• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Darknight

Just beat the game a few mins ago. This game is tight and was worth it.

Some scenes are confusing at first but it all makes sense (a little more lol) near the end. Cant believe the end credits literally spoils one possible ending scene of the many out there.
I mean I saw it and I was like "who is that", I think its Tuesday's kid along with you called ZOE(?). Based on the F'n spoilerish art work as well. FUCK!

My first playthrough I got Ryan or whatever his name is eye pop by the evil asian dude. Felt bad the rest of the game.

I also thought Cole had died near the end on BLACK SUN. Turns out he was still alive.

I wasnt as lucky with Paul thought since I had no idea you could go in the house and heal him. Woops. This was spoiled by reading here lol.

Near the end I got my confirmation of who controlled Aiden. Im glad as it was difficult to understand who was controlling it at times.

Ok so I would like to replay this game for other trophies and the other endings. Should I just click on "continue" or "new game" from the menu? Any advice for the 2nd and more play throughs?

kazebyaka

Banned
Err.... What is the actual plot of this game? I have been playing a few hours and I have no idea what the actual Story is bar girl with ghost friend does scenes

There's actually no story or conflict, it's a slice-of-life with paranormal stuff in it. Only real stuff happens in the last 30 minutes, everything else is essentially a filler to the story, although it tries to explain Jodie's character.

Been playing this for a few hours now. Really digging this game so far. Always a huge fan of Quantic Dream's work.

For those that have already completed it; how long is this game?
8-12 hours. I looked at everything and needed about 13 hours.

Just beat the game a few mins ago. This game is tight and was worth it.

Some scenes are confusing at first but it all makes sense (a little more lol) near the end. Cant believe the end credits literally spoils one possible ending scene of the many out there.
I mean I saw it and I was like "who is that", I think its Tuesday's kid along with you called ZOE(?). Based on the F'n spoilerish art work as well. FUCK!

Ok so I would like to replay this game for other trophies and the other endings. Should I just click on "continue" or "new game" from the menu? Any advice for the 2nd and more play throughs?
Ending Spoiler:
Yeah it is the Zoey ending. Best ending by far IMO. Cole can die and Ryan as well.

Never click on new game. It deletes your save. Use the chapter menu with no save option.

Bladenic

8-10 hours? Should be enough time for me finish it by 9 tomorrow (Redbox rental).

The faces are insane. Wow. And it's gorgeous. The gala or palace party environment was stunning.

Grisby

It might be linear, but you can still fail getting the ultra shitty ending :D

Ending Spoiler:
Also pick Zoey next time. Best ending IMO.
Right, I had to laugh when
the choice list came up. I just now remembered who Jay was and it's like, "Yeah let me go hang with Zoey/Eliza/Tuesday who I haven't seen in like 6 hours. I wonder what she's up to?"
The faces are insane. Wow. And it's gorgeous. The gala or palace party environment was stunning.
Oh, the graphics get way better.

8-10 hours? Should be enough time for me finish it by 9 tomorrow (Redbox rental).

You haven't seen the particles yet. THE FUCKING PARTICLES!!!

Right, I had to laugh when
the choice list came up. I just now remembered who Jay was and it's like, "Yeah let me go hang with Zoey/Eliza/Tuesday who I haven't seen in like 6 hours. I wonder what she's up to?"

Oh, the graphics get way better.
Which ending did you get btw?
My heart told me Zoey, so I chose that. And man I shed a tear of joy when the door opened and casually clothed Stan stood in front of her completely speechless.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wish I could play it in order, the mix up kinda put me off but the game is fantastic and the graphics! Are they fucking kidding me
PS3 had delivered and delivered, Uncharted 2-3,GOW3 & GOWA,TLOU Heavy Rain and this is the final straw, fucking amazing I can't wait to see what they do on PS4.

ST2K

Hey guys, I was hoping you could tell me about how far along I am in my file. I'm currently at
some underwater military base where Jodie and Ryan are getting the shit beat out of them.
How much further do I have to go? Or how much of the game do I have done, percentage wise?

I ask because while I'm enjoying the game, it feels like it's stretching a bit at this point and I'm hoping I'm nearing the end. The
silly Navajo section
especially seemed to drag the game out and served no particular purpose that I can see.

Hey guys, I was hoping you could tell me about how far along I am in my file. I'm currently at
some underwater military base where Jodie and Ryan are getting the shit beat out of them.
How much further do I have to go? Or how much of the game do I have done, percentage wise?

