• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Ce-Lin

My video review. I loved it. I truly had the feels throughout the entire game, and YES IT IS A GAME! Why The Walking Dead get's praised and David/QuanticDreams games get trashed, I'll never understand.

pretty much my feelings, thanks for posting this, hope the reviewers have not killed the chance to see another game like this on PS4 / Xbox One.

WAT? Is this true? That's kind of disappointing. That's another thing that I love about Heavy Rain apart from the complicated QTEs. I wish Cage would just ignored the detractor complaining about HR gameplay. He can fix the script and the acting but leave the gameplay of HR alone.
There are a little bit less, but overall there are still plenty. Many are optional though and you can easily miss them. So make sure to explore the environment with both Jodie and Aiden. Also when Jodie is seeing something interesting make sure to check if you can do something with it with Aiden. If you are in a house, always go upstairs even if the game wants you to go somewhere else to move the story forward. The side interactions are well worth it.

Adien does much more then just push furniture around. You see into peoples thoughts/the past, you posse people, you kill people.

Yeah, but you had to do those things to move the story forward. The furniture- flipping/mirror- smashing were the only Aiden parts I felt you had a choice in. I'm not sure what you could miss though, I just did everything I possibly could.

dmr87

Just to drop off a few words, just done with the
homeless part
, easily my favorite so far. Awesome characters and very immersive, and the visuals, damn.

Off to bed now and probably finish up tomorrow.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my first playthrough and went back to get a few other endings. Have a lot to chew on and overall I enjoyed the experience. The graphics are ridiculous and the acting and animation are miles ahead of Heavy Rain. I really like that the game follows Jodie's development and journey over a long time period, even if the pacing sometimes suffers because of it. Ellen Page is everything you could ask for in a lead, wouldn't have empathized with Jodie so much if not for her amazing performance.

However, Beyond repeats a lot of Quantic Dream's previous mistakes (especially in the writing and lack of focus) and even takes a few major steps back compared to their previous games, IMO.

My biggest disappointment is how QD tried to simplify QTEs and interactions... Heavy Rain still has the best implementation of this kind of gameplay. Beyond's action sequences feel a lot less tense since I never got close to failing and for such a powerful entity, Aiden's option set feels rather limiting.

I'm going to put my opinion out here. I really liked the idea of the game, but I just don't care for the final product. At all. There are several reasons as to why.

1) The non-chronological order. It just takes me out of the whole thing. In my opinion the story should go from start to finish, instead going from random chapter to another random chapter with nothing connecting the two.

2) Lack of interactivity. I know that might sound odd, considering the type of game this is, but that is how I feel. You can do far less than in Heavy Rain. (minor general description spoilers:)
Also every situation I have been in has had one "solution" to what you need to do and even if you fail the gameplay, it seems to have no affect whatsoever to the story. I was hoping for some sort of puzzles with Aiden, where you need to figure out the correct thing to do, else the story changes for the worse.. but nothing does. I don't even get the illusion of choice, because I know that no matter how I do, the game won't punish me or the story won't change. Or that is at least how things seem so far.

Should I even keep going to see what happens? (I am somewhere half done, I'd imagine)

Had a Gamestop pre-order on this one that I picked up today, I was thinking about cancelling it previously but stuck it out given the feedback it had been getting here.

The game is brilliant: depressing, creepy, heart-warming, and often all of the above near-simultaneously in a world that feels believable. The attention to detail is especially impressive, I've found myself spending a fair bit of time just messing around with the camera as Aiden to read all of the text on things. Every single character that has been given a name and more than a minute of screen time to this point has gotten good (or at least decent) character development.

Also, if you told me that it was a PS4 game I might have believed you. It's very, very pretty.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
YOU'RE A MONSTER!!!
David Cage wrote a better script this time but my god, every time people literally shout the words 'You're a monster!' at her I cringe hard.

tookhster

I think they did the whole scrambled timeline because
it would really feel different as a game if they didn't. For example, they didn't want you to play as little Jodie(no combat) for 3-4 straight hours, didn't want you to be an ass-kicking CIA agent for a 2 hours then be a weak hitchhiker/homeless, etc. By spreading it out they managed to balance the different types of gameplay Jodie/Aidan could engage in without making the player (or at least just me) feel like they're playing a different game every few hours. Just look at the pre-CIA Jodie stuff - it's pretty boring or the most part with the parties and the whole Emo-Jodie thing. Players would give up halfway through if they had to go through all that at first without any real action.

