• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil HD |OT|

B&G virgin who brought it the minute I knew it was online and I've had a great time with it so far, it scratches my inner Zelda fan and frankly feels like a bargain at 800 points.
The game holds up pretty well mechanically and the visuals are still pretty striking, I love it's use of colour in contrast to the near mono-chrome of most games this gen.

Mr Jared

I've had this for a few days now so I'm almost finished, but I have to say.. I think it's actually better than I remember it. When it came out I think I was too impatient of a gamer to properly appreciate the photography aspect of the game. So now I'm taking the time to properly explore every region and I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable than I remember.

Got to the last dungeon/area of the game on the Cube version, but a friend borrowed my copy...and lost it over the years, so I never got to finish it.

Stalfos

Princess Skittles said:
I was always disappointed that they used the best song in the game in its opening minutes, that's "save for the climax" material.
My favorite track is "Home Sweet Home" which is used midway through the game. Its also not a type of track that would be used for a climax though. Instead it fits in perfectly with the serene feeling of traveling on the open water of Hyllis.

Drakken

Only $10? I missed this the first time around; I'll certainly pick it up now.

"Home Sweet Home" and "Hyllian Suite" are beautiful.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sdornan said:
So is the implied message really...

"Buy this if you want Beyond Good & Evil 2!"

?
There is little doubt that Ubisoft will watch the sales of BGE HD very closely.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sdornan said:

?

i'm hopeful that with the timing of this re-release, we will once again see a bit more of BG&E2 at e3 this year.

TheOddOne

Wario64 said:
So is it a pretty good port, unlike Prince of Persia? Will blind purchase if so
Have not played the Prince of Persia ports, but this game looks goddamn great. Next to that its 10 bucks, TEN BUCKS.

Grisby

Wario64 said:

I watched the GB quick look and it looks great.

Dark said a page or two back it looked like it was missing some motion blur and depth of field stuff. In all honesty the last time I played this was on the Xbox so I can't remember those effects.

But from the quick look BGE looks so clean and smooth.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wario64 said:
It's a great port. BGE's art style is much more suited to a higher resolution than PoP's.

Kenaf

Neo Member
I'm also super excited about this release, loved the original. I bought it this morning and started the download, then had to go to work.

I started reading some reviews online, and I have bad news for the "inverted" gamers out there.. there is not an option to invert the Y-axis only. You have to invert both X and Y or nothing at all. Really, really unfortunate. I hope it gets attention and they can patch it, but I'm not sure what the best way is to get said attention.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Kenaf said:
I'm also super excited about this release, loved the original. I bought it this morning and started the download, then had to go to work.

I started reading some reviews online, and I have bad news for the "inverted" gamers out there.. there is not an option to invert the Y-axis only. You have to invert both X and Y or nothing at all. Really, really unfortunate. I hope it gets attention and they can patch it, but I'm not sure what the best way is to get said attention.

what!? oh jeez, this will be painful

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
sdornan said:

?

Whats their excuse for the PS3 version.

Please buy this version of BG&E HD in a few months when everyone has forgotten about it and are playing their AAA games instead in the post summer games rush?

brobban

Didn't play the game back in the days, so I bought it today. Seems nice and all, but I've played a shitload of 3rd person shooters this gen. I've gotten used to pushing the stick right to look to the right while keeping the y-axis inverted. There doesn't seem to be any options to set the invert individually.. which will probably mean that I won't be able to finish this game :(

brobban said:
Didn't play the game back in the days, so I bought it today. Seems nice and all, but I've played a shitload of 3rd person shooters this gen. I've gotten used to pushing the stick right to look to the right while keeping the y-axis inverted. There doesn't seem to be any options to set the invert individually.. which will probably mean that I won't be able to finish this game :(

oh shit, you just dropped a bomb on me! I play with neither axis inverted, but couldn't play FF12 because there's no option to change it to that. Say it ain't so with BG&E!

edit: whew! I'm safe. sorry for those who aren't, though

brobban said:
thanx for saying that in time for me

epmode

Kenaf said:

LOL, that was a problem in the (terrible) PC version as well. I just got used to the other way.

