• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Joe

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to be this weeks new and annoying clueless bike-buying guy...

I'm not sure what to look at.

I need a bike for:
  • commute to work each day (2 miles each way)
  • occasional recreation ride around town (3-6 miles each way)
Local terrain:
  • roughly 60% flat
  • 30% slopes (10-15 degree inclines would be a good guess)
  • 10% small but annoying hills. (20+ degrees)
Weather:
  • I do plan on riding in the winter when the roads are safe enough. I'm in the northeast USA so it gets cold, wet, and there's always lots of salt on the ground.

I do like the idea of a single-speed because it would be a little lighter, a little cheaper, and a little easier to maintain. But chugging up some hills or slopes after a long day of work seems almost like torture to me.

Hybrid seems like it might be a good choice for me but all those exposed parts really worry me during the winter. Between salt, wet snow, and icing it seems like it might end up being hell to maintain?

Road bikes look uncomfortable but it's been years since I tried one.

I do not want a mountain bike.

My budget is $400 but only if it's essential to get out of the low-end market. Cheaper is better. Plus I'd like to have some money to get it properly tuned at the bike shop. (local bike shop has bikes starting at $480, nice looking bikes but out of my range).

Any input is appreciated.

edit: I know I'm going to get cringed out of this thread but..... walmart has this hybrid for $100 and some reviewers say that bringing it to a bike shop and spending $100 on it will turn it into a pretty decent bike for the money. Just wondering if there's anything better in the $200 range, or is anything that cheap just going to fall apart on me?

Aiustis

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to be this weeks new and annoying clueless bike-buying guy...

I'm not sure what to look at.

I need a bike for:
  • commute to work each day (2 miles each way)
  • occasional recreation ride around town (3-6 miles each way)
Local terrain:
  • roughly 60% flat
  • 30% slopes (10-15 degree inclines would be a good guess)
  • 10% small but annoying hills. (20+ degrees)
Weather:
  • I do plan on riding in the winter when the roads are safe enough. I'm in the northeast USA so it gets cold, wet, and there's always lots of salt on the ground.

I do like the idea of a single-speed because it would be a little lighter, a little cheaper, and a little easier to maintain. But chugging up some hills or slopes after a long day of work seems almost like torture to me.

Hybrid seems like it might be a good choice for me but all those exposed parts really worry me during the winter. Between salt, wet snow, and icing it seems like it might end up being hell to maintain?

Road bikes look uncomfortable but it's been years since I tried one.

I do not want a mountain bike.

My budget is $400 but only if it's essential to get out of the low-end market. Cheaper is better. Plus I'd like to have some money to get it properly tuned at the bike shop. (local bike shop has bikes starting at $480, nice looking bikes but out of my range).

Any input is appreciated.

edit: I know I'm going to get cringed out of this thread but..... walmart has this hybrid for $100 and some reviewers say that bringing it to a bike shop and spending $100 on it will turn it into a pretty decent bike for the money. Just wondering if there's anything better in the $200 range, or is anything that cheap just going to fall apart on me?
I've suggest this to someone else in this thread a while ago:

Check and see if there are any bike co-ops in your area. You might be able to get one in that range or better (also better quality)

My co-op ends up with a lot nice mid tier bikes and they go for about 200$.

Speaking as a cyclist commuter, depending on the roads and how log your commute is, you do not want to go cheaper; I made that mistake once. The bike won't fall apart you you, but it'll need more maintainance

Joe

Thanks I'm going to check that out. Yeah, I think I'll try to spend closer to my max budget, I'll probably end up using it more than I think.

Really not sure what kind of bike I need though. Really worried about winter safety and maintenance.

Gray Matter

You know that old high school friend that you're Facebook friends with and is always posting about whatever hobby is they have and you find it annoying?

Well, that might be me lol.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Has anyone here tried the Pashley Guv'nor?

I tested one last week and found it excellent, but I'd be interested to read some opinions if anyone has one/tested one.

bachikarn

What do people think of the diamondback brand? I'm looking to get into road biking, and my company has a 40% of deal with diamondback. I'm not sure how much of a deal that is because online it seems like most places sell them for 30% off.

They seem to have really good components for relatively cheap. Not sure if that's because they are making other components cheaper, or if being a big manufacturer allowed them to make them less expensive.

HTupolev

FS3JU49.png

So that's what tomorrow's group ride looks like.

I guess the return trip will be slightly easier than the ride out.

What do people think of the diamondback brand? I'm looking to get into road biking, and my company has a 40% of deal with diamondback. I'm not sure how much of a deal that is because online it seems like most places sell them for 30% off.

They seem to have really good components for relatively cheap. Not sure if that's because they are making other components cheaper, or if being a big manufacturer allowed them to make them less expensive.

Decent stuff but usually cheaper frames and they skimp in areas like bottom brackets, wheels etc.

