• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

Grisby

Gooster said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of the PA1 did some of you end up giving Double H?

None. In the Grisby handbook (which is way better then the Carlson and Peters one) it says never to give your partner any health. I only had him die once on me anyways.

Emitan

Grisby said:
None. In the Grisby handbook (which is way better then the Carlson and Peters one) it says never to give your partner any health. I only had him die once on me anyways.
They can die? I always thought the health bar was cosmetic. They've never even gotten close to dying for me. But I think the more PA1s you give to your ally the more health you regain when you die so I always give them a few.

AniHawk

just been thinking about this game some more and one of the things that was done really right was jade.

beyond good & evil was meant to be a trilogy, so it makes sense that the game was focused on story. what's great about beyond good & evil is how the main character isn't some crazy action hero. the writing isn't very good, but we get a lot of information about jade very early on. we know that the domz attacks have been getting more frequent, meaning it was likely she had some training to fight them off (this is reinforced by pey'j tossing her the staff, and the weapon itself is important because right away it says that she's most familiar with close range combat). we know that she cares for orphans and that her motivation is probably due to the loss of her own (she lives with her uncle pey'j who isn't even the same species), and it doesn't scream out 'SHE'S A WOMAN SO SHE'S ALSO SORT OF A MOTHER :D' like metroid other m did. we also know she's sort of a freelance photographer, although this one's explicitly told to us. and i guess there's the 'main character is actually world savior' thing, but that mostly plays out only at the end of the game.

so early on we know what she does for a living, why she is a decent fighter, and that she's a generally thoughtful/caring person (not old and cranky like solid snake, or completely emotionless like ryu hazuki). but she's not an action hero. she's not presented as an everyman and then proceeds to shoot and kill everything in sight. it logically makes sense that with her background she wouldn't be fighting through the alpha sections, but sneaking past them or sneakily disabling them. and while she can fight them directly, it's actually a challenge. and when and if you ever face them outside of the main game, you're chased down because it's very clear you are not a match because all you have is a staff (because all you know is close-range combat) and a camera. and then you actually have the camera being the big part of the game. her photography is what causes the rebellion and what frees hillys (well, also her stabbing ganondorf in the face).

i just really like how neatly the story/background/character on jade helped with all the design decisions and vice versa. other story-centric actiony/adventury games don't do it and they don't need to do it, but it was nice to see that effort.

IrishNinja

Ace_235 said:
Any news on the PSN version yet?

i keep checking this thread for just that, but honestly? you gotta figure, as soon as there's an official date, it'll be put into this thread's title or a new one. BG&E gets mad love here, fortunately.

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, it's REALLY hard for me to adjust. I played for about 45mins and I was still having trouble.

Was it this was in the original game? Anyone know? I recall struggling with the camera/controls on a boss encounter about halfway through and putting it down at that time without ever returning to finish.

shwimpy

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, it's REALLY hard for me to adjust. I played for about 45mins and I was still having trouble.
Same... couldn't play Sly 2 because of it, and I guess I won't even bother trying on this game.

Pooya

For those asking about the PSN version; that Hard Corps Uprising games is coming next week on PSN I think and it was part of the House Party program too, that's 4 weeks after it's reelase on XBLA, I think the game will be on PSN in 3 weeks if it follows the same pattern as Uprising unless the game isn't ready yet.

Bernbaum

So levels are revisitable right?

I'm about done with the factory but there's a single pearl and a couple of animals on the map that I didn't get. Pretty sure that to get the Pearl I need some other item to get past an electrical barrier - the animals I'm not so sure about. Is it like Zelda in that all the tools required to get everything in each 'dungeon' are all available within the level?

Bernbaum said:
So levels are revisitable right?

I'm about done with the factory but there's a single pearl and a couple of animals on the map that I didn't get. Pretty sure that to get the Pearl I need some other item to get past an electrical barrier - the animals I'm not so sure about. Is it like Zelda in that all the tools required to get everything in each 'dungeon' are all available within the level?

Usually you can get everything in each go, but the only real PONR is VERY near the end of the game and you'll know it when you see it.

