• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

overcast

I am suddenly a a bit hesitant to get this game. Don't want it to be a game that is over hyped and said to be"GOAT" but turns out a bore. Somebody sum the gameplay up. Are the stealth sections done well, what about the action?

Help me Gaf.

Lucius86

Banned
About to go for the slaughter house - this game is just totally fun, and so far I have been lucky enough not to get any bugs.

BGE2 needs to happen from what I have seen so far.

Damn. This game instills the fear of getting caught into your brain in the later stages. I had to do one part like six times because taking out the Alpha Sections was just not an option.

Lime

Agyar said:
Fired this up tonight and was disappointed by how unweildly the inverted controls are. I played this on PC when it was released and don't remember it frustrating me this much (and I inverted the mouse back then too).

Realistically, what the chances of Ubisoft patching this to include a more standard inversion setting?

Zero. Ubisoft didn't even patch the PC version of Assassin's Creed 1 so that Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers were support (wired was). It's basically just one basic file that needs to be fixed, which you'll have to do yourself. It probably takes 5 minutes to do, but Ubisoft doesn't even bother.

2 years later, Assassin's Creed 2 has the same problem. And still no fix whatsoever. I don't expect it to work in AssBro.

I'd forgotten how good this game was, it's totally solid...amazing soundtrack too. Hopefully millions of people will buy it to make up for their sins last time. I've bought this game 3 times so far so my path to heaven is clear :)

krakov

Finished the game last night. A really good game with a lot of atmosphere and personality, gameplay is kind of weak though. I'm glad I finally played it and it was well worth the 10 bucks.

The camera inversion isn't as problematic as you'd expect since a lot of the game uses a type of camera control that doesn't tilt the view.

BTW, I took the photo of the flying bug when you first get the camera so the shields turn back on. If I don't take this picture could I have went out side a photographed the flying Vorax instead? I don't really want to miss any photo opportunities...

PumpkinPie said:
BTW, I took the photo of the flying bug when you first get the camera so the shields turn back on. If I don't take this picture could I have went out side a photographed the flying Vorax instead? I don't really want to miss any photo opportunities...
not sure if you actually can do that (my guess is you can) but that is not your only opportunity to get a Vorax, you run across them in a couple other areas.

JimWood27 said:
not sure if you actually can do that (my guess is you can) but that is not your only opportunity to get a Vorax, you run across them in a couple other areas.

Ah, that's cool then. Thanks :)

Kusagari

Jesus, the camera in this game is awful and I'm somebody who never complains about the camera in games. I'm trying to get to the Slaughterhouse in the hoverboat right now and some of these sections the camera jumps around so much it''s making my head hurt.

Nessus

DavidDayton said:
I remember something about that, but I thought it was one of those obscure things. Anyone know?

Played through the GameCube version without any problems whatsoever.

Kusagari said:
Jesus, the camera in this game is awful and I'm somebody who never complains about the camera in games. I'm trying to get to the Slaughterhouse in the hoverboat right now and some of these sections the camera jumps around so much it''s making my head hurt.

I'd recommend switching to 1st person mode (compass) for the hovercraft stuff for the best results.

acm2000

well after uncharted 2 really started boring me but only 2 chapters from the end, i got this, and now addicted to it all over again, UC2 can wait till i save the people of hillys

FoggyFreek

It actually has!

Camera and game camera can be inverted. What's all the fuss about?
it's in the game options screen, can't be hard to find..

Matll

FoggyFreek said:
It actually has!

If you invert the camera it inverts both horizontal and vertical camera and that's just crazy. I had to play it through using the normal camera. It takes a while to get used to but in the end it's ok. The game was pretty fun but you can definitely notice how games have evolved since then.

FoggyFreek said:
It actually has!

Problem is that either it's inverted vertically AND horizontally or it's normal on both. ANNOYING!