There was also an issue with Y inverting in one view but going back to normal in the FPS view. Sigh, Ubisoft.

I'll never understand the obsession over inversion. I have my preferences for sure and like it to be selectable, but I can adjust and I've never not played a game because of it. Does it really bother people to the extent that it hampers gameplay after they adjust for 10-20 minutes?

goldenpp72

i don't recall having to look up and down much in BG&E.. lol. Thankfully i'm not so inept as a gamer to not be able to adjust.

Struct09

Was the lack of Y-only inversion in the original Xbox version too?

I'll try the demo to see if it's a deal breaker for me, but I don't remember it being a problem when I played it initially.

TheYanger

You almost never need to look up/down without the camera, which is inverted seperately. Just play the game without inversion, I'm a lifelong camera inverter, and it sucks to not be able to in a good manner in the game, but it's PERFECTLY playable without since there is very little up/down with the standard action camera.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have some extra store credit left at Gamestop... think I just found what I'll be spending it on.

brobban

goldenpp72 said:
i don't recall having to look up and down much in BG&E.. lol. Thankfully i'm not so inept as a gamer to not be able to adjust.

Ofcourse I could get used to it, last generation it was how I played all my games. But I don't feel like going through the initial frustration. And then re-leard when I go back to other games again.
Worst offender regarding inversion must be Silent Hill; Homecoming. In that game you could invert Y while aiming, but not in the "standard" camera.

Unfortunately this is also why I don't go back and play one of my favorite games ever, Jak & Daxter (the first one).

TheYanger

brobban said:
Ofcourse I could get used to it, last generation it was how I played all my games. But I don't feel like going through the initial frustration. And then re-leard when I go back to other games again.
Worst offender regarding inversion must be Silent Hill; Homecoming. In that game you could invert Y while aiming, but not in the "standard" camera.

Unfortunately this is also why I don't go back and play one of my favorite games ever, Jak & Daxter (the first one).

No, the point is you don't even have to 'get used' to it. You just ignore it. The few times you might do it will always bug you in the game, but it's not something you do enough to have the scenario you described occur. Simply use the right stick for turning left/right, that's it.

jackdoe

navanman said:
Whats their excuse for the PS3 version.

Please buy this version of BG&E HD in a few months when everyone has forgotten about it and are playing their AAA games instead in the post summer games rush?
I doubt that the MS deal locks in the game that long. At most, should be a month or two, BEFORE the post summer games rush.

That aside, are there better textures compared to the PC version for the XBLA release?

goldenpp72

My point is that, while it has been a LONG time since I played the game, I don't recall looking up or down ever being needed, in fact I think I recall the game making the camera go back down to normal view if you let go of it, but I could be wrong.

Basically, just focus on whatever you prefer going left and right and i think you should be fine, it's stupid they don't have the option, but doesn't seem like a big deal really.

brobban

TheYanger said:
No, the point is you don't even have to 'get used' to it. You just ignore it. The few times you might do it will always bug you in the game, but it's not something you do enough to have the scenario you described occur. Simply use the right stick for turning left/right, that's it.

My point is that, while it has been a LONG time since I played the game, I don't recall looking up or down ever being needed, in fact I think I recall the game making the camera go back down to normal view if you let go of it, but I could be wrong.

Basically, just focus on whatever you prefer going left and right and i think you should be fine, it's stupid they don't have the option, but doesn't seem like a big deal really.

It's just that I always look around (up/down/side) alot while playing. But I'll try it out. Thx for the tip.

NZNova

Already own this game twice (PC, GC) and will buy it again, because a sequel really needs to happen and maybe this will help convince the powers that be that it's a worthwhile project.

Top Bottom