It's
when you go into space

Bernbaum

Thanks hikarutilmitt, I like to know stuff like that with these kind of games. Will probably do an end-game sweep and the PONR sounds to be pretty obvious.

gdt

They really need to patch this X/Y thing. It's STILL bugging the fuck out of me. Tainting the experience a bit, I admit. I'm turning the camera the wrong way all the fucking time, dammit.

Really digging the games besides that. So far though, can't say it reaches the ultimate levels of GAF hype.

Just entered The Slaughterhouse.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Desibabu said:
I laughed, then I cried.

*Starts crying uncontrollably*

Why?!

Anyway, I really hope they manage to release the PSN version for at least next month.

watkinzez

hikarutilmitt said:
Usually you can get everything in each go, but the only real PONR is VERY near the end of the game and you'll know it when you see it.

It's
when you go into space

Specifically, it's
using the transmitter. I've never tried to return with both Pey'j and Double H though, so it might balk at doing that.

C4Lukins

I played it for about an hour. Pretty good so far, love the music, all the collecting and camera stuff is not really blowing me away but it holds up to modern generation games nicely. Not having to much problem with the inversion so far. Takes a little getting use to but I recall playing an old Ratchet game with that weird horizontal inversion so my brain tapped into it pretty quickly.

El Sloth

Banned
Really enjoyed playing through this game again. Except for the hovercraft controls and it's camera, especially during the Slaughterhouse section. Fuck that shit.

I really love tracking down the different animals and taking pictures of them for whatever reason. Maybe I should look into Pokemon Snap for the Virtual Console...

I give up on this game.

I've had 3 glitches where I can't proceed without resetting the game. First I fell through a wall into a black abyss. Now, I've gone pearl hunting and got about 10 pearls before I went to dock somewhere and it froze on the docking bay without Jade exiting and I can't go anywhere. I haven't saved since I started and now I can't play.

Fuck this, I was kind of enjoying the game but I'm not gonna keep playing if this shit is happening.

I want my $10 back

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Glitches eh? The wait for the PSN version is not so harsh now. I will definitely want to try a demo before buying. Not buying a glitchy game

Chuck

Still without luck
I just finished it for the first time and wow. What is the common opinion of the ending? I thought it was awesome, but I know a couple people that didn't like it so much.

AniHawk

i thought that like the beginning, it was really rushed. also, it was frustrating that it ended
on a cliffhanger
back in 2003 when a sequel was incredibly unlikely (THE SITUATION IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOW). but upon replays, i liked the little connection to the introduction of jade to the final scene before the credits
where she opens her eyes.

also, i thought the direction during the cutscenes was generally pretty damn nice.

Glix

Not only is the game amazing, but the music is sublime. I'm LTTP on this game, and I'm loving it SOOOOO much.

Grisby

j5NGS.jpg

So I beat Beyond Good and Evil HD about a week ago and have been procrastinating on writing up a short review on it. So here goes.

This was another go around for me having completed the Xbox version way back when the game was original released. I was amazed back then by BGE because of how different it felt from other games. Featuring a female lead, anthropomorphic animals, stealth gameplay, culturally diverse inspired settings, and Pokémon snap photo mechanics made for a game that felt like nothing else on the market at the time.

Going back for the re-release I still find that most of the above holds true. The gameplay is simple with combat being relatively easy and the stealth mostly an exercise in dealing with the camera and pattern memorization. I really enjoyed the picture taking because not only does it encourage you to explore the world its also a very fun way of currency progression. Also, it works for the story which is sometimes a rare feat for a game today.

Story and presentation also remained pretty intact. The uprezzed visuals go to show how important a cohesive and interesting artstyle is needed in a game. Jade's tale is still an enjoyable yarn with an ending that hinted at creator's Michel Ancel wanting this universe to be something more. Christophe Heral's OST is wonderful and has some exotic tunes that are in line with the game. The whole rebellion/underground reporter deal is done well. My favorite part is how the companions you travel with talk to Jade a lot adding personality to an already personable game.

I mean, you play as a 20 something woman who runs an orphanage and gets caught up in a light, but still political story. Original? Yeah, I'd say so!

