• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

krae_man

I failed the QTE escaping the fire (whatever!) and she was crushed under falling debris, the one homeless guy had to come back to drag me out and she just blacked out. I never saw who set the fire or why.

Seems a much better ending to that scene than the full one though.

So a cross beam hits her in the head then? In my version dude straight up skull cracks her with a steel bat while his friends hold her down

Mesoian

So a cross beam hits her in the head then? In my version dude straight up skull cracks her with a steel bat while his friends hold her down

Wow. I failed the prompt in the building too, I only heard about who set the fire when she was getting flashbacks from looking at the pictures of her homeless friends in the hospital.

AkuMifune

Banned

Yeah, the ceiling fell on her when I failed the last slo-mo thing. Then they showed the people she saved outside and one guy went back for her and carried her out, dropped her on the ground. The scene faded to black as firefighters arrived on scene. I thought it was really well done, but didn't realize you could actually escape.

Having her get hit with a bat sounds kind of lame. But yeah, she needed that near death experience I guess. Which was awesome, btw. Love that whole dying section.

Zafir

Got my copy today, played it for about 2 hours. Story seems fine, it's just the baffling choice of swapping between different time points just disjoints it too much. :X

StuBurns

Banned
I really can't get over how great this game looks. Some of the plain environments look rough, but any time there's rain, or snow, or
swirling vortexes into parallel dimensions
it just looks unbelievable.

First game to actually surprise me visually on PS3 since GoW3.

Zafir

I really can't get over how great this game looks. Some of the plain environments look rough, but any time there's rain, or snow, or
swirling vortexes into parallel dimensions
it just looks unbelievable.

First game to actually surprise me visually on PS3 since GoW3.
Yeah. It looks really nice honestly. I'm not sure where the complaints of it looking bad came from.

Ricker

Ok guys,last part of Navajo,I have to know something...

After the incantation when Jodie falls and asks Aiden to help them lure the spirit inside,I wasn'T sure about the Aiden Controls,tried pushing it in,same you use to topple stuff ,then I tried the stretch and come back,etc etc,tried almost everything but it got away...is it possible to push it inside so its gone forever...? also one of the sons screamed near his granma like she was dead but when Jodie rode off on her motorcycle,she was sitting in her wheelchair so I guess that s good hehe...?

krae_man

Ok guys,last part of Navajo,I have to know something...

After the incantation when Jodie falls and asks Aiden to help them lure the spirit inside,I wasn'T sure about the Aiden Controls,tried pushing it in,same you use to topple stuff ,then I tried the stretch and come back,etc etc,tried almost everything but it got away...is it possible to push it inside so its gone forever...? also one of the sons screamed near his granma like she was dead but when Jodie rode off on her motorcycle,she was sitting in her wheelchair so I guess that s good hehe...?

I managed to send the spirit back and both grandma and Paul got HHH'ed in my play through. I never thought to go in the house and revive him. The kids took me to their tribes sacred burial ground. I also climbed in a cave and found a drawing or someone who also had a spirit connected to them like Jodie and Aiden. But yes when I drove off both the grandmother and Paul were with them. They were only on screen for a split second so I didn't get a good look at them but they didn't look like spirits so I was a bit confused

As for attacking stuff, sometimes you have to put the dots or whatever together, other times you need to stretch them as far apart as possible. I think sometimes it was one way, some times it was the other. The controller rumbles strongly when you do it the right way.

Ricker

I managed to send the spirit back and both grandma and Paul got HHH'ed in my play through. I never thought to go in the house and revive him. The kids took me to their tribes sacred burial ground. I also climbed in a cave and found a drawing or someone who also had a spirit connected to them like Jodie and Aiden. But yes when I drove off both the grandmother and Paul were with them. They were only on screen for a split second so I didn't get a good look at them but they didn't look like spirits so I was a bit confused

As for attacking stuff, sometimes you have to put the dots or whatever together, other times you need to stretch them as far apart as possible. I think sometimes it was one way, some times it was the other. The controller rumbles strongly when you do it the right way.