I ask because while I'm enjoying the game, it feels like it's stretching a bit at this point and I'm hoping I'm nearing the end. The
silly Navajo section
especially seemed to drag the game out and served no particular purpose that I can see.
Pretty much done. Only two more chapters after that. The first one is like 5 minutes long and the other one is the final chapter. About one hour long.

LevityNYC

Banned

silly Navajo section

You are pretty close to the end. Another hour or so after you complete that section.

Spacebar

Just finished the game. As someone who liked Heavy Rain I also really enjoyed this game. At first I was kind of confused by the plot, but it starts to come together halfway through the game.

Beyond Two Souls has its flaws and I'm sure there are plenty of plot and continuity errors. I've gotten to a point in my life where I don't try to dissect every little thing about a story. I just play the game and let the experience come to me. Here are some of my take aways...

Some positives...

• Graphics are amazing
  • Fantastic music (Where is my OST on itunes QT?!!)
  • Controlling Aiden and seeing what you can do
  • Ellen Page is great along with the rest of the cast
  • I ended up really caring about Jodie and some of the other characters
  • The concept of the story was interesting. I'm curious to find out more about the world and if there were more people like Jodie.

Some negatives...

• Some scenes felt forced
  • Ending dragged a little too long
  • Controls are limited
  • When you know you're not going to die if you miss a few inputs it kills the tension in big moments
  • It's fairly easy even on the normal setting
  • Order of the chapters can be confusing at first, but I feel like they did it this way so the player doesn't get bored playing young Jodie for too long. Probably the right call in the end.

I'm glad games like this exist and I commend the effort put into it. I enjoy linear games that focus on story. Big open world games and RPG leveling games tend to take up too much time for me. Then I end up not finishing them. I've read all the hate and love for this game and it just comes down to taste. As someone who has been gaming over 20 years my taste change from time to time.

Great job Quantic Dream! I'm looking forward to the next game.

Amazing game. Two chapters left.
I'm still not sure how I can change the endings (23? wtf?) It totally feels linear and less interactive than Heavy Rain but I really think it's virtually the same, just not that obvious

Grisby

Which ending did you get btw?
My heart told me Zoey, so I chose that. And man I shed a tear of joy when the door opened and casually clothed Stan stood in front of her completely speechless.
I ended up
with Ryan. I figured Jodie deserved some type of happiness. It was a bit silly with them on the beach and I couldn't stop picturing Ryan as some sort of Snake clone since he had the eye patch.

I was satisfied though with it for the most part. Wish there would have been a future apocalypse scene, got teased so much on that.

silly Navajo section
Got one more big push to go after that area. You're pretty close to the end.

Darknight

Hey I got another question for those who beat it:

In the HOMELESS section, after you get to the end of the level, you are in a bed after getting knocked on the head. So there is Jodie laying on a bed and Stan and that drugie guy come to see you but they look different. They have changes their lives for the better Im assuming. So anyways was it implied that Jodie was in a sort of coma for a few years/days? How did those guys get their shit together so quick? I was a little confused as they looked great and the picture of all of them was cool yet confusing.

Also the fact that Tuesday's Kid as a teen (?) make a cameo in one of the endings mean she was out cold for a few years like Im thinking? (I havent seen Tuesday/Zoe ending so im assuming alot of things here)

Wish they acknowledged the age of Jodie in scenes as its a little confusing at times what year/how old she is. Not that it matters alot but still.

I'm glad games like this exist and I commend the effort put into it. I enjoy linear games that focus on story. Big open world games and RPG leveling games tend to take up too much time for me. Then I end up not finishing them. I've read all the hate and love for this game and it just comes down to taste. As someone who has been gaming over 20 years my taste change from time to time.

Great job Quantic Dream! I'm looking forward to the next game.
Yeah. I hate the whole review shit though. 4/10 on the current review scale means broken which this game isn't. Either score like you always do or use the full scale for all games. Not this bullshit.

