• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

I fell asleep during the demo and my GF kept waking me up to tell me to press on.

Wasn't entirely the game's fault though. I haven't been getting much sleep, but it was a really slow part of the game (looking for something after taking pictures). Didn't finish the demo and went straight to take a nap and forgot to buy.

I'll try again tomorrow. I'll buy it for sure though. Seems like it's gonna get really interesting.

watkinzez

One of the negatives of this being a port of the PC version is that the camera is completely manual. The console versions centred themselves if you left the right stick alone for a bit, but seeing as this emulates mouse movements it's a little fiddly.

Otherwise, it works just like it's supposed to. Such a small detail, but I love how the camera identifies various planets and star clusters in the sky. Really gives the world a sense of perspective, and makes me sad that BG&E2 was probably planned to take place on some of them. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
<3 that soundtrack... it was probably the first western game to give me that "ethereal beauty" feeling I used to only get from jRPGs.

Pooya

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-03-beyond-good-and-evil-hd-review?page=2
Eurogamer review 9/10
In fact, only the rather simplistic character models and occasionally stiff animations tip you off that this is a game soon heading for its tenth anniversary. The HD makeover is both thorough and beneficial, and while I can't compare the new soundtrack to the old, it's suitably nuanced for the varied tale being spun.

It certainly shows that Ubisoft recognises the value of its overlooked cult favourite, and bodes well for the treatment of the long overdue sequel.

Most pleasing of all is the cost. At a time when many downloadable games are sliding up to the 1200 MS Points barrier, the 800-Point price tag for this much-beloved classic shows that a little generosity can go a long way. If, like me, you let this one pass you by, there's no excuse not to rectify that mistake now.

AniHawk

eehhh... we'll see. i have yet to get into it, but i bought it tonight. after i finish ghost trick (any moment now), it's back to hillys.

bhlaab

I hope this comes out for the PC.

The original PC release has a ton of graphical glitches, zero gamepad support outside of Xpadder, and if you patch the game you get a showstopping bug in the factory level where a key doesn't appear. Would be really nice to have a more functional version on the platform.

Pooya

leng jai said:
Does this port have 5.1 audio?
I don't have a 5.1 setup connected to my 360 but I'm pretty sure DD5.1 support is mandatory for all 360 games, so it must have 5.1 audio mix I think.

BocoDragon said:
That's surely just a less-compressed version of the same music, right? (I haven't downloaded it yet)

I can't tell what has changed or not, it sounds very good overall, maybe some new remix tracks?! I haven't played the original in years, don't remember tbh.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd be very surprised if anything was remixed... but I will await confirmation of what "remastered soundtrack" means.

I decided I'm going to buy this game, even though I'm not going to beat it again.

It's not a bad price and I want to support the effort they made to bring such a great title back to life.

watkinzez

"You're gonna make me wear out my jet boots, Jade!"
"The latest in transportation?"
"That's not all Jade, that's not all."

Played through this game five times and never noticed that hint before.

BocoDragon said:
I'd be very surprised if anything was remixed... but I will await confirmation of what "remastered soundtrack" means.

Exactly, I don't give a fuck about remixes/remasters etc.

Just give me FLAC or a physical CD-release of the (original) OST. This game deserves it !

Empty

BocoDragon said:
That's surely just a less-compressed version of the same music, right? (I haven't downloaded it yet)

i think so. i've noticed no changes and quite a few things being the exact same (dance with the domz at the start, mammago's garage when you're there, akuda bar propoganda, home sweet home when you get the other side of the town before the black isle).

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there any chance of this getting a disc release ala Lost and the damned/Ballad of gay Tony?

daviyoung

Banned
lucablight said:
Apologies if this has been asked before but is there any chance of this getting a disc release ala Lost and the damned/Ballad of gay Tony?

Slim to zero I'm afraid, wouldn't be worth the printing costs.

AniHawk

lucablight said:

yes but you'll need a delorean or a phone booth.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I always regretted missing out on this so I snatched it and have been playing off and on today, really liking it so far. I've been searching all over and already have a ton of pearls and hearts. I'm only at
the factory
and have 9 hears IIRC. Pey'j keeps saying stuff about that, I guess I can give him some of the upgrades? Is that worth doing at all?

daviyoung

Banned
Pey'j is a liability, so yes.

I won't be buying this because I played it on the Gamecube a long time ago and it didn't resonate with me, anyway my impressions on the trial:

1. The game looks beautiful in 'HD' due to the colours and simple locales. Draw distance is good, water looks great and animations are as fluid as they were originally. Some tearing and dodgy polys here and there, and the jaggy HD symbol on the menu screen which made me think of it as a poor port before even starting the game.

2. Music sounds great, but I had chronic problems with the subtitles (which you can't turn off) and the synching. It seems the subs come in too soon, and the characters lip-synching seems terribly off. I can't remember if this was an issue in the original.

