• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

depths20XX

So I've decided I want to start biking but I'm a bit intimidated at all the choices. I also haven't ridden a bike since my BMX bike as a teen. I went to my local bike shop the other day and dude was super helpful but they only have used bikes or can order new ones.

He had a used Cannondale road bike that was $500 and looked nice. I have no experience on road bikes though and the thin tires kind of scare me. I didn't get to test it as I was in work clothes at the time but plan to go back and try it.

He also said he can order Felt bikes. I kind of like this one http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/Fitness/V-Series/V100.aspx which I guess is like a hybrid?

I plan to start out biking on this river bike path which is about 16 miles or so round trip for the route I'm thinking. I'd like to do more city riding though once I get comfortable so I was thinking maybe the hybrid would be better? Roads can be kind of shitty in my town and we don't have bike lanes.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

inm8num2

So I've decided I want to start biking but I'm a bit intimidated at all the choices. I also haven't ridden a bike since my BMX bike as a teen. I went to my local bike shop the other day and dude was super helpful but they only have used bikes or can order new ones.

He had a used Cannondale road bike that was $500 and looked nice. I have no experience on road bikes though and the thin tires kind of scare me. I didn't get to test it as I was in work clothes at the time but plan to go back and try it.

He also said he can order Felt bikes. I kind of like this one http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/Fitness/V-Series/V100.aspx which I guess is like a hybrid?

I plan to start out biking on this river bike path which is about 16 miles or so round trip for the route I'm thinking. I'd like to do more city riding though once I get comfortable so I was thinking maybe the hybrid would be better? Roads can be kind of shitty in my town and we don't have bike lanes.

Would you consider getting a used bicycle? If so, check out your local craigslist. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a decent bike for getting started. For example, you could get an older mountain bike (Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.) then put some new hybrid tires on it to give you more versatility and speed on the roads. After a few months or longer, you may have a better sense of what you're looking for specifically before investing in a new bicycle (and you can always hang onto the older one as a backup or just sell it).

It's just a thought, but others here probably have much better advice!

depths20XX

Would you consider getting a used bicycle? If so, check out your local craigslist. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a decent bike for getting started. For example, you could get an older mountain bike (Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.) then put some new hybrid tires on it to give you more versatility and speed on the roads. After a few months or longer, you may have a better sense of what you're looking for specifically before investing in a new bicycle (and you can always hang onto the older one as a backup or just sell it).

It's just a thought, but others here probably have much better advice!

I would definitely consider used. I looked on craigslist a bit. However this guy is right in town and I'd kinda like to support local. He also offers free tune ups and everything for the entire time you own the bike. I'm not sure how much I'd like a mountain bike as I don't think I'd need something that rugged and I would really like to get into long distance riding.

Buying local is always good, and if it's a good store then that's of significant value.

As far as the bike goes, a steel road road bike with space for wide (28 or 32mm) tyres would be ideal for long distance riding on roads of varying quality.

depths20XX

Buying local is always good, and if it's a good store then that's of significant value.

As far as the bike goes, a steel road road bike with space for wide (28 or 32mm) tyres would be ideal for long distance riding on roads of varying quality.

Yeah it seems like a good place. He told me they have group rides and stuff I could get in on. Cool, thanks for the advice.

depths20XX

I'd argue even wider than that if a lot of time is going to be spent on dirt paths.

It wouldn't be any dirt paths really. There are just portions of the downtown that are brick road. The sidewalks and stuff in certain areas are also pretty bad. I guess I will just have to find the better areas to ride in town.

inm8num2

I would definitely consider used. I looked on craigslist a bit. However this guy is right in town and I'd kinda like to support local. He also offers free tune ups and everything for the entire time you own the bike. I'm not sure how much I'd like a mountain bike as I don't think I'd need something that rugged and I would really like to get into long distance riding.

I hear ya - local bike shops are usually quite friendly and helpful. Some also offer free weekly classes on bike repair/maintenance as well.

I guess the reason I suggested a mountain bike is that I had an old Specialized Rockhopper for about 6 years. The frame was extremely light (no suspension or anything - similar to this). With hybrid tires my bike was perfect for riding on and off roads.

But if you've found a good bike that works for you (especially for longer distances), by all means go with that! :)

It wouldn't be any dirt paths really. There are just portions of the downtown that are brick road. The sidewalks and stuff in certain areas are also pretty bad. I guess I will just have to find the better areas to ride in town.

