• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Was tough, but raised a good bit of money for charity, so it felt pretty good in the end.

...and yeah, TrainerRoad is great. Has made me into a much better rider, and has taken my nephew from being unable to do 10 miles without being wrecked, do doing 40 miles plus (off road).

40 miles off road is serious

I was going to try Knights of Sufferlandia, but I can't be on a bike indoors beyond 90 minutes. I start cracking around and hour and hitting 90 is a challenge.

There was a big psychological aspect involved. The longest I'd gone previously was three hours, and I wanted to remove my own skull to escape the tedium.

Mascot

Cracking 24-miler around the woods after work this afternoon. Managed to get my earbuds ripped out by a selfish branch on a fast descent. Could I find them afterwards? Could I fuck. Still - good ride.

Oregon is giving away seven bikes this summer.

http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/...n&utm_medium=HomeBanner&utm_campaign=7Wonders

I just want to warn anyone here who wants to try for the Crater Lake bike: I will cut you. I looked at the builder's website and his titanium frames go to $3000, and the gruppo is just about the same, never minding the Rolf Prima wheelset. Fine looking bike.

I would try for the Mt. Hood bike (it's only 1.5 hours away, after all) but prior commitments have me on the coast this weekend. Ah well.

Well I'll be damned, the road shoes and pedals must be working because my average speed has gone up noticeably. That or I had a really good rest last week, which is unlikely given that I had barely any sleep.

Oregon is giving away seven bikes this summer.

http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/...n&utm_medium=HomeBanner&utm_campaign=7Wonders

I just want to warn anyone here who wants to try for the Crater Lake bike: I will cut you. I looked at the builder's website and his titanium frames go to $3000, and the gruppo is just about the same, never minding the Rolf Prima wheelset. Fine looking bike.

I would try for the Mt. Hood bike (it's only 1.5 hours away, after all) but prior commitments have me on the coast this weekend. Ah well.

That is a fantastic idea! Wish I could take part! But i just got a 29er that I am fixing, so I am good.

Cracking 24-miler around the woods after work this afternoon. Managed to get my earbuds ripped out by a selfish branch on a fast descent. Could I find them afterwards? Could I fuck. Still - good ride.
Lost a £30 multitool and a set of tyre levers when my saddle bag zip opened on me the other day. Same day some wanker tree fucked up my waterproof jacket. :(

Well I'll be damned, the road shoes and pedals must be working because my average speed has gone up noticeably. That or I had a really good rest last week, which is unlikely given that I had barely any sleep.

Shoes probably helping a bit, but oddly enough I've had some of my best performances after very little sleep.

Mascot

Lost a £30 multitool and a set of tyre levers when my saddle bag zip opened on me the other day.

Yeah, my multitool, tyre levers,spoke spanner and some money escaped through a rip in my old saddlebag recently. Was glad I replaced and restocked it today - my headset got very loose ten miles from home.

The singlespeed has developed a creak while putting in the power out of saddle. Sounds like the front wheel spokes are creaking. I'm gonna try lubing where they cross each other to see if it's that.

Decent 5 hour ride in the South Downs today. Was stop and start because I was with my nephew, but my knee didn't explode, nor really tweak more than a few times. I'm going to take that as progress and try to build slowly on it.

Just realized a bridge is re-open which means I can link up certain routes again. Can't wait to revisiting this morning view:
HdMsb9o.png

thomaser

Found out today that one of the best local cyclists around here had an accident a week ago while mountainbiking in Gran Canaria. He broke his neck, and is now paralyzed from the chest down :-( Super-active guy, father of 4, mid-30s. Just a reminder to be careful out there.

Yeah, it's a constant risk. Everyone is due a major crash at some point or another, the question is how lucky (or well armoured) you are when it happens.

Mascot

Found out today that one of the best local cyclists around here had an accident a week ago while mountainbiking in Gran Canaria. He broke his neck, and is now paralyzed from the chest down :-( Super-active guy, father of 4, mid-30s. Just a reminder to be careful out there.

Shit. Stuff like this both frightens and saddens me in equal measures. I made a decision recently to stop all the batshit crazy stuff and just generally calm down a bit on the trails. Didn't stop me wiping out trying to bunnyhop a fallen tree and (reasonably gently) bashing my head against an upright one on Friday though.

andylsun

Some vacation leanage. In Old England (as opposed to New England where I live) visiting my parents.

