• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

inm8num2

Had a really nice 15-miler yesterday. Only two kids on their bikes almost hit me due to using their smartphones and not paying attention - that's a record low for this spring/summer season. ;)

Let's talk mapmyride. The app on my ipod was working for me pretty well but due to a not-walways-there GPS the routes looked a little janky. For example, it completely lost signal halfway home and didn't get caught up until a mile away so my top/average speeds were astounding. So I switched to the Android version of the app because I have a tablet with a dedicated GPS antenna. The routes are a lot cleaner, and I've only lost signal once, but the app appears to be 'less' than the IOS one.

First: the app is a full two digits behind the IOS version. On top of that, features that I liked in the IOS version (i.e delay start setting so you can push 'go' and then put everything away before it starts recording) are missing from the Android version.

Second: the app always says my routes are public, but when I check the mapmyride site it says everything is limited to friends only. Who do I believe?

Finally: I left my cateye on the bike and the disparity between it and the GPS is negligible when it comes to distance, but the average speed is way off. Like, 3-4 mph off. Is it because the cateye turns itself off every time I stop?

Mascot

First ride for ages this evening, just a gentle 22 miles or so. Neck was still a bit stiff at the start but HOLY BASTARD my lower back is aching like a mofo now. I can barely move. No idea why.

I'm guessing it's the steak and donuts.

I'm lucky at the moment, whilst my lower half is injured, my upper half is (for once) still working ok. Means at least I can do my weights.

/skipped leg day

Gray Matter

Today's ride was great. Went to a beautiful park that I haven't visited in a few years, still beautiful as always. Also, finally bought some bike shorts, a little over my price limit but I think it'll be worth it when I go riding 20+ miles.

Stryder

After umming and ahhing over various jerseys on Wiggle a 20% discount code for Rapha arrived in my inbox. Wasn't planning on spending money on Rapha but after a little delibaration I've checked out with a Lightweight bundle (lightweight bibshorts, super lightweight jersey, cap and socks) at £100 off overall (you get a 20% discount for the bundle and 20% off with the code). Not too shabby, now we just need some consistently warm weather here in the UK!

First ride for ages this evening, just a gentle 22 miles or so. Neck was still a bit stiff at the start but HOLY BASTARD my lower back is aching like a mofo now. I can barely move. No idea why.

Your core is weak. Cycling uses all the muscles in that immediate area: lower back, glutes, hams, quads, hips, etc. You gotta keep them loose and strong or else you'll get soreness early on. It should go away after a few rides as your body readjusts.

NimbusD

My merino long sleeve was $90 from Rapha, which is a good price IMO. I only got one because the fabric is also great at preventing stink build up. I've only had to wash it once since getting it and I probably wore it over 20 times. Either on rides or post workout to keep my body from going from hot to cold immediately.

Rapha has their t-shirts on sale for $60 right now http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-t-shirt/product/CNS01 (and other "City" stuff). As I said, one shirt can probably last you all week before needing a wash if you just need something for to-from work.

Bought that Merino Rapha shirt (got yellow and I regret it, shows sweat too easily, which I do a lot of). Great shirt! How do you guys wash Merino stuff though? I'm probably gonna just hand wash but the care says not to leave wet so beats me.

Holy poop, I was completely unaware that there was a huge network of high quality trails right next to my place of work. From pump sections to bermed turns to rocky climbs and gnarly descents.

And a family of badgers that got a shock of their life when I rode past. And a freaking snake. But no mushrooms.

Lorcain

In my search for a do-it-all kind of bike, I read a lot of positive feedback about Salsa. I found a good Salsa dealer nearby, and spent a couple of hours there 2 nights ago test riding bikes.

They were very cool letting me test ride on a paved rail-trail near the shop and onto some connecting gravel trails. I really, really liked the Salsa Fargo. Man, that's a cool bike. It was surprisingly comfortable. It's a bit overkill for me though.

After the Fargo I tested the Salsa Vaya 3. I took it on the paved rail-trail and then onto some of the connecting crushed gravel trails. It handled both terrain types really well. It's also a very comfortable bike, stable bike. 700x40 tires I think.

I tried the Surly Straggler too. It has a more aggressive riding position than the Salsa bikes, which may be good for some, but it was a negative for me. It's pretty fast for an adventure type bike. I didn't like how often I kept getting toe overlap on the Straggler. It was fun to ride, just not the best fit for me.

Despite not really needing the Fargo, it was a tough choice between the two Salsa bikes. I ended up going with the Salsa Vaya. I should be able to pick it up next week.

When I was looking to get a new bike the Vaya 2 was at the top of my list. I ended up going a different direction - mostly due to price - but if I won the lottery that's the first bike I'd buy.