Ok thanks,didn't know about the vibration thing so this might help me if there's more stuff like that...I will leave it at that then,or I might restart that chapter...I only restarted once,it was in the shortest chapter,glad I did also hehe,so if I do restart Navajo it will restart the whole thing or at my last checkpoint in the chapter...?

Just finished it. Not sure how I feel about this game. There were many parts where actually playing it just wasn't very fun. QTE's are never really fun to begin with, but then most of the time I felt like it didn't even matter if I made it or not. It was pushing buttons just for the purpose of pushing buttons.

But I did like the story, the acting, all of that. I even liked how it was out of order - that worked for me. The end was pretty good as were the branching story-lines.

I don't know. It wasn't overly fun, but I'm glad I played it, and I'm glad games like this exist and push some boundaries.

StuBurns

Banned
So now that most people have played it, are the graphics/performances at least on par with TLOU?
Artistically, TLoU is better, no question, but in terms of the technical facility of the graphics, Beyond is much stronger, and yes, it runs better.

It's a much less demanding game in terms of the simulation though, so I'm not saying it's a bigger technical achievement or anything.

This game is amazing. I feel bad for my disbelief. Story is interesting, acting is superb, soundtrack is great, graphics are unbelievable.
Some chapters are really short though.
I'm currently in
Navajo
How much playtime do I have left?

SRTtoZ

The more I play it the more its staring to come together and become a masterpiece. At first I liked it, but questioned the disconnected story, and now its making sense and coming together. I cant wait to finish it to start a second play-through since ive noticed certain actions have affected the outcome already...

I beat Heavy Rain about 5+ times, and I see myself doing the same thing here...

Keep em coming David, keep em coming.

Oh also, as a PC gamer who is a bit spoiled with pretty graphics, these faces and animations are the best in the industry. Its really quite spectacular considering the hardware its running on. Bravo.

Ce-Lin

The more I play it the more its staring to come together and become a masterpiece.

same here, on my 3rd playthrough, neither me or my gf can't seem to stop playing this as was the case with Heavy Rain, but I'm afraid to say considering the negative feedback and reviews, some people can bore you to death with infinite replies full of walls of text to try and convince you that you're wrong and the game is pure trash, I don't have time for that.

and now excuse me, I have an amazing lady and some amazing game waiting... : )

Just beat it!

FINAL THOUGHTS:

David Cage's best and most emotional story by far. Everything makes sense to me if you are able to accept that supernatural things just exist. Didn't find any twist or character motivation unbelievable and I don't think there is any big plot hole like HR had. The ending was very surprising. Cried at the epilogue, because I was pretty satisfied.
One of the hardest choices I ever had to make in a game. I chose to live and reunite with Stan and his group (my favourite characters in the game by far). Final scene was a little bit ambiguous and makes the ending not perfectly happy, but I don't mind.

That being said, it is definitely not his best game. Voice acting, graphics and sound give HR a run for its money and the music is easily on-par. Way less technical problems too. The gameplay is too simplistic at times, but I think it fitted the story well. The problem here is I think that this particular story kind of demanded this type of gameplay. So while it is okay in my book, the combination is not nearly as effective as the one in HR was (or even Fahrenheit). The story is good, but not good enough to sacrifice the things HR did well. Way less tension and you never feel as involved. One action scene in particular should have been cut from the game completely. It looks awesome, but the lack of tension really became apparent in that one.

I'm torn about the non-linear storytelling. They did some things right with it and some very wrong. Should have spend more time in the planning phase on that one. Never do that again please (he probably won't).

Overall I'm pretty satisfied. Especially since Beyond shows to me that Cage improved his writing at least by a bit. I'm now looking forward to his first team written PS4 project and hope that he combines the good things about Beyond (story related stuff) with the ones in HR (gameplay, choices, tension). I feel he is very close to creating his masterpiece. Beyond is not it, but I think it is pretty good. If anything it proves that Quantic Dream is one of the most talented teams in the world. Literally everything related to production screams perfection. I hope Sony gives them a similar budget for their PS4 game.

