• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

IzzyF3

Don't play the game with a tablet. I avoided every news I possibly could after seeing the 1st trailer and didn't see how the touch interface was meant for non-players. I booted up the game and saw that there was an option for it so I thought, "what's this? Cool!" Played it pass the prologue and tutorials this way and thought it played like another mobile adventure game. Wasn't feeling immersed at all. Then I switched it to the ps3 controller and everything fell into place, but now I have to figure out some of the controls that don't have on-screen prompts. Not exactly the way I wanted to start a game I was so excited about, I avoided all news, interviews, trailers, etc.

Having Ellen Page and William Defoe really does add a lot of star power to the game. The game still has some of the stiffness in its presentation from Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain though.

A lot of the reviews said there was a lack of tension, but I couldn't disagree more. I'm always on edge in the action scenes, and even stuff like
the birthday party when you're locked up and then get revenge on the kids.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Enjoying it, but is it making anyone else's PS3 Blu ray drive have a shit fit? Fuck it's noisy.

I have a Slim and its really noisy and let me worrie about the drive... Hope its not damaging something...

I am now in Chapter 5 and like it so far, it really feels like a movie.

Played about 2 hours with the wife last night. I let her control Aiden. Was really great playing this together, though I wish she would explore more options as Aiden. As such we seem to breezing through the game at a brisk rate.

Best thing happened at The Party. I looked at my Wife and she said "Release Aiden" with a crazy look. Lol. She had a bit too much fun during that one. Also why did one kid sound like he was 30? So far the only VO that was out of place.

After we are done playing through together, I am going to go back through and play by myself to see what else can happen in some of the scenes and what easter eggs lay about.

krae_man

I'm enjoying the game so far. Played for about 2 hours last night. Wish walking would have been less crappy. It's so frustrating when it takes multiple tries to position yourself right to interact with something. Interacting with stuff feels more natural and intuitive this time. I like how most things are just a "You can interact with this" icon and not a "here is the motion you have to make to interact with this", and you just use the sticks in the way that feels natural to you and it just works.

Amazon still haven't shipped my SE.

You should of came by GameStop and pre-ordered with us. :) We hold your copy for 48 hours.

I'm enjoying the game so far. Played for about 2 hours last night. Wish walking would have been less crappy. It's so frustrating when it takes multiple tries to position yourself right to interact with something. Interacting with stuff feels more natural and intuitive this time. I like how most things are just a "You can interact with this" icon and not a "here is the motion you have to make to interact with this", and you just use the sticks in the way that feels natural to you and it just works.

I know how you feel I want to go back and play Indigo Prophecy and see if it felt better. I thought it did but I want to make sure before I go and make such comments :p

Just finished the game. Wow, it was well worth it.

I had one big story gripe in how the narrative is presented but that got taken care of later on.

Also, I feel that the amazing tension that I felt while playing Heavy Rain is a bit lessened in this game because of the control scheme change. Basically I was too good at pointing the R stick in the proper direction lol. It's probably because there's only 4 motions (up, down, left, right) most of the time, whereas before (in HR) you had to be on your toes for what could be coming since all the button prompts were used. However, there were still some great sequences.

Ryan sucks.

----

Overall great game, truly an adventure. Some flaws here and there, but solid for the most part.

There are moments where you feel emotional connection with the character, but it would have been felt greater if the narrative was presented differently.

I hope Cage keeps these kinds of games coming. I's truly brilliant how unique they are, especially how it seems linear and focused but really your choices are affecting the scenes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Two hours in, and I love it. Moreso than Heavy Rain.

My only complaint so far is when you're in an area and you want to interact with all the cool stuff, there's usually someone yelling at you to leave the area/come over here/go get that.

I keep wondering if it's going to fail me or force me to move on if I linger too long. Also, it's grating on the nerves to have someone yelling at you.

Grisby

Got a bit farther past the e3 demo deal. Fun stuff, but the action seemed smaller compared to what I thought would happen.

Game's story is all over the place at the moment. Not sure if I'm a fan but I am digging Page and Dafriend.