That said, it wouldn't be a bad place to start if you are looking to get into cycling. Specific model info would help. :)

Utterly awful ride today. Had to tell my riding partner to wait half way as there's no way we'd have got back to the carpark in time at his pace. After I left him I got to multiple unrideable sections. Carried the bike for half a mile, pushed for about a mile, fell down the side of a hill and rolled down it, had to drag my bike back up whilst trying to scramble back up the slope. Then got to a bit that had had forestry work done on it, completely destroying the trail and leaving nothing but stumps and branches everywhere. Had to inch my way down the side of that hill, snapping branches all the way. Amazing I didn't break my ankle.

When I finally got to a road I went full aero all the way, spinning out my top gear. Nothing left on the table, lol.

For the handful of roadies out there. I was recently offered an employee deal on an All City Mr Pink. Love the frame, but have never ridden sram rival. How is the group?

Never rode SRAM so I can't help ya there. Sorry

Had my first 200 mile week of riding ever, I think, this week. Though I feel like I slightly cheated since I only rode three times this week, but I'll take it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
For the handful of roadies out there. I was recently offered an employee deal on an All City Mr Pink. Love the frame, but have never ridden sram rival. How is the group?

Have always heard good things of All City. Plus they are from here in Minneapolis!

What sort of deal are you getting through the employee discount? My coworker used to work for the QBP distribution house and managed to snag a Surly LHT for ~$400. Color me green with envy.

Ok, my GF bought a cheap lock and hasn't used her bike in 6 months. The lock is now stuck, with the key in it. It won't turn, it won't come out, it won't do anything.

I've tried using compressed air and hammer to snap it off like people used to do to The Club on cars and didn't have luck. Anybody have a good suggestion on how to defeat the lock that doesn't involve buying protective gear and an angle grinder?

Never rode SRAM so I can't help ya there. Sorry

Had my first 200 mile week of riding ever, I think, this week. Though I feel like I slightly cheated since I only rode three times this week, but I'll take it.

That is a great week! Congrats!

Have always heard good things of All City. Plus they are from here in Minneapolis!

What sort of deal are you getting through the employee discount? My coworker used to work for the QBP distribution house and managed to snag a Surly LHT for ~$400. Color me green with envy.

I am.not allowed to disclose that. Let's say it is close to the price of a console. ;)

Gray Matter

Signed up for my first organized ride this coming Saturday, been wanting to do one for a while now. It's just me and another person at the moment, but we're trying to convince another person to come.

Should be fun, there's a bunch of stuff going on after the rides are done, looking forward to it.

teepo

never ridden the rival but my main bike is outfitted with a complete sram force 22 groupset and i absolutely love it, especially the shifting and double tap triggers. my only complaint is that it's a bit noisy but i kinda prefer that.

Mascot

Got a mate with a carbon James (ie a hybrid, although he's talking about going Full Jimmy) and somehow, we don't know how, his rear wheel fell off while he was doing around 20mph at the weekend. We suspect sabotage to the QR skewer. Lots of component damage, but I imagine his frame is probably fucked too. Is there any way to tell if there are hidden fractures to carbon beyond what's obvious and visible?

Joe

Do you guys think a 5 year service plan from a bike shop for $80 is worth it for a brand new bike built by the bike shop?

It includes:
unlimited tune-ups
derailleur adjustments
brake adjustments
bearing adjustments
free labor on flat repairs
minor wheel truing
external all points lubrication
tire inflation

Any parts costs is excluded. Seems to me to just be unlimited tune-ups.

I don't ride so I don't know if that's a good deal or not? How often would I even need a tuneup?

Mascot

Do you guys think a 5 year service plan from a bike shop for $80 is worth it for a brand new bike built by the bike shop?

It includes:
unlimited tune-ups
derailleur adjustments
brake adjustments
bearing adjustments
free labor on flat repairs
minor wheel truing
external all points lubrication
tire inflation

Any parts costs is excluded. Seems to me to just be unlimited tune-ups.

I don't ride so I don't know if that's a good deal or not? How often would I even need a tuneup?

Less than $15 a year for five years? Sounds like an absolute bargain. My LBS charges £30/hour for labour.

I'd pay more than that just for the wheel truing alone.

Having the option for a 'free' tune-up every time you feel like it sounds like heaven, just for the peace of mind alone.

Bite their hand off before they come to their senses.

Got a mate with a carbon James (ie a hybrid, although he's talking about going Full Jimmy) and somehow, we don't know how, his rear wheel fell off while he was doing around 20mph at the weekend. We suspect sabotage to the QR skewer. Lots of component damage, but I imagine his frame is probably fucked too. Is there any way to tell if there are hidden fractures to carbon beyond what's obvious and visible?

I think you need to x-ray the thing to make sure, which is of course expensive and no point in doing it unless your frame costs as much as a car.

Just convince him to buy a nice high end alu or steel mtb.

Mascot

I think you need to x-ray the thing to make sure, which is of course expensive and no point in doing it unless your frame costs as much as a car.

