• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

Regarding trainers, all Tacx Smart trainers have recently been updated to use other software. So you can use Trainerroad, Zwift, Bkool and Kinomap on them, and other software compatible with the ANT+ FE-C protocol in the future.

Stryder

Regarding trainers, all Tacx Smart trainers have recently been updated to use other software. So you can use Trainerroad, Zwift, Bkool and Kinomap on them, and other software compatible with the ANT+ FE-C protocol in the future.
Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Makes me wonder if I'd been better off going for the Bushido rather than the Satori but I'm happy with the purchase nevertheless.

Gray Matter

I've realized that I need some bike shorts. The ones at the shop near me are rather pricy, are there any good online places where I can find relatively good brands at a decent price?

Jay Sosa

Hello CycleGAF

Looking for a (used) roadbike and stumbled across this one:

070_318432514.jpg

Shimano Ultegra/Ritchey Pro/Bontrager/Giant PR 2

It's a Trek Alpha SL Aluminum form 2003 I think (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2003/archive/trek/2000/#/us/en/archive-model/details?url=us/en/bikes/2003/archive/trek/2000. Owner wants 480€ for it.

Any good and worth the price?

And no, the cat's not included.

TIA

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Charge saddles. Excellent. No idea if they do them in the US though.

Thanks! I looked online and found them sold through an Amazon seller. That price is stellar.

Before I pull the trigger on one, do these saddles work without bike shorts? I have a pretty damn boney ass.

Before I pull the trigger on one, do these saddles work without bike shorts? I have a pretty damn boney ass.

I'd say so, yes. They're not massively padded, but they're pretty soft. You'll soon HTFU anyway. ;)

Unrelated... managed to get through a stop start 4 hour ride today without my knee exploding. Hard to tell if it's representative of what will happen with a non stop four hour ride, but if nothing else I don't think I've done any more major damage to it today, which is a bonus.

Granadier

I'd say so, yes. They're not massively padded, but they're pretty soft. You'll soon HTFU anyway. ;)

Unrelated... managed to get through a stop start 4 hour ride today without my knee exploding. Hard to tell if it's representative of what will happen with a non stop four hour ride, but if nothing else I don't think I've done any more major damage to it today, which is a bonus.

Should I just mount a slab of granite to the seat post then? :p

I had to pass on the Charge for now and go with a cheap, cushier one from the local shop. Charge is next on my list though when I replace this one after getting more familiar with cycling.

So I think it's time I accepted that I'm going to need a full bouncer. I was hammering some seriously rocky sections as best I could, but I got utterly smashed to pieces. Managed to stay with / beat some riders on full suspension bikes, but it's taking more and more out of me to work at that level.

Though I'm tempted to try yet another new fork first.

I've started going out on my dads really old Raleigh (R100 lol) road bike and I've been thinking of getting one for myself, but I can't decide between a road broke or a mountain bike though. I've always had mountain bikes in the past.

Not sure how much I should spend either. Has anyone got any opinions on the following?

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-50-2015-hybrid-bike-ec108160

The answer is never a hybrid bike. If you do road mostly, get a road bike. If you do trail, get a trail bike. Decide, and we'll be here to help. :)

senahorse

Nice one!

I've been playing around on Zwift for a few weeks now and it's pretty fun. I have enjoyed spinning around the island and trying to go for the KOM and sprint jerseys when those opportunities come up.

I have signed up a trainer road as well and have been following a plan (loosely!) on that for the past couple of weeks as well, and the great thing is.. you can have your trainer/power meter/hr monitor hooked up to both apps at once so long as you have two ANT+ dongles connected to your PC. I've been playing Zwift with trainerroad overlayed on top but unfortunately all this does is have me watch the numbers in Zwift more rather than the game area. Oh, I should mention I'm not using a smart trainer with resistance control.. it probably wouldn't work as well with both trainer road and Zwift attempting to control the resistance.

I think in the future I will probably do just one or the other. Using trainer road means that I totally ignore the game element of Zwift and am essentially just clocking up miles towards rewards in the background (still worth doing!).

Until Zwift incorporate some structured workouts I probably won't spend too much time on it unless I feel like a casual spin and the weather is bad outside, quite fun but I bought the trainer to improve my fitness and trainer road does a much better job of that than Zwift at this stage.

Really looking forward to seeing what they introduce though, some great potential for competitive workouts and fostering a strong community around it.

