• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

I'm watching Petra's Superb Owl performance and like.... The beginning when she's riding that giant lion robot thing alone has way more visual spectacle than Gaga's entire performance tbh

Exactly. I think people are seriously downplaying how amazing Katy Perry super bowl performance was. The lion, utilizing the entire floor with the 3D visuals, the theme changes , missy and when she was flying around with the fireworks. That was one of the most beautiful SB performances ever....and then Lady Gaga's was like a full step back. It felt like a boring concert tbh. I was expecting GAGA in full force, but she was so tame. Weve seen her birthed from an egg, stabbing herself and blood dropping all over her body while swinging, being thrown up on, wearing an entire Michelin man outfit, and all we got was a jump from the top of the stadium, a one piece suit and some regular choreo? Disappointed

The least she could of done was some Cris Angel magically illusion stuff. Which now make me mad that she didn't even perform perfect illusion....smh.

That's why Rihanna has to be next because she has bops for ages, she can dance a bit but I can see a perry style SB performance for her.

Not to mention Katy started out with Roar and Dark Horse, the most recent hits she's had and it didn't feel like she was just going through a "most popular songs from Teenage Dream" list. The Dark Horse part with the floor and chess piece costumes was just so good honestly.

xaosslug

Exactly. I think people are seriously downplaying how amazing Katy Perry super bowl performance was. The lion, utilizing the entire floor with the 3D visuals, the theme changes , missy and when she was flying around with the fireworks. That was one of the most beautiful SB performances ever....and then Lady Gaga's was like a full step back. It felt like a boring concert tbh. I was expecting GAGA in full force, but she was so tame. Weve seen her birthed from an egg, stabbing herself and blood dropping all over her body while swinging, being thrown up on, wearing an entire Michelin man outfit, and all we got was a jump from the top of the stadium, a one piece suit and some regular choreo? Disappointed

The least she could of done was some Cris Angel magically illusion stuff. Which now make me mad that she didn't even perform perfect illusion....smh.

That's why Rihanna has to be next because she has bops for ages, she can dance a bit but I can see a perry style SB performance for her.

did you see her flop-ass VMA performance(s throughout the broadcast)? Mess. I would be embarrassed for her, tbh. >__<

Not to mention Katy started out with Roar and Dark Horse, the most recent hits she's had and it didn't feel like she was just going through a "most popular songs from Teenage Dream" list. The Dark Horse part with the floor and chess piece costumes was just so good honestly.

not to mention Sharky went supernova viral, too. Gaga wishes, tbh

I mean the above few posts are just full of truth.

Katy's was leaguessss better. Forget the vocals for a sec. Katy's songs, the giant lion, then how fireworks ended the thing. The fact it had two recent hits in it. And tbh the vocals were only awful when she sang teenage dream otherwise it was okay.

As a performance and spectacle katy destroyed gaga! Now let that sink in.

Gaga failed to deliver much pazzazz and spectacle. She had energy in spades and some hit songs but that's it. her costumes were boooring too.

So yes Katy stays winning. And deserved to win in ratings.

Coldplay sucked too frankly and were just dull. Chris martin's vocals were shockinfly off that day. Thank lawd for bey and bruno.

Once again katy won.

katy-perry-large.jpg

6– KATY PERRY (2.96)
Katy barely misses the top 5 as well as the 3.0 threshold score, but there’s a lot to unpack here. First, Katy scored second highest in overall LIKABILITY (3.9), and placed strong in IMPACT (3.45). What pulled her down was her score in VOCALS (2.18, though she did edge out Taylor), and the fact that the remaining categories (DISCOGRAPHY, PERFORMANCE, FUTURE ODDS) weren’t very impressive. The relatively low confidence in her FUTURE ODDS can be blamed on her reputation as a top 40 artist, but with only three albums under her belt, she has more to prove with her musical chops.

featured_5_3.jpg

5– BRITNEY SPEARS (3.14)
Britney Spears landed the second highest score for IMPACT (4.31), and the lowest score for VOCALS (1.63). Everything else however was quite strong, with relatively high FUTURE ODDS (3.45). For someone with her catalog, you may be surprised by the divisive ratings for her DISCOGRAPHY (3.0), but by now we all know where we stand on her music. You either like it or you don’t, and that divide showed up in LIKABILITY and PERFORMANCE as well. The latter is a misnomer though, since classic Brit and recent Brit might have scored differently.

