• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I was following a guy home yesterday and he did the strangest thing: he put both cranks down when he coasted. As in his feet were beside each other. And then he started pedaling normally only to coast a little later, again with both feet down. It was so odd I couldn't pass him (man he was slow for being fully kitted out and no pannier or anything) because I wanted to watch and try to figure it out. What the hell was he doing?

Had some dental surgery earlier this week and can't ride until Sunday. I'm sure it's entirely coincidental that the weather forecast predicts a cold spell for that day.

But I did visit a local bike store and tried sitting on a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Tiagra. In celeste of course. The sales guy also tried to sell me a carbon wonder with electronic Ultegra gears. It was hella cool but I'm not going to put 4k on a road bike even if I could afford it.

robox

As well, I dropped my bike the other day and dented a tube. I then wondered how a carbon frame would've handled that

I dented a tube once on my old Cannondale hard tail. It was the very large tube, thin walled style of aluminum. but it was in a crash, not just a drop or tip over. So it can happen.

Jobiensis

My top tube is dented on both sides where the handlebar smacked it after I launched it at 35+mph. It is one sort of crash that kills carbon bikes. It is basically like hitting it with a hammer. The guy that hit me when I was down...

mGeOyr8.jpg

But I could drop my bike all day and not dent it. I wouldn't worry about breaking a carbon bike by dropping it either. Unless you were trying to hang it on your roof and it dropped. ;)

What's the best way to choose a saddle/seat? Mine really hurts my seat bone and I stay tender for days, so much that it discourages me from riding. Do I need a wider one? Softer one? I don't even know.

This is what is on my bike now:

1405681045-99.jpg

cdViking

Anybody on Bike-Gaf TT or race triathlons? I've been into triathlon for a few years, but a foot injury the last couple years has had me cycling a ton. Have an Allez w/a decent component set for normal road rides, but finally scrapped my P2SL for a brand spankin' new 2014 P2:

Off the trainer:
AZlOhAq.jpg

Fully kitted, just before dismount line (end of bike leg) at triathlon relay:
iLqrI2A.jpg

Bike is ridiculously fast, super adjustable (I'm 6'7"), and comfortable to ride/hold an aggressive aero position in. So awesome, I haven't even lusted after a new bike since getting it...

thomaser

Bike is ridiculously fast, super adjustable (I'm 6'7"), and comfortable to ride/hold an aggressive aero position in. So awesome, I haven't even lusted after a new bike since getting it...

Cool! I've always wanted to try a good tempo bike to see how fast they really are. Several triathletes in my neighborhood, including the reigning Nordic senior tempo-champion (average speed over 50 km/h on local 20 km-routes). Those guys are stupidly fit, and have all the Strava KOMs.

Paracelsus

Terrone-Gaf reporting for duty. It was a meager 11km (25 total to get back because I went sightseeing in places I haven't been in 10 years). Took me half a hour to get here.

(Wish I had a better phone). Bike was a piece of junk two months ago, I replaced enough parts (pretty much everything except sprocket, chain and shift components, including a new, smaller crankset and readjusted both derailleurs) to make it perfectly serviceable again. I am still waiting for new fenders but it seems I won't be needing them any time soon. Dropped my old studded 26 x 1.96 Kenda for a pair of these in the process, and I swear I'm never looking back. Over 320km since mid-August, not even one flat, even when I'm packed with stuff (today) I get to average 20km/h easily.

Laekon

What's the best way to choose a saddle/seat? Mine really hurts my seat bone and I stay tender for days, so much that it discourages me from riding. Do I need a wider one? Softer one? I don't even know.

This is what is on my bike now:

Both bike shops I worked at let customers try out saddles for a few rides as its such a personal thing. That is even ones we didn't have demo models of. You pay for it, keep all the packaging/receipt, and be careful mounting to your bike and riding it. It might take 3 rides to see if you like a saddle or not. Also make sure it's level or slightly nose down.

Your personnel flexibility and position on the bike play a big role in seat selection. My personnel favorite for road riding is the Fizik Aliante. I'm a bigger guy with poor low back flexibility. I haven't noticed a comfort difference between the high-end and middle models. I haven't tried the entry level ones.

cdViking

That bike looks a size too small for you.

TT frames are a little deceptive, as I have the front pretty low for aero purposes (and I do have more stack to play), but I do have to put the seat post a little high, and I actually switched to 165mm cranks to fit better.

Unfortunately, this is the tallest TT bike on the market (thankfully one of the fastest!), and I ain't paying $3000 for a custom frameset that would be significantly slower aero-wise.

Mascot

Terrone-Gaf reporting for duty. It was a meager 11km (25 total to get back because I went sightseeing in places I haven't been in 10 years). Took me half a hour to get here.

Lovely to see a bit of Italian sun. It's a bit different here today - we are under a blanket of dense white fog at the moment. There's a real autumn feeling in the air. Looking forward to heading out as soon as the fog clears but might struggle with energy reserves because the local fog horn woke me up at 4am. Are fog horns really necessary these days? Don't all boats have GPS?

waypoetic

Banned
TT frames are a little deceptive, as I have the front pretty low for aero purposes (and I do have more stack to play), but I do have to put the seat post a little high, and I actually switched to 165mm cranks to fit better.

Deceptive? I've been to TT's and i've ridden one myself but i wouldn't call them deceptive in terms of size. You looked like a giant on that bike, that's all :p

waypoetic

Banned
Any recommendations for a quality bike trainer? I tried using rollers before, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, so stands only.

