• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Road bike riders. Is the difference between a road bike and a hybrid that much better to justify buying a road bike?

I'm going to test ride one tmrw but wanted to get some input before hand.

Yes there is, go for a road bike, I went for a hybrid but as I did more and more road riding I regretted not going straight for a road bike, my wife wasn't too pleased.

Gray Matter

Yes there is, go for a road bike, I went for a hybrid but as I did more and more road riding I regretted not going straight for a road bike, my wife wasn't too pleased.

This is excatly what I'm going thru. I love my hybrid, but now I really want a road bike.

My sole purpose for buying the bike was to commute to and from work, but as I went on a few rides both alone and with a group I fell on love with cycling, it seems I'm here to stay.

Still, that's a big plunge to take.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Go for the road bike. You'll end up regretting the hybrid choice if you really start to enjoy your riding.

This is a weird thing to say. I've been riding a hybrid for 15 years. Including trails, centuries and everything in between. Let him figure it out.

Gray Matter

This is a weird thing to say. I've been riding a hybrid for 15 years. Including trails, centuries and everything in between. Let him figure it out.

I agree with what he said, I wouldn't say I regret buying my hybrid, but a road bike seems more suitable for what I want to do.

I won't be buying one any time soon, however.

kottila

Finished Marmotte 2 hours ago, but still haven't been able to get out of the hotel room. 177km, 5200m elevation and 33-35 degrees celsius in the shade, which there was much too little of. I have never been that exhausted in my life and hope I never will be again. bu I got my silver medal!

Stinkles

Finished Marmotte 2 hours ago, but still haven't been able to get out of the hotel room. 177km, 5200m elevation and 33-35 degrees celsius in the shade, which there was much too little of. I have never been that exhausted in my life and hope I never will be again. bu I got my silver medal!

Nice!

Gray Matter

I'm heavily interested in the trek madone series now. Bikes look and feel great. Cheapest one is $1200, which is about how much I was willing to spend anyway.

Silver is awesome. Well done!

Stinkles

Fantastic ride this morning. 2mph faster average than normal, just had more energy today. Averaged 19mph average which is probably slow for most of you guys but quick for me.

thomaser

Gratulerer! That's a feat to be proud of.

kottila

Totalt carnage on the alpe d'huez. People with cramps were walking their bike for kms, all shaded areas were full of riders collapsed in the heat. Only 4500 of ~7500 made it to the finish line

CvGz

Neo Member
Did a Lactate Threshold Heart Rate Test this morning. Its been a few months but it still at 181 bpm. Overall average speed was 15.2 mph over 2 hours. I live in a really windy place off the gulf coast typical day is 14-20 mph headwinds. For my test I did an all-out 30 mins averaging 23.3 mph for the effort with some crosswind and sometimes tailwind. I think I'll start my interval training next week. There are some races and a Gran Fondo in August I want be in top shape for.

thomaser

Went on a longer trip today with the new tires. Feel great, except in mud where they're not helping at all. But I suck at cycling in mud, so it's more my fault than the tires'.

19255618390_8ec3a9dd93.jpg

Wonderful day today!

19417109366_68c4ef608e.jpg

Sun starting to set.

19447420021_7dcd996d39.jpg

So here's a statue of a dog. Went past it twice. The first time, a real dog stood there barking at the statue.

Well that was terrifying. Forecast changed to say that there wasn't going to be any thunder / lightning, and then...

...middle of an upland plane, highest things around for a good three miles in any direction, lightning, and then less than a second to thunder. Had to dump the bikes and go in different directions. Ended up squatting in a marsh just hoping that we wouldn't be the next targets. Eventually there was a gap and we both utterly hammered it to try and get to a lower altitude.

Fucking weather forecasters. :(

Edit - Holy shit, could have died: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-33401965

thomaser

Yeah, that's scary Psychotext. Glad you're ok. I had a scare last year at the same route I rode today, but was lucky and stayed just ahead of the thunderclouds on the way down. Lots of lightning just behind me, so I felt a little bit like an action hero running from an explosion or something. Your area looks much more exposed, though.

