• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I already tried to fix the light (since the idea of the light is genius) by soldering new LEDs to the board and bend them downwards. Minimal effect :'(

Now im going to need a second light on that bar, thats two frontlights! - given my OCD ill likely change the whole stem/bar setup.

ef4177-1433442986.png

Those things look unwieldy to me, like the stresses would be enough to rip the wheel off. Is there a place I can find an explanation of how it works / why it doesn't break?

They're made significantly stiffer than two leg forks. I don't trust them either... even though I've seen the tests! There's plenty of info on the cannondale site / around the web.

I thought they'd ditched the lefty fork a few years ago though. Maybe only on the mountain bikes, and kept it for the urban bikes?

Lefties are still current on mountain bikes.

Oh and nice pics thomaser. You must have had a blast.

Mascot

Sunday's ride planned. Blue Scar, Y Wâl and then Penhydd at Afan. Well, assuming my knee holds up anyway.

Oh, and you're more than welcome to join us if your neck perks up Mascot. I'm happy to pick you up.

I did miss this - thanks for the nudge. Unfortunately I'm over in Bristol this Saturday for BBQ and binge drinking with a plan to blast around Leigh Woods and the Plantation on Sunday, hangovers permitting. Thanks for the offer though, we'll do something soon.

The neck is a lot better. I actually went out for a test bimble tonight and ended up doing 23 miles around the woods. You know that little boardwalk I posted photos of a few days ago? I came off the end of it a little out of shape and did a cracking front flip when my wheel hit a tree root. If that didn't test the neck then nothing will.

senahorse

Well got the kickr, and set up my bike on it and a lot of gears were skipping. I adjusted the RD, got it pretty close (still not perfect) but now it's way out for my wheel. I then tried the gf's bike and it had the same issue. We think we might go out and get a bike that is just soley for the trainer. We are thinking we might get a road bike, is that the way to go for an indoor trainer, or does it really not matter? I guess playing Zwift it will match the aesthetic better with a roadie.

You should put on it whatever you usually ride. If that's a road bike, put a road bike on it, if it's a mountain bike, then mountain bike.

I do the same thing; my trainer bike is my trainer bike. I got totally sick of messing around changing tyres.

so I want to get a beginner MTB. The question now is 27.5inch or 29inch wheels.

At the shop i test rode both of them and both seem fine.

From the ones i test rode i liked this one the best:
Haibike big curve 9.40

anyone having this model? Brand?

There's really not much in it. Only thing I'd say is if you're doing more climbing and longer distances, go 29. If you're going to be doing shorter loops around tight and twisty trails, go 27.5.

But you might as well pick based on bike colour for all the difference it makes. Assuming all else is equal with the spec anyway.

Aside from it being relatively heavy (it's cheap, they're pretty much all heavy at that price range), I don't see anything obviously wrong with that bike you posted.

t-ramp

Don't think it matters too much. Mine is a 29er, but I rode a 26er around Bend, Oregon on streets and trails a couple days last fall and it was fine.

Some models have different wheel sizes corresponding to the frame size, too. I don't think wheel size would be a deciding factor for me, but I was looking at mostly 29ers in the price range my bike is at ($700-800).

Well got the kickr, and set up my bike on it and a lot of gears were skipping. I adjusted the RD, got it pretty close (still not perfect) but now it's way out for my wheel. I then tried the gf's bike and it had the same issue. We think we might go out and get a bike that is just soley for the trainer. We are thinking we might get a road bike, is that the way to go for an indoor trainer, or does it really not matter? I guess playing Zwift it will match the aesthetic better with a roadie.

What kind of bikes do you have now? What groupset? The Kickr is a pretty sophisticated kit and if you just wanted something for riding indoors you could have saved yourself A LOT of money.