I so wan't a roller but it'd be a dumb thing to get when i actually need a trainer, but to answer your question: i could name a few but i suggest you write down the things that are important to you and i'm sure we could find a suitable trainer
i see my old sales-self took over the keyboard, i'm sorry

I got an email this morning from Wiggle and they've got a sale on trainers etc right now, so go check that out while it's still going.

Rode to work and back after the dentist-imposed hiatus of a few days. I took it easy but my legs felt so good I got really close to my previous best without even trying. Perhaps there's something to resting a bit longer every now and then?

Mascot

Just lent my exercycle to a lady friend who's recovering from knee surgery. Need it in this weather, but she needs it more. I don't think I'll see it again.

Anybody on Bike-Gaf TT or race triathlons? I've been into triathlon for a few years, but a foot injury the last couple years has had me cycling a ton. Have an Allez w/a decent component set for normal road rides, but finally scrapped my P2SL for a brand spankin' new 2014 P2:

Off the trainer:
AZlOhAq.jpg

Fully kitted, just before dismount line (end of bike leg) at triathlon relay:
iLqrI2A.jpg

I did a sprint for funsies this summer. I forgot how to swim (or at least it felt that way) because I couldn't do the crawl for anything and had to do the breast stroke the entire leg. My bike time was #6 of the entire field so that helped but in the end I didn't make enough time up there to help my run do I ended up in the 40s overall.

The bike I used was my commuter.
Rode to work and back after the dentist-imposed hiatus of a few days. I took it easy but my legs felt so good I got really close to my previous best without even trying. Perhaps there's something to resting a bit longer every now and then?

I feel like this every now and then. I didn't ride this weekend and had yesterday off and this morning I had to ride in full rain gear. I felt like I barely tried but my time was the same as usual. Every time I looked at my computer I was doing 20+ and it just felt like I was out there spinning, not pushing.

andylsun

I jumped on the bike last weekend for the first time for a month or so, and matched my last time on a fixed route (20 miles) before the enforced break.

Rest is good and the body doesn't forget.

Mascot

But it's got spd's on it! And I rode with the helmet visor on!

Once a Jimmy, always a Jimmy.

First ride for two weeks this evening, and it was glorious. Muddy as fuck. Loved it!

ploJdBVCGdiz9cKzwYBbrvPnZApj-ZPYLPCJaIvqPD0=w457-h609-no
SKbi3URz_KcB5UJdbYM68unF7AHGBmOjcXl4EYDAEDw=w457-h609-no

Got back home in the dark just in teeshirt and shorts. It's unbelievably warm for the time of year. Looking forward to heading back out there tomorrow.

On the way home yesterday I was stuck behind a guy commuting on a 29er. Holy shit those are some big tires.

Looking to build a bike and there are four shops in the area that carry the frame I want. Two are owned by the same people so basically three shops. I emailed the three shops with the exact same question and received two responses. One response ignored the first part of my question and said they do offer the new 105 groupset. The other response told me to call the store. I'm left with what appears to be zero LBS options for this. I don't want to put it together myself - I want it to be done well - but it's looking likely.

Got back home in the dark just in teeshirt and shorts. It's unbelievably warm for the time of year. Looking forward to heading back out there tomorrow.

Nice mud, did you splash across the puddles like a kid?

Freezing temps at night here, barely more than that in daytime. My lower back got all stiff after I washed the mtb in too little clothing a couple of days ago. This weekend is sunny though so perfect for ROAD BIKING.

muu

I'm mostly recovered from the crash a month ago, though the shoulder still doesn't feel 100%. I took a look at my bike today, and while everything looks decent I noticed a few things...

1) Front wheel is slightly off true.

2) handlebars are... bent.

Hoping I can get the wheel in working order by truing them (esp. since they're the equivalent of Clincher shimano ultegra wheels), handle bars I dunno. I was thinking about fixing this myself but it may be a safer bet to spend some money at the bike shop...

Took the Bianchi out on a proper spin, it goes so fast! Unlike the mtb, hills are usually done before I get all wheezy. Felt like I was actually in shape even though I'm not.

I even ended up on a bit of gravel, it was no biggie although I was paranoid about getting a puncture on those little strips of rubber they call road tyres.

Mascot

Pissed down all last night so it was even boggier in the woods today. Came back looking like a swamp monster. Loved it!

Really feeling a noticeable energy boost since I bought my Nutribullet. Spinach, kale, blueberry, raspberry, banana and Greek yoghurt with walnuts and a dash of Tabasco. Lovely. Anyone else on BikeGAF blend their own smoothies?

Mascot

That'll be the brand-new bike shoes christened, then...

My neighbour came out with me yesterday and we ended up doing 24 miles in a total quagmire. I thought it was glorious but he was cursing my name near the end - he only does around ten miles normally. Had to air-lift him off his bike when we got back.

Speed with Guy Martin is back this Sunday (Channel 4, 8pm)

In the first episode, he's back on his bike to see how far it's possible to cycle during 24 hours of non-stop pedalling.

Mascot

Speed with Guy Martin is back this Sunday (Channel 4, 8pm)

In the first episode, he's back on his bike to see how far it's possible to cycle during 24 hours of non-stop pedalling.
Top bloke, quality TV.
Guy Martin's Spitfire was excellent too, but I'm not sure anything of the doner plane was used in the restoration..!

dat CX-demo experience ;)

No room for any more bikes, unless I throw out some of the neighbours' clunkers which I'm 90% sure nobody would mind but who knows.

In other news, Siberian weather has arrived. Still jimmying. Lidl jacket has my back, but I need to find a shirt with thumb loops or something. Frozen wrists is not fun.

Top Bottom