• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Jedi2016

Did you end up
killing those dudes in the bar? Think it has something to do with that and the painful memories.
I wasn't even aware there was a different way out of that one.
I have a special hatred for rapists in general, so there was only one possible outcome to that scene, as far as I'm concerned. As soon as the game switched to Aiden, they were fucked.

Protomanx13

Neo Member
Did you end up
killing those dudes in the bar? Think it has something to do with that and the painful memories.

I let the people at the bar go yet I didn't get that scene. Either it has something to do with the birthday party she went to or the fact the people at the bar assaulted her. So, if you avoid going out, maybe it will work

Grisby

I let the people at the bar go yet I didn't get that scene. Either it has something to do with the birthday party she went to or the fact the people at the bar assaulted her. So, if you avoid going out, maybe it will work
HHhhmmm yeah that could be it. Just avoid it all together.
I wasn't even aware there was a different way out of that one.
I have a special hatred for rapists in general, so there was only one possible outcome to that scene, as far as I'm concerned. As soon as the game switched to Aiden, they were fucked.
Oh I agree, at first I just meant to lightly choke the dude but as soon as he was gone it was over. Shotgun behind the counter and there you go.

Keihart

Replaying it now and it hit me. This game should have the chapter system of siren , where replaying differently some of them would open new paths
Damn Cage..

Dead

well not really...yet
I just realized, since there is a chapter select, would it be possible to replay the game in chronological order?

Protomanx13

Neo Member
Replaying it now and it hit me. This game should have the chapter system of siren , where replaying differently some of them would open new paths
Damn Cage..

I agreed since Heavy Rain has so many different path including different ways to die. Though for this game, the production cost would be much higher since they would need Ellen Page and WIllem Dafoe to be in the studio to film multiple scenario

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just realized, since there is a chapter select, would it be possible to replay the game in chronological order?

In theory you could but it doesn't really work. Whenever you jump into a scene it works like the game first did and will go to the next scene it always did, jumping through the timeline again.

You could manually exit after the scene but it wouldn't save what you actually accomplish and it would be a loadfest.

Dead

well not really...yet
In theory you could but it doesn't really work. Whenever you jump into a scene it works like the game first did and will go to the next scene it always did, jumping through the timeline again.

You could manually exit after the scene but it wouldn't save what you actually accomplish and it would be a loadfest.
Thats what I figured it would do. Oh well.

The non-linearity seems to seems to be working out better at the moment though. The flow of the chapters is making sense and im seeing why they are doing what they are doing. I think just the first few chapters flowed a bit awkwardly.

On an other note, I was looking through the unlocked bonus concept art...man I really want there to be an artbook for this game.

Thats what I figured it would do. Oh well.

The non-linearity seems to seems to be working out better at the moment though. The flow of the chapters is making sense and im seeing why they are doing what they are doing. I think just the first few chapters flowed a bit awkwardly.

On an other note, I was looking through the unlocked bonus concept art...man I really want there to be an artbook for this game.

damn forgot all about the bonuses

Well I redboxed the game last night and beat it just in time to return it today. It's got the usual QD/Cage roughness to the narrative, but it was interesting enough for me to finish at least, which is more than I can say for Heavy Rain.

Really stunning looking and sounding, at least. Can't wait to see what these guys do next gen.

Dex815

Just finished it. I don't understand how most of the reviewers give it a 7... this is easily an 8-9.

Incredible graphics, soundtrack , story, animations, interpretation, and decent gameplay (fulfilling it's objective: keep you interacting as fast as possible with the minimal amount of information in the screen), what else do people expect these days from a videogame? I think most of the low scores are complains about the gameplay style... A lot of people needs to learn that a game is not less fun for not having to smash all the buttons of the controller at once. The objective of videogames is to entertain, no matters which way. But hey, a review is just an opinion, each one has it's own... at least I can say I had a blast of fun playing Beyond :)

I think the most incredible thing of the game is that you go through 15 years in the live of the character. In the beginning it was a bit odd that the history wasn't linear, but at the middle of the game you can totally see why is not linear. Your decisions could be very different once that you know what happened in the early life of the character (this makes the first playthrough even more interesting), also the story can totally change by events in the past that you still have not played (even resulting in plot twists). Totally awesome way of presenting the story.

Also the game keeps you in a constant emotional rollercoaster, which really improves over Heavy Rain which is more like a curve.

Awesome videogame to become a classic as Farenheit and Heavy Rain, at least for me.

And as a lot of people have pointed, some scenes looks like you are seeing a freaking real movie thanks to the quality of the facial textures. During those scenes all I could think about was how awesome would it be to see this title in PC/PS4, I can't even imagine how good would it look in 1080p, 60fps and a good AA. I can't wait for the next game of QD... The Dark Sorcerer looks incredible.

SPOILER WARNING:

I created a timeline based on evidence found in the game and how old Jodie is in each chapter. Should be fairly accurate:

Jodie was born around late October 1989.

