• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

NinjaBoiX

Well it will mainly be used for my commute to work but I also like to go on bike rides on a weekend which is usually fairly off road.

Not sure what you mean by a hybrid. I mean, the term is pretty self explanatory but in what sense? Like, skinny tires but with suspension or something?

Well it will mainly be used for my commute to work but I also like to go on bike rides on a weekend which is usually fairly off road.

Not sure what you mean by a hybrid. I mean, the term is pretty self explanatory but in what sense? Like, skinny tires but with suspension or something?
A hybrid bicycle blends a lot of elements of the different framing, dimensions, and characteristics of the three main bicycle types: road, touring, and mountain. You're going to get a strong frame, a comfortable riding position, wider and more all-terrain tires, and all-purpose gearing.

How much off-road will you be doing and on what kind of trails? What geographic location are you at?

There's really nothing wrong with commuting on one of those. You just have to accept that it's going to take you a bit longer (which is arguably better for your fitness anyway).

Gray Matter

Yeah, Specialized bicycles are good. For what purpose will you be using your bicycle for, though? Personally, I'm not too keen on mountain bikes as anything but offroad bicycles. If you're commuting to work and back, then a hybrid is a good decision, as well as a road bicycle.

That's how I do it. When I bought my road bike I looked into getting a computer, but I figured using the phone would be just as good and it was already something I owned. Quad Lock has been my go-to ever since. It's easy, sturdy, and also doubles as a case. The entry price is high, is the only thing.

That's a damn good mount, but yeah, that entry price!

I don't know what I did different but I made it to work in under 50 minutes and had an average speed of 18.2 mph.

Just looked at my ride going home yesterday. Had a GPS issue, I think.

Distance: 13.87 mi
Duration: 37 s
Avg Speed: 1,349.4 mph
kcal: 16

I don't know about you but I think I should have burned more than 16 kilocalories going that fast.

"I aint even tryin"

Unrelated, the rear brake on my bike is MASSIVELY pissing me off. No matter how carefully I bleed it, I still can't get it to have a similar pull to the front brake. I just spent half an hour on it and I can still basically pull the lever right to the bar. I don't know if I'm best off replacing the caliper, the lever, or all of it.

For all I know though the replacement will do the same. =/

Mascot

"I aint even tryin"

Unrelated, the rear brake on my bike is MASSIVELY pissing me off. No matter how carefully I bleed it, I still can't get it to have a similar pull to the front brake. I just spent half an hour on it and I can still basically pull the lever right to the bar. I don't know if I'm best off replacing the caliper, the lever, or all of it.

Aren't rear brakes always spongier due to the extra cable/hydraulic length..?

I thought the same, but this is a big difference, and not borne out by testing a bunch of bikes the other day to see if it was the case.

As an aside... I almost put myself in the ground doing it, but I just broke my 60 minute, 90 minute and 120 minute records on the turbo trainer. Done fasted, and the day after leg day. :D

thomaser

Will participate in a mtb race on Saturday, the first this year! It's 46,5 kms with 1100 height meters and some gnarly areas. I haven't tried it before. Not feeling at top form today, but if I'm still iffy on Saturday I'll do it anyway, just for the sake of exploring new paths. The chain has stretched above 1 percent, but I'm counting on it lasting one more weekend.

I wouldn't. You're going to end up needing a new cassette. You should replace at 0.75 so that you can hold off replacing your cassette as long as possible.

On the subject of the race... I've never actually done one. Loads of sportives, but racing holds no interest to me at all.

thomaser

I wouldn't. You're going to end up needing a new cassette. You should replace at 0.75 so that you can hold off replacing your cassette as long as possible.

On the subject of the race... I've never actually done one. Loads of sportives, but racing holds no interest to me at all.

I'm planning to change the cassette too. Maybe change into one with 9 gears instead of 8. Have used the same chain and cassette for two years now...