AniHawk

so i beat this game a third time last night. for me, that never happens. it's rare that i replay a game once, and the only other time i played a game three times was ocarina of time, and that was in part due to master quest.

when i played it in 2008, i kinda expected my memories had been too kind to it, and no, it was as good as i remembered. and some stuff was even better: i had forgotten that home sweet home played during the game, and it came as a surprise to hear it so soon. i had also forgotten that the pictures you took were the ones that went into the iris news dealy.

also, when i played it in 2008, i went for the 100%. i didn't get all the mdisks, but i got all the photographs and pearls. so this time there really wasn't much new to do, but i did get the mdisk i'd never gotten before (the one from the internets) and i talked to a lot of people (i can't remember if i did this in 2003 and/or 2008, so it was neat to see that aspect since i was kinda taking my time).

beyond good & evil kinda falls in the same category as skies of arcadia for me. it doesn't do any particular one thing really well, but it has this incredible atmosphere and it feels like it was made with a ton of love and effort. emphasis on the love part. it's like it's somebody's dream of what they wanted a video game to be when they were a kid come true.

so i don't know if that's the case or not, but it helps me overlook some of the game's problems. well, maybe not exactly, but it feels like a lot of the problems i had with the game were on the localization side. ubisoft thought, for some reason, it was a good idea to put out NEW ANCEL GAME, PRINCE OF PERSIA REBORN, and SPLINTER CELL 2 all around the same time and during the holidays. and the less said about staggered releases the better. on top of that, i think the funding for NEW ANCEL GAME was considerably lower than the other two, especially when you consider that both sands of time and beyond good & evil were sinking ships, and ubisoft decided to only save sands of time (using splinter cell 2). they were protecting the bigger investment.

and unfortunately it shows. i think the voice of jade was right, but the acting or the directing was kinda poor. she sounded a little goofy. double h was all right, his voice fit the character and the look. but everyone else felt like a bit of a caricature. like everyone was overacting a little too much to the point they sounded like cartoon characters.

some of the writing has me wonder if it was that way where it was written. pey'j yelling 'jesus!' felt really out of place in future not-earth.

on a side note, i notice there was someone who did the cinematics orchestration, laetitia garric pansanel. did she do the music for just when people were talking? because whenever there wasn't some sort of in-game background music, the music became kinda hokey. if this and some of the writing choices were done by christophe heral and michel ancel respectively, then i'll just chalk it up to not totally shaking the silliness from the rayman games.

and finally, i have to say that it is still one of the best final bosses i can remember. i guess i was wrong before: there is one thing this game excels at and it's making the experience personal.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AniHawk said:
beyond good & evil kinda falls in the same category as skies of arcadia for me. it doesn't do any particular one thing really well, but it has this incredible atmosphere and it feels like it was made with a ton of love and effort. emphasis on the love part. it's like it's somebody's dream of what they wanted a video game to be when they were a kid come true.
While I agree with this (and posted something similar a few pages back in reply to another "it's overrated" post), but I will have to say that the soundtrack is the one thing it does REALLY well.

Gaaraz

I loved Skies of Arcadia, but yeah as a game it actually was quite terrible. It's one of my favourite games ever but looking back the only parts I remember were bad (can't even remember the story) but it did have charm in abundance, something I'm not sure BG&E has.

Just nothing about this game clicked with me, I reluctantly played for a few hours before getting utterly stuck (and bored/frustrated) by a stealth section and didn't touch it since. So why then, have I downloaded the demo of the HD version on XBLA? Ahh.

AniHawk

Princess Skittles said:
While I agree with this (and posted something similar a few pages back in reply to another "it's overrated" post), but I will have to say that the soundtrack is the one thing it does REALLY well.

oh, well, yeah. i just meant from a gameplay perspective. there's no super-awesome level design (it's good, but everything's fairly simple) or combat (which is super simple, although gets the job done), but it still goes a good ways to make you feel like you're really part of the game, and that what you do matters. your photographs are the ones in the mdisks (including your animal photographs iirc), shifts in how fast the action is during chase sequences that would be cutscenes in other games are playable in beyond good & evil, and the final boss
totally fucks with your controller at the last segment, making jade's disorientation the player's as well (and really, this was fucking brilliant).

and even though bigger things are hinted for jade from the start of the game, she's just someone with a camera. the fact that you take down the villains not due to literally destroying their base of operations, but exposing a conspiracy is still one of the cooler ways to solve a conflict in a game (and interestingly, something that still works in the modern day world). i think that the small personal touches make the end result far more rewarding.