Looking back, I'm actually glad they did this.

Replicant

Great, now I have to pre-order the US version too because apparently it has superior the Steelbook version (no PS3 logo on the front, game title on the spine, and internal illustration on the inside of the Steelbook).

Yeah, I know, I have issues/addiction to Steelbook.

My video review. I loved it. I truly had the feels throughout the entire game, and YES IT IS A GAME! Why The Walking Dead get's praised and David/QuanticDreams games get trashed, I'll never understand.

Excellent review dude! Very professional, succinct and cogently executed.

Much better than most of the user reviews on Youtube.

I may have to check this title out after all.

Kitoro

Any impressions on the LameStop exclusive Collector's Edition? I'm thinking of just waiting for this game to be $30 or less on Black Friday, but if the CE is worth it, I'll just pick it up. It doesn't seem as though it's in short supply, either; may be able to score a CE on sale, even!

Any impressions on the LameStop exclusive Collector's Edition? I'm thinking of just waiting for this game to be $30 or less on Black Friday, but if the CE is worth it, I'll just pick it up. It doesn't seem as though it's in short supply, either; may be able to score a CE on sale, even!

Lets just say it doesn't impress me much.

Everything aside from the game itself is a digital copy (including the manual-a disturbing trend given Puppeteer did the same) and the steel book doesn't seem that great to me. Compared to the steel book that came with certain versions of SWTOR it seems cheaply made.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh yeah I almost shat my pants at points in
imaginary friend
lol

Yea, that chapter got me a few times too. Surprising too since not even Amnesia really spooked me that much.

Nothing too exciting really. The steelbook is alright I guess, but only the disc and bonus content slip is inside. The freebie DLC chapter is a decent 20 minute romp in a Portal-esque test trial obstacle course that utilizes Aiden and Jodie teamwork in more creative ways than I have seen in the game so far. No trophies or real payoff for completion but it wasn't bad as a freebie. Haven't watched the bonus videos yet or checked out the dynamic theme. It was a free upgrade for pre-orders though, so I guess you get a decent amount of stuff for the same cost.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's weird.
The Hunted chapter before showed you that she is on the run since weeks and mentally exhausted till the last degree. That's how she ends up in Homeless. The Party showed you that she has no friends or love. Most of the other scenes showed you that she is sick of Aiden and doesn't want him anymore. She has no reason to continue at this point and is incredibly depressed. The attempted suicide hit a very strong note with me, I could perfectly relate.

It was more in context of the specific scene showing up, I guess. After the Condenser she seemed worried that Aiden was gone, then it goes here and she's telling Aiden to leave her alone. But I do get that her life has been incredibly shitty, and it actually hit a lot harder actually attempting to fall off onto the highway and be saved by Aiden. I didn't, stopped the session there and made that post, and it put me before it and had some dialoge more about it which made more sense to me.

That said, the game is clicking with me a lot more actually playing that segment and going further. I now expect it to be moving around and it's making more mental sense to me, but I'll have to see how it wraps up.

pottuvoi

Banned
I never play the bad guy in games, but something about being a ghost makes me really want to, and hearing Ellen Page yell at me for ruining everything makes me want to even more.

I like being an asshole ghost.
Had co-op session with wife and tried to be a good Jodie, sadly Aiden had a really mean streak as well.
Co-op is quite nice addition.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Almost 4AM again and still playing.

Like somethin about this game..like when I'm not playing it, I really don't feel like booting it up (aside from having to return it to Redbox and not get raped on fees) but when I finally start playing it, I can't put it down.

My only complaint is the sometimes wonky movement and when you're playing as Aiden being confused which way you need to move the sticks to get him to do something.

Loakum

Banned
Just to drop off a few words, just done with the
homeless part
, easily my favorite so far. Awesome characters and very immersive, and the visuals, damn.

Off to bed now and probably finish up tomorrow.

Agreed! That part really got to me emotionally. The acting from those
homeless characters
was top notch!

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, the graphics are kind of unbelievable. Feels like I'm already playing a next gen game.

I never played a QD game before but I'm digging this. Characters and concepts so far are compelling, music is also ace. There's more player control than I expected too based off all the crying I usually see related to QD.

Only thing I'm not sold on is the non linear narrative. Its not hard to follow obviously but I'm not seeing a reason for it just yet. Hoping there will be a meaningful one. Otherwise this is really impressive.