3. Game plays fine with the 360 controller. Camera controls are smooth in the open-world segments but can get a bit skewed in the fixed-point perspectives if you're over-eager.

Seems like a steal for 800MSP for what is seen as a hidden gem.

Arnie

Got half a left over pizza, a carton of Tropical Tropicana and I'm delving in to this, as promised last night. Hyped.

watkinzez

daviyoung said:
2. Music sounds great, but I had chronic problems with the subtitles (which you can't turn off) and the synching. It seems the subs come in too soon, and the characters lip-synching seems terribly off. I can't remember if this was an issue in the original.

Eh? They defaulted to off when I started. Lip-syncing was never something they put much time in, like most games its age. The higher resolution does make it more noticable, unfortunately.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The subtitles were automatically on when I played the trial, but automatically off when I bought it...not sure why.

Nessus

I wish they'd put a little more effort into this port.

Bought and loved the original on GameCube, at full price, but I'm torn as this is just a port of the PC version, not anything that received special attention (as the control issues make painfully obvious).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nessus said:
I wish they'd put a little more effort into this port.

Bought and loved the original on GameCube, at full price, but I'm torn as this is just a port of the PC version, not anything that received special attention (as the control issues make painfully obvious).

Definitely this. I bought this game no questions asked because I've been looking for a way to play it for years. Loaded it up and tried to play and was shocked to find out about this look inversion issue. I mean what the fuck? It's 2011, put a little bit of effort in Ubi...

All of which means this game will probably stay unplayed, both of the control schemes with the game leave me flailing about like a spastic. Not cool.

I played the trial and forgot how wonderful the animations are, they might be a little janky in places now but at release not many games were animating that smooth, had that good lip syncing or looked as nice as this.

I feel like an idiot selling it 2 weeks after buying it now just because I was unable to get into the game at the time and stuck to racing games, buying this on live for sure to make up for it.

Emitan

The music is changed somehow. Either less compressed or it is a re-orchestration but either way it sounds better than the original.

Glix

Picked this up last night, I'm LTTP.

Only got 30 mins in, but it was VERY good. I look forward to more.

Randy

Eurogamer said:
Ubisoft's high definition revamp of cult classic Beyond Good & Evil launches as a downloadable Xbox Live Arcade game today.

But what about the PlayStation 3 version?

All Ubisoft would say of the PlayStation Network download this morning is that it will be available "later this year".

Bleh...

I was expecting a blown up Xbox 1 port, but I'm super impressed with the update. Looks and sounds fantastic.

After about 15 minutes, I realized I was going to have to set aside another 10+ hours for a full replay.

Timber

I've only ever played the Gamecube version, which, thanks to Ubisoft's sometimes too extensive localisation, didn't give me the option to play it in English. It was either Dutch or French, I believe.

It's always kinda bummed me out that I had to settle for Dutch voices and text, but after having seen the Giant Bomb QL I now realize that I'd been playing the MASTER RACE SUPERIOR VERSION all along. Jade's English voice actor sounds bored and monotone whereas in Dutch she's motherly, and Dutch Pey'j is the kind of jovial avuncular manpig you'd expect him to be instead of a hick.

Anyway just wanted to gloat. Bow down peasants and all that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bluedeviltron said:
I was expecting a blown up Xbox 1 port, but I'm super impressed with the update. Looks and sounds fantastic.

After about 15 minutes, I realized I was going to have to set aside another 10+ hours for a full replay.
Actually, a blown up XBOX port would have been better.

I just put 20 minutes into the XBOX version on an HD CRT of mine and it definitely feels better.

There are simply more effects in use. As noted earlier, there is heavy use of depth of field and some motion blur that is absent in HD. In addition, I was surprised to find that the loading times were at least twice as long in HD. Why on earth is that the case? Compression? The HD version is run from the HDD while the XBOX version is run from a DVD yet the DVD version loads faster?! There is no loading icon on XBOX and transitions between rooms are much faster.

They also added those ugly subtitles to the game, which can be disabled on XBOX.

It's true that the HD version runs smoother at a near perfect 60 fps, but the XBOX version actually manages to hit 60 fps a good chunk of the time as well.

They could have done worse to be sure, but I really expected the HD version to best the original in every way. I'm surprised to find that not to be the case.

Emitan

dark10x said:
They also added those ugly subtitles to the game, which can be disabled on XBOX
They're disabled the same way on this version. Mine defaulted to Off and I haven't turned them on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Billychu said:
They're disabled the same way on this version. Mine defaulted to Off and I haven't turned them on.
You're right. I totally missed the option the first time.

see5harp

I was going to hold off on this but just hearing that piano music when sailing to your next destination got me. Damn this game is fucking awesome.

Got a hard lock just after completing the first mission. Not good Ubi, not good.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit, and it runs smooth as buttered silk, but now it's in cold storage until I see a patch :(

Top Bottom