• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

cormack12

Gold Member
Very rarely I had a slight stutter of like a second or so.
My drive on the super slim was ridiculously loud for most of the game, had to turn up the volume it was so annoying.
Figured the game is just pushing the system a whole lot.

Yeah cheers, figured as much. Might transfer a few cloud saves and try it on another PS3. Just annoying when I've got my room to play it with all cinematic stuff :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Character animations can be pretty robotic sometimes with dead fluidity which is a big contrast to the facial details and animations (which are still not as good as TLOU). However, the facial skin of the characters is pretty second to none.
The best facial expressions moments of TLOU are better than what we have here, I agree, but on average this probably pulls ahead. And also, keep in mind that pretty much all the really impressive character closeup scenes in TLOU are not actually realtime, while they all are here. As for gameplay animations, TLOU is of course better, as it would compared to anything else really, but this is not bad at all either.

Keep also in mind, that QD approach to character expressions results in sorcerer demo on next gen hardware, and that pretty much blows everything else out of the water. They really know what they're doing when it comes to graphics.

Beyond has some of the best 'walking through corridors differently' animations I've seen in any game. I love how Jodie moves differently depending on her age/mood.
In some games I feel like I'm fighting with the animation or it feels unnatural compared to how I'm moving but I didn't get much of those problems with Beyond.
Some of the running through corridors in the last chapter in particular are just insane, it's like playing a CG movie.

I just finished it...

Heavy Rain had the better gameplay and music, but Beyond had the better story and acting.

I felt so attached to the characters and the story was really emotional in it touched me so deeply... something you could only find if D.C games.

Bravo for this amazing GAME and experience, and can't wait to be blown away with their PS4 project.

The industry really need games like this and Heavy Rain... thank god for their existing.

Sorian

Banned
Endgame spoilers;
is there any reason to assume that Aiden knows he is Jodie's twin? I'd guess he never knew, even at the end

I think he knew the entire time (endgame spoilers)
I'm under the impression that Aiden was the special one here, not Jodie, so when he died and didn't want to go, he bound his soul to the closest living thing so he wouldn't have to leave.
Who knows though, I think this is one of those questions that is just left up for interpretation.

Edit: And yes, I know that begs the question of why he didn't tell her anything. Reasons I guess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Beyond has some of the best 'walking through corridors differently' animations I've seen in any game. I love how Jodie moves differently depending on her age/mood.
In some games I feel like I'm fighting with the animation or it feels unnatural compared to how I'm moving but I didn't get much of those problems with Beyond.
Some of the running through corridors in the last chapter in particular are just insane, it's like playing a CG movie.

Her walking animation actually feels just like it did in Inception...the way she kinda heavily swings her arms. I really bought it.

I think QD will put all the pieces together in their next game. I wonder if they will use another big name actor. HR felt more like a traditional adventure game to me-- I felt like you could fail, I felt like you had to look around and solve puzzles. Here I feel like I'm playing a story or making choices in a movie, but I don't feel like I'm at risk of failure or that there's something that would impede my progress.

But, IMO, their cinematography, acting, animation, and writing have come a very long way. This game, at least so far, is not cringey basically all the time like HR was, and obviously Page does a great job with some simple (and sometimes bland) material. This is not like the horribly written and acted Lauren Winter stuff from HR.

My honest suspicion is that because they got Page, they designed a game to "show her off"-- more linear in construction but with a heavy character focus from top to bottom, which meant less contextual dialog, more unique animations, and so on and so forth.

fallingdove

Just started playing through the game. Really enjoying it. Game aside, I think what I am surprised by most is by how uneven the graphics are. There are moments I am absolutely floored by their next gen qualities - other times I am shocked at how shitty the environments or NPCs look. Overall, I think it's one of the best looking games I have played and am even more excited now for next gen if this ends up being around mid tier graphics for the generation.

Her walking animation actually feels just like it did in Inception...the way she kinda heavily swings her arms. I really bought it.

I think QD will put all the pieces together in their next game. I wonder if they will use another big name actor. HR felt more like a traditional adventure game to me-- I felt like you could fail, I felt like you had to look around and solve puzzles. Here I feel like I'm playing a story or making choices in a movie, but I don't feel like I'm at risk of failure or that there's something that would impede my progress.

But, IMO, their cinematography, acting, animation, and writing have come a very long way. This game, at least so far, is not cringey basically all the time like HR was, and obviously Page does a great job with some simple (and sometimes bland) material. This is not like the horribly written and acted Lauren Winter stuff from HR.

My honest suspicion is that because they got Page, they designed a game to "show her off"-- more linear in construction but with a heavy character focus from top to bottom, which meant less contextual dialog, more unique animations, and so on and so forth.

Yeah, I agree on all points.
Beyond is QD and Cage saying 'here is how you create an amazing character (with Jodie') so I really hope with their next game, they take what they've learnt and improved upon since HR, and make an equally compelling world to explore with a lot more depth. As a player, I don't want to just walk from point A to point B, albeit with a very beautiful path linking the two, I want to be able to either do that, or go and explore C, D and E too, if I choose to do so.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Still, what's missing (so far I didn't notice it at least) is any kind of character awareness of her surrounding. If you played TLOU, there's a scene there where Joel is
badly hurt and is fumbling around while walking, grabbing nearby objects, leaning onto tables, etc.
It was crazy contextual, and yet you moved him freely all along. I'm not seeing something like that here.

jwk94

So what was your favorite chapter? Mine was
Homeless
. For some reason, I liked seeing Jodie at her
weakest but still helping people.

amazing. Do you know if you can switch devices throughout the game? ie. playing as Jodie with DS3 in the beginning, then next session using a phone to control her?