Just competed the part where
you escape the forest and fight in the town
can't wait to pock it back up tomorrow.

breakfuss

I'll just say that if you liked Heavy Rain you'll probably enjoy Beyond. Those who weren't fond of HR (like me) probably won't enjoy Beyond, lol. It really is that simple. Although Beyond is better than HR in a lot of ways, it still isn't my cup of my tea. And by tea, I mean movie.

That said, I understand (and appreciate) what Cage & company have done. The motion capture and voice acting are unrivaled. The music is fantastic. These people obviously know how to create compelling atmosphere. What they can't seem to figure out is how to couch these things in decent narrative. Don't get me wrong - as whole, Beyond plays around with an interesting concept. It's simply that its vignettes don't coalesce well. It's hard to say why without spoiling, but I'm left feeling very underwhelmed. Really, I thought, "oooookayyy" when it concluded. This is underpinned by some atrociously poor character development, no doubt exacerbated by the order in which things unfold.

Do I think it's worth $60? Nope. Is it worth your time? I'd say, maybe, if only because it's a mighty ambitious project. Ironically, that may be what it suffers from the most. Trying to do so many things (plot wise) and ultimately failing. The 5.0s its receiving may be too harsh, but the 9.0s are certainly too generous. I'd probably give it a 7. It'll be interesting to hear everyone else's thoughts.

jiggles

Banned
Copy arrived today from ShopTo. I was *this* close to calling it a "work from home" day, but then I remembered that between having to entertain the dog and actually get some work done, there's no time for the odd burst of a game anymore.

Carl

My copy has just shipped. Was hoping it would be here today, but shit :( Will have to wait until tomorrow I guess!

Banzai

The way those teenagers at the party talked was really cringe-worthy. Good thing my Jodie was probably too drunk to hear any of it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Man, the graphics are kind of unbelievable. Feels like I'm already playing a next gen game.

I never played a QD game before but I'm digging this. Characters and concepts so far are compelling, music is also ace. There's more player control than I expected too based off all the crying I usually see related to QD.

Only thing I'm not sold on is the non linear narrative. Its not hard to follow obviously but I'm not seeing a reason for it just yet. Hoping there will be a meaningful one. Otherwise this is really impressive.

Just competed the part where
you escape the forest and fight in the town
can't wait to pock it back up tomorrow.

it comes together for the last 2-3 hours don't worry and the reason they did the non-linear is because you would be bored with a non adult jodie for 3 hours straight. This way you have downtime during the long action scenes to regather and learn more background info.

LogicStep

This game did something that I've never really witnessed in any other game. Choosing Ellen Page as the main protagonist and having Aiden be an invisible ghost was an absolutely brilliant move. By choosing a known actress to play Jodie, the game gives up all notion of having the player feel like they are the character themselves. It goes against all design philosophy that the playable character has to be an extension of the player themselves. Ditch all of those bald Caucasian protagonist that this gen seems to have a dime a dozen.

I could never "role play" as Jodie, but when ever control switches to Aiden, I feel like I'm Aiden. I've rarely felt this immersed in a game before. All of the mischievous things that I can do as Aiden and my choice to refuse Jodie's plea to stop was something that I chose myself.

There are a lot of RPGs that allow an evil or good action, but I'm never comfortable with doing the evil side of things, at least for the whole game. Me as Aiden, however, I don't mind wreaking some havoc.

I'm avoiding all reviews for now, before I start thinking like those reviews and not give the game credit it deserves.
I feel the same way, I'm LOVING this game.

Almost 4AM again and still playing.

Like somethin about this game..like when I'm not playing it, I really don't feel like booting it up (aside from having to return it to Redbox and not get raped on fees) but when I finally start playing it, I can't put it down.
I feel exactly the same way lol. Weird.

Z3M0G

This game did something that I've never really witnessed in any other game. Choosing Ellen Page as the main protagonist and having Aiden be an invisible ghost was an absolutely brilliant move. By choosing a known actress to play Jodie, the game gives up all notion of having the player feel like they are the character themselves. It goes against all design philosophy that the playable character has to be an extension of the player themselves. Ditch all of those bald Caucasian protagonist that this gen seems to have a dime a dozen.

I could never "role play" as Jodie, but when ever control switches to Aiden, I feel like I'm Aiden. I've rarely felt this immersed in a game before. All of the mischievous things that I can do as Aiden and my choice to refuse Jodie's plea to stop was something that I chose myself.