AniHawk said:
i guess i was wrong before: there is one thing this game excels at and it's making the experience personal.
For a game with such a 'large' story, in that it affects an entire planet, it is a very intimate and personal story as well and I think that is why it has resonated with people for so long.

Princess Skittles said:
one of only about a handful of game soundtracks I have on my iPod. probably only behind the Mario Galaxy games, in my mind, because it is so varied but everything fits just right.

AniHawk said:
oh, well, yeah. i just meant from a gameplay perspective. there's no super-awesome level design (it's good, but everything's fairly simple) or combat (which is super simple, although gets the job done), but it still goes a good ways to make you feel like you're really part of the game, and that what you do matters. your photographs are the ones in the mdisks (including your animal photographs iirc), shifts in how fast the action is during chase sequences that would be cutscenes in other games are playable in beyond good & evil, and the final boss
totally fucks with your controller at the last segment, making jade's disorientation the player's as well (and really, this was fucking brilliant).

and even though bigger things are hinted for jade from the start of the game, she's just someone with a camera. the fact that you take down the villains not due to literally destroying their base of operations, but exposing a conspiracy is still one of the cooler ways to solve a conflict in a game (and interestingly, something that still works in the modern day world). i think that the small personal touches make the end result far more rewarding.
I think the simplicity of the game (the combat, the levels) and the fact that the solution to the game isn't just 'kill everything' is why the game endures.

Empty

i just loaded it into itunes and it's the same soundtrack as the online one from a while back, which i thought was a fan rip from the pc version but i don't know, right down to the metal gear domz track name. bitrate is the same too.

Pooya

Empty said:
i just loaded it into itunes and it's the same soundtrack as the online one from a while back, which i thought was a fan rip from the pc version but i don't know, right down to the metal gear domz track name. bitrate is the same too.

oh, that's lazy :\

I have played the game from beginning to end in a fairly short time, but I strangely enough did not thought it was very good. Liked the music and the atmosphere, but storywise and gameplay were lacking for me.

The story:
The story had some flaws to me, since at first I did not know the motivation of the aliens. Why they were attacking the planet and at the same time trying to persuade the habitants, but this was made clear with the youth stuff, which seem to came out of nowhere, but fine. Also Pey'J giving that disc just before he was kidnapped and you can read it seemed somewhat psychic from him. I can't recall getting any information on how you have gotten at that planet after finding out what you are and what exactly your purpose is.

The dialogues were fun, but sometimes irritating. Yes, I know he Pey'J is a damn pig and that double H does everything according to some manual but stop rubbing it in. I though the voice acting was pretty good, except for the photo database woman that became very gruesome for me to listen to.

The camera was very variating with quality, but I understand that it because it is a port from the PC version. Indeed the camera during the stealth sections were bad, but on other times very good and creating a cinematic feel.

Level design was good most of the time, there were some things redone in exactly the same way but I liked how almost everything succeeded in creating a nice circle, effectively killing the need of backtracking without need to use to teleport you to the beginning.

There were some bugs in the game, I that fell down to a black bottom (seen it mentioned before, do not know whether that is only in the XBLA version) and teammates that got stuck when they had to do something but nothing very gamebreaking.

Gameplay wise is what was the most gruesome for me and made me speed through the game. I loved how much variety there was in the game, there is a lot of different stuff to do. But the fighting if repetitive and not challenging at all, and the dodging feels wonky to me (slow animation when rolling, and a too small sidestep when sidestepping). The stealth sections had the same problems. The bosses too,
The final boss too, I hate it when they just reverse my controls. I also could not figure out that he had an attack pattern when attacking me and that I had to hit him a number of times in a row to kill him, but that is probably my fault. Strangely enough when he hits me once, he manages to do that like five times before I finally get away, which became very frustrating.
I thought the racing stuff was one of the coolest stuff. I liked the races and the looters caverns. The speed was high and the controls felt pretty good. The chases also were great fun to do although there were not a lot of them in the game.

