• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Andrew.

Banned
So far all this game has done for me is make me really want a sequel to Geist.

Character animations can be pretty robotic sometimes with dead fluidity which is a big contrast to the facial details and animations (which are still not as good as TLOU). However, the facial skin of the characters is pretty second to none.

QTEs, if you want to designate them as that, seem fewer and far between than HR and IP. They're 10x simpler as well. It's definitely the least interactive Quantic Dream movie to date.

All in all so far it's a 7. Looks and sounds nice, but its typical Cage fluff and melodrama.

Also Dafoes acting is no stretch whatsoever. They could've used anyone for this role. Page is just being Page. I don't see why anyone would be floored by her performance.

I gave up right after The Mission. I kept going through all the pointless bullshit in hoping a good section would eventually come, because hey, didnt do that training level for nothing right? Section was a let down, and back into bs right after it.

Such a shame too, because I really liked Heavy Rain.
You are pretty much done. Better just finish now and see the cool ending.

Going to start this tonight with the girlfriend! Can you control either character on the smartphone in duo mode, or does Jodie have to be controlled using the controller?
You can use any combination of devices.

Also Dafoes acting is no stretch whatsoever. They could've used anyone for this role. Page is just being Page. I don't see why anyone should be floored by her performance.
Don't worry, he has his 10 seconds in the game. Reason enough to hire him. I think Page's performance is just amazing, how she moves differently at each age, changes her voice slightly and the delivery and expressions are dead on. Amazing achievement in terms of mo-cap acting. I think from all the films I watched with her this is her best performance yet.

Her acting alone made me tear up at least 2 times, so yeah I was sold by her performance.

LiK

Finished it this morning. Pretty awesome experience with some fun missions. Ellen Page was amazing in it. Great acting all around. I really cared about Jodie a lot during the game.

Man, the graphics were gorgeous. Several parts made my jaw drop. Thought it was FMV or prerendered CGI until I was playing it. They managed to squeeze a lot out of the PS3. Can't imagine what their PS4 games will look like without old tech.

Also big shout out to the sound dept. The surround is awesome and the ambient noises made even the quiet scenes very atmospheric.

Only encountered one freeze and there are some performance issues but nothing too bad. I can feel the PS3 working hard when the game was on.

Dex815

you cant see how this got sevens? really. ive been playing hours and i have no idea what the actual plot/story is. its like your just plahing random scenes. like someone hitchapterselectand played a scene with no context. its really getting me down.

As I said, in the beginning this way of presenting the story is a bit weird, but when you advance some chapters you can really start to connect the events in your head and it feels nice. Don't judge the book by it's cover, give it some time and soon you can shake off that feeling of "why am I doing this in this chapter? context please".

If after playing chapters like Homeless or The Mission, the people keeps complaining about the game because of the controls or the way the story is shown, it must be because they don't have blood in their veins... :/

By the way, am I the only one who remembered MGS4 during The Mission? The environment, the stealth action... also the animations remind me a lot to the MGS5 demos. As I read before, I though that the gameplay mechanics and controls would be a let down for that chapter, but it felt surprisingly nice.

amazing. Do you know if you can switch devices throughout the game? ie. playing as Jodie with DS3 in the beginning, then next session using a phone to control her?
Yeah, you just have to quit to the main menu in order to change it. But the game autosaves a lot, so it should be fine.

LiK

As I said, in the beginning this way of presenting the story is a bit weird, but when you advance some chapters you can really start to connect the events in your head and it feels nice. Don't judge the book by it's cover, give it some time and soon you can shake off that feeling of "why am I doing this in this chapter? context please".

People are confused with the story? it's brain-dead simple. They explain everything. The way they present the story timeframes out of order made it much more interesting than if they did it normal. I thought it was great. It's the lil moments between Jodie and others that made it shine for me.

Also, didn't have any issues with whatever missions they gave me. People complaining are probably fighting the controls instead of going along with how they were introduced.

Dex815

People are confused with the story? it's brain-dead simple. They explain everything. The way they present the story timeframes out of order made it much more interesting than if they did it normal. I thought it was great. It's the lil moments between Jodie and others that made it shine for me.

Also, didn't have any issues with whatever missions they gave me. People are fighting the controls instead of going along with how they were introduced.

Exactly that's my point. I guess those people talk about the first hour of the game. I don't understand why anyone would judge a title of 10-12 hours, which is story heavy, just for the first contact. If they keep complaining it after more hours... as you said, the story is simple and presented in a cool and innovator way, what's the problem to not be able to follow it?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Exactly that's my point. I guess those people talk about the first hour of the game. I don't understand why anyone would judge a title of 10-12 hours, which is story heavy, just for the first contact. If they keep complaining it after more hours... as you said, the story is simple and presented in a cool and innovator way, what's the problem to not be able to follow it?

If it is story heavy, what is the story? I am not trying to be arsey here, just trying to spark the idea of a stronger plot would have worked better. There is no Links in each scene to another scene, If this happens all at the very end of the game then thats good...I guess?? I mean. I could tell you the plot of heavy rain in a sentence.