There are a lot of RPGs that allow an evil or good action, but I'm never comfortable with doing the evil side of things, at least for the whole game. Me as Aiden, however, I don't mind wreaking some havoc.

I'm avoiding all reviews for now, before I start thinking like those reviews and not give the game credit it deserves.

Wow... This may be the first time someone "got" the original intention of the game... I bet this is exactly what they were going for.

When I play with my GF, she plays as Jodie and I play as Aiden... so I have even more of the experience you are describing here. I'm not even playing Jodie at all, my experience is 100% Aiden. And sometimes my GF tells me to stop too just like Jodie is doing, and I choose whether or not to obey. Not Jodie, but my GF.

My mind is a little blown right now...

Now that I've nearly finished the game twice and my mind isn't as immersed in Jodie's world as is was before, and now that the negative reviews have been published, I start being more and more aware of the game's flaws.

What bothers me the most is the absence of choice. Choice and consequences is the best aspect of story-based videogames (e.g. Alpha Protocol, Silent Hill Shattered Memories) but, in Beyond, they're only effective in the last hour of the game. In that respect, Beyond is much worse than Heavy Rain.

Also, the gameplay, while easier than Heavy Rain, feels more hybridized/bastardized. I don't know what David Cage really aimed for, gameplay-wise. I'm not sure he knew himself. Either there's too much gameplay or there's not enough of it. It's not well balanced. As the Gamekult reviewer said, why taking five minutes just to light a fire, or make me press the right stick just to open a door? It makes even less sense than in Heavy Rain, where more things were interactive.

The plot and its rhythm are also full of problems and incoherences but I don't think I need to point them out again.

However, I still think Beyond is an interesting and very personal creation that Cage made with his heart, and I enjoyed discovering Jodie's life. However, it has VERY little replay value and I'm not sure to whom I would recommend buying it full price.

LogicStep

Now that I've nearly finished the game twice and my mind isn't as immersed in Jodie's world as is was before, and now that the negative reviews have been published, I start being more and more aware of the game's flaws.

What bothers me the most is the absence of choice. Choice and consequences is the best aspect of story-based videogames (e.g. Alpha Protocol, Silent Hill Shattered Memories) but, in Beyond, they're only effective in the last hour of the game. In that respect, Beyond is much worse than Heavy Rain.

Also, the gameplay, while easier than Heavy Rain, feels more hybridized/bastardized. I don't know what David Cage really aimed for, gameplay-wise. I'm not sure he knew himself. Either there's too much gameplay or there's not enough of it. It's not well balanced. As the Gamekult reviewer said, why taking five minutes just to light a fire, or make me press the right stick just to open a door? It makes even less sense than in Heavy Rain, where more things were interactive.

The plot and its rhythm are also full of problems and incoherences but I don't think I need to point them out again.

However, I still think Beyond is an interesting and very personal creation that Cage made with his heart, and I enjoyed discovering Jodie's life. However, it has VERY little replay value and I'm not sure to whom I would recommend buying it full price.
I'm on my first playthrough. I have none of the issues you point because I just really enjoy what it is, not attacking you. However I'm worried about your statement that it has little replay value. I thought the game would play out very different depending on how you go about things, like small things that you can do differently. Do none of these really change anything on the playthrough? Obviously besides different dialogues, does the game play out the same way and the only difference is in the endings? Isn't there supposed to be over 20 endings or did I read that wrong somewhere?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Managed to get the special edition at the same price as the normal lol. Nice looking box.

Looking forward to playing

L3MmlPb.png

hahaha early game spoiler (The party)
fucking with those douche bag kids was awesome! I would have left them alone but they burnt Jodie with a cigarette butt so I scared them good! wish could kill em all

eXistor

I'm very much enjoying the game, but its main drawback is its writing. Like Heavy Rain, Cage seemingly has no ideas of his own and just looked at movies that have scenes that he likes and tries to emulate them. Beyond is filled with hilariously awkward and clichéd scenes. Ellen Page really does nail her part so it's in no small part thanks to her that it just about works.

Again, I'm very much enjoying it though, it's a clear step back from Heavy Rain imo, but it's still entertaining and similar enough that fans of that game should find enough to like here. Just hire a decent writer next time Cage.

Obviously besides different dialogues, does the game play out the same way and the only difference is in the endings? Isn't there supposed to be over 20 endings or did I read that wrong somewhere?

Pretty much.

The 23 endings seem to be mostly variations of the same two or three endings. Nothing as radical as Heavy Rain.

