• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

statham

I'm at 2+ hours in and loving it so far, I can understand the bad reviews and why some don't like it, but for me, its exactly what I wanted.

K.Sabot

Haven't been able to find this all day.

Even went to a walmart that had signs up advertising that it would be out the 8th and they didn't even have it.

Anyone else having problems downloading the v1.01 patch? I managed to get 19% in before the download died, and now it doesn't even want to start before it errors out with a 80710092, which seems to be the generic "your internet is fucked!" message. Which is hilarious, because just seconds before my last attempt, I had to pause the download for the Beyond: Two Souls extra features, which was going at a pretty fast clip.

I've already restarted the PS3 (against my will--it crashed when I tried to cancel the last patch download after it stalled).

UPDATE: Finally downloading after several false starts. Seems like it's just PSN congestion. I wanted to play this game an hour ago and I haven't even gotten to the installation yet. Sheesh.

SRTtoZ

Anyone else having problems downloading the v1.01 patch? I managed to get 19% in before the download died, and now it doesn't even want to start before it errors out with a 80710092, which seems to be the generic "your internet is fucked!" message. Which is hilarious, because just seconds before my last attempt, I had to pause the download for the Beyond: Two Souls extra features, which was going at a pretty fast clip.

I've already restarted the PS3 (against my will--it crashed when I tried to cancel the last patch download after it stalled).

Nope mine downloaded fine a few hours ago.

In general the writing and performances seem far improved over Heavy Rain and I'm enjoying myself although I'm quite early on. Some incredible visuals, would be nice if this came to the PS4 with more AA and 1080P because some scenes look near photo realistic. Only awkward line delivery I've really noticed so far is the
CIA
people congratulating you at the end of training. Some people have had issues with the teens but I thought they did well enough in the emulation. Miles above everything in Heavy Rain though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm about three hours in and floored at how good this game is. I totally understand why it's divisive but, goddamn I'm loving the ride. I've only seen the reveal footage and a few screens so going in completely fresh has been refreshing and exciting.

Goldenhen

I just bought the standard edition because I haven't seen the special edition on the shelves. I'm on the way home just waiting the train to arrive.

I have played Heavy Rain when it came out and I really enjoyed it. So hopefully I will enjoy this game too.

After reading on review thread, I hope the story is better than Alien Colonist Marines that came out early this year. Or improved from Heavy Rain story.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

UPDATE: Finally downloading after several false starts. Seems like it's just PSN congestion. I wanted to play this game an hour ago and I haven't even gotten to the installation yet. Sheesh.

Had the same problem for a while, but it just started downloading properly. Very, very slowly.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I like "watching" games and cut scenes. Is this for me? It looks like a game movie to me and I am alright with that.

Cloudy

Banned
So I played for over an hour and just finished the
CIA training
. I like it quite a bit so far. Story seems intriguing...

Got my special edition, but I don't know when I'll have the time to dive in. Probably this weekend.

And screw the reviews. I loved Heavy Rain, I know I'll love this too.

Cloudy

Banned
Is the 30 minute DLC available for purchase on PSN yet? or is that just an exclusive edition retail release for now?

It's for sale already under "additional content". I'll buy if it's like $5 (that's all I have on there lol)

edit: looks like the game just links to it in the store but it's not up yet

Darknight

Played for ~4 hours. Game is great so far.

My only pet peeve is the combat. Like there was a fight where I missed all the counters or punches because I didnt really know if I had to duck or punch. The animation alone doesnt really distinguish those actions that well. So that was sorta disappointing. Guess its one of the flaws of the fight/right stick system.

I have a few questions though. Is the Jodie young version (little kid) based off how Ellen Page looked like when she was at around that age or was it "guestimated"? If they made her look like her real life own self as a kid, that would be amazing and if I were Ellen, I'd be psyched to have my digital self as a kid in a game. Nobody has done that in a game or media I think!

Also can Jodie see what Aiden can see or does he just relay that info to her, "verbally"?

Anyways I never beat Heavy Rain and I dont think I will be able to after beating this game. The visuals alone may make that experience seem outdated lol.

I have a few questions though. Is the Jodie young version (little kid) based off how Ellen Page looked like when she was at around that age or was it "guestimated"? If they made her look like her real life own self as a kid, that would be amazing and if I were Ellen, I'd be psyched to have my digital self as a kid in a game. Nobody has done that in a game or media I think!

ellen's face when she was 8.

Is the Jodie young version (little kid) based off how Ellen Page looked like when she was at around that age or was it "guestimated"? If they made her look like her real life own self as a kid, that would be amazing and if I were Ellen, I'd be psyched to have my digital self as a kid in a game. Nobody has done that in a game or media I think!

I believe they did, yes. Ellen's mom even made a comment that it looks just like her when she was younger. It was in one of the interviews, I believe.