Timeline:

My Imaginary Friend : December 1997
The Experiment : March 1998
Hauntings : 1998

The Party : Summer 2004
Like other Girls : 1st July 2006
The Condenser : 2006
Welcome to the CIA : 2007

The Embassy : 2010
The Dinner : 2011
The Mission : 2012
Hunted : 29th October 2012
Homeless : December 2012
Navajo : 2013
Old Friends - Black Sun : Fall 2013

Jodie (Age):

My Imaginary Friend : 8
The Experiment : 8
Hauntings : 8-9

The Party : 14
Like other Girls : 16
The Condenser : 16 (almost 17)
Welcome to the CIA : 17

The Embassy : 20
The Dinner : 21
The Mission : 22
Hunted : 23
Homeless : 23
Navajo : 23
Old Friends - Black Sun : 23

Nathan (Age):

First Interview : 40
Black Sun : 55

Ghazi

So there was a way to save
Paul
?
I thought about going in and checking on him and seeing if I could heal him but I didn't, fuck.

This game is awesome though, when Black Friday comes around I need to actually get me a copy of this and TLOU in the "Ellen Page Bundle" instead of how I redboxed them. I feel guilty for buying stuff like CoD and Dead Space 3 and Halo 4 on launch day, but not these games, which I support more.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just finished it. This game, man.
ibfvfoW2PY7nFS.png

Can't believe how much I ended up enjoying this. Jodie Holmes has to be one of my favorite video game characters ever.

Yeah I did. Wow I complained about the lack of consequences earlier but I may have to take that back
Surprised me too. You can miss the entire bar chapter or go and leave early before they attack you. In both cases you will get the chance to sleep with Ryan.

The Mission
was a surprisingly enjoyable chapter. I thought I was going to hate it.
Told ya :D

So there was a way to save
Paul
?
I thought about going in and checking on him and seeing if I could heal him but I didn't, fuck.
Yeah you can save him. I did.

QD has amazing concept artists. There is a lot of beautiful stuff in there. Asian CE has an art book though :/

I only have one question.
Why do the entities attack young jodie and homeless jodie when she was unconscious?
The never really provided an answer as to why
Probably because of her connection to Aiden. The entities are likely attracted by him. He learned how to fight them though, so they only become a problem when she is weak.

I was very happy wih the abruptness of Jodie's
CIA training

I wonder if that was a conscious decision because that sequence is already so played out in films

Ishida

Banned
So far the game has frozen on me 3 times. One during the
supermarket theft for the baby
, the second during the
african kid discovering his father's corpse
, and the third when
driving the submarine towards the dragon base.

Thank God this game has checkpoints up the ass.

Right now I'm at the point when the game almost goes full
Evangelion on your ass (Nathan deactivating the containment field)

LOVING it so far! The story went fucking apeshit, but without reaching levels of Indigo Prophecy insanity.

Cloudy

Banned
The graphics in this game are even better than TLoU. Why do we need next gen again?

Obviously I know the game isn't as complicated as TLoU or coming next gen titles lol

TripleSun

So far the game has frozen on me 3 times. One during the
supermarket theft for the baby
, the second during the
african kid discovering his father's corpse
, and the third when
driving the submarine towards the dragon base.

Thank God this game has checkpoints up the ass.

Right now I'm at the point when the game almost goes full
Evangelion on your ass (Nathan deactivating the containment field)

LOVING it so far! The story went fucking apeshit, but without reaching levels of Indigo Prophecy insanity.

I'm lucky the game only froze once for me. Same spot as you got hit, though.
When the kid found his dead father on the ground
Hah, funny.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The graphics in this game are even better than TLoU. Why do we need next gen again?

Obviously I know the game isn't as complicated as TLoU or coming next gen titles lol

I thought the visuals were up and down, ranging from "ok" to borderline next gen in certain scenes. Ellen Page's character model in particular is way beyond everyone else in the game.

Cloudy

Banned
I think a big part of why it looks next gen are the amazing character models. The only thing that currently comes close is TLoU.

How do you unlock the bonus material? Also, is there any way to change the brightness settings in the game? I've failed at least two QTE's because the game is dark as fuck sometimes, LOL.

I agree that this game looks next-gen sometimes. I don't know how they did it. Some of the textures on the characters look as good as Witcher 2 on PC on ultra settings. Maybe because it's more scene directed or something? The aliasing could use a little work, but damn the game looks really good.

Telaso

Banned
I gave up right after The Mission. I kept going through all the pointless bullshit in hoping a good section would eventually come, because hey, didnt do that training level for nothing right? Section was a let down, and back into bs right after it.

Such a shame too, because I really liked Heavy Rain.

I agree that this game looks next-gen sometimes. I don't know how they did it. Some of the textures on the characters look as good as Witcher 2 on PC on ultra settings. Maybe because it's more scene directed or something? The aliasing could use a little work, but damn the game looks really good.
The game uses *really* high res textures in some places. The high res specular reflections on the faces are pretty key in nailing the realism. The 720p res kinda muddies some of the high res textures though, it's pretty noticeable on Dawkins jacket when it's close to the camera. It'll get a kind of moire pattern on it, similar to this photo.
Moir%C3%A9.jpg

I really hope this gets a PS4 port, there is too much effort and detail put into every nook and cranny in this game to be confined to 720p.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Just finished it. I don't understand how most of the reviewers give it a 7... this is easily an 8-9.