I'm not nearly good enough to compete in races, so I take them mostly as a bit of hard exercise. If someone comes up from behind and tries to get past, I happily let them, but I do try to overtake people on climbs. My place on the results isn't very interesting - the chief goals are to complete the race safe and sound, and not place last. I also hope to finish in under 2.30. Over three hours will be a disappointment, though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I ride a really nice hybrid, with carbon forks and skinny, but knobbly tires - kind of like cyclocross. So it's efficient on paved roads, and very quick, and perfectly capable of any cinder trail, gravel path and some light but technical mountain bike trails.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"I aint even tryin"

Is it a disc brake? The adjustment for pull is the loose/dangling/spare bit of cable at the rear wheel end - and if the cable has been squished too flat in prior adjustments - it's worth using some pliers to "squish" it back into a tubular shape. Then when you adjust it (by lengthening that dangly bit in your case) the flatness is gone and it's less likely to pull back through, which can happen in a couple of minutes of riding. And obviously make sure you tighten the shit out of it. Same thing was happening to me.

Yeah, hydraulics. Hence "bleeding". The idea of cable disc brakes scare me a bit, I quite like the idea of a bit more modulation than they'd offer.

What's a "sportive?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclosportive

In almost all cases they're not races... though some treat them as if they are.

I also hope to finish in under 2.30. Over three hours will be a disappointment, though.

46km off road with over 1,100 meters of climbing... in two and a half hours? You're faster than me if you can do that. Unless the course is all fire road anyway.

Mascot

Fantastic early-morning ride yesterday. No wind, not too warm, and the light was beautiful.

Obligatory tree-lean pic:

zdSb5xAHwqrhXuFXVBDNYTsuvndL8EL4ZEftkeFEIxY=w394-h699-no

NinjaBoiX

Thanks for the help guys.

I've looked into this Cycle To Work scheme, it's a load of shite. You effectively loan the bike from your employer, pay them back out of your wages every month, and don't actually own it until 3 years have lapsed. Yeah, no thanks.

I've decided to just go and buy a hardtail hybrid outright this weekend, I'll let you guys know what I go for!

HTupolev

I still haven't gotten over the inexplicable soreness and tiredness I've had this week, and I'm apparently going to attempt to ride 200 miles this weekend.

STP get hype!

D:

:D

My body is ready
for ibuprofen
!

HTupolev

Are you trying for one day or two?
Two. I've never gone more than 100 miles in one day, and a one-day ride means holding a pace I'd usually reserve for rides <=50 miles for 200 miles.

Sunday morning is probably going to feel rough (every two-day STP rider ever has said that Sunday morning feels like crap), but one day doesn't seem like a practical goal.

At least the heat broke a little bit for you, so that should be nice.
Definitely. I shrivel up horribly with heat even by seattleite standards. Give me a nice cool drizzle any day.

Good luck.
Thanks!

Believe it or not the day after a long ride it's best to get out and ride. It really helps in alleviating the pain and soreness in the legs. Just take the first hour or so easy and your legs will be good to go.

Two. I've never gone more than 100 miles in one day, and a one-day ride means holding a pace I'd usually reserve for rides <=50 miles for 200 miles.

Sunday morning is probably going to feel rough (every two-day STP rider ever has said that Sunday morning feels like crap), but one day doesn't seem like a practical goal.

Oddly enough my pace for the STP last year was the same as my pace for any other century. Hell, my pace could have been faster but it was so hot I was stopping at every available stop to refill both of my water bottles and I refilled my water bladder twice.

That said I do think a certain amount of it was caused by numbness as my father passed the morning of. Like, I got a text from my sister at 12:30 at night and I had to get up at 4:30 to go to the start line.

thomaser

Have to get up early tomorrow (it's midnight here now) to catch a ferry to get to the start of the race. "Molde Challenge". Weather looks great, so I hope the route is dry and nice. Tested the bike this evening, and of course it suddenly won't gear up in the back. Have to gear up twice before it engages and moves two gears, and then gear down to get it where I want it. Oh, well. There's always something.

Gray Matter

Just done with my toughest ride yet. ~37 miles on a very unpredictable course. One minute it could be nice and flat, the next a steep hill. It was my first time doing this so all the hills (and there were a lot) caught me off guard. There were 3 down hills that were really fun to go down, got up to 36.7 MPH going down.

Extremely fun, but I feel like I'm dead.

HTupolev

Knee started acting up at 90 miles, but lowering intensity seemed to cool it off and keep it in check. I guess Ill have to ride carefully to keep tomorrow from being too much of a sufferfest.

