• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

Emitan

JimWood27 said:
the last animal
is encased in ice as you fly to the moon, shoot it out and take the picture
Crap, I saw the ice and couldn't take a picture but never though of shooting it :/

Mollymauk

Zennshi said:
I think you can Change to inverted Y axis by changing the "Action" Game Defaults in your Xbox Settings !

Profile > Game Defaults > Action > Y-Axis
Unfortunately that inverts X as well. It's either invert all or nothing with this game. :(

Grisby

Had a lockup after a bonus mission in town, :( ,lost about 25min of progress. Not much but it still sucks.

Jade got killed and it just went to a black screen, locking up the system. True death of a character, lol.

I'm very pleased. I went in expecting overhyped mediocrity. I'm not that far in..
I just finished the races, the looter caves, and am about to do the Slaughterhouse mission.
But this has become my favorite XBLA game yet. Hoping that sequel comes through.

Camera during the stealth parts is a disgrace, even for a game this old. Also remember to save often because if you fall through the ground there is no way to revert to checkpoint or kill yourself, youre just totally fucked.

watkinzez

Fix The Scientist said:
Camera during the stealth parts is a disgrace, even for a game this old. Also remember to save often because if you fall through the ground there is no way to revert to checkpoint or kill yourself, youre just totally fucked.

It's a damn shame, because the original had an excellent camera in those sections. Crouching behind a table would let you slowly move the camera up above it to see guard patrols. The XBLA version will only snap from one extremity to the other, so it looks tacky and feels finicky. The worst case by far is controlling the hovercraft in the Slaughterhouse areas, where it tries to apply the stealth camera controls (god knows why) and only lets you look straight down at the craft or right behind it, half-obscured by its wake. The puzzle where you lead the torpedoes into the barriers to advance is a bitch, given you can't see where they are half the time.

It sounds like I'm really down on the port, but it's a pretty stupid oversight that's stopping this from being the definitive version. Reassigning mouse controls to a game pad is not a five-minute rush job.

Wario64 said:
If a sequel does come, anyone think it might be digital release only and not retail?

I wouldn't be against that if it had to be (because of money issues or whatever). Shit they could even make it episodic I don't care.

epmode

watkinzez said:
Reassigning mouse controls to a game pad is not a five-minute rush job.
Yeah, it really feels like that's what happened here. Another half-assed Ubisoft port. At least it was only $10.

wwm0nkey

StevePharma said:
I wouldn't be against that if it had to be (because of money issues or whatever). Shit they could even make it episodic I don't care.
Episodic release would be great actually. 3 episodes at $15 a piece and thanks to the XBL 2 gig limit, all episodes combined would add up to that of a full retail game.

I didn't get to play this in 2003 and I was desperate for something new aside from Dead Space 2. So far I am really liking BG&E and besides the camera issues, this actually holds up really well in 2011.

Bread

Banned
I'm playing for the first time as well, and it seems pretty cool so far. I really liked the slow mo fight against the 3 enemies at the beginning, it really showed how impressive the combat animations are.

Grisby

Urg, I had another lockup in the same place. Has anyone else had this happen?

It's in town in one of the alpha section missions. I can get through the whole part but at the end theres a pseudo chase sequence where Jade has to run away. It locked up once when I died and the other time right when I was near the end (didn't die, just froze).

When and did some other things like looter runs and everything seemed fine. Sucks because theres 3 pearls for that mission.

Here's a question: I'm at the garage. I have 20 pearls. I can afford the flight stabilizer, but there's also the jump kit for the hovercraft that's 15 pearls. Do I NEED the jump kit? Is the flight stabilizer a step up? Or will I need both eventually anyway?

Gooster said:
Here's a question: I'm at the garage. I have 20 pearls. I can afford the flight stabilizer, but there's also the jump kit for the hovercraft that's 15 pearls. Do I NEED the jump kit? Is the flight stabilizer a step up? Or will I need both eventually anyway?
you will need to buy everything from Mammago but you need the jump kit to advance the game first and then the stabilizer. I havent tried but I would guess that they wont even let you buy the stabilizer before the jump kit.

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
Episodic release would be great actually. 3 episodes at $15 a piece and thanks to the XBL 2 gig limit, all episodes combined would add up to that of a full retail game.
Nobody read this. People from Ubisoft visit the Ass creed thread please.

Empty

TheOddOne said:
Nobody read this. People from Ubisoft visit the Ass creed thread please.

don't worry. i'll just remind them that if they make it episodic they can't sell me an overpriced collectors edition.