Graphics are pretty damn sweet.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played a few hours and am quite enjoying the progression. It does lack the feeling of actual consequence and choice of Heavy Rain, but it's been a mystifying romp that is keeping me engaged and curious.

Played through the bonus DLC Advanced Experiments episode. Essentially a Portal-inspired set of puzzles in a sterile obstacle course, which was a nice distraction for about 20 minutes with some solid puzzles. Came free with my copy as a download code, but the teeny length overall made me not so sure it is worth extra cash for those that don't have access to it yet.

Think I'll also end up enjoying Heavy Rain more in the end, but I am enjoying pushing through this mystery.

Z3M0G

Think I'll also end up enjoying Heavy Rain more in the end, but I am enjoying pushing through this mystery.

3 or 4 hours in I'd say... still trying to figure out what that "mystery" is supposed to be. Something tells me I won't know until the game throws the answer in my face, in a "Ta-Daa!" fashion, leaving me thinking "Huh? Was I supposed to be wondering about that?"

tookhster

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this in, but I just wanted to say I'm really tired of people hating on this game for the wrong reasons. It seems like almost every critic got into "movie critic" mode when they played this and seemed to just mock Cage as if he's some kind of cynic that should be treated differently. Horrible writer this, horrible writer that - have people even been paying attention to the other games we love and play? It seems to me like people tend to ignore the writing in other games, but whenever a Quantic Dream game comes along it's like they treat it with higher expectations or as a new genre, for no reason at all.

"Oh, well it's a story-based game, so the writing has to be good!" This is the most common thing I've been reading, and I don't believe these people get the point. This isn't really story-based at all. You are playing through someone's "remarkable" life where she runs into different people and learns different things. You choose what she has to say or what she does at certain times, but for the most part you're just interacting with things in a limited environment, just like any other game but with a more limited environment and limited control. Why treat it like it's distant from average games?

It just pisses me off how I see comments on every playthrough of this game saying things like "Really, Cage?" as if David Cage is some kind of special target. Do we ever see someone say "Really, Levine?" when they have a problem with Bioshock? Or "Really, Miyamoto?" Because I don't. Just because the game looks more real than the other games we play doesn't mean we should criticize it differently.

It's just that I LIKE seeing new kinds of games, and I want more games like this instead of the average everyday stuff. I have a feeling if this game was somehow an Indie game and not made by Cage, it would have gotten a better reception. I would write more but I don't want to get into spoilers and I don't think it's worthy, but yeah. I just finished this game and I loved it just as much as I loved Heavy Rain. I say, keep 'em coming, Cage, and anyone else who isn't scared to take chances.

Just finished it. Really enjoyed the story and acting, but I'm not entirely sure how much I affected the sequence of events aside from the ending. Gonna have to play through it again.
Ending spoiler:
Playing around with alternate endings now and wow @ the Zoey one. Beyond 2?

Ferrio

Banned
I don't know if this is the right spot to post this in, but I just wanted to say I'm really tired of people hating on this game for the wrong reasons. It seems like almost every critic got into "movie critic" mode when they played this and seemed to just mock Cage as if he's some kind of cynic that should be treated differently. Horrible writer this, horrible writer that - have people even been paying attention to the other games we love and play? It seems to me like people tend to ignore the writing in other games, but whenever a Quantic Dream game comes along it's like they treat it with higher expectations or as a new genre, for no reason at all.

"Oh, well it's a story-based game, so the writing has to be good!" This is the most common thing I've been reading, and I don't believe these people get the point. This isn't really story-based at all. You are playing through someone's "remarkable" life where she runs into different people and learns different things. You choose what she has to say or what she does at certain times, but for the most part you're just interacting with things in a limited environment, just like any other game but with a more limited environment and limited control. Why treat it like it's distant from average games?

It just pisses me off how I see comments on every playthrough of this game saying things like "Really, Cage?" as if David Cage is some kind of special target. Do we ever see someone say "Really, Levine?" when they have a problem with Bioshock? Or "Really, Miyamoto?" Because I don't. Just because the game looks more real than the other games we play doesn't mean we should criticize it differently.

