• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Outside of maybe one section, I thought Madison Paige was poorly done. Out of all of them she is the least developed and seemed to just be there for Ethan. And just like Ethan's blackouts, her character seemed to have a greater role in mind and then was cut down severely to what we saw.

Keep in mind though, I haven't played HR since launch, despite still owning it. I just remember finding Shelby and Ethan being executed well, Norman not doing too bad himself, and Madison being very underwhelming.
Madison was the worst of them yeah. I should have said 3, but I was lazy. I mentioned in my edit that Jodie shits all over her.

I think the biggest problem with the game is that the skips in the game timeline are seemingly random. It's not like it shows a future segment, shows you something that the cast understands, but you as the player doesn't, then jumps back to the time in Jodie's life where it is explained. It'd be a lot better if it was like this. But it's not.
Well it sometimes does this, mostly the opposite though. Hunted follows Welcome to the CIA for a reason. It pretty much uses the same mechanics and parts of it are almost identical (e.g. climbing the rock). Welcome to the CIA has to come before, or you wouldn't understand why the cops are talking about a CIA agent wanted for treason. First interview teases the monsters. My imaginary Friend shows them. The Condenser, which happens right after that, gives them a name and an origin. At the beginning of Homeless Jodie says "They're back" and the entities are all around her. So Condenser has to happen before, or it doesn't make sense.

It's not perfect and they did some mistakes, but I don't think it is random for the most part.

Story question:
Can you kill the kids at the party?
You can stab one of them with a knife, knock them all out and burn the house down. But they always survive, although badly hurt in some instances.

ThankeeSai

REALLY enjoying this so far :)

Have just completed section called
"The First Night" (where you fight all the evil entities in the bedroom).

How far into it am I?

Hoping I've still got a lot to do.

Even Nintendo has stopped including manuals(ie Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong 3D) It's over guys, physical manuals are truly done ;-;

jiggles

Banned
REALLY enjoying this so far :)

Have just completed section called
"The First Night" (where you fight all the evil entities in the bedroom).

How far into it am I?

Hoping I've still got a lot to do.

I'm at the exact same spot. Calling it a night there. I'm guessing I'll be able to finish it tomorrow with the same playtime.

I'm really enjoying it too. It's not very interactive, but it's a fun ride for sure.

The audio/visual quality is just fucking nuts. If all games looked, sounded and ran this well, I'd be having second thoughts on next-gen.

Darknight

Can anyone answer me this question. I havent beaten the game so dont try to spoiler me. I'd advice only those who beat it to answer this as it contains a scene from like mid game.

Ok so when Jodie is a child, she cant control Aiden yet. She states to Nathan that "he does whatever he/it wants" so then when she gets older, she now has full control of Aiden, correct? (Example when she is a goth chick, she is pissed and can wreck the room due to her anger.)

Im a little confused because when I control Aiden, who really is controlling Aiden in this game? Is it Jodie or Aiden doing what he thinks is best or doing what Jodie suggest to it?

I think there is a chapter called "ALONE" when Jodie's parents are basically abandoning Jodie at the research place. You control Aiden in this scene. Near the end when you see all parties sad except for the dad. When Jodie's father starts walking away, you can see that Aiden can harm/choke the father. In this scenario, who wishes to harm Jodie's dad? Is it Jodie who is hurt that her dad thinks of her as a monster or is it Aiden being pissed that Jodie's dad is a jerk to Jodie. Who is who here DAMN IT!

Also in that CONDENSER level, Jodie tells Aiden to help her against the spirits near the end of the level. In this scenario, I can tell its Aiden helping Jodie so this is why im confused sometimes.

I feel stupid but I feel like Im not getting their connection yet. Help me GAF!

Maldoror

Can anyone answer me this question. I havent beaten the game so dont try to spoiler me. I'd advice only those who beat it to answer this as it contains a scene from like mid game.

Ok so when Jodie is a child, she cant control Aiden yet. She states to Nathan that "he does whatever he/it wants" so then when she gets older, she now has full control of Aiden, correct? (Example when she is a goth chick, she is pissed and can wreck the room due to her anger.)

Im a little confused because when I control Aiden, who really is controlling Aiden in this game? Is it Jodie or Aiden doing what he thinks is best or doing what Jodie suggest to it?

I think there is a chapter called "ALONE" when Jodie's parents are basically abandoning Jodie at the research place. You control Aiden in this scene. Near the end when you see all parties sad except for the dad. When Jodie's father starts walking away, you can see that Aiden can harm/choke the father. In this scenario, who wishes to harm Jodie's dad? Is it Jodie who is hurt that her dad thinks of her as a monster or is it Aiden being pissed that Jodie's dad is a jerk to Jodie. Who is who here DAMN IT!

Also in that CONDENSER level, Jodie tells Aiden to help her against the spirits near the end of the level. In this scenario, I can tell its Aiden helping Jodie so this is why im confused sometimes.

I think this is just David Cage failing at writing a coherent story. I feel like the game world's "rules" are completely random, and this is bothering me as well.

Helscream

Banned
Holy shit.

