• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Just tried Zwift. Couldn't get over how clunky the interface is.
At some point I managed to find a settings page, but I have no idea how to go about getting back into it.

Bit annoying that there's no power smoothing either. Can be quite distracting watching your power figure go all over the place (because of virtual power at the wheel). Couldn't see anywhere to set my wheel circumference either.

Stryder

They are definitely lacking a shortcut key to get to the settings menu but I think this is by design.

To reach it you have to slow down to a point to which you become stationary, the pause dialog will appear and you can access settings from there. I think this is because they don't want you free rolling around the world while in the settings area..

As for the wheel size setting, not sure on this. Perhaps have a look at the support or community site.

Yeah, it's not in there yet, which is pretty stupid really. I'll have another look for that settings thing next time.

But yeah, they've got a long way to go on the software.

Stryder

Do you mean the UX?

It's pretty fun for what it is right now, but totally lacking if you are looking for a structured workout.

Left work early and my plans for the afternoon fell through so I decided to take the long way home. Ended up doing 32 miles and nearly made it home in under two hours. Got close at 2:06, and I blame the 6 for being worn out by the time I got to the last two hills I had to go up. I was a little surprised I was able to keep my average speed over 16 for practically the entire ride; I had my full back pack on since I was coming home from work and it's not light.

With the heat wave that's hitting the area I think I'm going to start taking longer rides in the morning and then bus most of the way home.

Gray Matter

What's your guys opinions of shaving your legs? Whenever I wear my new shorts, which end right above the knees, I look/feel weird especially since I'm a very hairy person.

What's your guys opinions of shaving your legs? Whenever I wear my new shorts, which end right above the knees, I look/feel weird especially since I'm a very hairy person.

https://youtu.be/l64WsjOxj8Y?t=27s

as for me, i shave my legs and pretty much all the way up. doesn't look too different since thankfully my leg/arm hairs match my skin color. lot easier to clean afterwards, too. especially if its been raining or you've been through mud.

I'm a mountain biker who wears armor when I ride, so it is pointless for me. I have done it in the past but it is weird since I have hairy legs and couldn't find a good place to stop!

Rbk_3

Holy shit. I've never seen damage like that from losing a chain before. That's insane.

Wont help you now, but I'd suggest getting a proper frame protector on your chainstay. At the very least you want thick helicopter tape, though I prefer going with a fairly chunky fabric one.

The damage was mostly to a protective film that was on there. They replaced the hanger and it seems to be all good.

The flash makes it look worse than it is.

3DEB54C2-DB73-4F14-9E39-B913022B7BAC.jpg

Does this look like the kind of protector that I want?

http://ziggyscycle.ca/product/pro-chainstay-protector-69270-1.htm

teepo

i shave neither my legs or arm though i'm quite proud of being a monkey.

i love fully unzipping my jersey and unleashing my chest hair

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Went for a 30 minute ride tonight after work to relieve some stress. God damn did it feel good.

Banged up and down some fairly technical trails today, down went fine but on the way up a muddy patch took the bike out from under me. Couldn't unclip in time and fell right on the rockside, cue two well bruised elbows.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to get some light protection for knees and elbows, because even a little padding would cut down on the road rash.

edit: ha, I actually found a video with the exact spot where I fell. The run starts at 0:45, the muddy patch is at 1:03, I was coming from the opposite direction. And no peanut gallery commentary about that not being technical. It's real to me god dammit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2lfOIRZXQ&index=1&list=PLrursRC3gmcf5RUtWbZFWPGliqMAPr48h

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Someone on campus stole my bike repair bag and front light while I was working. Can't believe some people. Shit was worth like $7, tops.

ameratsu

Got a new kmc x10 chain for my cross bike. The missing link that came with it was seriously the devil's work. Thing would not fully go together even with a ton of pressure. Ended up reusing my old link (not ideal im guessing), and it went together in 5 seconds.

The new link looked as though it had more material around the hump between locked and unlocked, any idea why that is?

Be careful, I just had a KMC 9 speed chain snap on my because I just linked it like a normal chain and did not use the master link. The pins don't like being pushed back in.
Maybe you got a bad link. You can try getting a new link, buying it separately from your local shop or online.

ameratsu

Be careful, I just had a KMC 9 speed chain snap on my because I just linked it like a normal chain and did not use the master link. The pins don't like being pushed back in.
Maybe you got a bad link. You can try getting a new link, buying it separately from your local shop or online.

I used a master link, just the one from my old kmc chain because I just couldn't get the new one to snap into place.

Stryder

b6OiCDf.png

Went for a ride down to see some climbs down in Kent yesterday, managed to score myself a nice puncture somewhere midway which meant my rear tyre was slowly deflating as I was tackling them. :/

Managed to get home via both of my co2 cartridges luckily!

Lorcain

I went for a 35 mile/56km ride today, the longest I've done on my Vaya so far. I added a little weight to the bike with frame and seat post bags, plus 2 water bottles. I didn't notice the extra weight.