CvGz

Neo Member
I didn't know there was a BikeGAF!! Roadie here. Currently two in my stable: A Cannondale CAAD10 10 speed SRAM Rival and a fixed gear bike. My N+1th bike might be a CX bike or maybe MTB. Nice to know there's a bike community here.

Gray Matter

Bill was right, now that I have ridden with some proper bike shorts I cannot go without them now. My ass has never felt better while riding a bike.

Lorcain

When I'm pedaling hard on a fitness ride, and someone blows past me doing mach 2, they usually have calves the size of my thighs. It's amazing how well developed the thighs and calves are on regular cyclists.

I spend most of my exercise time running and training for half-marathons, and then switch over to riding in the summer months when it's brutal hot out. So I always feel at a disadvantage when trying to keep up with all year round riders. I look like I have chicken legs next to them.

t-ramp

Anyone use Strava?
Yep: https://www.strava.com/clubs/bikegaf

Took most of the week off myself, partly because of the weather and also because I did my first 100km ride Monday morning. It was actually pretty great, as my legs held up fine and I just needed to stand up for a few seconds occasionally to relieve my aching behind.

I did get attacked by a bird twice, though. The first time I heard scratching on my helmet twice, but didn't immediately know what happened. Then, coming back, it happened again, and I watched my shadow as the damn thing flew after my head. Luckily it gave up pretty quickly.

I then rode 20 miles on Tuesday, and wasn't feeling too hot, so I figured a few days off the bike wouldn't hurt. I'll probably get back out tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Mascot

Your core is weak. Cycling uses all the muscles in that immediate area: lower back, glutes, hams, quads, hips, etc. You gotta keep them loose and strong or else you'll get soreness early on. It should go away after a few rides as your body readjusts.
It was only about ten days or so since my last ride so I don't think that's the reason. I normally ride 3-4 times a week all year round, average 25 miles each ride off road. And this ride was pretty gentle, no jumps (well, no big ones). This felt (still feels) like tender bruising with stiffness, like after being punched in the kidneys. Never had it before in 25+ years of mountain biking.

I'm thinking it's either related to recent neck joint problems or maybe a mild kidney infection.

Just did ~7 hours on very technical terrain. Am trying to work out a new pedal stroke that doesn't trigger this knee problem. I think I have something, but it's massively hard on my hips, specifically the muscle right at the front of them.

Still, my knee didn't explode, so something must be right.

Someone up north had put up sharpened rebar because he didn't like cyclists. I don't think the police ever found out who it was.

Around here crazy people just drag fallen trees to block mtb trails.

thomaser

TOxODmp46DJWzeWQG-fhV15wBksPXE9fgGP0XO6cjuE=w1215-h911-no

First ride since I came back from Italy almost two weeks ago. Colder. Wetter. Not as much gelato. But still nice!

Rbk_3

Yep: https://www.strava.com/clubs/bikegaf

Took most of the week off myself, partly because of the weather and also because I did my first 100km ride Monday morning. It was actually pretty great, as my legs held up fine and I just needed to stand up for a few seconds occasionally to relieve my aching behind.

I did get attacked by a bird twice, though. The first time I heard scratching on my helmet twice, but didn't immediately know what happened. Then, coming back, it happened again, and I watched my shadow as the damn thing flew after my head. Luckily it gave up pretty quickly.

I then rode 20 miles on Tuesday, and wasn't feeling too hot, so I figured a few days off the bike wouldn't hurt. I'll probably get back out tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Sent a request to join

Ok, so I went full jimmy and bought roadie shoes and pedals (SPD-SL). Can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

Any tips on aligning the cleats? The shapes of the cleat components are so complex that small differences in position become invisible.

Yeah, get someone else to do it. I fucked mine up because I rushed it and I still haven't recovered from the damage it did to my knee.

Most people can get away fine with having them slightly off, but not everyone.

teepo

i'd be less worried about your feet and more worried about the damage you'll be doing to both your bike and your body from the falls that are guaranteed to occur when adjusting to the clipless life

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am sick of encountering rude packs of road cyclists on our main trail (Burke Gilman) who ride three abreast and never pack up. Get in lane you stupid shits. There are kids, joggers and strollers on this trail and no portion of your five thousand dollar carbon bike purchase counts toward a private lane. Also you are an IT manager, not Lance Armstrong.

i'd be less worried about your feet and more worried about the damage you'll be doing to both your bike and your body from the falls that are guaranteed to occur when adjusting to the clipless life

I only fell twice in fifteen years, both times were in the adjustment phase. Just plain forgot.

First time on my road bike in about a month after trying to ride Mt. Baldy during the Tour of California. Been mostly lifting and running since then. About 42 miles, some hills...good times, yo.

Top Bottom