lady-gaga-artpop-teaser-1374485085-custom-0.jpg

4– LADY GAGA (3.45)
Stefani’s scores were generally all over the place, particularly when it came to DISCOGRAPHY (3.09, a tick above Britney’s) and LIKABILITY (3.13). She scored quite high in IMPACT (3.9) as well as VOCALS (3.72). Almost every category had an equal amount of “very strong” and “average” scoring, and the lack of consensus shows that she is both an acquired taste and an inconsistent player. Her reputation as a wild card rattles our confidence in her FUTURE ODDS (3.27), for example, but she’s also one of only three girls who doesn’t dip below 3.0 in any category. A jack of all trades, master of none.

d2d7bf760887fc3f59240f22e842e240.jpg

3– RIHANNA (3.57)
Queen Rih pulls ahead of Gaga by scoring top billing on LIKABILITY (4.54!) and the second highest score on FUTURE ODDS (4.18). Unlike her peers in the top 5 however, she has two major shortfalls: VOCALS (2.5, low in the pack) and PERFORMANCE (2.68). Despite the discord, she still scored very high on IMPACT (4.09), and her DISCOGRAPHY (3.45) tied with Lana for second place. Unlike Katy Perry’s middling scores in the more abstract categories, Rihanna excels. Call her the People’s Queen.

-Adele-adele-30741836-500-300.png

2– ADELE (3.73)
Adele crashes into second place, with the second highest score in VOCALS (4.4) and second highest in LIKABILITY (3.9). Despite her relatively short career span, her IMPACT (at 3.7) has been decisive enough to give us confidence in her FUTURE ODDS (4.0, though slightly beaten by Rihanna). She scores lowest on PERFORMANCE (3.04), not surprising given her muted style, and her just-fine DISCOGRAPHY score (3.36) can be blamed on just having three albums.

beyonce-super-bowl-50-500x300.jpg

1– BEYONCE (4.37)
Beyonce’s placement is unsurprising, but it’s still worth exploring where she stands across these categories. The short version is that she won every category except for LIKABILITY (Rihanna takes that one), with her highest tally being PERFORMANCE (4.68, the highest score in the whole poll). It’s important to note that Beyonce automatically carries the advantage of a longer career span, thus a discography with more breadth, as well as the fact that she is, at this moment, sitting squarely in middle of her imperial phase. Her massive popularity right now can be seen in the slightly polarizing results for LIKABILITY, but everything else was fairly unanimous. She’s the top bitch.

Hmmm, I would say I can see drake doing it but tbh, even with his mainstream pop sounds, I don't think HE would want to do it. I could only see this if the NFL wants to remain progressive (lol) in Trumps America that having pure Hip Hop was no longer an asterisk on the purity test. The Weeknd I can see somewhat, or that other little boy...Shawn Mendez or something. If not, prepare for Luke Bryan or Sam hunt or Tim McGraw because I feel country is next.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Country makes sense unfortunately. But what the hell is The Weeknd going to sing, he only has two successful commercial albums. Drake doesn't have that many hits that suit the Superbowl. And Shawn Mendes...lol, we likely to get Bieber before him. Honestly they should let Kanye West do it, at least he has popular songs that would sound good for the stadium.

Oooo I would so stan Bieber!!! Soo many hits!

But he is just way too hated I think :(

Shawn is so hot and like dream boyfriend material but LOL he would be horribad for superbowl

Edit:speaking of canadians!

Celine dion?

Michael buble?

xaosslug

I think it'll be a male next year tbh maybe like The Weeknd or some shit

if Beaver hasn't completely gone off the rails by then... it will probably be him. He's far bigger than Gaga and Katy combined, so if his label/team feel like spending the coins it will probs be him.

or if 1D stays flopping as solo artists, they might do it to signal the group coming back together and another album/ww tour, etc.

WaffleTaco

I'm not sure if Bieber has enough hits yet, but people love Bieber now, he gained mad respect for his last album.

I dont know why but I feel Maroon 5 is next and it will be nuclear trash

They would be a decent pick actually.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The numbers don't lie, and Gaga just can't seem to beat Katy.

117.5 million
people watched Gaga's halftime show, vs. Katy's 118.5 million people record.