When it comes to scoring I think every score between 5-9 can be justified. IMO the 10 and 4 scores are bullshit though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not sure how far I am at the
Old Friends
chapter but I like where the story is heading.
I'm interested to see what happens with Jodie's mom. One thing is I'm still wondering about is Nathan, I feel like him moving up and involvement with the rift stuff is related to his wife/daughter dying. I hope he doesn't get spun into some super bad guy.

Received my copy today. I don't know when I'll have a chance to play it; to be honest following the less-than-stellar reviews I'm half tempted to send it back to Tesco and maybe pick it up down the line.

This game is amazing. I feel bad for my disbelief. Story is interesting, acting is superb, soundtrack is great, graphics are unbelievable.
I'm currently in
Navajo

Your about half way! Enjoy the game. Even though its been two days since I've beaten the game, I can't stop thinking about it. I'll be replaying Heavy Rain and Indingo Prophecy soon enough.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Sorry if this was asked before, but to those who finished the game:
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but was it ever explained why Aiden can only kill some guys? Why can't he kill whoever he wants?

I actually like the way it's jumping around timelines. I also like the loading screen diagram showing where in the timeline the next chapter is. The idea of slowly piecing together Jodie's life (for me) is compelling.

Sorry if this was asked before, but to those who finished the game:
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but was it ever explained why Aiden can only kill some guys? Why can't he kill whoever he wants?
It depends on the personality/character of the person and in which mental state he is in.

AkuMifune

Banned
I actually like the way it's jumping around timelines. I also like the loading screen diagram showing where in the timeline the next chapter is. The idea of slowly piecing together Jodie's life (for me) is compelling.

I think I'd like the structure a lot more on a second playthrough, if I ever get to it. The way it moves around it's really hard to keep the emotional momentum scene to scene. For example all that early stuff with her parents would have been better off in a row.

But maybe it would just be too crushing to have to suffer through it all at once like she had to.

Zafir

I think I'd like the structure a lot more on a second playthrough, if I ever get to it. The way it moves around it's really hard to keep the emotional momentum scene to scene. For example all that early stuff with her parents would have been better off in a row.

But maybe it would just be too crushing to have to suffer through it all at once like she had to.
Yeah, this.

Maybe I'll change my mind as I get further, but yeah.

Zabant

Ryan and Nathan just seemed all over the shop as characters, especially playing it a second time and noticing
that Nathan after the scene where child jodie channels his dead child and wife, shows zero signs of going mad at that place in time and is still a very loving father figure type character. It's only after the CIA take her away several YEARS later he seems to go mad with sadness off screen and comes up with the bringing them back idea. The inclusion of wife and child dying scene right before the end chapter of the game seem like a cop out and excuse to write him as the villain for the climax, it is especially jarring as it happens during Jodie's childhood after I had already seen her grow up and seen no signs of insanity from him.

As for Ryan
I find he was written to two extremes, his introduction where he is an asshole with no symapthy for the awful shacked up life jodie has had to live, viewing her as a "moping adolescent child" to then in the next chapter hitting on her and asking her to a fancy dinner then in the next chapter TRICKING HER INTO COMMITTING AN ATROCITY completely at odds and unbelievable. It's a further head-scratching moment later on where he's telling her he loves her out of the fucking blue.

Look, I've done some mean things to the people I love, but lying to them about the political situation in another country (something I cannot believe she didn't look into before arriving) in order to instigate the continuation of a genocide and the death of a childs father IS KIND OF A DEAL BREAKER.

Mesoian

I'm currently in
Navajo

About 4 hours. The desert was the halfway point for me. It's also when the story starts getting a little silly.