Amazing game. Two chapters left.
I'm still not sure how I can change the endings (23? wtf?) It totally feels linear and less interactive than Heavy Rain but I really think it's virtually the same, just not that obvious
It's mostly variations, although they depend on earlier decisions and failures. It's not 23 full endings. More like 8. But it is pretty much the same as HR. Heavy Rain has more unique endings, because it has more characters. But apart from that the way it works is the same.
Also enjoy the final chapter. I love it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

In the HOMELESS section, after you get to the end of the level, you are in a bed after getting knocked on the head. So there is Jodie laying on a bed and Stan and that drugie guy come to see you but they look different. They have changes their lives for the better Im assuming. So anyways was it implied that Jodie was in a sort of coma for a few years/days? How did those guys get their shit together so quick? I was a little confused as they looked great and the picture of all of them was cool yet confusing.

Also the fact that Tuesday's Kid as a teen (?) make a cameo in one of the endings mean she was out cold for a few years like Im thinking? (I havent seen Tuesday/Zoe ending so im assuming alot of things here)

Wish they acknowledged the age of Jodie in scenes as its a little confusing at times what year/how old she is. Not that it matters alot but still.

She was in a coma for 3 months there.

The ending with her jumps ahead x years(doesn't say) and Zoey is a few years old atleast. The final scene is way in the future sometime.

I was satisfied though with it for the most part. Wish there would have been a future apocalypse scene, got teased so much on that.
DUDE! Don't tease me like that. Should have totally included a playable dream sequence. Maybe instead of the TV showing you the cutscene. After playing that you would have probably felt like "holy shit, I can't let this happen". And Jodie coming back from the death would have been even more powerful.

She was in a coma for 3 months. You can find a picture of Zoey in the hospital where Tuesday explains that she is 3 months old already. In the Zoey ending she is like 2-3 years old. In the final scene she is a teen, so this is way in the future.

Question about the trophy for having sex with Ryan(would also apply to some others I guess), if I
completed the bar scene and therefore ruined the future sex scene with Ryan
do I have to start the game again to be able to get that trophy?

Question about the trophy for having sex with Ryan(would also apply to some others I guess), if I
completed the bar scene and therefore ruined the future sex scene with Ryan
do I have to start the game again to be able to get that trophy?
No. Use the chapter screen,
select the "Not like other Girls" chapter, use save and then play the game till you have sex with Ryan.

Dawkins' Suite is easily the best song on the OST.

Fucking chills, man.
Yup. Definitely one of my favourites. Have a couple of others though, but most of them aren't in the released OST. Easily Lorne Balfe's best work by far. Beat the game yet?

Darknight

Ok thanx guys for the explanations! I missed that picture frame you are talking about.

Another question.
On the ending scene, Jodie mentions she has died 2-3 times and come back to life. Does this mean anything to us or is it regarding the future stuff that hasnt happened yet that is teased basically? When the Black Sun thing blew up by her turning the switch off, did she die there with the "Life/Beyond" choice? So how exactly can she choose? Her motivation? Her link with Aiden?

I chose life and with Ryan. So please dont tell me anything about the beyond choice yet.

DukeBobby

Yup. Definitely one of my favourites. Have a couple of others though, but most of them aren't in the released OST. Easily Lorne Balfe's best work by far. Beat the game yet?

Nope, not yet. Just started
The Mission
. I should finish it tomorrow, and then I'll post my impressions.

Ok thanx guys for the explanations! I missed that picture frame you are talking about.

Another question.
On the ending scene, Jodie mentions she has died 2-3 times and come back to life. Does this mean anything to us or is it regarding the future stuff that hasnt happened yet that is teased basically? When the Black Sun thing blew up by her turning the switch off, did she die there with the "Life/Beyond" choice? So how exactly can she choose? Her motivation? Her link with Aiden?

I chose life and with Ryan. So please dont tell me anything about the beyond choice yet.

It's written by David Cage, he ain't gotta explain shit

She technically died there yeah and is torn between both worlds. That's why she can choose. So she died twice (Homeless and Black Sun).

It's written by David Cage, he ain't gotta explain shit
Nah, this makes sense in the context of the story. How it happens is obviously space magic, but honestly I wouldn't want any writer try to explain that.

DUDE! Don't tease me like that. Should have totally included a playable dream sequence. Maybe instead of the TV showing you the cutscene. After playing that you would have probably felt like "holy shit, I can't let this happen". And Jodie coming back from the death would have been even more powerful.

She was in a coma for 3 months. You can find a picture of Zoey in the hospital where Tuesday explains that she is 3 months old already. In the Zoey ending she is like 2-3 years old. In the final scene she is a teen, so this is way in the future.

Actually
The nurse who was questioned by the cia agents saids she has been in a coma for several months. Elisa's daughter was three months old when she left that picture there for jodie but more time passed since then.

