• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Timber said:
I've only ever played the Gamecube version, which, thanks to Ubisoft's sometimes too extensive localisation, didn't give me the option to play it in English. It was either Dutch or French, I believe.

It's always kinda bummed me out that I had to settle for Dutch voices and text, but after having seen the Giant Bomb QL I now realize that I'd been playing the MASTER RACE SUPERIOR VERSION all along. Jade's English voice actor sounds bored and monotone whereas in Dutch she's motherly, and Dutch Pey'j is the kind of jovial avuncular manpig you'd expect him to be instead of a hick.

Anyway just wanted to gloat. Bow down peasants and all that.
I have the North American Cube version and it played in English just fine... it had all the languages.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did we ever find out what they did to the soundtrack? As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the original and used in all the same places. Did they simply remaster the audio at a higher bitrate or something?

NullPointer said:
Got a hard lock just after completing the first mission. Not good Ubi, not good.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit, and it runs smooth as buttered silk, but now it's in cold storage until I see a patch :(
Played for hours and haven't seen a problem. I wouldn't wait, you probably just ran into a fluke.

Empty

got all the pearls, now i just need to take on the final dungeon. don't think i'll bother getting all the animal pictures, maybe, i'll see how i feel tomorrow.

game is just as good as ever on my fourth playthrough. it's really such a joy. the characters, the world design, the attention to detail across the entire game, how it's brimming with personality and its own style, the way the world reacts to your actions, the way they cram so much side content into such a small world, the variation in gameplay, the music. i even love the puzzle style design of the stealth sections, though the stealth is probably the weakest part of the game. as always when i get to this point i just wish it had more, another dungeon, a larger city area to roam, a slightly bigger area to explore, though one without sacrificing the density of the world as is of course.

Lingitiz

Luthos said:
So what's the deal with the PSN release?

I thought it was coming out the same day.
Its part of Microsoft's House Party promo so don't expect it for a month or two. They haven't really said anything though.

Empty

does anyone know what the internet codes you get when you save the game gave you back when the website was still around?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Lingitiz said:
Its part of Microsoft's House Party promo so don't expect it for a month or two. They haven't really said anything though.
I'm hoping for a PS+ discount since we have to wait so long to get it.

Kevtones

Glad I bought this. It's definitely not great, but it's pretty relaxing and fun to me. Felt the same way about it 7 years ago but that's enough.

AniHawk

welp, looks like this game may be the last ride my 360 takes. it was having problems during new vegas, but freezing seemed to be a feature in that game. now i just had it stop during the opening cutscene with some white vertical lines appearing on the screen.

The_Dude

Game suddenly stopped letting me save, which was annoying, but otherwise I'm loving it as much as I did when I first played it. Had to make a concerted effort to stop playing and take a break!

It will be one of the biggest mistakes/misses in gaming history if this game never get a sequel. I've always wanted one, but seeing BG&E in HD now has really pushed me over the edge. This is a series demanding a bigger take on its universe, and use of current streaming technology. Just imagining if they used the Assassin's Creed engine to create a new world for Jade to run around in...
damn Ubi

Emitan

I have a huge issue with buying games and never beating them. I've had almost no time to play this game between work, classes, and homework, but I've almost gotten 100% on it. I made it to the Slaughterhouse and quit on the PC version years ago because of how horrible it was. I'm past that part and still loving it!

Have all the pearls and missing one animal. The last one is in space, right? Can I miss it? I really want to get everything in this game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This really is a lazy port.

It's not bad, mind you, but it just feels like they got that game to run on the new system and called it a day.

Still, the game is TIMELESS, so bringing it to a new audience at a cheap price is great, regardless.

I like my Y inverted, and my X non inverted, so i signed. But i think i had to deal with this in Wind Waker as well. And that is one of my all time favorite games. But we need a option to adjust this. Should not be hard for them to patch in right?

shwimpy

Spasm said:
Thread on the Ubi forums anyone disappointed with inverted controls should sign.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/908103432/m/7381052319
No inverted controls?!

vader-nooooo.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Princess Skittles said:

It's not bad, mind you, but it just feels like they got that game to run on the new system and called it a day.

Still, the game is TIMELESS, so bringing it to a new audience at a cheap price is great, regardless.

Haven't purchased yet, but all footage screams quick-port to me as well. I feel more work was put into photo-shopping the HD insignia onto the old logo than actually mastering this game in HD.

Still, I'll buy it sometime, haven't played it since 2003 launch. Never understood the sheer adoration even then, but I'd like to revisit it.

When I played on the PS2, it took me awhile to adjust to the Y/X invert controls. I thought my mind had gone out of whack when I first started to play. Then it took me awhile to revert to my usual Y invert, X non-invert. So I suggest playing this game exclusively so the controls don't make you go crazy.

epmode

marathonfool said:
When I played on the PS2, it took me awhile to adjust to the Y/X invert controls. I thought my mind had gone out of whack when I first started to play. Then it took me awhile to revert to my usual Y invert, X non-invert. So I suggest playing this game exclusively so the controls don't make you go crazy.
If you like Y invert/X normal, this game will make you crazy no matter what you do. There's always going to be a disconnect between third person and first person views and the options screens simply can't fix the problem.