It's just that I LIKE seeing new kinds of games, and I want more games like this instead of the average everyday stuff. I have a feeling if this game was somehow an Indie game and not made by Cage, it would have gotten a better reception. I would write more but I don't want to get into spoilers and I don't think it's worthy, but yeah. I just finished this game and I loved it just as much as I loved Heavy Rain. I say, keep 'em coming, Cage, and anyone else who isn't scared to take chances.

If we can't criticize it on it's story... what are we suppose to criticize it on? It's compelling gameplay? People criticize game stories all the time, fortunately when stories in those games fall flat there's usually good gameplay to back it up. All beyond has is it's story, so yes it should be heavily scrutinized.

tookhster

If we can't criticize it on it's story... what are we suppose to criticize it on? It's compelling gameplay? People criticize game stories all the time, fortunately when stories in those games fall flat there's usually good gameplay to back it up. All beyond has is it's story, so yes it should be heavily scrutinized.

But then how come games like Journey and The Walking Dead get a free pass? People praise those games when they don't have compelling gameplay at all. You do more in this game than you would in Journey(which I loved), where all you do is just follow someone through different environments. The story (Journey's) is told through flashbacks without a single word, and it plays it safe. In the Walking Dead, all you do is choose what you want to say to people
and it doesn't even matter in the end. Everyone scripted to die dies, and the game makes you think your choices are doing something (Kenny will remember that, etc.)
when they really don't. So essentially, those are as much as an interactive movie as Beyond is, at least to me.

The thing is, as much as I had fun with the game, Cage really is a bad writer. Like painfully bad at certain things. The funny thing is, he isn't that bad at the smaller things, character interaction can still fell a bit forced, but it's better than it was in previous games, and the acting in Beyond is MILES ahead of HR or Fahrenheit. The problem he has is that he kinda cannot escape really really bad cliche, and when he tries to make things epic, he just kinda fails.

His directing, and setting of scenes is great. The camera angles and mood in this game are second to none for this type of experience. He actually takes time in scenes that require it, and it works very well for an interactive experience. The story as a whole though, and the ridiculous turns it sometimes takes hurt the overall experience. The game is less ridiculous than Fahrenheit (just barely) and more ridiculous than Heavy Rain. It still has some great emotional scenes, and I am still onboard with QD, but man I can never finish one of their games without noticing the wasted potential.

Edit:

tookhster said:
But then how come games like Journey and The Walking Dead get a free pass? People praise those games when they don't have compelling gameplay at all. You do more in this game than you would in Journey(which I loved), where all you do is just follow someone through different environments. The story (Journey's) is told through flashbacks without a single word, and it plays it safe. In the Walking Dead, all you do is choose what you want to say to people and it doesn't even matter in the end. Everyone scripted to die dies, and the game makes you think your choices are doing something (Kenny will remember that, etc.) when they really don't. So essentially, those are as much as an interactive movie as Beyond is, at least to me.

Well, journey is evoking a different experience. And it was great, and IMO succeeded at what it set out to do. Walking Dead was a hell of a lot more competently written than Beyond was, and yes while it ended up in the same place, HOW it got there was the thing. The choices you made were powerful. One difference is also that Walking Dead was a personal story, and it REMAINED a personal story. Beyond shits the bed when (ending)
It decides to go epic, especially in the final chapter or the hints of apocalypse. It would have been better off keeping the scale smaller. The huge government conspiracies, the threat of the world ending. That stuff took more away from the story than it added.

FS gave me the steelbook edition! I pre ordered this game like 2 years ago :D

9otyGgS.jpg

QYsL74f.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
But then how come games like Journey and The Walking Dead get a free pass? People praise those games when they don't have compelling gameplay at all. You do more in this game than you would in Journey(which I loved), where all you do is just follow someone through different environments. The story (Journey's) is told through flashbacks without a single word, and it plays it safe. In the Walking Dead, all you do is choose what you want to say to people
and it doesn't even matter in the end. Everyone scripted to die dies, and the game makes you think your choices are doing something (Kenny will remember that, etc.)
when they really don't. So essentially, those are as much as an interactive movie as Beyond is, at least to me.

1. Journey had a unique mechanic not seen in any other game. It was an social experiment that worked really really well and that's what made it great. Hell, the bond you get with another player seemed more geniune than any of the character relationships in Beyond:TS.

