• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Alright, so I have a cadence sensor now but the app I've been using - mapmyride - is requesting me to go MVP to see the graphical info. Is there another app that is better (freer) at this?

Gray Matter

Group ride got canceled due to the coming thunderstorms, bummer, I haven't gone on a proper ride since last Thursday and I was looking forward to today.

Rbk_3

Got the Specialized Toupe Gel and man it's amazing. The stock seat on my new Emonda S4 killed my pernium and so did the Bontager Paradigm RL.

Took my new bike on its first real ride, 101km and my ass never felt so good riding my bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/313845791

It's only the 2nd time I've done 100k + and first time in 3 years. I was cramping pretty bad in my cavs and had to stop a few times. I drank 4.5 L of water, had 5 salt sticks, 1 pack of chewies, 1 pack of gel and stopped for a 6" sub at 75 I'm cause I could hardly go anymore. I never really have cramped before. Any ideas why I would now? I was staying hydrated and keeping my electrolytes up.I wanted to just turn around and head home several times but I was determined to get to 100k.

Rbk_3

Wahoo Fitness, but I don't think it does mapping.

Yea it does. I use it because of my RFLKT and TICKR and then it ports them to MMR,Strava and a ton of other apps with 1 quick button press in the app. Each app does its own thing with the data too and doesn't just use wahoos stuff which is great.

7A56640B-FA98-4189-89EC-D6E16B4091E0.png

19F17519-E772-4094-A893-8301E7CBA880.png

Next up I think I am going to buy the cadence sensor.

I want the Bontrager Duotrap, but it is only ANT+. The new bluetooth one only mounts to the Emoda SL and SLR and not the S, unfortunately.

gillty

Banned
Yea it does. I use it because of my RFLKT and TICKR and then it ports them to MMR,Strava and a ton of other apps with 1 quick button press in the app. Each app does its own thing with the data too and doesn't just use wahoos stuff which is great.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/b_rad4/7A56640B-FA98-4189-89EC-D6E16B4091E0.png[img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/b_rad4/19F17519-E772-4094-A893-8301E7CBA880.png[img]

Next up I think I am going to buy the cadence sensor.

I want the Bontrager Duotrap, but it is only ANT+. The new bluetooth one only mounts to the Emoda SL and SLR and not the S, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I can also say the Wahoo app is great on Android,

Use it with the RFLKT+ over BT (Barometric Altitude is nice), Mio Link HR over BT, and [URL="https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/bike-speed-sensor-and-cadence-sensor/prod146897.html"]the newer Garmin Speed and Cadence Ant+ Sensors which use accelerometers (as opposed to traditional magnet solutions)[/URL].

cdViking

Got the Specialized Toupe Gel and man it's amazing. The stock seat on my new Emonda S4 killed my pernium and so did the Bontager Paradigm RL.

Took my new bike on its first real ride, 101km and my ass never felt so good riding my bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/313845791

It's only the 2nd time I've done 100k + and first time in 3 years. I was cramping pretty bad in my cavs and had to stop a few times. I drank 4.5 L of water, had 5 salt sticks, 1 pack of chewies, 1 pack of gel and stopped for a 6" sub at 75 I'm cause I could hardly go anymore. I never really have cramped before. Any ideas why I would now? I was staying hydrated and keeping my electrolytes up.I wanted to just turn around and head home several times but I was determined to get to 100k.
It's likely just a case of fitness. I went on a ~70 mile ride this past week, and while I have a really solid position and a residual fitness from an insane winter training schedule, I was cramping HARD on the last bit of major ascent. It just takes the base to get there.

Your water intake sounds fine (unless you're a huge sweater); probable you didn't have enough calories either, though. I like to intake ~200/hour if I'm doing a solid/consistent pace.

Rbk_3

It's likely just a case of fitness. I went on a ~70 mile ride this past week, and while I have a really solid position and a residual fitness from an insane winter training schedule, I was cramping HARD on the last bit of major ascent. It just takes the base to get there.

Your water intake sounds fine (unless you're a huge sweater); probable you didn't have enough calories either, though. I like to intake ~200/hour if I'm doing a solid/consistent pace.

I am an insane sweater. If I a playing basketball for example, my jersey is soaked after 20 minutes. Also, it was about 30 degrees C.