I just finished "The Condenser" section of the game. Absolutely freaking awesome. Having those malevolent entities possessing dead researchers and throwing/breaking shit all around you was freaking cool.

A very thrilling moment indeed. As well as the the graphics keep blowing me away. After a scene like that I wonder if the game can top that going forward.

I think everything Aiden does is what Aiden wants. That goth scene is Aiden destroying things because Aiden is angry too. I don't think Jodie has complete control over Aiden. There's a scene during "The Diner" that shows something relating to this.

One thing I picked up on straight way which I though was really dumb, was during the homeless bit....
How did Tuesday's water break after she began labor? Doesn't it break first?

aristotle

Holy shit what (Navajo spoiler)
Paul (the father) can die? I just walked in and healed him lol

Damn it! I wasn't spoiled btw. I just finished this part.

I didn't even think about healing Paul. Until I rode off on the bike and I thought "hmm..I bet I could've healed him". Now I feel bad :(

Guess I'm gonna definitely replay this game lol.

Vishnu

Can the game be played with P1 on a smartphone and P2 (aiden) on the controller?
I have a friend who is disabled, and he can't use the controller.
He invited me to go and play the game at his house, cause he wants to see it, but if he can play, well that would be an awesome suprise.

Tohsaka

I finished the game the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I'm going to wait for a trophy guide before I attempt my next playthrough, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Currently on Old Friends(or something).

Liking it a lot but I'm mixed on certain spots. Really didn't enjoy playing
The Mission
and felt it overstayed its welcome a bit, and I also saw what ended up happening with
the kid and you killing his dad from a mile away. Also Ryan is a massive dickhead, I tried to basically fuck up their date as much as possible, lol.

Necrovex

Aiden is a separate entity. Aiden can feel Jodie's emotions and will listen to her because of their super close connection. Jodie will *never* have full control of Aiden. But Aiden isn't going to let Jodie get hurt (i.e. the goth sequence).

For "Alone," the father *assumes* his daughter is the one who attempted to kill him. I doubt he cares if it is Jodie's desire or if Aiden is acting on his own, he'll put all the blame on her.

Beyond has a co-op feature, which really shows that Aiden and Jodie, while connected to each other, are two different beings.

Donthizz#

started my first play through, my first impression "holy shit the graphics", and acting is great too. anybody
messed with those kids after they bullied you at the party?
sooo good.

Mononoke

Banned
Holy god, this game is gorgeous. Even in 720p. Honestly, this is actually what I expect Next Gen to look like. My only gripe is that I wish this had more gameplay. I know know. It's a David Cage game. I expected QTE. I actually liked Heavy Rain quite a bit. But I'm just saying if ONLY they added more moments where there was choices, and you could fail (and that would impact the story), or they added just a tiny bit more gameplay, this game would be perfect.

I do feel a bit more disconnected to this game than I did Heavy Rain, personally. But I'm personally loving the story and the character. So I'm not really complaining.

I just poured five hours straight into this game. Like, came home from work, made some dinner, fired up the PS3, then *boom* bedtime. David Cage may not be the best writer but I sure do seem to like playing his games.

sephi22

Guys, how is the game?
I liked the first half of Indigo Prophecy before the supernatural stuff, and enjoyed playing Heavy Rain, but soured on it about a week later.

Mononoke

Banned
Guys, how is the game?
I liked the first half of Indigo Prophecy before the supernatural stuff, and enjoyed playing Heavy Rain, but soured on it about a week later.

Personally, I feel like this game is more passive than Heavy Rain. Like every scene is much more scripted. Whereas Heavy Rain gave off more of an illusion of being able to walk around and do stuff. Because most of this game is in sequences, or scenes that NEEDS something to directly happen, you aren't really given moments to walk around as much.

Also, without the detective elements, or choices that can lead to failure, or death - the game feels a little bit more passive. That's just me.

But I personally like the story/character more in this game. Although the story is kind of crazy, since it's told out of order. I dunno. If you soured on Heavy Rain, I can't imagine you would like this...tbh.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not trying to act like this is a HUGE departure from Heavy Rain. Like I didn't expect there to be QTE. Of course I did. But at least to me, this game seems slightly less interactive. But maybe my perception is just off. It's just how it feels to me.

Double edit: I'm only 5 hours in. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I have no beat the game yet, so commenting on the overall game is unfair. But the above is how I feel from what I've played.

sephi22

Personally, I feel like this game is more passive than Heavy Rain. Like every scene is much more scripted. Whereas Heavy Rain gave off more of an illusion of being able to walk around and do stuff. Because most of this game is in sequences, or scenes that NEEDS something to directly happen, you aren't really given moments to walk around as much.

Also, without the detective elements, or choices that can lead to failure, or death - the game feels a little bit more passive. That's just me.

But I personally like the story/character more in this game. Although the story is kind of crazy, since it's told out of order. I dunno. If you soured on Heavy Rain, I can't imagine you would like this...tbh.

