• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

You killed almost all my interest in playing this with a 4 word sentence...
It's the good Fahrenheit, not the bad Fahrenheit.

mhYAXB5.jpg
I actually think that Beyond is in many ways the better Fahrenheit. Or at least the second half done right.

WTF!?!?!!?!

People have ALREADY finished this?

What did you guys do? Speed run this thing from a midnight launch?

The game just came out today and its like over 10 hours long supposedly.

Unless some you got it early.
Early copies :D

Sorian

Banned
WTF!?!?!!?!

People have ALREADY finished this?

What did you guys do? Speed run this thing from a midnight launch?

The game just came out today and its like over 10 hours long supposedly.

Unless some you got it early.

There are people in this thread who beat it 4 or 5 days ago.

Bollocks

Just popped it in and played the first chapter.
You can already feel that there's production value behind it aka loving it so far, doubt I'll be disappointed.

Melchiah

Just got an e-mail, that the pre-ordered special edition has arrived. Good thing it came early, as the release date is on friday, and I won't probably have time to play it on weekend.

Himself

For people who have redeemed their special edition code: does the extra sequence become part of the main game or is it a separate option from the menu?

Also, is it any good?

Ricker

Just played the first 4 chapters or whatever...am I doing it right by just letting it load on the timeline menu...? I didn't try to move the cursor but so far,they are not in order,in the sense of her age and all...I am not going to spoil anything by even mentionning the 4 events I played but she was a kid,young adutl,then teenager then...etc etc...this is normal?

Loving it so far by the way....the
teenage party was a little lame at first but the Revenge I chose to do was fun hehe

So forget the reviews for a moment, what's the consensus here (for those who have/are playing it)? What does GAF think?

I loved Heavy Rain. Is this a sure bet for me?

vesp

Played a bit really drunk last night and found the controls a little obtuse for what I was actually doing. Anyone play with a tablet yet and have any impressions, I think this may be one of the few games that having more passive control may actually be better.

DukeBobby

So the additional chapter is only 10 minutes long, and the soundtrack has only 4 songs. I'm starting to see why the special edition was priced the same as the standard edition.

Still, it cost me nothing extra, so I can't complain really.

I finished Heavy Rain three times, but i doubt I'm gonna replay Beyond soon.

Really on the fence here. This particular comment helps to hold me back.

Thankfully I still have GTAV to finish and my friend is holding me to neverending grind sessions on Diablo 3. If it weren't for those two games occupying my time at the moment, I might have made the crazy decision to buy BEYOND on a whim the other day.

I had the steelbook edition in my hands (pretty sexy looking special edition), and was just moments away from opening my wallet before sanity and better judgement kicked in.

Ceebs

Okay, I just fucking died from the cheese during the scene "The Mission"....

When you are in the bed of the speeding trucks fighting and you knock the guy off and the kid pops his head up for a closeup with a big wow face. So bad.

Kuro

So forget the reviews for a moment, what's the consensus here (for those who have/are playing it)? What does GAF think?

I also enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond has been a great experience so far. I'm really having fun and I'm glad I got it today instead of waiting for reviews because I probably would have avoided a great game otherwise. That review thread is embarrassing with people shitting on the game without even playing it.

Bloodsent

So I just finished chapter with
Jodie's assassination mission
. How much do I have left at this point? Am I getting close to the end?

SRTtoZ

Its quite simple. If you enjoyed Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain you will enjoy Beyond. The acting, the visuals, the production values are through the roof compared to the past 2 games.

Ferrio

Banned
Watching dansgaming play it....

This indian part is *horrible*. Game before it was meh to okay before this.. but this... it's cringe inducing. Starting to think cage just wrote a bunch of stories and couldn't figure out how to piece them together so they did this weird outta order shit to try and hide that

About 4 or 5 chapters in and I can just say if you like Heavy Rain, this is a no brainer. Only thing I don't like so far is that there is no options for adjusting the brightness in the game as far as I can tell and need to change that on my tv itself due to some parts being extremely dark. Other then that, so far so good!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Watching dansgaming play it....