Caloriewise, I didn't eat much at all before. I went at 2 pm and all I had was an ice coffee and 3 Wheatabix with 250 ML of milk , after getting up at 11. Next time I am defintly going to fuel up more before.

Cramping is usually down to conditioning in cycling. The longer the rides you do, the less likely you're going to cramp next time you do a long ride, extreme weather aside.

There's no way you needed more water than that over 4 hours. In fact, had you had much more then I would have argued it was that causing the problems.

Unrelated, LIMITS power meter in last 48 hours, just in case anyone is interested and hasn't placed an order yet: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/limits-the-world-s-smartest-cycling-power-meter

Cramping could be muscle fatigue or lack of nutrients (not hydrated, not enough food, etc).
Not sure what a salt stick is, but all that stuff combined seems like an awful lot of food & supplements for 100km/60m. It's plausible your inability to go was due to being too full. Here's what I typically do:

Sub 90 minutes of riding: no food or drink before, just bring a 25oz bottle of water and go

90 to 120 minutes: bowl of steel cut oats, bagel, or toast + peanut butter before. During 25oz of water, 18oz of Nuun (electrolyte mix) and something to eat (typically from Feed Zone Portables cookbook or just a simple PB+J sammich).

120 minutes or more: Same as above, but I'll bring 2-3x the food and an extra Nuun tablet or two. I'll likely stop at some point to refill my bottles with water.

The amount of water I'll consume is highly dependent on the temperature too. In most situations I can consume a few oz every 20 minutes and be fine, but anything hotter I'll go through more. Food wise I'm typically in the eat every 60-90 minute range depending on where I'm at distance wise, terrain and over all feel.

Your body doesn't need a ton of food over the course of long distances. For a lot of us something in the 250-300 calories per hour mark is pretty good. Anything over that and you run the chance of bloating, cramping, and just general fatigue. I know there is a lot of hate towards him, but Allen Lim's books on nutrition are pretty damn good. Valuable, simple and delicious recipes for while you're on the bike. I'm planning to try his Skratch Labs drink mix too since the Nuun's have been giving me issues.

Stryder

Yeah sounds like you could have flooded your system. That's a hell of a lot of water for that duration of riding (unless it was really hot and/or you were sweating a lot).

I've just picked up a Romin Pro saddle as I've been getting some numbness in the nether region with my last, hopefully this improves things. Can't imagine how a 100mile ride will go without proper circulation down there.

I pulled out of LIMITS, I just don't have faith in it and can wait on a power meter on the bike now that I have a trainer with a power meter built in. Good luck to those who ordered.

Only Nuun I've enjoyed enough to not get sick of is the cola one. The rest I grow tired off very quickly.

I personally would not go in on Limits after seeing how much time and trouble 4iii have had.

OUCH!

Just got back from the physio and holy shit was it painful. I was expecting the IT band rolling / massage to be uncomfortable, and it was, but it was nothing compared to the agony of him working on the bit where it attaches. I ended up having to bite my hand. lol

Have to go back for more next week. :(

IT band, when tight, is one of the most painful stretches / massages I've ever dealt with. When I got a foam roller it took me a solid week of rolling it for 30 seconds (3 sets) twice a day to finally get it past the "HOLY FUCK THIS HURTS" point. Sometimes when it's super band you can actually feel a bit of pressure relief around the knee.

I gave my chain a wax bath and it feels super smooth, the noise reduction is incredible. I've done 200 miles on it and the performance is so much better than my usual White Lightning Clean Ride lube, it's lasted longer, the chain is cleaner / quieter and it doesn't gunk up in the cassette.

That's one advantage of being a mountain biker, you never really notice the chain because everything else is so noisy.

What product did you use for the bath?

Paraffin wax in a jar, placed in a saucepan of boiling water, it's a bit of a faff but the benefits are worth it to me. I might have to go to one of those poundland shops and stock up on some big candles - lol

I've only ever used standard lube. Don't bother with those clean ride things as if my chain gets dirty I completely clean it down and relube... that's usually every ride outside of the brightest summer day (we don't get many of those).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pretty pleased with the new saddle pack. I had to be careful and find one that mounted at the correct angle to clear the Thudbuster and attach low enough down on the seatpost. It's almost like this one was designed specifically for it.

plus: SHARK!

I have the same pack and the zipper interferes with the underside of the seat and drives me insane. I have to unclip it to use it.

That's one advantage of being a mountain biker, you never really notice the chain because everything else is so noisy.