This I have no idea apart from girl has ghost powers and you do scenes ranging from every day life to action. I will come back when I have finished it, I'm sure it could make sense, I would just like something to grip me, something I can follow as a driving plot point.

There must be a focus?? It cant be just her life. Like random sections. What is the driving motivator. What is the point??

The game is beautiful and I am feeling an array of emotions from scene to scene, but it feels like a tech demo so far.

LiK

If it is story heavy, what is the story? I am not trying to be arsey here, just trying to spark the idea of a stronger plot would have worked better. There is no Links in each scene to another scene, If this happens all at the very end of the game then thats good...I guess?? I mean. I could tell you the plot of heavy rain in a sentence.

This I have no idea apart from girl has ghost powers and you do scenes ranging from every day life to action. I will come back when I have finished it, I'm sure it could make sense, I would just like something to grip me, something I can follow as a driving plot point.

There must be a focus?? It cant be just her life. Like random sections. What is the driving motivator. What is the point??

The game is beautiful and I am feeling an array of emotions from scene to scene, but it feels like a tech demo so far.

just keep playing. :)

Also, didn't have any issues with whatever missions they gave me. People complaining are probably fighting the controls instead of going along with how they were introduced.
People want a stronger main narrative tying everything together apparently. It really comes down to taste if you appreciate playing vignettes of a life for 8 hours or not.

There is a story yes. It is actually well done IMO, but the focus of the game clearly lies on Jodie. The point is indeed to play her life. Jodie = Story. If you don't enjoy Jodie, you probably won't enjoy the game. This was pretty much said when the game was announced, that the story is mostly about playing a life.

The menu font is the same as The Last of Us.
OH SNAP!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
THE. GRAPHICS.

The (mid game location title spoiler)
Navajo chapter is absolutely unreal. Beautiful and well done. Cage at his finest. And OMG at Jay's model. It's SO LIFELIKE.

LiK

THE. GRAPHICS.

The (mid game location title spoiler)
Navajo chapter is absolutely unreal. Beautiful and well done. Cage at his finest. And OMG at Jay's model. It's SO LIFELIKE.

there's a level later with models that look unbelievably amazing. looked next-gen.

Just finished it.
Great experience overall, the game really comes together in the second half.
I got one of the better endings I believe ->
'I'm still here' written in the sand
I'm quite conflicted, if I were to score it. I really love Jodie and the dramatic attention to detail and animation/music and general presentation is pretty much unmatched in the industry, but the actual game design and linearity is a huge fault.
The game felt considerably more restrictive than Heavy Rain did, I feel like Cage has gone backwards in this regard. Most of the chapter design is incredibly lazy and serves only to move the plot forward, such as having all exploration pretty much walking in a straight line to the next point of interest, and the 'free' movement of Aiden actually being extremely limited to the immediate area (some times the same room as Jodie.)
At times it really did feel like I was just moving from one set piece to another, and I hate when games do that (I'm looking at you, Uncharted)
But then, reverting back to my first comments, the game is a pretty amazing thing to experience, not for the gameplay, but for all of those crazy set pieces and locales and the great acting. I think given that there is apparently replayability in different endings, and yes, albeit pretty slim, but there is a few things to do in each chapter if you have the patience to replay them, then I'd say it was worth buying.
My rating right now is probably a 7/10, and will probably go up once I see some different endings. I should praise Cage for what he set out to do though, emotionally it dwarfs Heavy Rain, and I really connected with Jodie more than pretty much any videogame character - largely thanks to Page's acting.
Still day one for whatever QD does next, I just hope they find a way to balance cinematic and non-linear.

LiK

Just finished it.
Great experience overall, the game really comes together in the second half.
I got one of the better endings I believe ->
'I'm still here' written in the sand
I'm quite conflicted, if I were to score it. I really love Jodie and the dramatic attention to detail and animation/music and general presentation is pretty much unmatched in the industry, but the actual game design and linearity is a huge fault.
The game felt considerably more restrictive than Heavy Rain did, I feel like Cage has gone backwards in this regard. Most of the chapter design is incredibly lazy and serves only to move the plot forward, such as having all exploration pretty much walking in a straight line to the next point of interest, and the 'free' movement of Aiden actually being extremely limited to the immediate area (some times the same room as Jodie.)
At times it really did feel like I was just moving from one set piece to another, and I hate when games do that (I'm looking at you, Uncharted)
But then, reverting back to my first comments, the game is a pretty amazing thing to experience, not for the gameplay, but for all of those crazy set pieces and locales and the great acting. I think given that there is apparently replayability in different endings, and yes, albeit pretty slim, but there is a few things to do in each chapter if you have the patience to replay them, then I'd say it was worth buying.
My rating right now is probably a 7/10, and will probably go up once I see some different endings.
Still day one for whatever QD does next, I just hope they find a way to balance cinematic and non-linear.

something tells me they'll be able to really improve their gameplay and level designs in next-gen. can't believe what they were able to do on the PS3.