Empty

Net_Wrecker said:
If there's any game I would buy an overpriced CE for it's BG&E2.

yep. i never care about art books, but i'd love a bg&e artbook. a soundtrack cd would be amazing if christiophe heral is still doing it, so i'd treasure that. i'd dig a making of video, given how awesome ancel is and the crazy development. i'd buy all the dlc and want all the bonus missions so download coupons would come in handy. i'd also really appreciate a plush pey'j or even a jade statue or anything physical like that when normally i'd be ashamed to have it lying around. so ubisoft please feel free to gouge away.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So are they able to patch the inversion issue? I want to know if I should just keep playing now and manage my way through it, or wait for a patch.

watkinzez said:
It's a damn shame, because the original had an excellent camera in those sections. Crouching behind a table would let you slowly move the camera up above it to see guard patrols. The XBLA version will only snap from one extremity to the other, so it looks tacky and feels finicky. The worst case by far is controlling the hovercraft in the Slaughterhouse areas, where it tries to apply the stealth camera controls (god knows why) and only lets you look straight down at the craft or right behind it, half-obscured by its wake. The puzzle where you lead the torpedoes into the barriers to advance is a bitch, given you can't see where they are half the time.

It sounds like I'm really down on the port, but it's a pretty stupid oversight that's stopping this from being the definitive version. Reassigning mouse controls to a game pad is not a five-minute rush job.

good, i'm not going crazy (I didn't think the camera was like that in the PS2 version.) The jumpy camera is completely terrible and is really taking away from my enjoyment of the port.

Finished the game today and I will agree that it's not a great port.

The camera is really, really poor, almost reaching Sonic 2006 levels of awfulness. Almost every fight with an Alpha Sections soldier resulted in the camera going behind walls, jumping all over the place or underneath the floor. Multiple cutscenes also look awful due to flickering objects or a shaking camera.

Aside from that it crashed and lost half an hour of unsaved progress, Jade was stuck floating in mid-air after riding down an elevator and I had a usable POD stuck in Jade's inventory.

I am going to say something controversial here. Beyond Good & Evil is, without a doubt, one of my top 5 games ever BUT I think I have decided I do not want a sequel. It will have been 8 years between releases (at least) if 2 ever sees the light of day and I do not think that a sequel can retain what made the first so great to me. BG&E contains so much heart and has so much soul to it that, even if Ancel gets to do everything he wants in a sequel (fat chance, gotta check those boxes, right Ubisoft?), it is going to be damn near impossible to replicate.

Why does every game need a sequel or be transformed into a franchise? Why can't a great game stand on its own? I don't like where the game starts to head in the last bit and what role Jade plays in an attempt to create a larger lore for a series and wish it resolved differently. Change that, making it a game that doesnt need another game or isnt set up for another, and let the game just be itself. Not everything needs to be announced as a trilogy.

plus, they would shoehorn in a terrible multiplayer or some other feature that would only detract from the package. and there is no way it would live up to 8 years of wanting, even if it was great.

let Beyond Good & Evil be a classic on its own.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Azure Phoenix said:
Finished the game today and I will agree that it's not a great port.

The camera is really, really poor, almost reaching Sonic 2006 levels of awfulness. Almost every fight with an Alpha Sections soldier resulted in the camera going behind walls, jumping all over the place or underneath the floor. Multiple cutscenes also look awful due to flickering objects or a shaking camera.

Aside from that it crashed and lost half an hour of unsaved progress, Jade was stuck floating in mid-air after riding down an elevator and I had a usable POD stuck in Jade's inventory.

Not fun reading posts like this. I had hopes this'd be the definitive version of the game, but it seems the glitches and bugs that were present even in the original release, are still there. No Y-axis inversion is offputting.

I love BG&E to bits, but I'm also all too familiar with the game-breaking bugs it has. I had to completely restart my first playthrough back in the day because Double H disappeared on me in a dungeon. I was never able to get it running without problems on my pc as well. It's such a shame that a gem like this has such annoying technical problems. I still want to play through this game once without bugs or glitches.

krakov

Grisby said:
Urg, I had another lockup in the same place. Has anyone else had this happen?

It's in town in one of the alpha section missions. I can get through the whole part but at the end theres a pseudo chase sequence where Jade has to run away. It locked up once when I died and the other time right when I was near the end (didn't die, just froze).

When and did some other things like looter runs and everything seemed fine. Sucks because theres 3 pearls for that mission.