The frame bag is working well. It fits neatly in the top part of the triangle, suspended from the top tube. I was able to pack a pump, phone, wallet, and lunch in the frame tangle bag.

I saw a ton of triathlon bikes today. I'm wondering if people are using them more for fitness training with no intention of doing triathlon events.

CvGz

Neo Member
I saw a ton of triathlon bikes today. I'm wondering if people are using them more for fitness training with no intention of doing triathlon events.

I like drop bars way too much to ride a tri-bike as my main ride.... I'd understand taking it out for a threshold workout but for anything else... I shudder at the thought of an endurance ride on one of those. Could be aspiring but not totally committed would-be triathletes?

Lorcain

I like drop bars way too much to ride a tri-bike as my main ride.... I'd understand taking it out for a threshold workout but for anything else... I shudder at the thought of an endurance ride on one of those. Could be aspiring but not totally committed would-be triathletes?
Many that I saw were riding in small groups with 4-6 traditional road bikes. The contrast in riding position between road bikes and tri-bikes is really obvious when they're riding together. The tri positon is about as flat and stretched out as the human body can go. My neck would be killing me after 30 minutes.

thomaser

Bought some new tires today. One Conti Race King, and one Mountain King (that's basically all that's available around here, in addition to Maxxis Crossmark). The guy at the store recommended putting the Race in front and the Mountain in the rear, but the articles I read recommend Race as a rear tire and Mountain as an excellent front tire. Who to believe?

Guy at the store is an idiot. Decide which type of crash you'd prefer, losing the front wheel or losing the rear one. Then decide which wheel you'd generally prefer to steer with, the front one, or the rear one...

...and then make your decision.

I just got a Mountain King 2 as a rear for my new (used) 29er. It came with a fresh Ardent up front. I like the MK but I have noticed that it does not have transition knobs, so when you lean it over, it sometimes slips a but before the edge knobs catch. Still lots of traction, but just feels different than I am used to. Just a heads up.

Mascot

I ride a MK2 at the front and a Maxxis High Roller at the back and am pretty happy with this combo. I run the HR with tread reversed for better grip when things get muddy. I did have a tube hernia many miles from home a few months ago but have had no trouble with the replacement. I must have gashed the sidewall of the MK2 on a jagged rock.

HTupolev

STP is in less than two weeks, and this evil hot weather is predicted to continue pretty much forever. And I'll have to have an extended taper, as I sort of pushed myself too hard this weekend... I didn't hurt much during Sunday's ride, but I've had some post-ride aches (especially in the knee) that are making me nervous.
It is what it is, I guess.

Picked up a few actual jerseys, pretty excited to use them. Should be comfier than the t-shirt plus drawstring bag thing that I've been doing (and a bit more aerodynamic, I suppose).

High Rollers are awful in the mud, they just don't shed it. Don't know how much running it backwards would work, but if it works for you, it works for you.

thomaser

Tried the new tires today. Just a short ride, but they definitely felt better than my 2-year old, beat-up Chao Yang tires (which have been usable in many situations and very durable, but quite slow and heavy). Traction on a steep gravel incline was better than I imagined, but that might change if it gets wet. Cycling on asphalt was much nicer than before!

kottila

Riding in the alps in 30-40 degrees ia a bitch. Not being able to get more than a few hours of sleep because there's no AC in the hotel rooms is even worse. Body's just falling apart after three gruelling days with a total of 8000m ascent

vern

Hi Bicycle-GAF, hoping you guys can help a newbie out.

I plan to quit my job later this year and do a long-distance bike tour. I currently don't have a touring bike and would love some advice on what to look for when I start bike shopping.
I live in Shanghai so my options are fairly limited (I suppose I could import something but I'd prefer to get something that I can try beforehand). We have Specialized and Giant stores, as well as some other independent bike shops with a few touring bikes on offer.

I guess background of me, and my plan for the trip would possibly help with any advice you guys may have. I am 30, in pretty decent shape, ride my current bike every day as part of my commute to work, though it's only couple of miles each way. I had a nice road bike in high school through college that I used to ride on weekends, max I would ever go in one day was 20-30 miles. I've never done a long distance, multi-day tour on a bike. My goal/dream is to bike across China. I have enough money saved up to last me awhile (well over a year if everything goes to plan), and I'd like to take that time to slowly bike across this massive country. Maybe on some days I will bike over 100km while others maybe just from one village to the next and only a few km. I wouldn't be in any kind of rush, so I'd like a bike that is comfortable and good for long distance, primarily on paved roads, and has the ability to comfortably strap small bags and a tent to it.

TL;DR:
- good touring bike for new long distance biker, primarily on paved roads? Suggestions?
- best way to attach bags/tent to the bike? Suggestions for a tent?
- general suggestions advice from anyone who has done anything like this before?

Top Bottom