Broke my left shoe 40 miles in by falling down a hill at a rest stop, the main strap is now zip ties.

Had a flat.

Otherwise everything seemed to about as well as could be expected.

Weather is still holding up (down), which is nice.

ngower

I hope this is an okay place to ask, please door me if not (okay that was in poor taste, I apologize):

I've been in the market for a bike since moving back home in October and selling my early 80s steel frame Bianchi. I want to return to steel, but don't want to go with something as old because there was a lot of needed but near-impossible maintenance to perform (rust and the like) and frankly, I haven't had a new bike since my first Huffy or whatever when I was like six, so I WANT ONE!

I went to my LBS a week or two ago and they recommended the Specialized Diverge (the ~$1200 model). I wasn't able to ride one because they didn't have one built in my size (or in the shop to build), but even then the bike doesn't really look like something that'd suit my needs (recreational/exercise and commuting when possible, eventually some light touring/weekend camping). The Cross Check has always seemed more in line with what I'm looking for, but the closest shop that sells one is a good 90 minutes away.

Without rambling too much longer (but happy to keep going if someone needs more info to help). is there something in the ~$1200 price range, steel, that you think fits the criteria I'm looking for? Something I can start searching more deeply into and test? Because I don't think my LBS was totally listening to me as they just recommended their biggest seller.

P.S. Does anyone have any experience with bike financing? Considering that as an option considering dropping a grand or two up front isn't something I can do without another month (maybe two) of saving, and by that point we'll be getting into the seasons where New England weather does not like you and wants to kill you,

Thanks in advance for the help, hope I wasn't too much of a pain with that post.

NinjaBoiX

So I got my new bike, ended up going for the Specialized Pitch, the Comp model. I'm well pleased with it, hydraulic discs and lock out shocks, two of the features I was really looking for. Got it for £400, which bearing in mind it was a £600 bike 6 months ago is a hell of a deal.

yay said:

My only issue is that the handlebars are well wide. I'm going to chop them down a little, does this look like too much?

? said:

t-ramp

I hope this is an okay place to ask, please door me if not (okay that was in poor taste, I apologize):

I've been in the market for a bike since moving back home in October and selling my early 80s steel frame Bianchi. I want to return to steel, but don't want to go with something as old because there was a lot of needed but near-impossible maintenance to perform (rust and the like) and frankly, I haven't had a new bike since my first Huffy or whatever when I was like six, so I WANT ONE!

I went to my LBS a week or two ago and they recommended the Specialized Diverge (the ~$1200 model). I wasn't able to ride one because they didn't have one built in my size (or in the shop to build), but even then the bike doesn't really look like something that'd suit my needs (recreational/exercise and commuting when possible, eventually some light touring/weekend camping). The Cross Check has always seemed more in line with what I'm looking for, but the closest shop that sells one is a good 90 minutes away.

Without rambling too much longer (but happy to keep going if someone needs more info to help). is there something in the ~$1200 price range, steel, that you think fits the criteria I'm looking for? Something I can start searching more deeply into and test? Because I don't think my LBS was totally listening to me as they just recommended their biggest seller.

P.S. Does anyone have any experience with bike financing? Considering that as an option considering dropping a grand or two up front isn't something I can do without another month (maybe two) of saving, and by that point we'll be getting into the seasons where New England weather does not like you and wants to kill you,

Thanks in advance for the help, hope I wasn't too much of a pain with that post.
Absolutely the right place to ask. I don't know anything about Specialized bikes, but does your shop carry their AWOL series? Looks a bit more geared to rugged riding and touring than the Diverge, perhaps.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/awol

So I got my new bike, ended up going for the Specialized Pitch, the Comp model. I'm well pleased with it, hydraulic discs and lock out shocks, two of the features I was really looking for. Got it for £400, which bearing in mind it was a £600 bike 6 months ago is a hell of a deal.

My only issue is that the handlebars are well wide. I'm going to chop them down a little, does this look like too much?
Looks very nice. I've thought about doing the same to my X-Caliber's bars, but haven't done anything yet.

Nice bike, congrats!