Just did a trainer session at 90% FTP. Turned out to be pretty much everything I have to give. I reckon I've lost about 9-10% FTP, which I'm pretty gutted about. Hopefully it comes back faster than it took to get last time.

kottila

Diagnosed with overreaching by my physio after two/three weeks where my legs felt like concrete and I wasn't able to push myself at all. Sucks when the weather is finally turning and you're only "allowed" to do three short easy rides a week (and I'm leaving for the alps in 3 weeks)

From the ones i test rode i liked this one the best:

Haibike big curve 9.40

anyone having this model? Brand?

Looking at the specs, the only iffy part is the coil sprung fork. If you're around the recommended weight of the spring it's ok, but if not it'll be too soft or too firm. You can change the spring, but an easily adjustable air fork is a much better deal all around. You'd have to go up to 9.60 to get that.

I used to think it's not a big deal, but I rode a coil spring in Cyprus and being a big guy the thing flopped halfway down just by virtue of me sitting on the bike. I had to keep the fork locked out for the duration.

No way you get a decent air fork for that sort of money. XCM isn't great, but it's not terrible.

What's overreaching kottila? Overtraining?

No way you get a decent air fork for that sort of money. XCM isn't great, but it's not terrible.

What's overreaching kottila? Overtraining?

9.60 refers to the model with air fork, not kebab money. :p

Also, you'll be happy to know that I went again on the jimmy, this time with a friend. We both had short lycra shorts because hell yeah.

Looking at the specs, the only iffy part is the coil sprung fork. If you're around the recommended weight of the spring it's ok, but if not it'll be too soft or too firm. You can change the spring, but an easily adjustable air fork is a much better deal all around. You'd have to go up to 9.60 to get that.

I used to think it's not a big deal, but I rode a coil spring in Cyprus and being a big guy the thing flopped halfway down just by virtue of me sitting on the bike. I had to keep the fork locked out for the duration.

yeah i remember the guy at the shop mentioning that the fork is only ok/average. Thanks to your explanation i know now why.
Where can i find the recommended weight? (I am 150 pounds.)

Just got my Bad Boy 1 / 2015. So nice, but since my only comparison is a 100$ race bike from 1992 i guess any bike would feel super nice to me. Had to fiddle around with the brakes since the front wheel squealed like a pig and i was flabbergasted that the brakes needed a "break in". Would only like to change the seat - anyone familiar with the Brooks CAMBIUM C17?

abdc0b-1433441361.jpg

Whoever designed the integrated headlight needs to get fired! It illuminates the sky and shines right in my face :/ - non adjustable. WAT?!?

Nice bike. I have the C17. I love it. I don't know what more there is to say. I literally never even think about saddle pain since I bought it. Looks great too.

Diagnosed with overreaching by my physio after two/three weeks where my legs felt like concrete and I wasn't able to push myself at all. Sucks when the weather is finally turning and you're only "allowed" to do three short easy rides a week (and I'm leaving for the alps in 3 weeks)

Well, look at it this way: The alternative is to ride too hard now and then not ride in the Alps at all.

Lorcain

I'm in the process of downsizing my bike stable from 3 bikes to just 1. I'd like to get a bike that I can do fast rides on mostly paved roads/trails for fitness, but also be able to handle some gravel and dirt. We have good, scenic gravel trails nearby.

The local bike shops in my area are pushing the Trek Crossrip. I've also looked at the Specalized Diverge and AWOL, which seem to be in that niche too. Any recommendations on a good all around, paved/gravel bike?

Not sure what you're looking to pay, but when I was looking I had the following in my list.

Specialized Tricross Sport Disc (I think this is the Crux now)
Cannondale CAADX Disc
Canyon Inflite AL 9.0

Similar sorts of bike to what you're looking at. That Diverge looks pretty good though. I'd say the Awol is a bit too gravel focussed.

I wouldn't go as far as 2-3mm, because they'll just fray. You can trim them though.

I'd like to know why they didn't put crimps on the end though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I wouldn't go as far as 2-3mm, because they'll just fray. You can trim them though.

I'd like to know why they didn't put crimps on the end though.

