• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Norfair

I have never had anything remotely close to that happen to me while road biking. A few people trying to squeeze past me a bit to close but never outright hostility.

Gray Matter

I haven't been mountain biking, but I think road biking is great. You can get so far from on a bike, it makes me feel like a accomplished something.

Looks like a solid bit of kit.

Aren't you going to struggle with hills with a 52 up front? Sure, it gives you a serious gear for hammering along on the flats, but I'd have thought that would be too much for anything particularly steep.

There was apparently a lane on the right hand side, not entirely sure how the cyclist would have gotten over to it though (it's a two way road).

If it's a two way cycling lane there should be a way to get there on every intersection. But in maps it does look like a poor attempt to get cyclists out of the way of motorists. A one way cycling lane on a two way road. Strange. But it's also strange that cyclists riding on the other side of the road also don't use the cycling lane.

Edit: It's a sidewalk. Doesn't matter anyway. The guy is nuts.

Well, I certainly wouldn't try to cross over to it when it appears. Great chance of getting run over that way.

But yeah, even if one is available, it's not mandatory to use one. Problem with a lot of the ones in the UK is that people park in them and pedestrians walk straight across them without looking. Mainland Europe is much better for that sort of thing.

Ha, I just saw this picture of the road:

Luq5PhX.jpg

Two lane cycle path... good luck with that. My bars are wider than the entire of that lane.

Tawpgun

Jesus my bikes fall apart quickly.

Having the same issue with my new bike that I had with my old bike. Handlebars becoming loose and sliding up and down. So I buy the thing to tighten that bolt. Only to have to retighten it so often it wore down the bolt so now the wrench can't get a hold on it.

On top of that the wire for my back brake slipped out and I cant get it back in so that brake is gone.

My front brake squeaks like hell.

My gears work but the gear hand thing slips so its hard to keep it on a specific gear.

Anyway I can fix any of these problems on my own without paying a bike repair shop?

Looks like a solid bit of kit.

Aren't you going to struggle with hills with a 52 up front? Sure, it gives you a serious gear for hammering along on the flats, but I'd have thought that would be too much for anything particularly steep.

A 52 might be too steep but it's pretty wide range in the back with 11-36. A 48 is probably a more ideal solution in the end. I may just work with the shop owner to try out different ranges, but start with the 48. I ride a 50 on my normal road bike and very seldom top that out and anything over 5% grade starts to feel too steep in it.

Just picked up my first bike in a long, long time. It needs some serious TLC, but I think it has charm.

Welcome and enjoy. Don't mind the jargon, you'll pick it up soon enough.

I avoid the roads as much as I can but do have to do short stints to get to the woods. It's not uncommon for some idiot to try to run me into a hedge on a blind bend for the sake of ten seconds. I fucking hate it.

I don't know how some of you Jimmies ever feel completely safe.

Like so.

Most of my riding is done on city streets but when I'm in training mode I go backwoods, like up around Mt. St. Helens kind of backwoods, and there's been almost zero antagonisation which is nice. The roads are shit but then that's how that goes with the snowier elevations.
Jesus my bikes fall apart quickly.

Having the same issue with my new bike that I had with my old bike. Handlebars becoming loose and sliding up and down. So I buy the thing to tighten that bolt. Only to have to retighten it so often it wore down the bolt so now the wrench can't get a hold on it.

On top of that the wire for my back brake slipped out and I cant get it back in so that brake is gone.

My front brake squeaks like hell.

My gears work but the gear hand thing slips so its hard to keep it on a specific gear.

Anyway I can fix any of these problems on my own without paying a bike repair shop?

Well, the headset problem is difficult without better understanding of what you're talking about. Is it the handlebar that is moving (i.e. rotating) or is it the stem that is moving? Is it a quill stem or a threadless headset? Though since you mention a bolt (nut) you were tightening, it is probably a quill. That nut is (usually) aluminium and a very soft metal, what kind of wrench were you using?

The back brake wire slipping out is a weird one. You should be able to just put it back in and tighten the bolt holding it down.

Gears slipping is an adjustment issue. This is my hands-down favorite adjustment video because it shows you just how easy it is to adjust yourself.

Brake squeaking is usually just a resonance issue. Toeing your brakes might help.

LeBoef

meh...
can anyone help me indexing the gears?
i have no problem indexing my gears when i am on the small/ big crank (front).
but as soon as i switch, they wont properly work on the small/ big which i didnt set up.

for example
i am on the small front crank and index my gears until they run perfectly.
as soon as is go onto the big front crank, i cant get into the highest gear and some in between aswell.

any ideas what to do?