Thanks for the update on what you're doing, very interesting. I really do want to give Trainer Road a go but for now I think I will just keep doing laps of Zwift until I get bored of it. Hopefully structured workouts do come to it sooner rather than later.

I struggle to see the point of Zwift. If I'm cycling for fun then I'm going to go outdoors. If I'm training then I want to be sure I'm training to a specific level / target.

Edit - Madness. I was just looking at the ride my nephew and I did yesterday and he was moving for an entire hour longer than me. I spent lots of time waiting for him after hills / descents, but I had no idea it was that long.

Could just buy another (crappy) wheel, that's what I did before I had a spare bike for it.

Also, a cheaper option than a Kickr would probably be the InRide... that, or hell, even a power meter.

Have an inRide but the damn thing is a pain in the buns to get working properly. Also have a spare wheel I swap on and off. I just have been wanting a Kickr for ERG mode which I can't get on my KK Road.

Just takes a spindown after warmup doesn't it? As for ERG, it's interesting, but to be honest I don't really think it would add much to my training.

I've realized that I need some bike shorts. The ones at the shop near me are rather pricy, are there any good online places where I can find relatively good brands at a decent price?

I can usually find some good deals at the local Goodwill because the people there have no idea what they're looking at so they're priced at like $10 for a pair of shorts. That said, if I go to a Goodwill in Portland the prices is usually 2 to 3 times that because, well, it's Portland and they know people will pay it. Found a really nice Twin 6 jersey yesterday that was only $12.99 and since it had a purple tag it was half off.

Shorts are harder to find because you can't just look at them and tell like you can with a jersey, so you look like a perve feeling the crotches of all of the shorts. :/

Mascot

I can usually find some good deals at the local Goodwill because the people there have no idea what they're looking at so they're priced at like $10 for a pair of shorts. That said, if I go to a Goodwill in Portland the prices is usually 2 to 3 times that because, well, it's Portland and they know people will pay it. Found a really nice Twin 6 jersey yesterday that was only $12.99 and since it had a purple tag it was half off.

Shorts are harder to find because you can't just look at them and tell like you can with a jersey, so you look like a perve feeling the crotches of all of the shorts. :/

Goodwill = second-hand charity shop? As in someone else has ground their cheesy balls and sweaty ass directly onto the chamois?

Isn't that like buying second-hand underwear (and not in a good way, like from a Tokyo vending machine)?

Well, that does happen. I forgot a sentence: "Most donated bike stuff I've found still had tags on it, like a Castelli jersey I found or a Nike long sleeve jersey I grabbed last week. I won't buy a used chamois, but the jerseys at least wash out."

Mascot

Well, that does happen. I forgot a sentence: "Most donated bike stuff I've found still had tags on it, like a Castelli jersey I found or a Nike long sleeve jersey I grabbed last week."

Mmm. Still sounds like yellow-fronted brownbacks to me.

I could never wear another man's cycle pant.

cjp

The answer is never a hybrid bike. If you do road mostly, get a road bike. If you do trail, get a trail bike. Decide, and we'll be here to help. :)

I guess it's a jack of all trades master of none issue?

Thanks! I'll go back to looking.

Just takes a spindown after warmup doesn't it? As for ERG, it's interesting, but to be honest I don't really think it would add much to my training.

It is, but there are a lot of complaints about it on their site. It seems to work more reliably with the iPhone than it does the computer. Right now I use a computer hooked up to my projector for workouts + video. If I go to using my phone I'll have to think of a way to get my phone/ipad situated in front of me.

I guess it's a jack of all trades master of none issue?

Thanks! I'll go back to looking.

In general hybrid bikes like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Third-Avenue-Women-s-Hybrid-Bike-Plum/29315351) are bad values. They're heavy, cheap parts and despite looking it aren't very well suited for trails. Hybrids like this (http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/traverse-13-disc) are a better value if you need an in-between. Personally, I would go for a cross style road bike over a more mountain style bike if I was planning to do both terrains (assuming you're not planning to bomb hills and stumps in the trails).

It is, but there are a lot of complaints about it on their site. It seems to work more reliably with the iPhone than it does the computer. Right now I use a computer hooked up to my projector for workouts + video. If I go to using my phone I'll have to think of a way to get my phone/ipad situated in front of me.

Odd. I've been tempted to get one for a while (I use mine with my computer), but I'm a bit put off now. Hmm.