Properly shaken by that. Was less than a mile from where the people were killed.

Don't know if what we did made any difference, but I'm glad I read up on it just in case.

After three years and over 6000 miles of riding I had the closest call I've ever had to an accident today. Riding alongside traffic when the car in front of me swerved for a parking spot. Grabbed the brakes hard and felt the rear fish tail In some miraculous fashion I unclipped my left foot, swung it over and unclipped my right. My momentum carried me over the bike as it laid down and I stopped myself on the guys truck. No injuries, bike is fine, but my Garmin mount broke. The mount breaking sucks, but I'm uninjured so I'm fine with things.

Crazy thing is as it all happened I could hear people around loudly gasp and yell oh my god. Wild way to end the week.

Gray Matter

After three years and over 6000 miles of riding I had the closest call I've ever had to an accident today. Riding alongside traffic when the car in front of me swerved for a parking spot. Grabbed the brakes hard and felt the rear fish tail In some miraculous fashion I unclipped my left foot, swung it over and unclipped my right. My momentum carried me over the bike as it laid down and I stopped myself on the guys truck. No injuries, bike is fine, but my Garmin mount broke. The mount breaking sucks, but I'm uninjured so I'm fine with things.

Crazy thing is as it all happened I could hear people around loudly gasp and yell oh my god. Wild way to end the week.

How did the asshole driving react?

How did the asshole driving react?

It was one of those things where I could have been more cautious through the area. It's the main road in a shore town so there was a lot of traffic. I thought I'd be ok cruising in the parking area / shoulder so I was riding a bit more aggressively than I probably should have been.

The guy was mostly startled as I don't think he had any clue there was a bike behind and on the side of him. To my very surprise people around asked if I was ok when for sure I thought I was going to get accosted.

I didn't linger long after. I just collected my thoughts, grabbed my bottles (both shot out of their holders) and my garmin then boogied out.

Stryder

I've just decided that I'm going to cycle from London to Paris over 24 hours to watch the last stage of the tour. It's around 330km in total.

Really excited about this, haven't cycled that far in that time before but feel like it's doable if I don't go too hard.

Some fucking dopey fuck cunt knob sack cut across me and drove straight off:

6lmu1t.jpg

7loud3.jpg

8pjua9.jpg

9cbubn.jpg

10zrun8.jpg

I'm fucked! I didn't manage to get the plate and nobody else was around to witness. My Italian steed is ruined - I'M FUCKING FUMING!!

What kind of timing are we talking about? If you say "on your left" as you start the pass, it's not going to resolve for the recipient in time to be useful, and might even land such that they're startled and unstable during the pass. You want to give a very healthy several seconds, preferably enough that the person can signal back before you even commit to the pass.

If breathing hard is compromising your ability to shout, a bell might be appropriate.

Eh, hard to put what was really going on in the space of a few seconds. Basically I hollered at him - also have one of these and dinged to boot - when I was maybe 50 feet behind him so I finished the 'on your left' by the time I was about 10 feet behind him.

Fantastic ride this morning. 2mph faster average than normal, just had more energy today. Averaged 19mph average which is probably slow for most of you guys but quick for me.
19? Christ, I'm lucky if I hit 16 average. I can stay 20+ on the lfast but the hills are what kills me. They're just long and steep enough to drag the average down. Hell, the hill right before I get home I dropped 2mph average going up it the other day.
Some fucking dopey fuck cunt knob sack cut across me and drove straight off:

6lmu1t.jpg

7loud3.jpg

8pjua9.jpg

9cbubn.jpg

10zrun8.jpg

I'm fucked! I didn't manage to get the plate and nobody else was around to witness. My Italian steed is ruined - I'M FUCKING FUMING!!

Words can't express how much that sucks.

Stryder

You planning on using the train for the crossing?
No, the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe. Generally considered the fastest way from L2P.

I've done it once before but on the overnight ferry which is a bit of a nightmare. Plan this time is to arrive in Dieppe at around 10:30pm and spend the night there before spending 7 hours or so in the saddle into Paris.

