• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

Gowans

Got it looking forward to playing tonight after work. Tried before when it came out but got distracted or gave up.

At this price I'm gona be recommending it to a bunch of mates.

Giving the game it's big second chance now, will play the trial to see if it hooks me in this time.

Amazing how many avatar items are released too, lol.

Bernbaum

Ah man, this is great.

It's so remarkably 'last-gen' and with the exclusion of tacked-on achievements, captures everything that made the previous gen so great. Good gameplay with an imaginative setting and no fancy bullshit.

Bernbaum

Oh boy, just took the hovercraft out on the open water for the first time! I'm way beyond my initial efforts with the game on PC before I got sick of it crapping out in the arse.

Open environments in HD look better than Dragon Age.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Started playing it. The controls are a bit clunky and "sticky" but not too bad. The camera (not the one Jade uses) could be better as it goes a bit crazy indoors.

How hard is this game? I hope there aren't any teeth-grindingly difficult sections.

DonMigs85

Witchfinder General said:
Started playing it. The controls are a bit clunky and "sticky" but not too bad. The camera (not the one Jade uses) could be better as it goes a bit crazy indoors.

How hard is this game? I hope there aren't any teeth-grindingly difficult sections.
I had to repeat the final boss battle a few times, but it's not a very difficult game. I think anyone who's good at the 3D Zeldas should have no problems here.

Dabanton

I'm hoping we see a firm sequel announcement at E3 this is a good way to get everyone up to speed hopefully.

Great game.

feel

I put it in the queue. This will be great! Will wait till a day where I have a whole afternoon free or something, to really get into it without distractions.

Empty

paid up and finished downloading. so excited about jumping back into hyllis, getting on my hovercraft and slowly floating across the water as home sweet home plays.

matmanx1

Princess Skittles said:
I'm hoping to hear enough positive responses on the quality of the port before the work day is over.

Yeah that would be my one hesitation as well. I am wary of Ubi at this point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It seems like a decent port, but not an exceptional one. It's probably the best way to play the game, though.

It's pretty much a constant 60 fps, which is great, and the image quality is very good. However, they killed off a few nice effects. The depth of field, which was beautiful in the original, is absent and the motion blur used while looking around with the camera is also missing.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it would have been nice to see everything in tact.

cleveridea said:
Because it's not nearly as great as some people claim it to be. It's a solid game, but I really don't understand the "one of the best games ever" comments. The soundtrack is awesome though.

EDIT: It's nice to see that Ubisoft actually put some effort into this HD port. I wasn't optimistic after the PoP Trilogy on PS3.

I think it's one of the top 5 action adventure games of the last years. Together with Psychonauts, Prince of Persia, Eternal Darkness and another game I forgot right now. Oh, one of the Zelda games, I guess...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dark10x said:
It seems like a decent port, but not an exceptional one. It's probably the best way to play the game, though.

It's pretty much a constant 60 fps, which is great, and the image quality is very good. However, they killed off a few nice effects. The depth of field, which was beautiful in the original, is absent and the motion blur used while looking around with the camera is also missing.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it would have been nice to see everything in tact.
Thanks, that definitely sounds solid enough for a Hamilton.

AndyMoogle said:
Because it's not nearly as great as some people claim it to be. It's a solid game, but I really don't understand the "one of the best games ever" comments. The soundtrack is awesome though.
It's probably over-hyped by definition but I think it's deserved. The game is really about the sum of its parts rather than any singular aspect. Everything about the game melds together so perfectly in a way I haven't really seen often. So while the core gameplay could probably be easily labeled as "second rate" Zelda, it holds up enough to everything surrounding it that it becomes more than just picking that singular aspect apart. The same could probably be said about most of the game's elements except for its soundtrack, which does stand out as something special on its own.

epmode

AndyMoogle said:
Because it's not nearly as great as some people claim it to be. It's a solid game, but I really don't understand the "one of the best games ever" comments.
I can explain this:

You have no soul.

AndyMoogle said:

EDIT: It's nice to see that Ubisoft actually put some effort into this HD port. I wasn't optimistic after the PoP Trilogy on PS3.

I dunno. PoP Trilogy was missing effects as well like bloom lighting. This one seems like it could be poor as well (we already know that it's missing some special effects. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it has significant framerate drops later on in the game as well)

Nuclear Muffin said:
I dunno. PoP Trilogy was missing effects as well like bloom lighting. This one seems like it could be poor as well (we already know that it's missing some special effects. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it has significant framerate drops later on in the game as well)
I somehow missed the post above my last one. It's a shame to hear that they half-assed this as well. At least there haven't been any freezing problems yet, right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dark10x said:

Weird.

S1kkZ

AndyMoogle said:
I somehow missed the post above my last one. It's a shame to hear that they half-assed this as well. At least there haven't been any freezing problems yet, right?
its not half assed, the game looks fantastic.

AndyMoogle said:

ahaha, on a mission to hate.

i've played this game a million times and I didn't even notice the missing DOF or motion blur. I realize some serious business analysts will miss these little touches, but really, most people don't care.

that said, if it does have freezing problems, i'll be sure to register my disgust on the internet.

robot

Anyone remember how long the game is? I finished it when it came out but it's been so long I barely remember anything. Was thinking of replaying if it's short enough, my backlog is grooooowing.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
robot said:
Anyone remember how long the game is? I finished it when it came out but it's been so long I barely remember anything. Was thinking of replaying if it's short enough, my backlog is grooooowing.
Yeah, it's about eight to twelve hours, depending on your playing style.

G0523

I think some people are claiming it's the "Best game evar!" because it bombed when it was originally released. Lots of people do this all the time. It gained a cult following and is now looked back with fond memories.

I like the game a lot and will download the full game today once I get home and I will enjoy it. I don't think it's the best game ever but damn if it isn't a great piece of work from Michel Ancel.

The $10 price point really helps as well. A lot of people were expecting this to be $15, and I believe we are all thankful that it isn't. At $10, it's a great buy.

S1kkZ said:
its not half assed, the game looks fantastic.
If they remove effects that the version on last gen consoles had, I'd say that it's half assed. They could have easily made this run at 60 fps with those effects if they only bothered to make a proper port. Though for $10 we can't get it all I guess.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nuclear Muffin said:
Frame drops seem possible. During the intro sequences, there were a couple of points where it dropped a bit. When the camera swooped down on the camera crew after Jade emerges from the hole, you could see it lose 60 fps for a bit. Same deal with a couple other brief shots.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Why hasn't Ubisoft put an official soundtrack up on iTunes (or something) to coincide with this?

Yet we have useless avatar gear. Truly baffling.

I'd love to see a real soundtrack released, as good as the fan edit was..

Nemesis_

The soundtrack is so amazing. I forgot how great it was.

Loving it so far. This is definitely the version to play if you're looking to revisit it.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bernbaum said:
It's so remarkably 'last-gen' and with the exclusion of tacked-on achievements, captures everything that made the previous gen so great. Good gameplay with an imaginative setting and no fancy bullshit.

I think one of BG&E's greatest charms was that it felt 'last-gen' last generation too. It really is a lost, super-hi-res ST/Amiga title from back when the French were at the absolute top of of their game, and every ERE Informatique, Infogrames, Delphine, Ubi etc. title was fearlessly bizarre, inventive and sexy.

Xander51

I played the first couple of minutes of the trial and decided that yes, I had to buy this again. I've always loved the epic opening of this game.

Top Bottom