Rented a bike and it's lovely to ride here. Cycle ways are numerous and it's a beautiful part of the world. The sailing is pretty good too.

CxWHiGXl.jpg

Edit: mapmyride+ doesn't seem to work offline anymore. Can't use it in England with my phone in airplane mode.

Also Apple Warch is fantastic for tracking distance time and heart rate but the workout app doesn't track routes. If I use strava the apple watch activity app still tracks things too?

Bikegaf strava member application in!

Lorcain

I did a 20 mile paved rail-trail ride on my new Salsa Vaya yesterday. So far it's been a good compromise between comfortable touring bike and gravel bike. It came with Schwalbe 700x40 tires, which work well on pretty much any surface I ride on. It's certainly heavy and slower than a carbon frame road bike, but it can still move pretty well.

One thing I didn't expect was the small attention to detail on the bike. Little small touches all over the place. I especially like the detailing on the drop down bars and the stem. It almost looks like a custom bike.

I ordered a tangle bag from Revelate Designs to hang from the top bar. That should be enough storage for my longer day rides.

Lorcain

What kind of Vaya? Ti, Travel, 2, or 3?
It's a Vaya 3 with the dark green frame. It has a Shimano Sora groupset, which isn't as smooth shifting as the 105 set I had on the road bike I sold, but it's still decent.

My understanding is that the frame design and material is the same as the Vaya 2.

The Ti looked awesome, but it was well outside of my budget.

thomaser

Is Continental Race King a good all-round tire for mtbs? It's by far the best selling tire in my local shops. It seems to be mostly for gravel and asphalt, but can it work in gnarly/rooty places and marshes/mud as well?

I'd personally go Schwalbe Rocket Ron (Snakeskin version). Race Kings puncture a ridiculous amount, half the people I see stopped on events have those fitted and I ended up throwing mine out as I was sick of having to patch tubes.

Unrelated, my left leg is brown after the weekend's event... my right leg is still ivory white. Very strange.

I like the Conti Mountain King II I just put on my 29er. It seems to grab the dirt and roll over roots without slipping much. On my 26 inch Enduro and am loving my Hans Dampf. I also had great success with my Nevegals 2.35 DTC. Long lasting but still grippy in the wet.

Mountain Kings are pretty solid all rounders. Same goes for Schwalbe Nobbly Nic, Bontrager XR4s and Maxxis Ardents. All of those are aimed at proper trail conditions rather than general XC though.

I am taking my first trip for the purpose of cycling. Tired of the heatwave that is crushing Arizona, my bike and I are going to San Diego for some glorious ocean-side riding. Will post pics.

When I traveled with my bike, I shipped it beforehand via Fedex and a cardboard bike box I got from a local shop. It cost about $60 roundtrip, Seattle to Mission Viejo, CA. I just picked up and dropped off at Fedex offices and it was super easy and the bike was unscathed.

taking my own. I am driving my car from Tucson to SD ( about a 4.5-5hr drive). I have a hatch back so if I remove the wheels it should fit no problem- the seats fold down for extra room. I am hoping I only have to remove the front wheel.

robox

ahhh i was assuming a flight
then afterwards realized it could've been driveable

my bike fit into a 2door 1st gen focus with the front wheel and seat post off.

with 4 people in it

'twas very uncomfortable for those in the back

taking my own. I am driving my car from Tucson to SD ( about a 4.5-5hr drive). I have a hatch back so if I remove the wheels it should fit no problem- the seats fold down for extra room. I am hoping I only have to remove the front wheel.

Jesus. We had to do that drive every month from Yuma to SD for training and it's a bitch. So freaking dull and boring. Though if you're going through at the right time the Blue Angels training camp is in El Centro and it's pretty cool to get a free air show as you're driving through.

andylsun

First bike accident since I was a kid, had a lovely ride to the ridgeway today and then cycling in Weymouth town centre caught my front tire in a railway track on one of the streets. The tracks are disused but not filled in. Down I went and just scrapes and bruises thankfully. Off to the pub for medicinal purposes.

Want. Now.

2016%20specialized%20venge%20bike%20full%20picture.jpg

This year's Tour de France, as with most Tours, will see the rolling out of new bikes, wheels, tires, helmets, sunglasses, shoes, apparel, and more. Because it's the world's largest annual sporting event, it's an ideal time for manufactures to show off all their new stuff.

