• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

I came in with a very negative outlook, but I'm actually kinda impressed based off this ign lets play intro. Then again, most Cage games start out very strong and veer into a ditch.

Still, consider me intrigued! Might give this a go despite the reviews...
So far I'm 66% in and it holds that level. It actually got better too. I heard the lead up to the ending is actually the best part, so I think it is fine overall.
There are some uneven parts, but it is easily Cage's most cohesive game yet. I think you will enjoy it.

Ce-Lin

on my second playthrough now, first one was sweet I really believe it's one of the best games I played this year, I'm going to try it at least twice before expressing my opinions, I don't think just going on from what others say or by a rushed playthrough is fair to the game (or any other game to be honest), so far so good, maybe I'll have to replay HR to know what's better in my book :)

Really enjoying this and where the story is going. As for it jumping all around. No problem for me. I prefer the mix up honestly. I think I'm pretty far now. Hoping to finish it up tommorrow. My fiancee' has been watching me play the whole time and she never does that.

Just hit the Homeless chapter. Really enjoying this so far. Graphics are just insane, and that awful tearing in HR is thankfully nowhere in sight. Performance of the actors really helps smooth over some of the more clunky lines. The Condenser was indeed fantastic. Do any of the later chapters hit that level of intensity?

The navajo chapter feels so weird and out of context to me, maybe it will make more sense when I finish the game. So far having a lot of fun.

Kolma

I just finished
First Night
And I'm about to play with
Punk
Ellen
Totally loving this game. Went in with high hopes and was not disappointed!

As for an earlier part...
WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS GAME TO HAVE HORROR, scared the shit outta me... but for some reason I kept going... Mind you this is coming from someone that got to scared to finish RE4 on gamecube (yes I beat it on Wii when that version came out)

I just finished
First Night
And I'm about to play with
Goth
Ellen
Totally loving this game. Went in with high hopes and was not disappointed!

As for an earlier part...
WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS GAME TO HAVE HORROR, scared the shit outta me... but for some reason I kept going... Mind you this is coming from someone that got to scared to finish RE4 on gamecube (yes I beat it on Wii when that version came out)

'Goth' Ellen?

I haven't read/watched anything since reveal and boy is this game full of unexpected scenarios/surprises lol. Like Co-Op? Had no clue the game had multiplayer in any form!

All in all Quantic Dream seems to have topped Heavy Rain (IMO) and I haven't even completed it yet.

I really dont get why people have an issue with time jumping. It's like we're going through the memories of her life, you dont really remember things in order. It feels like a puzzle, kind of reminds me of memento.

Helscream

Banned
UPS was late delivering my copy so I am only like two hours in, but man I am totally diggin this game. Graphically I thought GoW:A was going to be the last PS3 game to impress me. I am really impressed visually how the game looks.

ThankeeSai

Can anyone confirm - Does this game have any kind of "Previously on...." or recap as to what's happened so far in the story when you've taken a break from playing it? The wife likes watching me play stuff like this, but she might not be able to sit with me the whole time I'm playing. Some sort of recap would help.

I picked up the Special Edition today despite it getting lower scores than I was originally expecting.

It’s gonna have to go into a queue for now. Once I finish GTA V I’ll dig in. Looking forward to it! : )

Can anyone confirm - Does this game have any kind of "Previously on...." or recap as to what's happened so far in the story when you've taken a break from playing it? The wife likes watching me play stuff like this, but she might not be able to sit with me the whole time I'm playing. Some sort of recap would help.
No but you can replay a previously played chapter.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone with a Spanish version?

If so does it support English for text and voice work.

I can get the game today but worried it will be in Spanish only.

I booted up the game with the intent of just installing it so it was ready to go when my wife has time to play with me tomorrow but damn I just couldn't put it down. I didn't expect to play it tonight but it was hard to put down.

The one thing that's bothering me about the game is the constant Blu Ray access. It's kinda loud since it's going constantly. Anyone else bothered by this?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh my god, the birthday party

I wish the whole game was like that. It's like Carrie.