Poor Stefani. No guest stars was yet another in a string of career miscalculations. She should have brought Beyoncé to the stage during Telephone, that would have given her the ratings boost she needed, Katy had Missy after all.
dbUgjcJ.gif

MANUELF

Banned
True bieber did get respect with purpose! And he deserved to as well.

Maybe Adele will be picked.

Maroon 5 sounds like a safe and boring pic but straight male america will stan for it.

Maybe Imagine Dragons?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Gaga decline is real. Remember when everyone said Katy Perry would disappear after her first album? Let me listen to Witness by Katy Perry

WaffleTaco

The numbers don't lie, and Gaga just can't seem to beat Katy.

117.5 million
people watched Gaga's halftime show, vs. Katy's 118.5 million people record.

Poor Stefani. No guest stars was yet another in a string of career miscalculations. She should have brought Beyoncé to the stage during Telephone, that would have given her the ratings boost she needed, Katy had Missy after all.
dbUgjcJ.gif

I mean 1 million people is not a significant difference.

Maroon 5 sounds like a safe and boring pic but straight male america will stan for it.

Maybe Imagine Dragons?

Adele has like two fast paced songs. Imagine Dragons isn't really popular anymore. Fallout Boy would be a more likely choice actually.

llehuty

Maybe Imagine Dragons?

Apparently Adele was offered the spot but declined this year. If they keep asking the artist to pay, we are going to get shit performances from now on. What's the point to pay to perform if you are a popular artist, when they are getting huge amount of money to perform in several award shows with zero stakes?

Mau ®;229850677 said:
Katy has been making better music than Gaga for years now. Ya'll were just hating too much to notice.
Well Prism >>>>> Joanne + Artpop

Still can't at legendary lovers, walking on air and international smile not being singles

Decarabia

I wonder if they'd pick Justin Timberlake to do the halftime show... I mean, it's been 13 years and lord knows no one ever blamed him for what happened.

In any case
trash.gif

xaosslug

IDK? I think y'all are classically setting Katy up for a big fall... I don't think her comeback will be that big. I mean judging by the lackluster performance of her Olympics song her fanbase seems to have outgrown her? And Radio isn't here for ha either... we'll see, tho. >__>

I want her to come back and slay

Lord knows we need a traditional pop queen now that gagged is a country artist & legacy act, only slaying when she dips into her rich history. &#128557;

Mau ®;229851867 said:
Why does Katy always try some shit when Gaga is having a moment? &#128128;

Bless her.

She's really competitive, which I kind of like about her. Have you seen her Halftime BTS doc? She's thirsty for it.

Yikes at calling her music superior tho

It really is so iconic how Katy did a more successful version of Gaga's career tho.

The early album with some smashes but is generally regarded as the weakest. Gaga was bigger here, but not for long...

The second album, with good singles and the music is a slay and a half. Some say this is the peak. Katy utterly destroys the charts.

The third album, which is good but not as good as the second, followed by political activism. Katy wins commercially again, but is starting to dip towards the later singles - just like Gaga did with her third album.

We can even include Katy Hudson/Stefani Germanotta - weird first albums that nobody bought.

So will KP4 be Katy's ARTPOP?

It really is so iconic how Katy did a more successful version of Gaga's career tho.

The early album with some smashes but is generally regarded as the weakest. Gaga was bigger here, but not for long...

The second album, with good singles and the music is a slay and a half. Some say this is the peak. Katy utterly destroys the charts.

The third album, which is good but not as good as the second, followed by political activism. Katy wins commercially again, but is starting to dip towards the later singles - just like Gaga did with her third album.

We can even include Katy Hudson/Stefani Germanotta - weird first albums that nobody bought.

So will KP4 be Katy's ARTPOP?

Katy was always meant to be the bigger pop star. Gaga's way too stylized to hold top billing for that long. She got on everyone's nerves three years in, lol. Katy's easy listening.

My question is: why does everyone need her to be the biggest pop star in the world again? Why can't she have her shine over in the corner instead?

Katy was always meant to be the bigger pop star. Gaga's way too stylized to hold top billing for that long. She got on everyone's nerves three years in, lol. Katy's easy listening.

My question is: why does everyone need her to be the biggest pop star in the world again? Why can't she have her shine over in the corner instead?
You should ask gaga that question. After all, she was the one who pulled the plug on ARTPOP because it wasn't going too well commercially.

Top Bottom