great. But protesting is not worthless if it doesn't achieve change.
I think protesting without change actually happening is rather pointless. It's awesome that this was organised all over the world, but this doesn't affect anything and will be forgotten in a week. It's sad and it sucks, but what can you do.

Yeah, saying protest doesn't do anything (even in a case like this) is entirely missing the point as to why we do it. We made a huge statement today, and hopefully we continue making noise this term.

I think protesting without change actually happening is rather pointless. It's awesome that this was organised all over the world, but this doesn't affect anything and will be forgotten in a week. It's sad and it sucks, but what can you do.
Well, that's you.

If people only protested because they thought it would change something every single time, nobody would bother protesting. The DAPL shit had been going on for weeks yet nobody cared until the protests started ramping up.

Protesting is taking part in democracy nearly as much as voting is. For example you wouldn't say voting for a candidate who doesn't win means that voting was pointless. You tried.

WaffleTaco

Yeah, saying protest doesn't do anything (even in a case like this) is entirely missing the point as to why we do it. We made a huge statement today, and hopefully we continue making noise this term.
A statement of what? That people hate Trump? That's quite obvious, he's always had terrible approval numbers from women and minorities.
Well, that's you.

If people only protested because they thought it would change something every single time, nobody would bother protesting. The DAPL shit had been going on for weeks yet nobody cared until the protests started ramping up.

Protesting is taking part in democracy nearly as much as voting is. For example you wouldn't say voting for a candidate who doesn't win means that voting was pointless. You tried.
Those protests worked because they were out there every single day (right?). Unless you have this amount of people outside the White House nothing will change. Just wait four years and vote his ass out of office.

How do you think people get mobilized to vote though? The Tea Party movement was the result of anti-Obama sentiment that became so overwhelming (due partly to protests happening around the country) that they completely immobilized the president with the midterm elections in 2010. Protest and loudness have real effects. They might not be tangible changes that happen tomorrow but you have to see things more long term.

Also, Hillary losing to the cheeto is an obvious enough example of how bad shit happens when people aren't passionate enough to vote. So telling people their passion doesn't matter doesn't serve to benefit you in the least.

WaffleTaco

How do you think people get mobilized to vote though? The Tea Party movement was the result of anti-Obama sentiment that became so overwhelming (due partly to protests happening around the country) that they completely immobilized the president with the midterm elections in 2010. Protest and loudness have real effects. They might not be tangible changes that happen tomorrow but you have to see things more long term.

Also, Hillary losing to the cheeto is an obvious enough example of how bad shit happens when people aren't passionate enough to vote. So telling people their passion doesn't matter doesn't serve to benefit you in the least.
I kind of just assume people should already be mobilized. It's not that hard to do to go vote. Maybe I am expecting too much of people. And these people protesting are already the people that voted because they are organised and know what to do. They should have been doing this before the election, not after this clown was elected.

I kind of just assume people should already be mobilized. It's not that hard to do to go vote. Maybe I am expecting too much of people. And these people protesting are already the people that voted because they are organised and know what to do. They should have been doing this before the election, not after this clown was elected.

Lower your expectations sis. We just voted in a narcissistic Manchurian candidate, despite story after story that should have buried him. We're not a politically savvy people. Savor passion like this, because in our case it can have some powerful leverage. It's about fucking time liberals started stomping their feet. Lol

WaffleTaco

Lower your expectations sis. We just voted in a narcissistic Manchurian candidate, despite story after story that should have buried him. We're not a politically savvy people. Savor passion like this, because in our case it can have some powerful leverage. It's about fucking time liberals started stomping their feet. Lol
I've still not re-gained hope lol. I just want this momentum to keep going and not stop. I just want a movement that won't end after a weekend.

Also did we ever figure out why The Flop voted for that Asshole.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I've still not re-gained hope lol. I just want this momentum to keep going and not stop. I just want a movement that won't end after a weekend.

Also did we ever figure out why The Flop voted for that Asshole.

Out of white heterosexual privilege.

Ugh, this infuriates me to no end. Could you imagine the complete shitstorm that would have ensued had Obama had even one of the things happened to him that happened to Drumpf? But emails and stuff. This is why we protest and this is why we need to go out and vote in 2018. Every bit matters.

Top Bottom