I'm not sure either. Was disappointed when I saw they hadn't. I'll just trim them down a bit and put some electrical tape on the ends.

SunTour made Fuji-branded derailleurs in the 80s?

Funky.

Yep! Suntour gear shifts and all that.

senahorse

What kind of bikes do you have now? What groupset? The Kickr is a pretty sophisticated kit and if you just wanted something for riding indoors you could have saved yourself A LOT of money.

I have a Giant XTC Composite 29er 1 (Shimano XT groupset), gf has a Trek Skye SLX (SRAM groupset). We wanted to get a resistance trainer with some smarts, that you can put into simulation mode for mimicking incline resistance and something that plugs into Zwift (while getting feedback on power etc), the Kickr seemed to be the best (albeit expensive) for that. We also would like to use some of our regular rides and practice those when we can't ride them for real due to weather, time etc. At this point we are thinking of using a Trek 7.2 as a dedicated trainer bike, and put the cassette from that onto the kickr.

edit: FIXED :D

Found the problem, no need to get another bike. When I was doing all my research on the Kickr, it always mentioned how it came with a 10 speed cassette and so that's what I assumed. I was doing some more reading this morning, right before going out to get another bike... And I came across a Kickr page that mentioned the Kickr can come with a 10 speed OR an 11 speed cassette, I went and had a look and sure enough, it has an 11 speed cassette grrrr. I spoke to the LBS where I bought it and they informed me, newer Kickrs now have an 11 speed cassette. Quick trip to the LBS, bought a 10 speed cassette, wacked it on, put a bike on there, and bam, it fits like a glove, smooth gear changes through every gear :D /rookie mistake

I gave it a quick test with the wahoo fitness app to make sure it's working and all I can say is wow at the level of control you have over this thing. You can simulate incline, wind speed, straight up resistance or put it in ERG mode which allows you to set a power target and it will adjust the resistance as needed. This thing can offer some crazy levels of resistance, I got into a good riding rhythm and turned up the resistance to 90% where I was having trouble peddling using even the easiest gear (22 up front and 36 rear) , turned up a couple of more notches and I had to stop haha. Next to load up Zwift :)

Mascot

Right, no more doing daft or potentially-dangerous things on my MTB from now on - my neck has stiffened up once again after my front flip from a couple of days ago. Bah.

dannyglovertoooldforthisshit.gif

Found the problem, no need to get another bike. When I was doing all my research on the Kickr, it always mentioned how it came with a 10 speed cassette and so that's what I assumed. I was doing some more reading this morning, right before going out to get another bike... And I came across a Kickr page that mentioned the Kickr can come with a 10 speed OR an 11 speed cassette, I went and had a look and sure enough, it has an 11 speed cassette grrrr. I spoke to the LBS where I bought it and they informed me, newer Kickrs now have an 11 speed cassette. Quick trip to the LBS, bought a 10 speed cassette, wacked it on, put a bike on there, and bam, it fits like a glove, smooth gear changes through every gear :D /rookie mistake

I gave it a quick test with the wahoo fitness app to make sure it's working and all I can say is wow at the level of control you have over this thing. You can simulate incline, wind speed, straight up resistance or put it in ERG mode which allows you to set a power target and it will adjust the resistance as needed. This thing can offer some crazy levels of resistance, I got into a good riding rhythm and turned up the resistance to 90% where I was having trouble peddling using even the easiest gear (22 up front and 36 rear) , turned up a couple of more notches and I had to stop haha. Next to load up Zwift :)

Ah yeah, the cassette thing is the one negative I've read for the Kickr (and people with Campy shifters). ERG mode is going to be your best option if you plan to use it with TrainerRoad (worth the $10 a month). ERG will keep the power steady even as your legs begin to weaken. I currently have a Kurt Kinetic Road and am really contemplating selling it and grabbing the Kickr. I've been having a lot of issues with TR handling virtual power and wouldn't mind the ease of just taking a wheel off (currently swapping wheels).