Incredible graphics, soundtrack , story, animations, interpretation, and decent gameplay (fulfilling it's objective: keep you interacting as fast as possible with the minimal amount of information in the screen), what else do people expect these days from a videogame? I think most of the low scores are complains about the gameplay style... A lot of people needs to learn that a game is not less fun for not having to smash all the buttons of the controller at once. The objective of videogames is to entertain, no matters which way. But hey, a review is just an opinion, each one has it's own... at least I can say I had a blast of fun playing Beyond :)

I think the most incredible thing of the game is that you go through 15 years in the live of the character. In the beginning it was a bit odd that the history wasn't linear, but at the middle of the game you can totally see why is not linear. Your decisions could be very different once that you know what happened in the early life of the character (this makes the first playthrough even more interesting), also the story can totally change by events in the past that you still have not played (even resulting in plot twists). Totally awesome way of presenting the story.

Also the game keeps you in a constant emotional rollercoaster, which really improves over Heavy Rain which is more like a curve.

Awesome videogame to become a classic as Farenheit and Heavy Rain, at least for me.

And as a lot of people have pointed, some scenes looks like you are seeing a freaking real movie thanks to the quality of the facial textures. During those scenes all I could think about was how awesome would it be to see this title in PC/PS4, I can't even imagine how good would it look in 1080p, 60fps and a good AA. I can't wait for the next game of QD... The Dark Sorcerer looks incredible.

you cant see how this got sevens? really. ive been playing hours and i have no idea what the actual plot/story is. its like your just plahing random scenes. like someone hitchapterselectand played a scene with no context. its really getting me down.

SRTtoZ

And that right there folks is how you do an ending.

Great game, not perfect but easily a 9/10. My 2nd favorite game this year behind TLOU.

Amazing game. Can't wait to replay it.

Cloudy

Banned
you cant see how this got sevens? really. ive been playing hours and i have no idea what the actual plot/story is. its like your just plahing random scenes. like someone hitchapterselectand played a scene with no context. its really getting me down.

WTF. The scenes are presented randomly but they give you the timeline right there.

I feel this was the right design choice because the flow of time wouldn't be appreciated if the events were presented in chronological order.

I am near the end and it's a solid 8 right now. Might be a 9 depending on the ending.

I do feel the game would have benefited from conventional controls in the action sequences though. Still, it's 2nd only to TLOU for me this year...

SRTtoZ

WTF. The scenes are presented randomly but they give you the timeline right there.

I feel this was the right design choice because the flow of time wouldn't be appreciated if the events were presented in chronological order

Not only that but as the game goes on you start to piece it all together because all of the other pieces fill in. At the beginning/middle, your timeline isnt nearly filled out but by the time you near the end you see why it was presented in such way and it really makes sense, especially with the ending.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread I HATED the way the timeline was broken up, well I changed my tune.

HT UK

Theory on canon ending for sequel:

If they're doing a sequel, they've given themselves two options. They can see if Page wants to do another game, if so, then the 'Life' ending will become canon. Otherwise they'll say the 'Beyond' ending is canon based on 'trophy data' or some excuse like that.

hal9001

Banned
Completed the Navajo chapter (which I know some people hated) and I would have to say its my favourite so far. The whole setting and the Indian american connection really spoke to me for some reason. I also managed to save
Paul
, which not many people did judging from some of playthroughs on YouTube. Absolutely loving the game and I don't want it to end.

Wow, I did not expect the events that happened in
The Condenser
. I was so fucking scared.

That chapter really brought back flashbacks to RE4. The atmosphere combined with insane graphics made it very nerve shredding experience.

jwk94

It also seems like everyone got fatigued by the
Navajo
chapter.

The random chapters begin to make sense later on. I didn't like it at first but after beating the game, I really appreciate it. At first i told myself i would replay the game from the first to last chapter, but now I'm not so sure I want to. I think the way they did it works out too well.

If they were to do a HD remake for the ps4, i'd buy it in a heartbeat. Now, let's get on to Beyond: Two Souls 2 please!

Cudder

Going to start this tonight with the girlfriend! Can you control either character on the smartphone in duo mode, or does Jodie have to be controlled using the controller?

jwk94

Going to start this tonight with the girlfriend! Can you control either character on the smartphone in duo mode, or does Jodie have to be controlled using the controller?

When I did coop, my buddy and I were given the choice of who we wanted to play as with our DualShock 3s. Should be the same with the app, but I'm not sure.

DrChicken

Neo Member
I really don't understand the ridiculously low scores, I finished it last night in almost one sitting.. Awesome game, such an interesting story and Ellen Page was simply incredible.

Cudder

When I did coop, my buddy and I were given the choice of who we wanted to play as with our DualShock 3s. Should be the same with the app, but I'm not sure.

I was under the impression one person had to use a smartphone? You're saying both players can use a dualshock?

Top Bottom