Thanks. I'll LTTP this next year

Minions

Games great so far..... a certain desert area took way too long (got really old); Other than that I'm enjoying it.
The assassination mission

Papercuts

Holy god, this game is gorgeous. Even in 720p. Honestly, this is actually what I expect Next Gen to look like. My only gripe is that I wish this had more gameplay. I know know. It's a David Cage game. I expected QTE. I actually liked Heavy Rain quite a bit. But I'm just saying if ONLY they added more moments where there was choices, and you could fail (and that would impact the story), or they added just a tiny bit more gameplay, this game would be perfect.

I do feel a bit more disconnected to this game than I did Heavy Rain, personally. But I'm personally loving the story and the character. So I'm not really complaining.

How far are you? The most gameplay centric part has been my least favorite, but I do like more chilled out segments like
The Dinner or The Party which had a lot to interact/mess with
. I think there's more different levels of interactivity they can mess with, I like the more exploitative type.

Mononoke

Banned
How far are you? The most gameplay centric part has been my least favorite, but I do like more chilled out segments like
The Dinner or The Party which had a lot to interact/mess with
. I think there's more different levels of interactivity they can mess with, I like the more exploitative type.

I'm only 5 hours in. I'll edit my post and say that. Probably not fair to be making comments about this game when I haven't beaten it. But at least, that's how I feel about the game so far.

I actually love the experience. So I'm not even complaining. But at least from what I've played, i feel like it's less interactive (outside of Aiden, although I often find his options are limited). But again, I probably should hold off commenting on the game until I beat it.

Thanks. I'll LTTP this next year

Er, take what I say with a grain of salt. I just realized how dumb my post was. I'm only 5 hours in, so I probably shouldn't have replied. I still stand by my experience based on what I've played so far. And to be clear, I actually love this game so far. But I still think it feels more passive than Heavy Rain. But maybe those that have beat it, can tell you more.

Papercuts

I'm only 5 hours in. I'll edit my post and say that. Probably not fair to be making comments about this game when I haven't beaten it. But at least, that's how I feel about the game so far.

I actually love the experience. So I'm not even complaining. But at least from what I've played, i feel like it's less interactive (outside of Aiden, although I often find his options are limited). But again, I probably should hold off commenting on the game until I beat it.

Oh, I think for the most part it's accurate to say that even later on. I agree with you.

Cloudy

Banned
So I finished the Homeless chapter
OMG the guitar scene was epic
. I'm enjoying the game and feel the story works quite well in non-chronological order since they show you the timeline. It's really intriguing and the character development is astounding so far. Loving these aspects.

That said, there are 2 things holding the game back IMO. Clunky, tank controls at points and no consequences to actions. If you could actually be KOed, it'd give the game the tension it's sorely lacking. That Condenser chapter should have been much scarier.

What else? Oh yeah, the music is unreal. Who is the composer and what else has he/she done?

So far, I give it a solid 8. Let's see if the score holds up

PS: The Kara bonus content is unreal

Banzai

okay, in the homeless chapter
did i miss something or did stan really believe without any sort of proof that jodie was channeling his wife? i was kinda distracted in that moment, but thought it was stupid when they called it a "miracle" when jodie could have just rolled her eyes up and talked vague stuff.
really hope i missed something there, the writing of some moments/dialogue definitely sounds weird.

Cloudy

Banned
did i miss something or did stan really believe without any sort of proof that jodie was channeling his wife? i was kinda distracted in that moment, but thought it was stupid when they called it a "miracle" when jodie could have just rolled her eyes up and talked vague stuff.
really hope i missed something there, the writing of some moments/dialogue definitely sounds weird.

I didn't trigger that conversation but
when they were all eating, I switched to Aiden and there was a lady standing with the group who no one else could see
Guess I need to replay that chapter lol

GcRayden

My wife surprised me with this game as a birthday present today and I've been wanting to play it really bad, but I want her there with me, because I know she's interested in the story as well. The problem is that I'm impatient and I really want to play it asap. I would just play it with her here, but our hours are so different; I'm usually up all night programming and she works during the day. So my question is that:

Is this game worth playing twice? or should I just wait until we both have the time to play it together?

Papercuts

When the one guy was asking questions I was truthful and had Jodie talk about being linked to an entity, he said "guess you're on drugs too" and I went around and saw the baby/channeled stan's wife so it made sense in that context.

But yeah, sounds awkward for your experience.

Well for one, it was her voice coming out. And she also said "It's been four long years" so I guess that proved something.

Banzai

Well for one, it was her voice coming out. And she also said "It's been four long years" so I guess that proved something.

hm i didnt even notice it was her voice, but as i said i was distracted. pretty sure stan told jodie beforehand that it's been four years though.

Cloudy said:
Guess I need to replay that chapter lol

i know ill have to play a lot of chapters again. at the arabian (?) guys party
i made a guard kill himself by jumping over a railing onto the party floor, so i have no idea how the rest of the chapter plays out haha

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Another question about a mission.
On the mission which takes place at bootcamp Jodie is doing sit ups and it says hit R1. I hit it everytime but it never worked. Do I tap, hold or mash?

Top Bottom