Ryan and Nathan just seemed all over the shop as characters, especially playing it a second time and noticing
that Nathan after the scene where child jodie channels his dead child and wife, shows zero signs of going mad at that place in time and is still a very loving father figure type character. It's only after the CIA take her away several YEARS later he seems to go mad with sadness off screen and comes up with the bringing them back idea. The inclusion of wife and child dying scene right before the end chapter of the game seem like a cop out and excuse to write him as the villain for the climax, it is especially jarring as it happens during Jodie's childhood after I had already seen her grow up and seen no signs of insanity from him.

As for Ryan
I find he was written to two extremes, his introduction where he is an asshole with no symapthy for the awful shacked up life jodie has had to live, viewing her as a "moping adolescent child" to then in the next chapter hitting on her and asking her to a fancy dinner then in the next chapter TRICKING HER INTO COMMITTING AN ATROCITY completely at odds and unbelievable. It's a further head-scratching moment later on where he's telling her he loves her out of the fucking blue.

Look, I've done some mean things to the people I love, but lying to them about the political situation in another country (something I cannot believe she didn't look into before arriving) in order to instigate the continuation of a genocide and the death of a childs father IS KIND OF A DEAL BREAKER.

I don't think Nathan was ever insane after his wife and daughter died. He just wanted to find a way to see and talk to them. It's the moment when he hears their voices that he is causing them to suffer and all his work was basically worthless that he goes insane and loses common sense.

Zabant

I don't think Nathan was ever insane after his wife and daughter died. He just wanted to find a way to see and talk to them. It's the moment when he hears their voices that he is causing them to suffer and all his work was basically worthless that he goes insane and loses common sense.

I got a feeling the moment I was in his new office that he had gone slightly mad. I mean come on, that whole trapping his wife and child in spirit form so he could see them? Dude had lost it, the revelation they were in pain only tipped him over the edge

Mesoian

As for Ryan

The characterization between Ryan and Nathan is pretty terrible towards the end.
During my playthrough, I kept making the joke that Willam DeFoe always reminds me of The green goblin for obvious reasons, but for most of the game, he did a pretty good job holding up the roll of Nathan. Until the end, where he almost inexplicably turns into Norman Osborne and unleashes a doomsday weapon which, in my game, was successful. It gets played off because the scene directly before this explains that Nathan has been silently suffering and really does pine for his wife and daughter, and the disjointed story allows for this connection to be made in an amount of time that allows the player to sort of put the pieces together, but that doesn't stop it from being REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY DUMB.

As for Ryan, one of the other biggest thing that bugged me about the game was the fact that it never tells you when things are taking place, which doesn't allow you to put ages on people.
So when you get to the dinner date where Jodie invites Ryan, the person who stole her away from her (basically) second foster family, forced her into the military and berated her during training even when successful, for her to be suddenly interested in him was ludicrus. However, at that point, you can pretty much play Ryan off as being a Douchebag (which he is) and reject him at every waking turn. Paul's oldest is a much better fit for Jodie anyway.

It's funny, during the stream last night, everyone in the chat was just repeating
"Fuck Ryan" over an over everytime he opens his mouth. He is fucking deplorable, which is somewhat of a problem, because I think David Cage actually thought he was an upstanding guy (except for the treason, which wasn't REALLY his fault, but he was still a douchebag about it.)

About 4 hours. The desert was the halfway point for me. It's also when the story starts getting a little silly.

Half way? wow, Heavy Rain was like 6-7 hours if I remember correctly.
I really like the story so far. The first 3-4 hours are somewhat confusing but now it starts to get interesting.

BTW: chapter 8 spoiler I think:
Homeless (is it called "homeless" in english?). Jimmy died in the fire because I wanted to rescue the baby first and...I don't like him lol. Is it possible to let everyone die/ rescue everyone?