One bike that seems to be getting more attention than all the others is the just-revealed Specialized S-Works Venge ViAS. The company recently invited Business Insider to check it out in person, but because it was under embargo until now we didn't get to take it for a spin. Yet during our brief meet-up with a Specialized rep we got to snap a few pics and learn a bit about it. Specialized claims it is "the fastest bike in the world," which is a bold statement considering how many fast bikes are out there.

The carbon Venge is actually one of five new products Specialized is unveiling this week as a "complete aerodynamic ecosystem." Along with the Venge, there's a new skinsuit, helmet, shoes, and wheel-and-tire system. All together, the project is dubbed "5 Minutes," which is how much time you'll save over 40 kilometers, or about 25 miles, if you're riding this bike and wearing the gear, the company says. That is, compared to its previous similar bike and gear.

Only starting at $12,500. :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I traveled with my bike, I shipped it beforehand via Fedex and a cardboard bike box I got from a local shop. It cost about $60 roundtrip, Seattle to Mission Viejo, CA. I just picked up and dropped off at Fedex offices and it was super easy and the bike was unscathed.

So worth it for longer vacations. I spend more than that renting bikes that never feel right. But the hassle and partial disassembly are a drag.

I have a folding Dahon I can check for free but it's a bit twee. I rarely do it.

Want. Now.

2016%20specialized%20venge%20bike%20full%20picture.jpg

Only starting at $12,500. :(

I suspect I will see at least two marketing directors and a chubby ceo riding this within six months.

I suspect I will see at least two marketing directors and a chubby ceo riding this within six months.

Ha... there's some truth in that. Would definitely wager that 95% of the people riding it couldn't come close to doing it justice.

Best part is they'd probably enjoy a cheaper / less performance orientated bike far more. Some of those monsters are crazy quick, but horrible to spend any meaningful amount of time on.

First bike accident since I was a kid, had a lovely ride to the ridgeway today and then cycling in Weymouth town centre caught my front tire in a railway track on one of the streets. The tracks are disused but not filled in. Down I went and just scrapes and bruises thankfully. Off to the pub for medicinal purposes.

Clearly you need a fatbike, stat.

Lorcain

Ha... there's some truth in that. Would definitely wager that 95% of the people riding it couldn't come close to doing it justice.

Best part is they'd probably enjoy a cheaper / less performance orientated bike far more. Some of those monsters are crazy quick, but horrible to spend any meaningful amount of time on.
So true. Outside of the adrenaline rush of riding a rocket like that, it would be absolute overkill x100 for most mortal riders. It would be fun to test ride. You'd need to get bike insurance for it though if you bought it.

Here is a photo of my new 29er. I bought it on Craigslist for $100. It is an Access XCL 9r 9.5 (2010 I think) The rear wheel was out of true with loose spokes, a bent d/r hanger and a slashed tire. I fixed it up and outfitted with with a new tire/tube, chain and bash guard. I had an extra cassette and transferred over my favorite bar/stem and seat and she is ready to go! I made it s 2x9. It is my first 29er and it feels fast compared to my 2001 Specialized Enduro.

CnKq86Fl.jpg

Yup, sometime people just want to get rid of bikes that with a little work are worth way more than they are asking for. I once got my wife a nice Specialized Hardrock for $40! It just needed a little tlc, too.

Rbk_3

My chain went over the big ring tonight, snapped off the dummy disc, rear derailuer and damaged my carbon frame pretty good.
I am pretty upset, I have had this Emonda for less than a month. luckily the little piece can be replaced that snapped off with the derailuer but damn...

90508646-CEE0-4994-967F-28EC17D4845D.jpg

44BE065F-DAA7-4A9E-92E2-0E13A16B8960.jpg

A3854075-824B-4F27-96D7-144D367A8686.jpg

Ouch! Lucky you didn't crash.

Sounds like the rear derailleur wasn't set up properly, and since the bike is so new, that should've been done by the store that sold you the bike. I think you have a pretty good case for getting a replacement frame.

Holy shit. I've never seen damage like that from losing a chain before. That's insane.

Wont help you now, but I'd suggest getting a proper frame protector on your chainstay. At the very least you want thick helicopter tape, though I prefer going with a fairly chunky fabric one.

Top Bottom