Darknight

She technically died there yeah and is torn between both worlds. That's why she can choose. So she died twice (Homeless and Black Sun).

Nah, this makes sense in the context of the story. How it happens is obviously space magic, but honestly I wouldn't want any writer try to explain that.

Ok gotcha! Love how I can get some answer up in here that help make sense of things that I missed or didnt understand. Thank you guys, everyone in here is so helpful :)

I appreciate what QD made and I support these experiences. They may not be perfect but they at least exist for us to experience their visions. Makes you think even though it may be something hilariously goofy and out there. Cant waif for their next project.

edit: Also maybe its my bias and love for Ellen Page. I wish she was my wifu.

Actually
The nurse who was questioned by the cia agents saids she has been in a coma for several months. Elisa's daughter was three months old when she left that picture there for jodie but more time passed since then.
Oh wow. Yeah you are right. Didn't think about that.

Quick question guys, does anyone know if the voucher that comes with the special edition is region based? Like, if i order it from a UK store, it will only work on UK accounts, or is it a european code?
Thanks.

Zafir

Quick question guys, does anyone know if the voucher that comes with the special edition is region based? Like, if i order it from a UK store, it will only work on UK accounts, or is it a european code?
Thanks.
It should work. That said, if it doesn't all you have to do is make a UK account, download the DLC, and then you'll be able to use the DLC on your main account.

So my dad was listening to Lost Cause by Beck on Youtube, and I showed him the video of Jodie playing it in game. He didn't believe that it was an actual video game because it looked too real.

Ricker

Just finished it,loved it,pretty awesome story,acting,graphics are superb etc etc...heading in the spoiler thread....took me about 12 hours I guess and only 1 chapter I didn't like as much as the other but it was still ok.

Brannon

Navajo chapter was pure bupkiss, but a good kind of bupkiss, if that makes sense. All in all, except for the jank-ass movement, a satisfying experience.

I only have one question.
Why do the entities attack young jodie and homeless jodie when she was unconscious?
The never really provided an answer as to why

Cloudy

Banned
Question about Navajo.
I failed to trap the entity with Aiden and it got away. I thought Shimishani had died cos Jay yelled her name after that scene but she was there at the end of the chapter
Are there multiple outcomes there?

jwk94

Hold on, what are you guys talking about? The Homeless people visited Jodie in the hospital? I missed that. What choices did you guys make?

Question about Navajo.
I failed to trap the entity with Aiden and it got away. I thought Shimishani had died cos Jay yelled her name after that scene but she was there at the end of the chapter
Nah, those were the spirits of Shamishani and the father. They're both dead.

And when did end game spoiler:
Jodie die?
I don't remember this happening.

EDIT:
oops, thought I posted this in the spoiler thread. Tagged everything that's spoilery. Sorry.

Question about Navajo.

My outcome was different, i sealed it and only one person died

Hold on, what are you guys talking about? The Homeless people visited Jodie in the hospital? I missed that. What choices did you guys make?

Nah, those were the spirits of Shamishani and the father. They're both dead.

And when did Jodie die? I don't remember this happening.

in the hospital room there are flowers and pictures left by those homeless friends jodie had, interact with them and you'll have a psychic flashback

LevityNYC

Banned
Question about Navajo.

I didn't know you could fail that.

What happened at the end of that scene?

2 hours in, loving it. Jodie and Nathan are great, and I'm getting strong Carrie vibes in some instances. Looking forward to finding out whether Aiden is a ghost, a spirit, or a second personality. Fight controls are good in the 2 instances I've used them, although I was regularly getting brainfreezes and pushing the stick away from Jodie's direction

Cloudy

Banned
I didn't know you could fail that.

What happened at the end of that scene?

The 2 guys say they'll continue to deal with it and hope it goes away sometime but
all 4 were there at the end. It makes sense if the other 2 are spirits

So there are consequences to actions. Good to know that

Playing the Dinner chapter right now. Lmao @ Aiden
cockblocking
. This game is fantastic!

jwk94

My outcome was different, i sealed it and only one person died

in the hospital room there are flowers and pictures left by those homeless friends jodie had, interact with them and you'll have a psychic flashback

I had no clue. I wish you could play select part in a chapter. I have almost no desire to play the end again...

Did I fail the Dinner chapter? That ass was not tapped lol

cloudy did the right thing.
thumbs-up.gif

Top Bottom