Just convince him to buy a nice high end alu or steel mtb.

Believe me, I've tried. He lives in the middle of some of the best MTB playgrounds in the country but seems absolutely set on going Full Jimmy.

Joe

Less than $15 a year for five years? Sounds like an absolute bargain. My LBS charges £30/hour for labour.

I'd pay more than that just for the wheel truing alone.

Having the option for a 'free' tune-up every time you feel like it sounds like heaven, just for the peace of mind alone.

Bite their hand off before they come to their senses.

nice, thank you!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Best ride of the year yesterday. Was raining in the morning, looked grim, but it dried up by lunchtime. Almost nobody on 30 miles of trail, perfect temperature, cool, a little humid, felt weird but refreshing.

Sun came out at the turnaround point. Perfection. Dry aside from the odd fun puddle.

Anyone going to World Championships in Richmond, VA? I'm going to miss the festivities by one damn day, ughhhhh.

Also, was riding next to current road world champion Michał Kwiatkowski on zwift last night (at least i think it was him, same name, same country logo) and i.....passed him.

He was pulled over to the side.

Speaking of Zwift: I have an ANT+ sensor on my rear wheel. What more do I need to participate? I have a regular trainer that attaches to my rear wheel and I suppose I'd need some USB ANT+ receiver and the program but past that...? Thanks.

Speaking of Zwift: I have an ANT+ sensor on my rear wheel. What more do I need to participate? I have a regular trainer that attaches to my rear wheel and I suppose I'd need some USB ANT+ receiver and the program but past that...? Thanks.

yeah, you'll just need an ANT/usb dongle to plug into your laptop and you'll be good to go. anything that's ANT's related will be picked up by zwift -- HR meter, power, etc.

Really pleased with tonight's turbo session. Was horrendous, but I stuck with it all the way through. Definite improvement on where I was a couple of weeks back, and that's after setting some PRs on the weights earlier.

Gray Matter

There was this older gentleman today during my weekly bike ride (last one for the year) and he had a damn nice road bike. Top of the line everything, tires, frame, drivetrain, everything.

The price tag? $9,600!!!!!!!!!!!

Mascot

txcgzrm5nboOyzUlA-1Dbk6E-P2yT_ydMe7wmjYZoJM4s5Oqeq0Svz2zJ0ClPDCK7dVO9rgqUUElYjGDexd5h6JtDbWoJAxac4xBAXWOxKD4prB-ZyyxcD1zkCW1zQfknqKhL3HFj14_xi-MHFLOrJOLubjMn94Ozp_CPnofVj1uY5bbdgcDiyaM4rl-AyFtfhK4rSH4U89gGaiVbkQFWiqaRSzb5wwbbTNFpaMFk6uXA_um-EWPJAQ-qqT8TxpuyIVHtQsSSTgVJHTD5PK39OLRFWCeKPTWem1lHCpVqSyOKu-t_L2rShWF3gvJK50toQhT4Z1PibbNEpFvS32i94ZovJnj1UpnHSRUq6vpas8KICVGvMGdS4wriUXOUsJ3tmQiEGOfeOhurhOIQDQmgUvFW0J8sSS8-1K6mlbi7tyajZP0hYGJM8rNRUNW3Zk1LKSWuSXGq2ALpx9mO01TPOON3TiJD3ZvLaebSufEOsJuiFIOhmX8hgbQKkEZufmpwjLy9rTTd8dvrLlKTonIy_IfwsJhDDkVrdwpP_PU8TU=s955-no

The lighthouse is actually a hotel-room. Popular with newlyweds. But tourists try to get in all the time. And bikers.

Is anyone else not seeing this image (and ones I've posted recently)? I think there's a new problem with Google+ hosted photos. They used to display universally but now seem to be blocked for a lot of viewers. Damn, it used to be so useful not having to rehost them elsewhere. Those days may be over.

Test: what animal did I find in the woods?

Is anyone else not seeing this image (and ones I've posted recently)? I think there's a new problem with Google+ hosted photos. They used to display universally but now seem to be blocked for a lot of viewers. Damn, it used to be so useful not having to rehost them elsewhere. Those days may be over.

Test: what animal did I find in the woods?

Since you mention it, the pictures haven't worked for a little while. I just thought it was a problem on my end.

Doing 12+ hours of riding tomorrow... starting at 6am and going until (possibly past) when the sun goes down. All in prep for my 24hrs+ in three weeks time.

thomaser

Dammit. Every time I move to a new host, it stops working.

Danielsan

Went mountainbiking today. Descent + Loose sand = Daniel going face first into a tree. Have to say, did not enjoy the experience. Definitely not recommended. Thankfully I'm not too badly hurt, the right side of my face is scratched up, sore and swollen, I have a minor headache and some other scratches here and there. But considering I tried to kiss a tree at decent speed, I'm doing fairly well.

My bike is also partly wrecked, which bummed me out most of all.

Top Bottom