In the end, I do not know how to feel for a second game. Storywise I thought it is not needed, until
that fucking cliffhanger, ugh
. But this IP has a lot of potential to me to become something good so I will just keep an eye on new information.

AniHawk

Prophet Steve said:
The bosses too,
The final boss too, I hate it when they just reverse my controls.

this was done for a very specific purpose though. it didn't happen just because they thought it would be some arbitrary challenge, and that's what makes it so damn great.

neos

I've never played this game, and i think i'll buy when it's released in euro.

How is the longevity?

Grisby

neos said:

How is the longevity?

I just beat it in about 8 hours. I missed a couple pearls and animals.

watkinzez

AniHawk said:
this was done for a very specific purpose though. it didn't happen just because they thought it would be some arbitrary challenge, and that's what makes it so damn great.

Back in my original playthrough, I do remember being confused at what to do when he appears above you, having never used the dodge button in combat up to that point. The gradual fade in as Jade recovers her bearings is brilliant though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
neos said:

How is the longevity?

This was the first time I played it, took me a little over 12 hours. I got all the pearls and animals in the process, though it's only showing 95%. Guess I missed something.

Holy. Shit.

I'm trying to go for the achievement for six film rolls' worth of every species in the game, but there's one in the Slaughterhouse (Trolley Area past the Surveillance Room) that's like a bunch of bubbles and if I get anywhere NEAR the area it hides behind a bunch of junk and I keep having to exit and reenter just to try and get this shot. If you know what I am talking about, how the hell did you get this shot? Thanks.

Gah, I just found out this game was released in HD and is already out! I want to play it now but my 360 HDD has been completely filled up for years. I've already had to delete a few games off the system, don't know if I want to do more. I'm down to my absolute favorites pretty much. :(

If only the PSN was released.

acm2000

Gooster said:
Holy. Shit.

I'm trying to go for the achievement for six film rolls' worth of every species in the game, but there's one in the Slaughterhouse (Trolley Area past the Surveillance Room) that's like a bunch of bubbles and if I get anywhere NEAR the area it hides behind a bunch of junk and I keep having to exit and reenter just to try and get this shot. If you know what I am talking about, how the hell did you get this shot? Thanks.

shot the boxes with a disc, it will move across the room to the other boxes, snap quickly

VGChampion said:
Gah, I just found out this game was released in HD and is already out! I want to play it now but my 360 HDD has been completely filled up for years. I've already had to delete a few games off the system, don't know if I want to do more. I'm down to my absolute favorites pretty much. :(

buy a new hdd? dodgy, non xbox 1 back compat hdd from ebay will do just fine

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Empty said:
Wow, that's pretty lazy (and sloppy).

Yeah, I am pretty sure it is a fan edit, I distinctly recall reading somewhere the guy discussing piecing together the raw files into what he felt went together. For instance, the track "Dancing with DomZ" is pieced together from three of the audio files from the direct game rip.

The direct game rip is here:
http://www.stormeffect.com/beyond/

It's also why there's still sound effects and dialogue in the cut-scene only tracks.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Papercuts said:
This was the first time I played it, took me a little over 12 hours. I got all the pearls and animals in the process, though it's only showing 95%. Guess I missed something.
Did you miss any MDisks?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
VGChampion said:

Delete DLC or other arcade games to download it. You can re-download the stuff you deleted for free later. The way MS handles digital content is great in this aspect.

mrseaves

Banned
I played the original game years ago but it strikes me as one of the most overrated games in recent history. It's a decent game but it's nothing special and is very much forgettable . It's nowhere near masterpieces such as Shenmue, Red Dead Redemption or your favourite Metal Gear Solid episode.

Gooster said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of the PA1 did some of you end up giving Double H?
None. Your partner characters virtually never get hit anyway so why bother? I always just dump any remaining Starkos into his inventory and call it quits, you'll have moved on to using K-Bups for healing by the time you meet him and they'll last until the end of the game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gooster said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of the PA1 did some of you end up giving Double H?
Zero. He gets Starkos instead.

Since he (or Pey'j) can take a few hits before even losing one heart (and they don't even get hit that often), they seem to handle themselves well on just need to replenish that one every once in a while.

Top Bottom