Voidance

I had no intentions of buying or playing this game, but my fiancee bought it for me anyway because she's awesome like that. Anyway, despite my disdain for Heavy Rain, I find myself very engrossed. The subject of loneliness is not a foreign feeling and, as an only child, I can definitely relate to certain scenes quite well. I'm still really early on, but I'm really digging it.

This is one of those games where I can disregard the occasionally questionable writing for the greater experience.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Played the game a bit past the "Hunted" scene from the demo. Some notes;

- Safe to say that if you liked Heavy Rain, there's no way you won't like this game.
- Despite feeling a lot like past Cage's games, it's different enough that it doesn't feel a total retread of the old ground. Aiden manipulation is to thank here, as it's a totally new dynamic for this type of game.
- Visuals are unbelievable at times. Like literally. The train chase scene looks practically photoreal many times if you squint a bit. I think this might be the first published game that's using a physically correct shaders for all the materials, same technique we've seen deployed in MGS5, and next gen gams like KZ:SD, Ryse, etc (we'll be seeing a lot in the future). Scene at the party where the kids dim down the light gradually showcases the best what this sort of thing can do. Everything looks so nice and real in total sunlight, as well as in darkness, and all the steps in between.
- Animation also is really great. Not just the mocapped facial expressions which are for sure the best there is right now, but the gameplay animation is far better and more organic than in Heavy Rain.
- While the game doesn't keep this incredulous visual level 100% of the time, I have to call out that Giantbomb review as flat out insane for saying that visuals are underwhelming.
- As others noted, I have a feeling that making any kind of choice in the game so far would only have resulted at a different outcome for that particular scene, but nothing past it would change. A non-linear narrative makes that pretty clear early on. Still, even different outcomes withing a scene seem like they could be something fun to see.
- So far at least, Ellen's acting (both in voice and facial expressions) saves the day when it comes to buying the whole situation. Sometimes things do get cringeworthy, but nowehere as much like in HR. I also think that choice making narrative of the game backfires sometimes as they simply didn't account for all the choices they allowed to make for things to look believable. For example,
at the birthday party, that guy you talk to seems completely understanding one minute, and if you befriend and dance with him, there's not even a hint of some kind of maliciousness about him. Yet, a minute later he happily joins the teen lynch mob instead of trying to defend you or something. If you angered him in earlier conversation,
his behavior would be believable, but this way it isn't.

Z3M0G

For example,
at the birthday party, that guy you talk to seems completely understanding one minute, and if you befriend and dance with him, there's not even a hint of some kind of maliciousness about him. Yet, a minute later he happily joins the teen lynch mob instead of trying to defend you or something.
If you angered him in earlier conversation, his behavior would be believable, but this way it isn't.

Yah, I also wish that making different choices changed
how he reacted with the group in the end.
But I think the director really wanted you to feel
emotionally hurt and betrayed
most of all in this situation.

I'm at
Navajo
and everything is finally starting to come together. I'm currently deciding on if
I want to go outside and investigate the weird stuff
or not.

LogicStep

Pretty much.

The 23 endings seem to be mostly variations of the same two or three endings. Nothing as radical as Heavy Rain.

I guess it's good I got it from Redbox. Really loving the game so far but if it's like that I probably won't play it more than once. I don't like trying to go for all the endings in these kinds of games because I tend to mess up and get the same ending again. Don't know, I'll see how I feel about this once I'm done with my first playthrough.

For example,
at the birthday party, that guy you talk to seems completely understanding one minute, and if you befriend and dance with him, there's not even a hint of some kind of maliciousness about him. Yet, a minute later he happily joins the teen lynch mob instead of trying to defend you or something. If you angered him in earlier conversation,
his behavior would be believable, but this way it isn't.

I think this is intentional.
I feel like Cage is making a point about how easily teenagers cave to peer pressure by having him change his tune so suddenly. In my playthrough, I had Jodie kiss him, and he returns the favour by calling her a slut during that scene. That doesn't seem like a mistake.
It's a little heavy-handed to me, like a lot of Cage's writing, but maybe it needed to be to get the point across--you're supposed to feel
a mixture of bewilderment and shock, which wouldn't really work if his behavior was consistent throughout the party.

I played yesterday the homeless chapter and they really should have hired a good actress for Tuesday and avoided close ups. Anyway still better than Heavy Rain

synce

So this game made me fall in love with Ellen Page. This past week I've been watching all her movies... some of them are kinda meh but she makes them worth watching

Top Bottom