I was just talking to a friend of mine that uses Strava, but hadn't heard of Veloviewer ( http://veloviewer.com ). If you use Strava a lot, you should really give Veloviewer a go. It's got some many features that it utterly embarrasses Strava by comparison.

I especially like being able to see just how far I am ahead of / behind my friends on all of the segments we've both done.

Mascot

minx

I am looking for a hybrid bike to take on pavement, light gravel and dirt trails. This bike would mostly be for summer weekends with most likely no more than 20 miles at a time. $500 being my upper budget but would like to spend in the 3 hundreds (used) because I don't see the point of spending more considering I won't be using it that much. However I would like it to last me as long as possible (20 years?)

I'm looking used right now. I have looked into the Trek FX series, Fuji Traverse, Schwinn Searcher. Used is kind of tricky though because of 23" frame needed.

My current bike is a Trek 820 from like 1998 just to give an exa example or what I'm used to.

Seem to get this question a lot... and the first question back is "what sort of dirt trails?". Because in reality if it's not got a lot of rocks, drops or roots then realistically you don't need suspension.

Lorcain

Not sure what you're looking to pay, but when I was looking I had the following in my list.

Specialized Tricross Sport Disc (I think this is the Crux now)
Cannondale CAADX Disc
Canyon Inflite AL 9.0

Similar sorts of bike to what you're looking at. That Diverge looks pretty good though. I'd say the Awol is a bit too gravel focussed.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've narrowed my search to the CAADX 105 Disc, Specialized AWOL and Salsa Fargo 3.

My LBS is doing a 20% off sale on Cannondales, so I could get a CAADX 105 for around $1160 US. I'm going to test ride it today.

The AWOL is around $1350 but with Shimano Sora shifters. The ride position is very comfortable.

I'm thinking the Salsa Fargo would be overkill for my needs since I don't have a lot of really good off road areas to explore nearby. It's a very cool bike though, and comfortable.

kottila

Went on a short ride and decided to see if roadies actually do look like ad posters. In our city I saw maybe two or three club uniforms and the rest wore discreet clothing, mainly castelli (sold by xxl, thr biggest sports chain in the nordic countries). Myth busted

In my experience it depends where you're riding. If you hit up the popular routes (usually well outside of cities) then you see more of the billboards. In cities you mostly get people just getting from place to place / commuters.

Unrelated, decided to try (part of) a training session at 100% to see how my knee held up. Didn't have any obvious problems. Will try a full session at 100% next week or the week after to see how I get on.

Granadier

First day taking my bike to work. It was hot as hell and humid, but damn was it nice to just bike there in the fresh air. I need to continue doing this forever.

Holy shit that was a hard session on the trainer. Had some knee pain around 1:20in, but it didn't matter, because everywhere hurt by 1:40. 2hrs fasted at that intensity... too much. For now at least.

Stryder

Do I bite on another jersey? I keep finding the two that I own are in the wash more often than not now. Scared I'm going to need to go for a ride and only have a sweaty option available.

Jerseys you can definitely wear multiple times before washing, but I do like having a variety of them.

Anyone have recommendations for trailer hitch racks? I'm not fond of trunk mounted ones as the bikes can move pretty freely if there is a good enough wind.

Anyone have recommendations for trailer hitch racks? I'm not fond of trunk mounted ones as the bikes can move pretty freely if there is a good enough wind.

Atera Strada DL
Buzz Rack Cruiser
Thule EuroClassic G6 LED 929
Thule EasyFold 932
Mont Blanc MB BikeCarrier TowQuick

There are tons out there. Read around for reviews.

If I was buying one right now it would be the Thule 929.

Do I bite on another jersey? I keep finding the two that I own are in the wash more often than not now. Scared I'm going to need to go for a ride and only have a sweaty option available.

That's why you put your sweaty jersey under a running warm water tap for 30 seconds after a ride and hang it out to dry. Nothing worse than having to wear stinky sweat infested clothing while out on the bike.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Atera Strada DL
Buzz Rack Cruiser
Thule EuroClassic G6 LED 929
Thule EasyFold 932
Mont Blanc MB BikeCarrier TowQuick

There are tons out there. Read around for reviews.

If I was buying one right now it would be the Thule 929.

That's the one I use. Is actually really easy to mount and dismount to the hitch so I don't need to keep it on the car.

Top Bottom