(i have no clue about technical bike stuff as i am learning it step by step. but i can handle things if i get a proper tut or a hint what to read)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What brand or type of chain lube do you guys recommend?

I live in Minnesota, and I'm primarily going to and from campus and around town. All road biking. It rains fairly often here, and gets pretty humid.

Just had another treatment on the knee / IT band. Informed him that I'm still bruised from the last one so if he's as rough as he was last time we'd be having strong words! After a bit of ultrasound and massage he used acupuncture needles to increase blood flow to the area. That's a first for me.

Apparently it's a lot better than it was, but I can't really tell at the moment as all I can feel is bruising. Will probably try an hour on the turbo trainer later to see how I get on.

Mascot

Just had another treatment on the knee / IT band. Informed him that I'm still bruised from the last one so if he's as rough as he was last time we'd be having strong words! After a bit of ultrasound and massage he used acupuncture needles to increase blood flow to the area. That's a first for me.

Apparently it's a lot better than it was, but I can't really tell at the moment as all I can feel is bruising. Will probably try an hour on the turbo trainer later to see how I get on.

I'm a firm believer in acupuncture. Worked miracles for me.

Tawpgun

Yeah, there's a lot of that.

The hell are you doing to your bikes? lol

...and yeah, all of those are easily fixable. Get on youtube and you'll find videos on all of those.

Not entirely sure how you're fucking up your handlebars though. Take a photo of where it connects.

I ride it a lot more now. Used to just do a 5 minute ride to and from campus. Now I ride 3.7 miles each way to and from work.

I'll take a photo later today but its more or less like one of these http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSp...les/Bianchi_841d_Red/BiaRek841D_StemPanto.jpg

The bar goes through that thing, which is tightened by that lower nut. Right now its not bad. It stays in place on its own and only moves when I put too much pressure on it. But its easily rotated. It isn't moving side to side (yet... my old bike has the same issue and it was much more loose until it flat out broke)

So I used to just tighten it (more often than seemed right) and it wore down the nut so the little wrench thing won't grip it anymore.

Well, the headset problem is difficult without better understanding of what you're talking about. Is it the handlebar that is moving (i.e. rotating) or is it the stem that is moving? Is it a quill stem or a threadless headset? Though since you mention a bolt (nut) you were tightening, it is probably a quill. That nut is (usually) aluminium and a very soft metal, what kind of wrench were you using?

The back brake wire slipping out is a weird one. You should be able to just put it back in and tighten the bolt holding it down.

Gears slipping is an adjustment issue. This is my hands-down favorite adjustment video because it shows you just how easy it is to adjust yourself.

Brake squeaking is usually just a resonance issue. Toeing your brakes might help.

I just used a regular hex/allen key I bought from a hardware store.

My brake wire slipped out of where the actual handbrake is on the handlebars. Thing is, I can't seem to get it back in, its too tight.

http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thu...cycle-Brake-Cable-Step-9Bullet1-Version-2.jpg

It fell out of that silver thing that holds it to the level.

Are you lining up the slots on the brake lever? No way it should be too tight to get back in, unless you're pressing the brake at the same time.

As for the nut, you're going to have to get someone to get that out for you. It might be that you've rounded a cheap allen key rather than the actual bolt though. That would be better under the circumstances.

For stopping it slipping when you have a new bolt / key, I'd probably put some carbon fibre paste on it. Failing that, wrap some tape around it which will mean you don't have to go so crazy when you tighten it up.

Buying brake cables and a new stem and getting them installed at a bike repair shop shouldn't cost too much. They're both so important for safety that I wouldn't go doing them myself if I wasn't into tinkering with bikes.

Tawpgun

Are you lining up the slots on the brake lever? No way it should be too tight to get back in, unless you're pressing the brake at the same time.

As for the nut, you're going to have to get someone to get that out for you. It might be that you've rounded a cheap allen key rather than the actual bolt though. That would be better under the circumstances.

For stopping it slipping when you have a new bolt / key, I'd probably put some carbon fibre paste on it. Failing that, wrap some tape around it which will mean you don't have to go so crazy when you tighten it up.

I'll look at some videos later.

Right now it seems impossible when I tried.

http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thu...cycle-Brake-Cable-Step-9Bullet1-Version-2.jpg

See that grooved silver cylinder the bike cable goes into before it reaches the black handle? I can't get it into that.

I was going to describe the process in detail, but to be honest, I think I'd go with what jakonovski said. You don't sound too confident mechanically.

LeBoef

I assume you're talking about chain rub yes?