Ok, finished the game...
Here are some short thoughts:

Regarding the story. I was, at first, pleasantly surprised by how it unfolded, and the unchronological narration did not bother me at all as it worked to introduce you either to new “gameplay” mechanics or new story elements.
I was also accepting all the supernatural things, all the clichés… but then the Navajo chapter invited itself to the party… shit. This is where I started to laugh. Easily the worst chapter, followed closely by the one in the republic of kanzikastastan (which is probably China), and the one in Africa.
From there everything, on top of being cliché, started to be corny, cheesy, silly… Out of curiosity, I wonder what kind of movies David Cage likes. Does he mention it in any interview?
As for the gameplay, well, it lacks any interesting interactivity. I grew tired of opening doors and turning left and right in my bed before holding “X” to close my eyes. By the end of the game, I was playing it like I would be playing a movie in fast forward, just pressing the buttons to advance and finish the story. It also didn’t feel like my choices had any impact on the overall structure of the plot. It felt like the interactivity is an artifice that gives you pseudo choices but it the end Cage just wants you to watch his “movie”.

Overall, and paradoxically, I enjoyed playing the game.

This game is a paradox which is, in a way, what makes it interesting.

Sorry if it's a little confused but it's late..

Zabant

I think David Cage actually thought he was an upstanding guy

I see a few reasons if this is the case, either he's been through multiple iterations where he was a nicer guy before and david cage has that image of ryan conflicting with what we got, he's too close to the project and cant see it or that he's simply deluded. I for one believe your actions speak for you and I could never forgive the shit he did. I'm sure many dictators thought they were upstanding guys also.

Zabant

Homeless (is it called "homeless" in english?). Jimmy died in the fire because I wanted to rescue the baby first and...I don't like him lol. Is it possible to let everyone die/ rescue everyone?

I saved everyone.
Was it because
he was a drug addict?
If so you're a bad person :p.
I cant imagine what it would be like to be in a situation like that, where your mind would be, turning to drugs and booze might be the only slight happiness you could have in life.

Ricker

Half way? wow, Heavy Rain was like 6-7 hours if I remember correctly.
I really like the story so far. The first 3-4 hours are somewhat confusing but now it starts to get interesting.

Yes it's possible to rescue all of them,not sure about dying..I doubt it.

I saved everyone.
Was it because
he was a drug addict?
If so you're a bad person :p.
I cant imagine what it would be like to be in a situation like that, where your mind would be, turning to drugs and booze might be the only slight happiness you could have in life.

haha, no ^^ I just didn't know what to do in that moment. The
baby cried and Jimmy said he won't jump
so I made a decision :p

Yes it's possible to rescue all of them,not sure about dying..I doubt it.

Ah okay. Maybe you can
leave the house without saving anyone
but yeah, doubtful ;)

Audioboxer

My copy from Amazon didn't arrive, complained, and they've now sent a new copy a new copy via DPD for tomorrow.

Amazon CS is good.

The way I see it, knowing was sort of things she goes through later in life enhances the scenes where Jodie is a child.

I'm about half way through, and while I'm really enjoying it, I liked Heavy Rain way better.

I feel like most of my choices don't really matter and I can constantly fail QTEs and still progress just fine.

A lot of times I also feel like I'm just walking around looking for things to interact with until the game tells me its tike to move on. At least in HR you had a purpose most of the time.

It is certainly not a 4 out of 10 game though. Its actually really engaging, but I guess I was hoping for more Heavy Rain and less visual novel.

I'm about half way through, and while I'm really enjoying it, I liked Heavy Rain way better.

I feel like most of my choices don't really matter and I can constantly fail QTEs and still progress just fine.

A lot of times I also feel like I'm just walking around looking for things to interact with until the game tells me its tike to move on. At least in HR you had a purpose most of the time.

It is certainly not a 4 out of 10 game though. Its actually really engaging, but I guess I was hoping for more Heavy Rain and less visual novel.

I'm pretty sure many of them do matter. It's just not that obvious (like in Heavy Rain for example)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Something really bugged me a lot in the
birthday party
chapter. Willem Dafoe totally just drives off without his seat belt on.

Click it or ticket, dude. You're supposed to be a role model.

Top Bottom