Stalfos

Billychu said:
I have a huge issue with buying games and never beating them. I've had almost no time to play this game between work, classes, and homework, but I've almost gotten 100% on it. I made it to the Slaughterhouse and quit on the PC version years ago because of how horrible it was. I'm past that part and still loving it!

Have all the pearls and missing one animal. The last one is in space, right? Can I miss it? I really want to get everything in this game.
The last animal should be pretty easy to spot but I guess its possible to miss it.

Princess Skittles said:

Hey, after playing Sonic Adventure on XBLA, this port is great. Runs smooth, it's in 720p, 60FPS, and widescreen.

Stalfos said:
The last animal should be pretty easy to spot but I guess its possible to miss it.

I know I missed it at the time.

Also, the final save point is a point-of-no-return, unless they've changed that. It should be fairly obvious where I mean once you get there, but you have been warned.

Billychu said:

I'm actually really glad to hear that the game gets better after the slaughterhouse portion as I quit there years ago and really want to abandon ship again now that I'm there again.

Tomasooie

Brandon F said:
Haven't purchased yet, but all footage screams quick-port to me as well. I feel more work was put into photo-shopping the HD insignia onto the old logo than actually mastering this game in HD.
It was definitely done on the cheap. There's not even any music or a demo on the title screen! But the game itself is nearly perfect, and at least the savings were passed on to us, it seems.

Interesting that both Sega's Dreamcast (mostly PC, really) ports and this were done by studios in Shanghai -- Sega Shanghai and Ubisoft Shanghai, respectively. Must be as cheap as you can go.

Emitan

Stalfos said:
Missed it and beat the game. I have a save before
going into space
so I guess I can look for it again. I have no idea what I'm even looking for though because I didn't see anything I could take a picture of.

Saint10118 said:
I'm actually really glad to hear that the game gets better after the slaughterhouse portion as I quit there years ago and really want to abandon ship again now that I'm there again.
I wasn't calling the slaughterhouse bad (but it was my least favorite portion), I was talking about the port.

crpav

I remember when this was first released and I was on the fence on buying it and ended up not getting it for some reason This was in a time i bought about every game that came out. I was buying about 6 new games every 2 weeks. I still don't know why I never bought it back when it was released. I am glad it came out on XBox Live and got it day 1. I may still go to ebay and buy a copy for the XBox, PS2, Gamecube or all 3.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I need to go back and finish my GameCube version... I can't remember where I left off so many years ago, but I still have my memory card and the Wii is waiting.

I vaguely recall that there was some weird glitch with the GC version - something about controller ports and a controller not working if some condition were set. I'll have to check on that.

DavidDayton said:
I need to go back and finish my GameCube version... I can't remember where I left off so many years ago, but I still have my memory card and the Wii is waiting.

I vaguely recall that there was some weird glitch with the GC version - something about controller ports and a controller not working if some condition were set. I'll have to check on that.

There was also a game breaking bug if I recall as well.

Zennshi

Neo Member
shwimpy said:
No inverted controls?!

I think you can Change to inverted Y axis by changing the "Action" Game Defaults in your Xbox Settings !

Profile > Game Defaults > Action > Y-Axis

Goddamnit. I'm early in the game
Just beat the boss after you rescue Double H
And remember that area he fell down? Where he was hanging on the pipe? I fell down there too, but I went thru the wall and now I'm stuck in a black abyss.

I haven't saved in awhile, I don't see any restart checkpoint option, HOW CAN I KILL MYSELF??

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
VitaminApple said:
There was also a game breaking bug if I recall as well.

I remember something about that, but I thought it was one of those obscure things. Anyone know?

Zennshi

Neo Member
Scuba Steve said:
And remember that area he fell down? Where he was hanging on the pipe? I fell down there too, but I went thru the wall and now I'm stuck in a black abyss.

I haven't saved in awhile, I don't see any restart checkpoint option, HOW CAN I KILL MYSELF??

This Happend to me too =(
I think your only Option is to reload from the last Save game =/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Scuba Steve said:

I fell into a black abyss of nothingness earlier in that area, I just had to restart from earlier.

I'm at the
slaughterhouse
now and really don't like this area, the camera seems really finicky and I don't like being in the boat as much as this level seems to want me to, but I'll keep pushing on.

Emitan

Scuba Steve said:

This happened to me in the Akuda bar but luckily I had saved just before it happened. I had to load my save because you can't hurt yourself.

Emitan

JimWood27 said:
damn you, Francis, and your pellet game right to Hell...
I was shouting when I won the second pearl from him. The final round lasted for about 5 minutes with me keeping the last disc on his side while I frantically tried to get the other 7 back over. It was honestly one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a game for a while.

Does anyone want to tell me what the last animal is? I still can't find it.

Top Bottom