Just follow this vid: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-adjust-a-front-derailleur-36198/

thanks for the link.
but thats not the problem.

i am lacking the proper english words to describe bike stuff... another try :)
this is what i have done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbk5RcH0bbQ

but the gears are only working as long as i dont change the gear in the front. as soon as i switch to the big gear (front), they start jumping in the back.

thomaser

Back from a very nice week in Italy. Pretty easy cycling except for a few really tough climbs. And keeping up with the best riders was a good challenge too, when they decided to go fast.

Sorry for the image overload:
View from where we ate lunch in Greccio. Little towns and castles all over the place.
Famous aqueduct in Spoleto. The little hole you can barely see in the middle is a popular place to jump from and commit suicide. When the same tour was held four years ago, a guy jumped out from there just as the guide explained about it.
View from Montefalco, where we visited a vinery. We cycled along the whole plain below. 30-40 kilometers of cycling road among the trees, with no cars at all.
Looking out from Assisi. Montefalco is on the hill to the right in the background.
Cool poster on a square in Assisi.
Assisi again. It's so cool to walk around the labyrinthine alleys. We saw a monk who crawled slowly up the steep streets on his knees, with his head to the ground. Some kind of atonement, probably.
Many of these climbs were much, much longer than they appeared.
One of the hardest climbs, although not very long, up over the remote Fonte Avellana monastery.
Rolling hills in the Marche region. Perfect for cycling! Although one woman in the group fell around here and had to be taken to a hospital with a helicopter... broken nose, two teeth lost, cuts all over her face, but ok all things considered.
Sun in my eyes at the beach in Pesaro. The bike I used was a Massi 848.
Bonus-trip along the Strada Panoramica Adriatica, which is the nicest cycling road I've ever been on.
Near the end of the Strada Panoramica, with Rimini in the background.

I did my trainer session. Even 80% felt relatively hard and I've clearly lost some fitness in the last few weeks. Don't think that my IT band was rubbing / twinging, but it's hard to tell as the tape the physio glued to me was pulling my hairs out. Little pain at the front of my knee, but I don't think it was anything to be concerned about.

Will do some stretching / heat treatments and see where I am in a couple of days with a 90% session.

it's most likely related to the rear derailleur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJfKO_tAo0

Changing the front gear wont affect how your gears change at the back... chain rub aside. But yeah, definitely take it to a shop methinks.

That bloke in the video says to put it on the small front ring, I've always done it on the big ring, all the guides in the cycling mags I get say to shift to the big ring as well, so who's right or doesn't matter?

teepo

Changing the front gear wont affect how your gears change at the back... chain rub aside. But yeah, definitely take it to a shop methinks.

you willing to bet on that? because i was in the exact same situation just this past month during my first 100km ride of the season. i was able to use all the rear gears on the inner chainring but when i switched to the outer, all but two would continuously jump around until i switched back to either of those two gears.

in short, it ended up being the rear derailleur which was causing the issue

Would be extremely surprised. You're talking about a difference of a couple of degrees in chain angle. The only reason I could see it happening is if you were to adjust the rear derailleur (badly) in the biggest ring, and then see problems in the inner ring (on a three ring setup), or vice versa. I suppose it could happen with a bent dérailleur, but that's the first thing you check before indexing anyway.

That bloke in the video says to put it on the small front ring, I've always done it on the big ring, all the guides in the cycling mags I get say to shift to the big ring as well, so who's right or doesn't matter?

Middle if you have three, biggest if you have two. Mostly because of averages, but also because you'll almost never get any rub in the middle ring as chain crossover isn't particularly extreme.

Sunday's ride planned. Blue Scar, Y Wâl and then Penhydd at Afan. Well, assuming my knee holds up anyway.

Oh, and you're more than welcome to join us if your neck perks up Mascot. I'm happy to pick you up.

Jimmy season calls, over 50km today and again tomorrow.

Today featured terrible winds: it started out with crosswinds I had to really lean into to keep upright. Then it turned into a headwind right as I turned back home. Had to really push to keep a group of older riders behind me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just got my Bad Boy 1 / 2015. So nice, but since my only comparison is a 100$ race bike from 1992 i guess any bike would feel super nice to me. Had to fiddle around with the brakes since the front wheel squealed like a pig and i was flabbergasted that the brakes needed a "break in". Would only like to change the seat - anyone familiar with the Brooks CAMBIUM C17?

abdc0b-1433441361.jpg

Whoever designed the integrated headlight needs to get fired! It illuminates the sky and shines right in my face :/ - non adjustable. WAT?!?

All disc brakes need to be bedded in. They'll still squeal from time to time though, but less so if you use resin pads (which will wear out faster).

Nice bike though. Shame about the light.

Top Bottom