2. Walking dead's illusion of choice is one of the best things it does, and hides it very well. You never really get that feeling that it doesn't matter on your first playthrough and that's impressive in itself. Also having your choices not matter doesn't affect the plot, the story still stand up on it's own. I mean can you describe to me Beyond's plot? It was just a series of events about a girl and her ghost's crazy unbelievable adventures.

It does lack the feeling of actual consequence and choice of Heavy Rain, but it's been a mystifying romp that is keeping me engaged and curious.
It actually doesn't. But it really feels that way, probably because of the non-linear storytelling. Outside of the ending they pretty can't do global consequences very well, because it would screw with the past/future. You know that so it feels lacking. Heavy Rain didn't have much global consequences either for 2/3 of the game. Then you could die yes, but not before that. When it comes to local consequences that only affect a single scene, Beyond and Heavy Rain are pretty much doing the same thing.

The thing is, as much as I had fun with the game, Cage really is a bad writer. Like painfully bad at certain things. The funny thing is, he isn't that bad at the smaller things, character interaction can still fell a bit forced, but it's better than it was in previous games, and the acting in Beyond is MILES ahead of HR or Fahrenheit.
Yeah and that's exactly why I ignore the main plot for most of the time. For like 2/3 of the game it stays pretty subdued and the game doesn't shove it into your face constantly like HR did. So I can concentrate on the things he does great, character moments like you said. I'm just playing out the scenes without trying to think about how I got there and makes it much more enjoyable lol

Hell, the bond you get with another player seemed more geniune than any of the character relationships in Beyond:TS.
I would almost say playing Beyond in co-op mode is a social experiment as well. I heard some crazy stories from people who did that :D

2. Walking dead's illusion of choice is one of the best things it does, and hides it very well. You never really get that feeling that it doesn't matter on your first playthrough and that's impressive in itself.
It does it well. The problem is with this kind of game I want to talk about it after I beat it. Heavy Rain holds up, because people are talking about the different endings. TWD falls apart and at least I got frustrated at it after the fact.

2. Walking dead's illusion of choice is one of the best things it does, and hides it very well. You never really get that feeling that it doesn't matter on your first playthrough and that's impressive in itself. Also having your choices not matter doesn't affect the plot, the story still stand up on it's own. I mean can you describe to me Beyond's plot? It was just a series of events about a girl and her ghost's crazy unbelievable adventures.

Hides it very well?! TWD's illusion of choice became abundantly clear to me by about Episode 3, when I noticed that the people I chose to save only wound up dying a short time later anyway. I liked the game, but for something that placed such a huge emphasis on choice, there's zero tension involved when you know there's no weight to the decisions you make.

Ce-Lin

halfway through my second playthrough, it wasn't the "shining new toy" syndrome, it really is one of best game of the year along The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite in my personal right or wrong opinion, really awesome stuff. Be it a game, movie, choose your own adventure interactive bluray disc, whatever it is, it's up there with Heavy Rain as my two gems of the generation not probably to be matched again since the poor reviews, we want FPS ! new Cod ! new Battlefield !

personally I'm gonna keep buying these games if they keep making them (I'm not holding my breath) no matter how movie critics in this forum and "the industry is dying everytime David Cage puts out a game" apologists try to persuade me with walls of text about movie scripts, morale, ethics and nonsense, specially those that haven't even played this game.

Hides it very well?! TWD's illusion of choice became abundantly clear to me by about Episode 3, when I noticed that the people I chose to save only wound up dying a short time later anyway. I liked the game, but for something that placed such a huge emphasis on choice, there's zero tension involved when you know there's no weight to the decisions you make.
Also this. BTW are you getting Beyond on Friday Acqui? Don't let the reviews fool you. Just don't focus on the main plot too much and concentrate on the characters instead and you should enjoy it. Also for the love of god explore your environment with Aiden/Jodie till you interacted with everything, don't let anything stop you from that. The most heart-warming, emotional and funny moments are hidden away in those interactions and if you miss a lot of them the game suffers greatly IMO.

Top Bottom