Stryder

A 140km trip I did last weekend I averaged around 15.5 mph, some laps of Regents park which was largely traffic free I managed to average 21mph over around an hour of cycling.

You guys were right, setting up road cleats is really hard. I don't get knee issues, but the foot is another thing entirely. Last ride my left foot hurt during the ride but afterwards it was ok, while the right one did the opposite.

No, the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe. Generally considered the fastest way from L2P.

I've done it once before but on the overnight ferry which is a bit of a nightmare. Plan this time is to arrive in Dieppe at around 10:30pm and spend the night there before spending 7 hours or so in the saddle into Paris.

Ahh, when you said 24 hours I assumed you were doing it non stop (train / ferry aside).

You guys were right, setting up road cleats is really hard. I don't get knee issues, but the foot is another thing entirely. Last ride my left foot hurt during the ride but afterwards it was ok, while the right one did the opposite.

A lot of people are blasé about setting them up, but I would get a pro to do it... at least the first time (after that you can mark around them and copy it each time). Take it from someone who may never recover from the damage done when using incorrectly configured cleats.

I always averge between 10 and 11mph on my rides, but that includes to/from the woods.

On road I normally pootle along at 16mph or so (on knobbly tyres), but off road these days I'm lucky to get much over 6mph as most of the stuff I'm doing lately is particularly rocky.

Edit - To be clear, talking of on the flat only. :)

i average at about 17mph? the pros around here are pushing 19-20 mph
I've done high 18 to 19. With a good day and a good group to push its not terribly hard.

The tumble my bike took the other day from the swerving driver may have ended up busting my Edge 510. If a proper reset doesnt help I'm not sure what I'll do next. It's past warranty, but I'll try with Garmin regardless. I just don't want to sink another $250+ and the Garmin really should be able to handle tumbles.

Gray Matter

I've done high 18 to 19. With a good day and a good group to push its not terribly hard.

The tumble my bike took the other day from the swerving driver may have ended up busting my Edge 510. If a proper reset doesnt help I'm not sure what I'll do next. It's past warranty, but I'll try with Garmin regardless. I just don't want to sink another $250+ and the Garmin really should be able to handle tumbles.

I've been thinking of getting one of those, as I have run out of routes that I know of and would like to explore on my bike without fear of wandering too far and getting lost. Is it worth the price?

I've been thinking of getting one of those, as I have run out of routes that I know of and would like to explore on my bike without fear of wandering too far and getting lost. Is it worth the price?

I've been very happy with it despite this being the third issue I've run into (software update reset everything, time zone mess up, and now this). The major complaint about all garmin devices are the locking tabs. They're small and thin so in some third party mounts they can break easily. There are third part options like Dogears they let you mount a metal back to it for less breakage.

As for the directions they work fairly well. The 510 has turn by turn, but not full on navigation like the 1000 do.es So with the 510 all you get is "LEFT TURN" and a count down whereas the 1000 will say "LEFT TURN" and show the street name on the map. This is similar to how car GPS' were in the mid 00s. If you go to DCRainmaker you'll see what I mean in his reviews.

Battery is fairly good. I keep the display on full with no dimming and had it last 7 hours (5 moving).

The good thing for you is that if don't care for the enhanced maps in the 1000 or the 810 you might be able to find a deal for the 510 since it's been discontinued in favor of the 520.

Key to the locking tab thing is making sure you don't use a metal mount, ever. There are some with (really soft) replaceable inserts on them.

How did I ever miss this thread before?! I've been road riding for about two years now and, like everyone here, absolutely love it.

I managed to average 21mph over around an hour of cycling.
That's a good click!

I did 180 miles last month, which I'm very proud of. It's about 70 miles farther than the same month my first year of road riding. I started in 2013, had to take last year off on account of a long distance job situation, but I've been hitting the tarmac hard this year.

I normally average 18-20 MPH, but one of my good friends just picked up a road bike. He's coming from ultra marathons, so he has the endurance, but his muscles need to be built. We've been riding together and we average around 14-15 MPH. It's a little annoying for me, as I want to ride so much harder, but I am also real thankful for the company.

Top Bottom