This indian part is *horrible*. Game before it was meh to okay before this.. but this... it's cringe inducing. Starting to think cage just wrote a bunch of stories and couldn't figure out how to piece them together so they did this weird outta order shit to try and hide that

Yeah, i was having Fahrenheit flashbacks. And not good ones.

Hey Solid Champ.

God wills it.

I did PM you, y'know. You could respond to me there. Would be a good way to keep things on topic.

How does the game run, guys? Heavy Rain had some moments where it seemed to be taxing the hell out of my PS3, barely holding itself together. A few times the audio would be missing from a scene, or certain textures would load fairly late, or the framerate would dip.

That could have just been my machine, at the time, but how does BEYOND run on Ye Olde PS3?

Portman

Loving it so far, it's keeping me interested where I would've given up on Heavy Rain by now. I just finished the 2nd half of the sections from the demo and got all of the alternate scenes compared to when I played the demo. I can see this having some great replay value to see how different parts turn out.
The party for instance, where you can call Aiden off or let the chaos continue. I called him off but it would be neat to see what happens if you leave initially and what happens if you go all out.

Kuro

I did PM you, y'know. You could respond to me there. Would be a good way to keep things on topic.

How does the game run, guys? Heavy Rain had some moments where it seemed to be taxing the hell out of my PS3, barely holding itself together. A few times the audio would be missing from a scene, or certain textures would load fairly late, or the framerate would dip.

That could have just been my machine, at the time, but how does BEYOND run on Ye Olde PS3?

There are a few (very few) scenes that are very open with a lot of detail and the game drops to about 22ish frames. There was also one time where a frame rate dropped made me miss a dodge but it only happened once. The game runs more stable than Heavy Rain for the most part and the lighting and detail is incredible.

This is jumping around in time with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Hope some sort of thread becomes apparent and it isn't as random as it seems.

MG310

Grabbed it from the Redbox today. I'm enjoying the story so far but damn does it feel clunky at spots - most particularly any time you have to do Sixaxis waggle.

Spoiler talk for the party...
Chose the revenge option but didn't go all the way - just made sure to rough up that piece of trash with the glasses who burned Jodie. Anyone want to spoil how it goes if you keep going? Curious how much that alters the outcome

Elios83

Grabbed it from the Redbox today. I'm enjoying the story so far but damn does it feel clunky at spots - most particularly any time you have to do Sixaxis waggle.

Spoiler talk for the party...
Chose the revenge option but didn't go all the way - just made sure to rough up that piece of trash with the glasses who burned Jodie. Anyone want to spoil how it goes if you keep going? Curious how much that alters the outcome

Well
you can actually put the house on fire with all the brats within

So far I'm really loving the game, 3 hours in. Many great and exciting situations and I like that the game follows Jodie's life through all the ages.
If you liked Heavy Rain and the Beyond demo this is a must have.

SRTtoZ

I mean, I'm lovin the game but some casting parts are atrocious. Did DC really think casting the person with the deepest voice was the perfect part for the teenage boy?

geomon

I'm so loving this so far and I played through Heavy Rain probably 10 times already. The non linear storytelling did throw me off at first but I got used to it quick. It's really no different than say how Pulp Fiction is told or Memento.

This is jumping around in time with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Hope some sort of thread becomes apparent and it isn't as random as it seems.
It gets way better after a couple of chapters. After the first 7 chapters or so I started to feel a rhythm, at least with how the reveals come.

spwolf

I'm so loving this so far and I played through Heavy Rain probably 10 times already. The non linear storytelling did throw me off at first but I got used to it quick. It's really no different than say how Pulp Fiction is told or Memento.

i think the real problem is that it isnt written as well as Iron Man :)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow I'd probably really dig this. I need to pick it up.

Top Bottom