One of my favorite moments of the game.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Spanish PAL version, yes. You can choose voices and text.

Yea PAL version. I'm English but live in the south of Spain. I could order from the UK but it takes like 1-2 weeks to arrive due to where I live.

So it definitely has English yeah? ;p

Smash

Banned
So far I'm 66% in and it holds that level. It actually got better too. I heard the lead up to the ending is actually the best part, so I think it is fine overall.
There are some uneven parts, but it is easily Cage's most cohesive game yet. I think you will enjoy it.

Oh man, can't wait to play this then

My Tesco Direct order has dispatched, yay! Went with them months ago when they had the Special Edition going for £33, and now they might get the game to me before Friday. They're definitely improving.

Marco1

Ordered the SE from amazon uk but they are showing notify when available notice.
Might go with the non.SE to ensure I get it when released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yea PAL version. I'm English but live in the south of Spain. I could order from the UK but it takes like 1-2 weeks to arrive due to where I live.

So it definitely has English yeah? ;p
I can confirm that the French version also has English just like most PS3 games.

kubus

So I could finally redeem the SE code for the Advanced Experiments DLC, because yesterday it wasn't up yet. I already played a small bit yesterday, up to
the chase in the woods by SWAT teams
. Does the DLC appear naturally during the course of the game, or did I already pass it? When I go to Bonus content in the menu and choose "Advanced Experiments", the game redirects me to the playstation store, but I already installed it.

Really loving it so far, by the way. Can't wait to see the rest :)

Anyone from UK GAF order from Amazon UK?
If so, is anyone's order processing yet?

Nothing for me yet

Nope, nothing here either. Hoping that they ship it today as it needs some extra time to arrive in Germany.

Sometimes, I hate Amazon UK. HATE. Every other UK-retailer seems to be already shipping the game, but Amazon UK is like 'NOPE!'. If it hadn't been for the discount they had on the special edition, I'd have already gotten it elsewhere.

/rant

The DLC still isn't available for non-LE owners. Wonder if it'll be stealth added during the week, or if we'll have to wait an entire week for it to go up.

Ceebs

So after thinking about the game for a bit, I came to the conclusion that the game seems to be mimicking serialized TV more than a movie. In fact I think if the non-linearity was dropped it would work a lot better if presented as such.

For instance, the cold open of each "episode" would be a child Jodie sequence that ties into the older Jodie story. And then have older Jodie stuff flow sequentially. Homeless and Navajo already feel exactly like an episode from the middle of a season of a TV show.

I picked up the Special Edition today despite it getting lower scores than I was originally expecting.

It’s gonna have to go into a queue for now. Once I finish GTA V I’ll dig in. Looking forward to it! : )
You are going to love it :D

The DLC still isn't available for non-LE owners. Wonder if it'll be stealth added during the week, or if we'll have to wait an entire week for it to go up.
Heavy Rain's DLC was added like 1-2 weeks later after SE owners could download it.

So I could finally redeem the SE code for the Advanced Experiments DLC, because yesterday it wasn't up yet. I already played a small bit yesterday, up to
the chase in the woods by SWAT teams
. Does the DLC appear naturally during the course of the game, or did I already pass it? When I go to Bonus content in the menu and choose "Advanced Experiments", the game redirects me to the playstation store, but I already installed it.

Really loving it so far, by the way. Can't wait to see the rest :)
I think it happens naturally. To be sure download the 1.01 patch. Maybe the DLC was added with this patch.

Is there less interactivity with the environment in this game than in Heavy Rain? I found myself quite often walking or "flying" around the environment looking for the little dots which means I can interact with something. I don't remember ever having to look very hard in Heavy Rain.

RPGCrazied

So many mixed reviews. I quite liked Heavy Rain, so I will buy this game at some point. The QTE thing really doesn't bother me.

I think I will too....I loved Heavy Rain.

I've got a pretty good feeling about it.
Yup. Keep in mind that reviewers don't score in relation to Heavy Rain. They are scoring to how things are today/how they feel. Directly compared to Heavy Rain it would be hard for any reviewer, after giving HR a 9, to give Beyond anything lower than a 7 or 8.

