• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

cdViking

Watching the different Belgian Cyclocross series, and even my friends competing sometimes, makes me antsy to try it out. Then I remember I already spent too much money this year to justify even dropping a teeny amount of dough on a CraigsList junker, and would have to learn how handle a bike better. I guess I can work on the latter and think about it for next year.

do those shoe covers really work and keep your feet nice and warm? my shoes are tight fit so doubling up the thermal sockage brings me pain and discomfort after about 20mins of cycling.

Aiustis

Someone stole my wheel...bad news I got to walk my bike home. The not so bad news: it was free anyway. The jokes kind of on them...it's a 30 year old wheel that couldn't be trued with tire that's partially rotted and a tube that has a slow leak and 4 patches already.

This just means I have to get a new wheel, but I've needed one forever. 4 years ago the current wheels were supposed to be a temporary fix.

kottila

do those shoe covers really work and keep your feet nice and warm? my shoes are tight fit so doubling up the thermal sockage brings me pain and discomfort after about 20mins of cycling.

They keep you drier and warmer, but they will fail eventually. I was advised from a former pro to buy shoes so big that they could fit a pair of thick wool socks and that was one of the best advises I ever received

Someone stole my wheel...bad news I got to walk my bike home. The not so bad news: it was free anyway. The jokes kind of on them...it's a 30 year old wheel that couldn't be trued with tire that's partially rotted and a tube that has a slow leak and 4 patches already.

This just means I have to get a new wheel, but I've needed one forever. 4 years ago the current wheels were supposed to be a temporary fix.

That's the spirit. :D

First snow spotted! Just a white coating on the gravel, but still. Luckily it'll be +10C and rain by Sunday. I just hope the weather stays dry after that so I can get enough mileage on the Bianchi.

robox

They keep you drier and warmer, but they will fail eventually. I was advised from a former pro to buy shoes so big that they could fit a pair of thick wool socks and that was one of the best advises I ever received

1 pair of shoes isn't enough; need summer and winter shoes...

i've found that each hobby of mine requires a dedicated pair of shoes. cycling, running, rock climbing, hiking...

Mascot

1 pair of shoes isn't enough; need summer and winter shoes...

i've found that each hobby of mine requires a dedicated pair of shoes. cycling, running, rock climbing, hiking...

I find I need two pairs of bike shoes just so that one can be drying while the other is in use.

Invisible man not seen cycling in local woods:

9vLHvqlVqomz2SOxeWxOfJrURdELZ9mcN4eJYtHOTr8=w1110-h805-no

good enough for me, i've ordered some knockoff castelli covers off ebay.

saw a carrera subway ltd frame dumped in a skip whilst taking the dog out this evening... so i swiped it. there's a few paint chips and scuff marks, but otherwise it's in decent nick. however, i can't remove the fork:

untitled-197bic.jpg

untitled-274sol.jpg

i've whacked it with a hammer but it won't budge - it's like it's locked in, do i need a special tool?

Laekon

saw a carrera subway ltd frame dumped in a skip whilst taking the dog out this evening... so i swiped it. there's a few paint chips and scuff marks, but otherwise it's in decent nick. however, i can't remove the fork:

i've whacked it with a hammer but it won't budge - it's like it's locked in, do i need a special tool?

Water will run down your leg and into the booties but they will still keep you warm. Lot's of times I wouldn't even notice my feet were soaked until I took them off because my feet were warm. Depending on where you live a waterproof outer with fleece inner might do or just get neoprene.

The top of the headset in your picture should be rubber with maybe an inner plastic ring. try prying it off with a screw driver or cutting it with wire cutters. With all the corrosion on the steer tube it might be stuck to the bottom bearing also. Need some type of penetrating lube.

Chances are the star nut is jammed inside.

The star nut is inside the steer tube and wouldn't keep the fork from coming out of the head tube.

untitled-197bic.jpg

untitled-274sol.jpg

Does the fork turn easily or does it feel sluggish?

I was working on the theory that it had caused expansion in the tube by being overtensioned. Guess it would have probably been a bit of an extreme outcome.

Curious, my friend has been raving about fixed gear bikes and whatnot for awhile now. I finally tried one just the other month, and I now know what they mean by fixed gear.