Scrabble

I've read some comments that there aren't any consequences to your actions, is this true? One of the things I loved about Heavy Rain was how tense it got precisely because things carried weight and affected the story in very drastic ways. Maybe your character would die, perhaps you miss out on a crucial clue preventing you from finding your son, etc. Without spoiling anything of course, is there anything along those lines in Beyond to the extent in Heavy Rain?

I was reading joystiq's commentaries about the review of this game, and I found this one:
Maybe when it goes on sale then.
And then, the reply that made me ROFL
Maybe when they show it for free on basic cable, I can have it on in the background while I play video games.
lol:
Almost finished my second playthrough... I can't believe the two greatest games of this generation released in the same year on the same console. It's tough to decide if Jodie or Ellie is the most awesome girl in the history of videogames.
I've seen hyperboles, but this one, takes the cake. It's absurd.

Replicant

I've read some comments that there aren't any consequences to your actions, is this true? One of the things I loved about Heavy Rain was how tense it got precisely because things carried weight and affected the story in very drastic ways. Maybe your character would die, perhaps you miss out on a crucial clue preventing you from finding your son, etc. Without spoiling anything of course, is there anything along those lines in Beyond to the extent in Heavy Rain?

Your failures all adds up to your character's possibility to finding happiness at the end of the game.

Grisby

I just love walking around in Cage's games doing all sorts of mundane things.

Really enjoyed that first scene too. Perfect way to introduce the mechanics.

Frazley

I LOVE THIS GAME! I like interactive movies and I also love the story. It is doing a lot of different things than I expected and wow it brings back memories of Heavy Rain! I am loving it so far!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is really good so far. She really sells how messed up her whole outlook is because of what she is. I get creeped out many times from how lifelike everything is, it's pretty astonishing what they did with their tech.

Homeless section was strong, such great acting in that one.

Sats

Banned
Just finished The Party,
holy shit that took a turn
really enjoying the game so far, but I understand why reviews are so mixed.

It seems to me like as far as choice is concerned in the game, it is more influential in terms of the chapter than the story at large. Like, it is more like "This is how Jodie's life is", basically
if you decided to make Aiden evil or not.

Also can Jodie see what Aiden can see or does he just relay that info to her, "verbally"?
She can, but it hurts like hell and she is in trance not able to control herself pretty much. So she hates doing it.

There are two types of consequences. Local ones and global ones. The local ones only affect one chapter. For example in one scene you want to escape from somewhere. If you succeed you get another 20 minute long scene as a reward. If you fail you end the chapter immediately.

Global ones do factor into the ending and have to do with Aiden. Obviously spoiler territory here.
Beyond actually does it more subtle than Heavy Rain, it's less "in your face" choice screens. That's probably why reviewers didn't notice it, not obvious enough lol

The one thing that is missing from HR is the ability to die as a player character. But with just one character this time around this should be obvious. Failure can lead to side characters dying as a substitute at least.

Around 3 hours in and this game is amazing so far! If anyone here enjoys a game like Heavy Rain or any old school adventure games should give this a chance it's that good!

Smokey

Liking it so far. I'm not very far into it. Maybe 1.5 or so. I went in completely dark avoiding trailers as much as I can. I liked Heavy Rain for what it was so regardless of reviews I was going to try it out.

Ceebs

Just finished the game. Some chapters are fantastic and others are simply terrible.

The non linear story is a fucking joke though. It is the single worst thing about the game and there is zero reason it should be there.

The acting for the most part is pretty good, and the game actually looks very good (even if it does run like shit a good chunk of the time) There were a few scenes where parts of them were getting close to photo realism if you were not paying super close attention.

But really you are playing the game for the story and honestly, as a whole it is pretty bad with some massive bright spots along the way.

I would say maybe a 7 or 8 on the game review scale, and 5 on an actual 1-10 scale.

Ferrio

Banned
The non linear story is a fucking joke though. It is the single worst thing about the game and there is zero reason it should be there.

I'm convinced the only reason for it is because if it was linear the story would be much easier to tell how bad it is.

Don't give (mid-game spoiler)
Tuesday the water, deliver stillborn baby.

Hope Digital Foundry or someone does something on the tech used in the game. Really looks incredible and would come close to photorealism in spots if it wasn't for the aliasing. The scene in the bathroom near the beginning of the game really wowed me. Really the best looking game on the system by a fair amount.

eival

i dont even know how far i am but its really hard to keep going.

this is essentially TellTales Walking Dead, but with realistic graphics rather than cel shaded comic book style and less engaging story.