Handlebars are cheap as chips so can be experimented with without too much risk, but I wouldn't go cutting them right away. I have 720mm bars on mine, at first it felt wide but it was just a case of not being used to it. Wide bars give stability, which is great if you plan on riding trails. And yeah, that looks like a lot to cut at once.

HTupolev

Done.

That was a long ride.

Right knee actually got better throughout the day somehow.

Portland is hot, but the weather waited until the last few miles. Thanks, weather!

Niks

Yeah man, thanks. I love it, can't wait to ride to work tomorrow! I'm like a kid at Christmas. :p

Congrats on the bike!
I have the same bike (black one) and I love it. Great all around entry level mountain bike.

I too, bought it for commuting to work and for off road weekends.

thomaser

Beautiful cloudy morning at STP start line.

Are you on GAF's Strava group?

My race went well. Ended at 2.47, which is right in between what I hoped for (2.30) and what I wanted to come in under (3.00). Could have done much better, though, didn't exert myself too much. Came in as number 130 of 158. Still slept for 13 hours the following night, so it must have taken a lot of energy anyway :)

Really fun route on great trails. Mostly fast ones, with some difficult parts in between. Will have to explore that area much more, it's an hour's drive and 35 minutes by ferry from here. Punctured once, but it was after the finish while cycling really slowly to my car. Sharp rocks and pointy roots: ok, no sweat. Clean pavement: oh no that's too much for this poor tube.

NinjaBoiX

It's cool that this community seems fairly busy, I'll try and be fairly active in here in terms of spurring me on to do some more serious riding. I have a good enough bike now (I know it's not shit hot but it's the best bike I've ever owned at least) that I have no excuse not to do some more recreational riding.
Congrats on the bike!
I have the same bike (black one) and I love it. Great all around entry level mountain bike.

I too, bought it for commuting to work and for off road weekends.
Aww, wish I could've got it in black! They had a white one which I would've preferred but only in a large frame (mine is a medium).

I took it off road on Saturday, went for a ride down Chorlton Meadows with my bro, it was so nice having the shocks and chunky tires to soak up the bumps.

My commute to work is only 20 mins so the added benefit off having a lighter road bike didn't seem worth it for the offset of having a bone rattler for off road riding!

Really excited about it, I'm actually looking forward to getting up early tomorrow and riding to work, it makes a nice change, haha.

Horrible ride yesterday. Major puncture (tubeless), which took about 20 minutes to sort out, washboard surfaces overwhelming my suspension (and my back), overgrown nettles ripping my arms and legs to pieces, heavy rain, slippy chalk and ruts galore (the sort which end up higher than your pedals).

Bleh. Big disappointment.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My fiance and I decided to take up biking. We didn't want to spend a ton, and wanted something that could handle paved trails and some dirt/gravel, so we opted for cheaper hybrid for now.

Went with the mail and female version of the Peformance exclusive Fuji Traverse 1.8s.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1171713_-1___000000

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1171720_-1___000000

We've put around 50 miles on them across 3 rides so far and are enjoying them. Here gears are a little fussy to keep adjusted in the front, but I think I got it sorted.

So it appears Chris Froome's power data has been hacked and subsequently posted onto youtube. Both froome and the team director were complaining about it today...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-glory-under-threat-in-data-spying-storm.html

and here's the youtube of that hacked data (just uploaded this afternoon) of froome's 2013 climb up mount ventoux, which was incredible and still is to witness.

https://youtu.be/99dqfiQcbio?t=28m

i've started it at 28 min mark for the first attack, but the whole thing is fun to watch having the power, speed, hr, and cadence labeled on the side. he hits 600-650 watts when dropping contador, and briefly crosses 1000 when dropping quintana. i. cant. even.

i think what's most amazing, if this data is to be believed, is the hr. he barely touches 160. wtf.

and here's another interesting look at what the pros are doing with a pic of a warm up ride with relevant zones for contador..

tumblr_nrez64gQ4O1qioytno1_500.jpg

Removed. Damnit. =/

That HR thing I'm noticing in a lot of data from the highest end riders lately. I'm actually wondering if they're so fit that their ability to deal with lactate etc becomes the limiting factor rather than their heart / lungs.

Is that an FTP of 420w for Contador? Pretty meaty watts / kg.

Top Bottom