My bad, you said "river bike path". I guess that means something different for you.

Hieberrr

Aw yes! Took the bike out today on Canada Day.
HAGxZyv.jpg

Story about the women's Tour Divide (2,745 miles off road) winner: https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/2015/07/01/keeping-it-real-on-the-tour-divide-with-lael-wilcox/

Properly fucking hardcore.

I was reading this article about her. Sucks she was DQ'd because they didn't give her the right directions.
Based upon a technicality where Lael did not have the most current GPS track for the route, as she was riding from Alaska to Banff when it was quietly published, her position with regard to the other competitors will not be honored. However, her time will be recorded as a record-setting solo ITT.

Been living in a smaller apartment for 2 years and have had my bike stored at my parents house and havent ridden. Finally rented a garage at my place to store it in and took my bike to the shop for a tuneup, should get it back today.

Pretty excited to be able to get back out and start riding again, ive missed it.

I'd love to be able to have that much time off work. Would be a once in a lifetime experience. Even if I did though, I doubt my knee could handle it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My constant run-ins with aggro road cyclists on our local trail continue. What the fuck, people.

Latest one:

I'm cycling on a long empty stretch of trail at my own cadence, probably between 18-22mph, so quick, but not crazy fast.

Older dude (of course in full spandex, shaved legs, carbon bike) comes up behind me dead silent, rides up on my left side and starts yelling at me about how I'm not supposed to cycle while turning hard.

So basically criticizing my fucking form. On a public trail. And he's genuinely upset.

So I tell him "You're also supposed to use a fucking bell or voice signal when you overtake someone you dumb shit."

I'm going to be in a fistfight before the end of summer. It absolutely RUINS your ride.

Get some manners, for god's sake.

I've been riding hybrids for about 15 years now and love the riding position and wheel size. Fast enough and efficient enough for long long rides (I've done a bunch of centuries with SIGNIFICANTLY less fatigue on arms, wrists and crotch than a road bike) and I've recently discovered that using mildly knobbly tires gives me enough flex to do some off road/cinder trail stuff, as well as gravel and garbage in the city.

I currently ride a Gary Fisher Mendota with carbon forks (standard) SPD pedals and a stem extender, but I've had good experience with Cannondales and Specialized bikes too. You could also consider putting straight bars on a road or cyclocross bike which will give you better control and riding position.

5UCC56o.jpg

Wow. I've literally never had a run in with another cyclist. You roadies are hardcore!

(I've muttered under my breath that people are cunts for going through red lights though)

I don't mutter, I yell loudly. Freaks them the hell out.
My constant run-ins with aggro road cyclists on our local trail continue. What the fuck, people.

Latest one:

I'm cycling on a long empty stretch of trail at my own cadence, probably between 18-22mph, so quick, but not crazy fast.

Older dude (of course in full spandex, shaved legs, carbon bike) comes up behind me dead silent, rides up on my left side and starts yelling at me about how I'm not supposed to cycle while turning hard.

So basically criticizing my fucking form. On a public trail. And he's genuinely upset.

So I tell him "You're also supposed to use a fucking bell or voice signal when you overtake someone you dumb shit."

I'm going to be in a fistfight before the end of summer. It absolutely RUINS your ride.

Get some manners, for god's sake.

We should be buds. I constantly yell "on your right!" at the fuckers who pass me without warning. Had one guy turn and actually ask (after popping out his earbuds), "sorry, what?"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow. I've literally never had a run in with another cyclist. You roadies are hardcore!

(I've muttered under my breath that people are cunts for going through red lights though)

To be fair I probably pass or am passed by dozens of perfectly nice road cyclists, but very very few of them use voice signals and of course none of them would even consider putting a two ounce bell on their bike.

But it's a public trail, mixed use, with tons of families out for a nice ride and these guys treat the trail like a velodrome and can be incredibly rude about it.

I don't mutter, I yell loudly. Freaks them the hell out.

We should be buds. I constantly yell "on your right!" at the fuckers who pass me without warning. Had one guy turn and actually ask (after popping out his earbuds), "sorry, what?"

And it's actually a big deal. You're only ever one startle from eating pavement at very high speeds. And while I'm used to it, some mom or child up ahead certainly isn't. And don't get me started on the three abreast packs in matching lycra.

Any time I go anywhere near shared trails I have a small bell on. People usually ignore me (my loud ass freehub is much more effective), but still... I try.

If I'm passing another rider they always get an "on your left" etc though.