Heavy Rain atleast very early on you knew it was a mystery solving game and was great, up til the point where you see the shadow of the guy, with the very obvious outline, which was really dumb, idk why they chose to do that.

this crap, one second your a kid, the next your doing combat training with shooting and stealth aspects, which is more combat than Heavy Rain had so im like okay this might be cool...nope now you're just running with QTE and not actually shooting anyone and in the parts where they make it seem like you can explore and check things out, every two seconds theres a scripted cutscene of someone in the room reminding you of what to do or some BS reason why you cant go there/do that.

nothing about the possession aspect is interesting, its like playing out any of the million movies that have used this plot, especially when her as the "trained killer" is still relying on it to get out of every scenario and they're trying to present this option of being evil but the dont let you go all the way, with the scripted limits when choking a kid, but cops can get choked to death all day, and its basically like the demon arm stuff in The Darkness(the one by Starbreeze) which had an awesome story that didnt bore me 20 minutes in, too bad they didnt get to do the sequel, but Chronicles of Riddick Dark Athena collection was dope and Syndicate was pretty great too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The 1.01 update that the game downloads prior to starting, is this by any chance the censorship update? It's called "Update 1.01 (US)" which I've never seen labeled like that before, with region labeling.

Played a bit using the smartphone app. Actually like it much better than the controller.
Do you get to control anything directly using it, or is it more like "press screen to continue"? When I downloaded the app, explanation made it like all you had to do was press the white dot on the screen once it shows up.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done with a long session with this game... Liking it a lot so far, though the chapters are so uneven. It's not as urgent or gripping as Heavy Rain was, but I find myself empathizing with Jodie a lot and Page's performance is great. The girl who plays the younger version of the character is pretty damn good as well.

Spoilers up through the Navajo chapter.

I'm trying to play Aiden as benignly as possible, so I was really bummed when I had to possess Cole... rebellious teenage Jodie gonna rebel, I guess. :| I messed around with the kids at the party because fuck those guys, but I really didn't want to manipulate Cole since he was just doing his job. I wonder if it was possible to just sit there and wait it out...?

I am pretty divided on the Homeless chapter. Cool to see that snowy, urban setting again (made me think back fondly on the beginning of Fahrenheit) but the series of "Jodie, you're a miracle!" events was piled on so quickly that I was rolling my eyes. So Jodie is the new Babymaster (eat your heart out, Shelby)?

Holy hell the desert looked amazing. Those textures...

I'll probably finish off the rest of the game tomorrow and then try out alternate outcomes (fail at every QTE, heh).

So yeah, QuanticDream are wizards and I look forward to what this engine can pull off in the future. Just... I really, really hope Cage's writing collaborators have a lot more say in the next game they develop.

Persona7

Banned
I really want to start this game but I feel like I am getting a cold or some other common illness. I don't like playing games when I am feeling weird.

Leeness

Really liking it so far, though I definitely understand the love it or hate it aspect to the reviews.

Party spoilers
Dude hitting on me and then calling me a slut, whatever, I burned the house down. No fucks given.

My only regret is that all the teenagers made it out alive.

FluxWaveZ

A fantastic game so far. I was liking it at first, despite finding some of the controls to be clunky and not being all that into the time skips, but after hitting the chapter 'Homeless', I've started really loving Beyond.

Kind of regret not choosing
the option of revenge and simply leaving
at the birthday party, but it's not something I would have done myself.

Jedi2016

I didn't realize you could take it that far in the party.
I knocked them around a bit and then left.. I guess you can go into the kitchen and start causing trouble?

I did laugh my ass off during the training sessions, though. I missed the mark on one of the obstacles, I tried to guess which way Jodie needed to go instead of reading her movements, so I had her jump straight into a wooden post she was supposed to duck under... BAM, right in the kisser. That must have hurt.

Re: Aiden:
It seems like he's getting stronger as Jodie grows up? I'm still pretty early on in the game, it just seemed like he had an easier time throwing around larger things like the barrels at CIA than he did moving toy blocks around when she was a kid.

Vire

I came in with a very negative outlook, but I'm actually kinda impressed based off this ign lets play intro. Then again, most Cage games start out very strong and veer into a ditch.

Still, consider me intrigued! Might give this a go despite the reviews...

Re: Aiden:
It seems like he's getting stronger as Jodie grows up? I'm still pretty early on in the game, it just seemed like he had an easier time throwing around larger things like the barrels at CIA than he did moving toy blocks around when she was a kid.
Correct.

The non linear story is a fucking joke though. It is the single worst thing about the game and there is zero reason it should be there. .
I know a good one. It would have been boring to play as child Jodie for 6 chapters straight, 3 of which are spend in the same lab. Then teenage Jodie (even more lab scenes), then adult with a lot of action while having almost zero before. Not very good pacing.
So I prefer the non-linear approach. I think they mixed the chapters perfectly in terms of action-calm moments. However, story wise it is not perfectly done no. Not at all. But I rather have more varied scenes honestly, so I'm fine with it. I'll play it chronologically after I beat it just for kicks.

Top Bottom