It is improved in so many areas. I'm sure you will like it, just enjoy the ride :D

Is there less interactivity with the environment in this game than in Heavy Rain? I found myself quite often walking or "flying" around the environment looking for the little dots which means I can interact with something. I don't remember ever having to look very hard in Heavy Rain.
Depends on the scene. My imaginary Friend and Homeless have a ton. Some have less. Keep in mind that Aiden can't see interaction points for Jodie. So if you want to be sure, you have to check everything twice with Jodie and Aiden. Although Jodie often gives hints to what Aiden can do. Most of the time just explore with Jodie and switch to Aiden to briefly look around 360 degrees to see if secrets or other important stuff is near.

Just watched a walkthrough, it is a very good story. At first I was confused why everything was out of order, but at least it's explained. Also Jodie <3

Heavy Rain's DLC was added like 1-2 weeks later after SE owners could download it.

I think it happens naturally. To be sure download the 1.01 patch. Maybe the DLC was added with this patch.

Thanks, although the 1.01 patch did NOT add the DLC. So we'll play the waiting game.

Although hearing the extra 30 minutes of content is only really "puzzles" I'm not too worried about it now. Perhaps I'll play it after I beat the game for something else to do.

Z3M0G

My GF and I played through the first few hours together in DUO mode... she controls Jodie (Easy mode), while I control Aiden (Normal mode).

I must start by saying that the graphics are absolutely fucking phenomenal and completely floor me as we play... This is damn impressive on PS3. And given that most environments are actually not completely tiny and you can look around and such, it makes you realize that the graphics are not only this good due to the style of game... I think this engine may be capable of a more hardcore game and still look the same. My biggest worry was that the graphics would be amazing but it would be screen-tearing the whole way through. I was delighted to discover that it has V-sync and actually runs at a fairly smooth framerate... it feels easily above 30... maybe 45?

As for the Story, I have mixed feelings about it. My GF loves the time jumping back and forth, while I agree that it is necessary... but I feel it is necessary because if you played through these exact same sequences linearly, I bet that the gaps in between them would be incredibly awkward and even more confusing. How you get from E->F is not as important when you experiences it as E->A->G->D->B->F... if it went from just E->F, I'd be asking "Wtf? How did I get here from where I last was? How much time has passed?" The non-linear presentation kind of eliminates this problem. I tell myself "Oh ok, this happens some time between D and G... cool cool."

But with the non-linear nature of it, the impact of pretty critical moments are definitely getting lost... I just did a fairly action heavy and down right frightening sequence in the story... and it felt out of place.

Also... I must say... as amazing as the graphics are, the moments when frightening "things" are shown are handled pretty terribly, especially at first. It's like I'm suddenly seeing effects out of a low budget game or something...

I chose to play Aiden while my GF plays Jodie because I was under the impression that I would get the most complex gameplay. In a way I do since i need to do a lot of flying around, locking on to enemies, and using a few different abilities. But she gets all the complex QTE sequences and "button twister" sequences. She's getting the hang of them though. But as she plays, I see how there really is ZERO consequence to screwing up any of the QTE moments. If you are being chased, you won't get caught. If you are fighting, you won't get hurt or killed... etc. The training sequence had the most consequence, and while I don't need this to "feel like a game", those sequences actually did and it felt very satisfying. But I guess Jodie can't die if you already saw her in the story later in her life... so that's another thing held back by the non-linear nature of the game. I just realized that now... damn.

Overall we are very much enjoying playing the game together. I'd strongly suggest playing in DUO mode if possible... it is a great GF/BF experience, IMO. She's amazingly not getting frustrated with it, and I think that's because she won't need to repeat something over and over if she fails... and she's gripped by the story, perhaps more than myself. I just enjoy playing something with her like this.

And at the end of the day, we had to downright force ourselves to turn off the game last night to avoid going to bed too late... that speaks volumes as well.

Top Bottom