Same. I get a lot of thank you's but those are 95% of the time from when I pass a woman. Not casting aspersions, just my own experience.

Passed one guy and when he caught up to me at a street light he yelled at me about how I didn't say it soon enough. Really? I'm going at least 5 mph faster than you, I can only talk so much/fast when I'm breathing hard.

HTupolev

A little while ago on the MUP I was coming up on a big group of people on skateboards. They were going single file, and when they noticed me coming from behind, decided to make room by riding on the left. This is a bit awkward, but I gave an "on your right" before overtaking their group and it seemed like everything would flow just fine. Side note, I was going fairly slow because we were going by a trail parking lot with people around.

Anyway, a little kid who had been bizarrely well-concealed in a depression on the side of the trail suddenly burst in front of me from the right, too short for braking even at my low speed. This was easily one of the ugliest sudden kid movement phenomena I've ever seen on the MUP, but the skateboards and I had given each other very healthy clearance, so I moved slightly left to avoid.

Which would have been fine, except that a pair of racing bikes coming up behind us had evidently decided that passing between myself and the skateboarders at speed was perfectly reasonable. And of course they were perfectly silent, so I had no idea that my slight left motion was veering into someone until he shouted at me. I managed to correct into a line that ended with no collisions, but it was close.

Passed one guy and when he caught up to me at a street light he yelled at me about how I didn't say it soon enough. Really? I'm going at least 5 mph faster than you, I can only talk so much/fast when I'm breathing hard.
What kind of timing are we talking about? If you say "on your left" as you start the pass, it's not going to resolve for the recipient in time to be useful, and might even land such that they're startled and unstable during the pass. You want to give a very healthy several seconds, preferably enough that the person can signal back before you even commit to the pass.

If breathing hard is compromising your ability to shout, a bell might be appropriate.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
To be fair I probably pass or am passed by dozens of perfectly nice road cyclists, but very very few of them use voice signals and of course none of them would even consider putting a two ounce bell on their bike.

But it's a public trail, mixed use, with tons of families out for a nice ride and these guys treat the trail like a velodrome and can be incredibly rude about it.

And it's actually a big deal. You're only ever one startle from eating pavement at very high speeds. And while I'm used to it, some mom or child up ahead certainly isn't. And don't get me started on the three abreast packs in matching lycra.

Agreed about the discourteous cyclists. I've run into pedestrians that are just as bad as well walking on cycling paths.

I have one of these on my bike and just ring the fuck out of it when I pass someone from behind.

Agreed about the discourteous cyclists. I've run into pedestrians that are just as bad as well walking on cycling paths.

I have one of these on my bike and just ring the fuck out of it when I pass someone from behind.

I get really pissed off when people are listening to their music so loudly that they can't either hear me shout, or hear me ringing the shit out of my bell. Ok, I get it, you're getting your workout on... but have a little fucking situational awareness.

I'd like to see him take one of those four wheeled DH rigs for a spin.

I know that his first aim was getting on something that was obviously a bike, but yeah, it would be interesting to see what he can do with his skills.

davidnic

The first time I shaved my legs was back during my cross country/track days in high school, only did it once and everyone made fun of me.

When I first shave my legs I was in yr 11\ 12 and when started cycling for fun\ club level with my father and everyone made fun of me for about a week or so and then it sorted stopped.

Gray Matter

When I first shave my legs I was in yr 11 12 and when started cycling for fun club level with my father and everyone made fun of me for about a week or so and then it sorted stopped.

No one even mentioned it during today's ride, I was a bit surprised. Definitely liked the feeling of the wind just cutting thru my legs.

Shaved legs are here to stay!

HTupolev

Tried taking some pressure off my hands for a moment by switching to the phantom aerobars.

Arms were too sweaty to sit comfortably, too slippery on the handlebar tape.

Went back to hoods.

This hot weather sucks.

Gray Matter

Road bike riders. Is the difference between a road bike and a hybrid that much better to justify buying a road bike?

I'm going to test ride one tmrw but wanted to get some input before hand.

teepo

Road bike riders. Is the difference between a road bike and a hybrid that much better to justify buying a road bike?

I'm going to test ride one tmrw but wanted to get some input before hand.

there is a massive difference between a road bike and a hybrid though the latter is supposed to be more comfortable? but that is really dependent on your weight and overall fitness. regardless, i'd recommend buying a road bike since the ceiling is that much higher.

Top Bottom