Granadier

Well, the seat adjustment tube on my bike is seized. I dripped some oil into the side of it, but it would not let loose. The saddle came off before the tube itself freed up.

Hrrmpf.

I've been having a lot of issues with TR handling virtual power and wouldn't mind the ease of just taking a wheel off (currently swapping wheels).

Could just buy another (crappy) wheel, that's what I did before I had a spare bike for it.

Also, a cheaper option than a Kickr would probably be the InRide... that, or hell, even a power meter.

Gray Matter

Feels good to be back on the bike after a couple weeks. 25 miles so far, should be about 30 by the time I get home.

Edit: 30.7 miles total for today. My first official 30 miles in one ride. Very proud of that.

senahorse

Ah yeah, the cassette thing is the one negative I've read for the Kickr (and people with Campy shifters). ERG mode is going to be your best option if you plan to use it with TrainerRoad (worth the $10 a month). ERG will keep the power steady even as your legs begin to weaken. I currently have a Kurt Kinetic Road and am really contemplating selling it and grabbing the Kickr. I've been having a lot of issues with TR handling virtual power and wouldn't mind the ease of just taking a wheel off (currently swapping wheels).

I definitely want to give TR a go, I have heard great things about it. For now I am just missing around with Zwift, a pro is it's free at the moment :). I really like having the instant feedback (I currently have the kickr for resistance and power meter, heart rate sensor and cadence sensor) and dynamically changing resistance due to elevation and surface.

Here it is all setup:

dLze5fOAi07poJJrAbyoSvk-Q5UG4eKUpQau187oOhw=w892-h670-no

and here is a closer look at the interface:

Ev0mu6lePNtEMA1QflvLfw.jpeg

Just the one track at the moment but this game has some real potential, they have really gameified it as well by having achievements you can unlock for PR's, fastest segments, laps, drafting etc, which in turn gives you jerseys or bikes and other gear :).

Also to anyone else wanting to try it (you can use standard trainers), Zwift has now gone into open beta, free for everyone :D.

Granadier

What are some good budget saddles? I've heard that Brooks are really nice, but $130 is out of my price range.

College student, maybe something $60 tops.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Been out riding today. Went to Munichs Olympiapark and there was an mtb race/downhill event going on. I drove alongside the track and into the "pitstop" area. The amount of disc squealing all around me was highly amusing. These guys/girls are crazy fast.

Now i lust for a mtb. Damn it.

Stryder

I definitely want to give TR a go, I have heard great things about it. For now I am just missing around with Zwift, a pro is it's free at the moment :). I really like having the instant feedback (I currently have the kickr for resistance and power meter, heart rate sensor and cadence sensor) and dynamically changing resistance due to elevation and surface.[/B].
Nice one!

I've been playing around on Zwift for a few weeks now and it's pretty fun. I have enjoyed spinning around the island and trying to go for the KOM and sprint jerseys when those opportunities come up.

I have signed up a trainer road as well and have been following a plan (loosely!) on that for the past couple of weeks as well, and the great thing is.. you can have your trainer/power meter/hr monitor hooked up to both apps at once so long as you have two ANT+ dongles connected to your PC. I've been playing Zwift with trainerroad overlayed on top but unfortunately all this does is have me watch the numbers in Zwift more rather than the game area. Oh, I should mention I'm not using a smart trainer with resistance control.. it probably wouldn't work as well with both trainer road and Zwift attempting to control the resistance.

I think in the future I will probably do just one or the other. Using trainer road means that I totally ignore the game element of Zwift and am essentially just clocking up miles towards rewards in the background (still worth doing!).

Until Zwift incorporate some structured workouts I probably won't spend too much time on it unless I feel like a casual spin and the weather is bad outside, quite fun but I bought the trainer to improve my fitness and trainer road does a much better job of that than Zwift at this stage.

Really looking forward to seeing what they introduce though, some great potential for competitive workouts and fostering a strong community around it.

Top Bottom