Sorian

Banned
it was a very cool story. felt self-contained.

Hammy as all hell but I really don't get the complaints that some have about how that particular chapter killed the game's pacing. Felt refreshing and really let the player loose for once.

I'm a big fan of 'The Dinner' as well.
Some people said it was goofy, and it kinda was, but Page's acting totally made it, and I think the scene was very much needed in an otherwise relentlessly depressing game.

Sorian

Banned
Some people said it was goofy, and it kinda was, but Page's acting totally made it, and I think the scene was very much needed in an otherwise relentlessly depressing game.

I told myself that I would play the game with Jodie being a good person and Aiden being a complete prick and evil to everyone except when it came to Jodie's life. I felt like a dick during that chapter :p

Y2Kev

It's Super Heavy Rainy.
I love just walking around and picking up garbage and doing small things. And the juxtaposition between the previous scene-- where the player is shown that Ryan is a dickbag-- and the way you get control as Aiden in the next scene is really very smart.

Cage should make a game purely about like flipping houses.

Sorian

Banned
It's Super Heavy Rainy.
I love just walking around and picking up garbage and doing small things. And the juxtaposition between the previous scene-- where the player is shown that Ryan is a dickbag-- and the way you get control as Aiden in the next scene is really very smart.

Cage should make a game purely about like flipping houses.

Cooking Mama

Written and Directed by David Cage

Y2Kev

I told myself that I would play the game with Jodie being a good person and Aiden being a complete prick and evil to everyone except when it came to Jodie's life. I felt like a dick during that chapter :p

Dick. Aiden should let Jodie have a good time. But he should make sure she
uses protection

Sorian

Banned
Dick. Aiden should let Jodie have a good time. But he should make sure she
uses protection

Heh, I could have appreciated a little scene where you have to smack open one of the drawers and then
toss one of the condoms at them

Really wasn't enjoying the game at first, but it starts to hit its stride midway through. The last few chapters I've played have been pretty great. The story still hasn't come together into something compelling (super-nonlinear was a stupid and arbitrary decision for this particular story), but it's put together some great individual scenes. Pretty sure I'm getting close to the end now.

QD is really onto something, they just need to hire a decent writer someday.

Cloudy

Banned
QD is really onto something, they just need to hire a decent writer someday.

The writing is fine. What they need to do is ditch QTEs and have real control in big action scenes. I felt so nerfed in the Mission chapter

Thinking about it, I'd probably change my score up to an 8.
I think the last few parts of the game are too good for anything lower, and there are just lots of memorable parts of the story for me.
So frustrating though, the game could have been up there with the best of the generation if it were just less linear. Story-wise though, it's up there.

I was very happy wih the abruptness of Jodie's
CIA training

I wonder if that was a conscious decision because that sequence is already so played out in films

It has an impressive sense of energy and movement. The controller mechanics are taught in the flow of quick, interesting things task, and then here's your training mission, done. It's a well directed montage of activites.

Close to the end? Chapter called
Old Friends
. Funny thing I thought upon meeting a certain character just now, guess it's best to just label this whole-game spoilers.
"Jodie, great to see you again. Disregard the fact that I've been wearing white the whole game and I'm now wearing black."

Close to the end? Chapter called
Old Friends
. Funny thing I thought upon meeting a certain character just now, guess it's best to just label this whole-game spoilers.
"Jodie, great to see you again. Disregard the fact that I've been wearing white the whole game and I'm now wearing black."

Not too far off

cormack12

Gold Member
Is anyone having any technical issues with this game? Examples:

[Platform: 12GB Super Slim PS3]
On a lot of cinematic clips every now and again I get a half second stutter
The drive is constantly spinning (might just hear it because it's a super slim though)
Some scenes instead of skipping seem to judder and miss out a half second of speech/video

It's really starting to annoy though. The console is fine itself, almost new and other games all run perfectly. This is the steelbook EU edition if it makes a difference.

LiK

Hammy as all hell but I really don't get the complaints that some have about how that particular chapter killed the game's pacing. Felt refreshing and really let the player loose for once.

i really liked the ham and cheese in this game. i think some people hate it but hell, i'm tired of games trying to be witty and ironic these days.

Is anyone having any technical issues with this game? Examples:

[Platform: 12GB Super Slim PS3]
On a lot of cinematic clips every now and again I get a half second stutter
The drive is constantly spinning (might just hear it because it's a super slim though)
Some scenes instead of skipping seem to judder and miss out a half second of speech/video

It's really starting to annoy though. The console is fine itself, almost new and other games all run perfectly. This is the steelbook EU edition if it makes a difference.

Very rarely I had a slight stutter of like a second or so.
My drive on the super slim was ridiculously loud for most of the game, had to turn up the volume it was so annoying.
Figured the game is just pushing the system a whole lot.

Top Bottom