So what about the negatives? The game wasn't all roses when it came out and some things don't hold up. I'm generally a gamer who isn't bothered by a lot of stuff most but still, BGE is a flawed gem. The experience is short and easy with a quest that felt big at the time of release, but today has a lot of areas that feel small and underused. Some of the voice acting is a little off with Jade sounding a lot younger then I remember. The game frequently uses placed camera angles which can lead to confusion and awkward situations. Game controls feel a little too loose at times.

A lot of areas also feel too broken up and there is a bit more loading than I remember. Unfortunately, the game has some glitches and froze on me twice in a certain area. Only by completing some other tasks before returning was I able to proceed in that optional area. Still, I completed the game with almost everything done, by choice, not by bugs.

Beyond Good and Evil is a great game. One that tried to be more than the sum of its parts. It reached for the stars (!), failing in some aspects but taking risks that few games today do.

Lucius86

Banned
I can finally say I have completed BGE. It was a great game, with many elements still holding up well to modern day standards.

I wasn't sure on the art world at first, but the more I played, the more I liked it. I did get a Kameo vibe from the game - ever character is very cartoony except for the main protagonist - but everything fitted in the world vision better compared to Rare's attempt.

I think the most lacking element to the game was the introduction and the combat. Both were not substantial enough - combat was pretty much just mash 'X', whilst I found being thrusted into this bizarre world a little too jarring for my tastes. There was also other annoyances, such as the camera and the lack of fully voiced interactions, but considering this was made in 2003, I can forgive the game for this.

All in all, a very good game that I really hope gets a sequel green lit.

Finished my replay of this (played on Xbox when it came out), got 200/200 in about 11 hours (didn't get a couple of pearls, like the stupid second Francis one, and a couple Mdisks). I still think it's fantastic and had a great time. One thing I will say is that I always have felt that the endgame feels like it was a bit rushed. (spoilers for excess of caution)
the volcano where you get like 15-20 pearls feels like it should have been fleshed out into a full dungeon and I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally intended to be that. The moon segment is repetitive and lacks much in the way of design.

Overall, glad I paid the 10 bucks to replay it. I had one hard crash, but otherwise it was good. I have no real problem with camera controls, but then again I can adjust to something slightly different when needed to experience a great game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So sick of xbla's moneybag timed exclusives.

TheOddOne

mattiewheels said:
So sick of xbla's moneybag timed exclusives.
Smh. So publisher gets the chance to be in a special promotion for XBLA and get more promotion, yeah thats like totally a moneybag timed exclusive deal.

shwimpy

TheOddOne said:
Smh. So publisher gets the chance to be in a special promotion for XBLA and get more promotion, yeah thats like totally a moneybag timed exclusive deal.
So getting a couple of ads plastered on the xbox dashboard is worth shutting out an entire platform? I guess...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
TheOddOne said:
Well, where is it on PSN then? There's nothing wrong with promotional stuff but come on.

TheOddOne

shwimpy said:
So getting a couple of ads plastered on the xbox dashboard is worth shutting out an entire platform? I guess...
Tell me what wrong with this? This happens all the time.

mattiewheels said:
Well, where is it on PSN then? There's nothing wrong with promotional stuff but come on.
What?

gdt5016 said:

It's really strange how they let you invert for the photo-taking but not for the regular game camera, unless you invert x as well.

I finally just settled for the inverted photo mode and non-inverted for the game camera and became used to it after a while. Tried to play another game today and now I'm stuck somewhere between an invert and a non-invert.. it's gonna take me a while to get back to my genetically superior inverted mode.

Bizzyb

Banned
Glix said:
Not only is the game amazing, but the music is sublime. I'm LTTP on this game, and I'm loving it SOOOOO much.

Yep, it is an awesome game. It think this is one of those games where the art direction is what really takes it to the next level.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
May is a nice date, fortunately I've got loads of PSone classics to keep me busy this month.

TheOddOne said:
Tell me what wrong with this? This happens all the time.

Think of it this way: what if PSN gets Beyond Good and Evil HD first and it won't be out on XBLA after a month for a special promotion, won't you get annoyed?

Top Bottom