I had a freeze at the same location when I died there. Also had one before one of the bosses, in a cutscene.

goldenpp72

JimWood27 said:
I am going to say something controversial here. Beyond Good & Evil is, without a doubt, one of my top 5 games ever BUT I think I have decided I do not want a sequel. It will have been 8 years between releases (at least) if 2 ever sees the light of day and I do not think that a sequel can retain what made the first so great to me. BG&E contains so much heart and has so much soul to it that, even if Ancel gets to do everything he wants in a sequel (fat chance, gotta check those boxes, right Ubisoft?), it is going to be damn near impossible to replicate.

Why does every game need a sequel or be transformed into a franchise? Why can't a great game stand on its own? I don't like where the game starts to head in the last bit and what role Jade plays in an attempt to create a larger lore for a series and wish it resolved differently. Change that, making it a game that doesnt need another game or isnt set up for another, and let the game just be itself. Not everything needs to be announced as a trilogy.

plus, they would shoehorn in a terrible multiplayer or some other feature that would only detract from the package. and there is no way it would live up to 8 years of wanting, even if it was great.

let Beyond Good & Evil be a classic on its own.

Maybe if the game wasn't announced to be a series and didn't have a cliffhanger ending, people would be ok to leave it alone. Stupid game to pick for the 'why we need sequels!?' argument. It was very clear they had more story to tell.

brobban

So I've given it a chance. But there is no way I'm gonna finish this game if they don't patch it with the option to set inversion on x/y individually.

It's a shame, because it seems like a great game, and I've been looking forward to it for a long time..

Grisby

krakov said:
I had a freeze at the same location when I died there. Also had one before one of the bosses, in a cutscene.

Did you eventually get past that part? Or did you just leave it alone?

Empty

goldenpp72 said:
Maybe if the game wasn't announced to be a series and didn't have a cliffhanger ending, people would be ok to leave it alone. Stupid game to pick for the 'why we need sequels!?' argument. It was very clear they had more story to tell.

yes also i want more games with that kind of design. lots of different gameplay types meshed together well, a beautiful open world to explore with lots of personality, details and side dungeons, the non conflict theme with the stealth and photography, and a story whose progress reflects itself in the world. the ten hours of bg&e barely scratched the surface of that idea, and they might as well do it again with characters i really like and finish story hooks left unhanging.

AniHawk

considering the random bugs people are running into, i wonder if the freeze thing i found wasn't my 360 dying, but a random bug instead.

Grisby

AniHawk said:
considering the random bugs people are running into, i wonder if the freeze thing i found wasn't my 360 dying, but a freeze bug as well.

I would hope its not my box. On a new slim I got when they launched. I've been playing some bulletstorm before bge and thats been fine.

its a shame about the camera as I don't remember having any problems with it on my Gamecube copy... maybe I'll crack it out again this week...

MidnightCowboy said:
I'm loving the game, but damn, the combat sucks. Like, it's really bad.

I actually didn't realise how easy it was to kill the guards untill the second time I played it. I think you just needed to kick their backs and give them a whack.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Game locked up when
I died after failing to run away from the guards in the pedestrian district after doing the mini warehouse mission
. Other than that i love this game.

JaggedSac

Just completed about 16% of the game tonight. Hadn't played it before. So far it seems like a decent little adventure game. Not the greatest game in the world like some have hyped it up to be.

JaggedSac said:
Just completed about 16% of the game tonight. Hadn't played it before. So far it seems like a decent little adventure game. Not the greatest game in the world like some have hyped it up to be.
I really want to like this game, but I'm having a hard time hitting that buy button despite having the 800 points right there on my account.

I play the demo over and over, I watched video of later gameplay, but I just can't get hyped enough for it to buy.

AlexMogil

What's the stuff floating in the air way behind Looter's Cavern 4? If you get too close you get knocked back because it is a restricted area, but there's some funny little signs, maybe just some art assets just floating in the air. One of them looks like a title card for Beyond Good and Evil HD with three pictures down its left hand side.

Empty

AlexMogil said:
What's the stuff floating in the air way behind Looter's Cavern 4? If you get too close you get knocked back because it is a restricted area, but there's some funny little signs, maybe just some art assets just floating in the air. One of them looks like a title card for Beyond Good and Evil HD with three pictures down its left hand side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7rWCenv8y4 (4:20)

Agyar

Fired this up tonight and was disappointed by how unweildly the inverted controls are. I played this on PC when it was released and don't remember it frustrating me this much (and I inverted the mouse back then too).

Realistically, what the chances of Ubisoft patching this to include a more standard inversion setting?

Top Bottom