What are the advantages/disadvantages over other bikes? I literally have no knowledge in the world of bikes. D:

If you'rte a noob avoid fixies.

i had to go at the top ring with a hammer and screwdriver to break it, so it's finally free, but now i can't remove the bearings:

untitled-2h9qgj.jpg

untitled-16qsqn.jpg

same as before with a hammer and screw driver? i'm only familiar with the exposed bearing cages that you can just pull out with your finger.

threw on some old tat from the spares cupboard to size it up and it looks good to me

untitled12obe2s.jpg

i just need to get some new bits and possibly a new suspension fork if i can't use my current one, i think it'll only have about an inch or so poking through to clamp a stem on - is it no good?

thomaser

Anyone else on BikeGAF blend their own smoothies?

Every morning! Usually a banana, another fruit (pear, 1/2 apple, 1/2 mango are good ones), some fruit juice, some probiotic milk or yoghurt, and frozen berries. Maybe honey. Great for the body and tastes wonderful.

thomaser

They work well to keep the feet warm, but they won't keep the rain out forever. I had a two-hour ride in pouring rain last Sunday, and my feet were drenched the second half even if I wore "water-proof" shoe covers. Definitely recommended anyway for cold or wet days.

The ones I use do. The key is making sure you have proper waterproof socks on that seal completely around your ankle.

Of course, if your socks get wet before you put them on then they'll provide little more than insulation. Start with them on though and you can pretty much go up against anything.

Laekon

i had to go at the top ring with a hammer and screwdriver to break it, so it's finally free, but now i can't remove the bearings:

same as before with a hammer and screw driver? i'm only familiar with the exposed bearing cages that you can just pull out with your finger.

threw on some old tat from the spares cupboard to size it up and it looks good to me

i just need to get some new bits and possibly a new suspension fork if i can't use my current one, i think it'll only have about an inch or so poking through to clamp a stem on - is it no good?

If you are going to need a new headset I would just bring it to a shop. They have special tools that make removing the bearing cups a lot easier. The installation of the new cups is even harder without proper tools.

The crown race looks to have worn unevenly which is really odd for a sealed bearing headset.

As for your old fork it depends on the stem you have and the position you want/need.

The key is making sure you have proper waterproof socks on that seal completely around your ankle.

If you wear waterproof socks you will just get wet from sweat.

Mascot

Heading out shortly for a dawn ride with a mate who very nearly went full-Jimmy but had a last minute epiphany and bought a hybrid instead.

Bullet dodged. He'll possibly never know just how close he came.

The Siberian weather is gone, replaced by mostly dry autumn for at least a week. That means I need to get 150km of jimmying done in that time.

Mascot

The Siberian weather is gone, replaced by mostly dry autumn for at least a week. That means I need to get 150km of jimmying done in that time.
Just got back from the dawn ride. It was chilly but we managed to avoid the showers for over three hours, then got absolutely drenched one mile from home. BAH!

thomaser

Just got back from the dawn ride. It was chilly but we managed to avoid the showers for over three hours, then got absolutely drenched one mile from home. BAH!

Dammit, I want to go out on the bike, but it's pouring and stormy. I'd get drenched before reaching my garage.

My ride-buddy bought himself a Tackx i-Vortex Plus roller yesterday, so he can still "ride" on days like these. I want one too...

Bonus: Speaking of the weather, there's a mountain nearby that's supposedly going to avalanche very soon. They said it will probably happen when there's rain, and it's raining heavily now. Worst case scenario, the avalanche gets so big that it plugs up the river in the valley underneath, eventually making a catastrophic flood that wipes out a town lower down. Here's a live camera on the mountain. Best case, and most likely, it doesn't reach the river. That area is a great place to bike (and base jump/fly with wingsuit for a certain kind of people) when the mountains are not threatening to fall on your head.

A very good ride today, hills felt like nothing. The morning rain made everything totally slippery. Almost otb'd when I lost traction going uphill (pedaling hard standing up), but in the end I just hopped around on one foot and dodged the falling bike. I guess the internet was correct in saying the oem tyres on my bike are crap in wet conditions.

In any case, this reaffirms my feelings on never using spd's on mountain bikes, except for something like gravel grinding. Flats ftw!

Mascot

A very good ride today, hills felt like nothing. The morning rain made everything totally slippery. Almost otb'd when I lost traction going uphill (pedaling hard standing up), but in the end I just hopped around on one foot and dodged the falling bike. I guess the internet was correct in saying the oem tyres on my bike are crap in wet conditions.

In any case, this reaffirms my feelings on never using spd's on mountain bikes, except for something like gravel grinding. Flats ftw!
Yeah, very slippy in the woods this afternoon. All the trails are sticky mud carpeted in wet leaves. Had one of those exciting high-speed moments where the front wheel slides away any you get slammed to the ground. Thought I'd sprained a wrist but it seems OK.