Yep, you just have to back out to the main menu and switch game modes.

Also, is anybody else bothered by how selectively protective Aiden can be? One second he's willing to defend her and the next she's getting blindsided by somebody and knocked out.

LiK

Homeless

same, the most emotional chapter, imo. only the young Jodie chapters can match it.

Mr. RHC

So I guess this is a spoiler for an area near the end of the game:

Wow that stealth passage, I really thought I was playing Metal Gear Solid V. So good!

The "Navajo" passage was also very Red Dead Redemption heavy, I loved it!
Game is really impressive when it shows its richness in areas and moods. It changes from being a sitcom, to war drama to childhood story etc.

The Forrest Gump of Gaming, love it!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Homeless

Either
The Condenser
or
Dragon's Hideout
. Both were insanely tense which is what I enjoyed most about the game.

Very rarely I had a slight stutter of like a second or so.
My drive on the super slim was ridiculously loud for most of the game, had to turn up the volume it was so annoying.
Figured the game is just pushing the system a whole lot.

My slim was just as loud. I definitely think this game took a few months off my PS3's lifespan. :p

Slurmer

Banned
Just finished the game. I liked it, but it dragged for a couple long stretches. I couldn't get behind the David cage method of gameplay here like I did with HR...maybe because HR is more grounded in reality and felt like a more unique experience because of that. HR was also my first QD game, so it had novelty going for it.

That said, I appreciate QD and the types of games they make. The voice acting and interactivity here is miles ahead of HR. Obviously, they have made a lot of big strides with Beyond, just not ones that appealed to me personally when it comes to overall enjoyment of a game.

Is there a timer on the save file or anything? Feels like I've gotten well over 10 hours so far.

Wonder how much of a grind it is to get the platinum.

Slurmer

Banned
Is there a timer on the save file or anything? Feels like I've gotten well over 10 hours so far.

Wonder how much of a grind it is to get the platinum.
I platinumed heavy rain and hated every second of it lol. I feel like these games are meant for a single playthrough.

Just finished the game last night. I enjoyed it a lot. I'll definitely play it again, but I want to wait a bit before I go and see the other endings, otherwise I feel that it'll cheapen the accomplishment if I just watch all the others right away. Good game, can't wait for Quantic's next one.

DC1

He shouldn't have been working for a terrorist.

Yeah, never a good thing for such a story heavy game.
Some much error here. Hope ...Really Hope you're joking.
His Father was working for the democratically elected president. The relavation of the truth behind the mission is the turning point of Jodie's life; it's the reason why she went awol.

Bladenic

Just finished The Condenser. HOLY SHIT THIS GAME GOT INTENSE QUICK. Goddamn. I'm a little annoyed I did it in the day time in the living room with lots of noise around. Would have been amazing at night in the quiet. Still great though.

I love that (spoiler for after The Mission chapter)
Jodie just straight up jumps out of the plane when she finds the truth about why she was sent
perfect bailout.gif material

DukeBobby

Kinda gutted I saw pretty much all of Homeless months ago, it would have been way more special for me if I'd gone in fresh.

Yep, I saw it months ago, too.

Still, I loved playing it, and it is my second favourite scene in a Quantic Dream game (the opening of Fahrenheit is still the best).

Mr. RHC

I love that (spoiler for after The Mission chapter)
Jodie just straight up jumps out of the plane when she finds the truth about why she was sent
perfect bailout.gif material

Haha, yeah!
I thought there would be anPress L1 and Analogue Sticks for Aiden moment, but no, unplugged bailout! haha

So did anybody almost cry when
you found out that you killed Salim's father
?

That's the one thing about this game that I found lacking. I don't think anything in it hit me with those feels. And I know I'm not a heartless monsters, as other games have managed it quite effectively.

fallingdove

I agree completely. People often champion Uncharted for it's walking animation(s) but Beyond feels much more natural.

So glad I went on a blackout for this game, short of what I've send in adverts I'd not watched anything. This game was just amazing from start to end. Quite how QD managed such a clean image amazes me. Whilst you're fairly limited in exploration and angles for the camera this IMHO blows TLoU away in terms of graphics.
Storywise I preferred it to Heavy Rain and it certainly seems Cage is learning quickly what makes a good game/story. Simply cannot wait to see what they achieve with the PS4! Sign me up Day 0.

DieH@rd

Banned
I agree completely. People often champion Uncharted for it's walking animation(s) but Beyond feels much more natural.

Uncharted movement animations are real technical marvel, because ND created hundreds/thousands of animations that can be blended on the fly.

Beyond has natural motions, but its really fixed and limited. You cant do much with it, except during crazy running scenes. Those look really awesome.

jwk94

Salim is on the second floor throwing a baseball against a crate. You can spot him before you take out the dude. Jodi make a comment like, "What is he doing here?" but you can't interact with him.

Oh wow, that's cool. I'll have to see if I can find him on my second playthrough. What chapter is this?

Grisby

Oh wow, that's cool. I'll have to see if I can find him on my second playthrough. What chapter is this?
The mission chapter or whatever the one was where you are hunting that guy down. Just before you kill him. Kid is on the second story.

If it means anything, from that point onwards the plot really picks up.

Unfortunately, I think I'm past caring. There have been high points, like the Homeless chapter for instance, but those are usually followed by some horrid chapter like the emo Jodie segment, which just played out in the most predictable manner imaginable. I was groaning so hard at that part.

And I haven't seen this many jammed doors in a video game since Silent Hill 2.

Surprisingly lame credits sequence.

Edit: The sound mixing got pretty spotty. At many points, including the very last line, it was impossible to hear dialogue over the score (5.1 at least).

Top Bottom