What product did you use for the bath?

Once you go 1X10 (in my case 1X9), you'll bask in the joy of silence. I was amazed at how much noise comes from the chain knocking around the front derailluer.

I know mine, did not touch or rub but trust me, it makes a big difference. It may also be the narrow wide chain ring holds the chain more securely, so there is less rattle. And this is without a clutch rear d/r on a full suspension bike.

I suspect it's more likely the narrow / wide making a difference, but on smooth ground I don't hear my chain on the front derailleur at all.

On harsh ground I used to hear it hitting the chainstay, but not so much since I got a clutch mech.

Heading out to a few local shops in OC today (The Path in Tustin comes highly recommended) to get a bicycle....anyone have any tips/recommendations for a beginner?

I don't want to spend more that $800 ($600 would be perfect), but I also want something that's enjoyable to ride and that will last. I'll probably be riding mostly on roads, but being able to take it off road would be nice. Should I look for a hybrid? Are there any specific brands I should look for?

Heading out to a few local shops in OC today (The Path in Tustin comes highly recommended) to get a bicycle....anyone have any tips/recommendations for a beginner?

I don't want to spend more that $800 ($600 would be perfect), but I also want something that's enjoyable to ride and that will last. I'll probably be riding mostly on roads, but being able to take it off road would be nice. Should I look for a hybrid? Are there any specific brands I should look for?

Define off road? Actual single track trails with roots, stumps, etc or something as simple as packed gravel?

gillty

Banned

I would go for a Cyclocross (CX) bike, a little more upright posture and will handle road and trails alike. You will grow out of a hybrid real fast imo.

HTupolev

Did the Flying Wheels Summer Century today. 100 miles and ~3700ft elevation gain. Was pretty nervous, seeing as the longest ride I'd done prior was 60 miles on a very gentle path.

I'm tired, but it was nowhere near as difficult as I expected. The drafting opportunities make worlds of difference. Amazing how little torque it takes to gently spin a high gear when you're behind twenty people.

I'm somewhat less nervous about STP now.

No luck on the bike front. The bike shop was way too expensive, with most bikes above $1k. On the flip side, the bikes at Walmart topped out around $200, but they were absolute trash. I also tried a sporting goods store, and the best I could find was a Diamondback Trace for $450.

I just don't know...feeling discouraged at the moment, but maybe the Diamondback is a decent entry level bike.

What type of riding are you planning on doing? I'd say you should almost certainly be able to find something reasonable for around $750.

It's pretty basic all around to be honest, but then that's a very low price. Can't see you doing much better for that sort of money.

That said, hybrids aren't exactly my speciality.

Did 45km here in Cyprus. Legs are ok and hydration is working, but I literally get blinded by sweat on climbs. Winter biking isn't so bad after all...

Mostly paved roads, but I'd like to take it on trails too (nothing advanced). What do you think of the Diamondback?

It's pretty basic hybrid bike and will work in most cases. You can certainly do some trails with it, but I would stick to mostly gravel and paved fired roads. If you decide to try some other stuff with it just be smart on it. I've taken my aluminum/carbon road bike through trails with roots, gravel, sand, etc and it's been ok.

Mascot

Mostly paved roads, but I'd like to take it on trails too (nothing advanced). What do you think of the Diamondback?

Based on friends' experiences with regret and buyer's remorse I'd never recommend a hybrid. It's a bit road bike and a bit mountain bike, so is neither one thing or another. Friends who have bought them for paved road & fire trail use have invariably ended up frustrated at being slower than Jimmies on the road and being unable to properly head off the beaten track if they see an interesting trail through the woods that they want to explore.

I truly believe that the hybrid was dreamed up by marketing men desperate to create a product that nobody really wanted in the first place. Just like 3D TVs.

Yeah, had more than one person try to slap me when driving past, and had cans / bottles thrown at me. It's a scummy area anyway, but still, shows what a lot of drivers feel towards cyclists under the surface.

Took to carrying a chain (for swinging purposes), got in a couple of quite nasty altercations, then just quit as I'd rather die hitting a tree in a forest than under someone's tyres.

Mascot

I avoid the roads as much as I can but do have to do short stints to get to the woods. It's not uncommon for some idiot to try to run me into a hedge on a blind bend for the sake of ten seconds. I fucking hate it.

I don't know how some of you Jimmies ever feel completely safe.

Top Bottom