Mascot

I've got every Monday booked off work between now and Christmas (yay!) but just had an epiphany - change them to half days and get two rides in during the week at a time of year when rides after work won't be possible again until March.

Sorted.

Mascot

Might need to look at a new mud tyre for the front. Had another high-speed slide today and got dumped into a tree stump, landing on the shoulder I dislocated snowboarding a few years ago. Hurts like a bastard. Bent my rear mech, too.

Ran into my house this weekend.

I've been building up this bike with bartered/free parts and finally got the nuts to hold the rear wheel on. I got impatient as I wanted to test out the freewheel I got for free at a swap meet so I put my shoes on and went for a spin. I didn't have the brake installed because a) It was giving me adjustment problems and b) I'm an idiot. I figured, "my driveay has a 35% grade, that'll be enough to slow me down!" Ha, nope. I was trying too hard to test the freewheel so I was going way too fast. It was either run into the car, truck, chainlink fence, or house...so I aimed for the house. That hurt. The headset introduced itself to my pelvis and I had to walk with frozen peas in my pants for most of the day yesterday. Just an inch to the left and it'd be much more painful, I'm sure.

Got the brake sorted though. Quick fast and in a hurry, as Major Payne would say. Oddly (Luckily) the front wheel suffered no ill effects from the incident. I didn't think of it until just now but I should check the fork and make sure it's ok.

Might need to look at a new mud tyre for the front. Had another high-speed slide today and got dumped into a tree stump, landing on the shoulder I dislocated snowboarding a few years ago. Hurts like a bastard. Bent my rear mech, too.

I hate losing my front wheel. Worst sort of crashes.

injurai

Banned
looking to get a road bike, never had one before (used them though)

titanium seems really expensive... how do people feel about aluminium?

any good $300-400 bikes and or brands to look out for?

Mascot

Help me out here, BikeGAF. After my tumble yesterday I need to recalibrate my rear mech (Shimano XT) as the gears were subsequently slipping like a bastard. After further inspection I don't *think* the derailleur is bent. I've checked the chain for stiff links and have realigned the mech with the rear cassette and reset the limits.

The problem is this: when shifting from the smallest cog at the rear the rapidfire shifter (the one worked by the right-hand index finger) needs 'clicking' three times before the derailleur moves. It's been a while since I've had to adjust my gears (I was off the bike for several years with a gammy ankle) so I *think* this is due to cable tension (but might be wrong), so can anyone offer any insight?

Much appreciated if you can, so thanks in advance.

Have you used yours much since going all semi-Jimmy on us?

Not even once. Been away / working my arse off.

As for the the gears... are yours low normal? (i.e. it gets easier / bigger cog when you click rather than harder) Those are fairly unusual these days.

Mascot

Not even once. Been away / working my arse off.

What is it you do? Work should never interfere with biking when the weather is this good!

As for the the gears... are yours low normal? (i.e. it gets easier / bigger cog when you click rather than harder) Those are fairly unusual these days.

Ah, sorry, I got it arse-about-face. Gears were shifting quite smoothly today after my tweaks but I've still got that triple-click deadzone.

Had a comedy moment today while bombing along the coastal path heading to the woods. I thought I saw a naked woman standing on the beach, and by the time I'd worked out that she was wearing jodhpurs and a beige jersey I'd veered off the path and landed in a ditch full of brambles. Came out looking like I'd been breakdancing with Freddie Kruger. Took me ages to pick the thorns out of my legs and I'm still finding them six hours later.

Very embarrassing. Took another tumble in the woods while failing to bunny-hop a big tree stump.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

What is it you do? Work should never interfere with biking when the weather is this good!

Self Employed (technically a company director).

...and you live just across the river, how in hell is the weather good where you are, it's awful here.

Also, if you need to go three clicks then you've got something very wrong. Here's my go to (most simple) guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHivrGPpVE&list=FLL_QI2c8Ch_ifaDhl_bOK4w&index=5

If you need more than that, just go to bike radar and use theirs.

Mascot

Self Employed (technically a company director).

...and you live just across the river, how in hell is the weather good where you are, it's awful here.

Also, if you need to go three clicks then you've got something very wrong. Here's my go to (most simple) guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHivrGPpVE&list=FLL_QI2c8Ch_ifaDhl_bOK4w&index=5

If you need more than that, just go to bike radar and use theirs.

Cool, thanks. Will investigate further.
Nope, I'm on your side of the estuary and the weather today was awesome. 19 degrees C and sunny. Teeshirt and shorts for my 30-miler and I was too warm at times.

You need to poke your head out of the window occasionally..! :p

Top Bottom