• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I always do lengthy warm ups before bicycling. It does make a difference and prevents leg strains.

But the secret is that I always put the highest gear, even on windy days. Got used to it and get tired less. Only on high slopes do I lower it 2-3 gears the most.

This is a terrible idea

Man, I just wasn't feeling it yesterday. Had legs of lead and zero energy when I left the house but thought I could work though the inertia. Nope. Toughest 25 miles I've done in a long time. The thick mud everywhere didn't exactly help.

Try keeping a higher cadence when this happens. Lower the ratio and increase the turn over. Some days I need upwards of 45 minutes to really feel things start clicking and other times I'm good within 20.

petran79

Banned
Using high gears is generally a bad idea for endurance. Far better to increase your cadence over time which will enable you to put the pressure on your cardio vascular system, rather than burning out your muscles.

Not an issue if you're only out for a couple of hours, but can be a big problem if you're out for longer.

I do bicycle 2-3 times a week.
I am mostly on a straight road so it does not strain me that much. During summer I combined walking, swimming and bicycle on a hill so I increased stamina. For 2-2.5 hours it is fine.

Prior to bicycle I do warm ups and exercise. Core is rope jumping (600 jumps, switching jumps every 100) so feet are active already. Can do straight 200 sit-ups too. And sessions of 30-40 finger push-ups. Waist is the most important for stamina. Body got used to strains so it does not hurt, as long as I make a break 2-3 days a week.

HTupolev

But the secret is that I always put the highest gear, even on windy days. Got used to it and get tired less.
I sometimes go low-cadence if I'm doing some ultra-low-power cycling where the physical overhead of spinning is more severe than the modest pedal pressure. But hard rides necessitate high cadence; low cadence sends my legs into strained/crampy territory much faster, and once I'm already worn out, it's often only possible to keep a brisk pace by whirling like hell in gears below what I'd usually use for the grade.

Also...
Only on high slopes do I lower it 2-3 gears the most.
...I have to wonder what your gear range looks like. Are we being cleverly trolled by someone with a vintage 3-speed?

This is a terrible idea

Try keeping a higher cadence when this happens. Lower the ratio and increase the turn over. Some days I need upwards of 45 minutes to really feel things start clicking and other times I'm good within 20.

yeah, its takes me some time to warm up too. can't count how many times ive reached the 20-30 minute mark and wanted to get off the bike only to feel great about an hour later.

and definitely what everyone else said regarding cadence! generally speaking i keep my rpms's between 95-105 on flats, 80-90 on long hills and 90-100 on short hills. only time i spin really slow is if i'm doing specific strength exercises, such as 3 x 5 reps at 50rpm on biggest gear you can push.

i remember what i first started riding a few years back and i would push a big gear at about 75 rpm. ouch. took some time though to learn and feel comfortable spinning a higher gear, though. i'm slowly getting my fiancee to keep a steady pace at 80 but it's a process.

ha! Probably.

So I have a frame question: While waiting for the bus yesterday (I had to bus it instead of ride, the shame of it all) I saw a guy ride past with a bike frame that looked at first like a normal track frame. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the rear wheel was butting into the seat tube like a triathlon bike does and the rear stays were attached one above the other instead of next to each other. Like...the left stay was attached where it usually is by the lip of the tube but the right stay was attached about two inches lower.

It was a very interesting bike, and sadly the guy was gone before I could yell, "hey, cool looking bike, what is it."

Sometimes I can barely get through the warmup on my turbo trainer stuff, only to absolutely crush the main workout. Body is a freaky thing.

i remember what i first started riding a few years back and i would push a big gear at about 75 rpm. ouch. took some time though to learn and feel comfortable spinning a higher gear, though. i'm slowly getting my fiancee to keep a steady pace at 80 but it's a process.
It really is a process. I can do 130rpm in a sprint now, and cruise around 95rpm... but I've never been comfortable at high cadences so it's been a continuous battle to get to where I am now.

petran79

Banned
...I have to wonder what your gear range looks like. Are we being cleverly trolled by someone with a vintage 3-speed?

Just 1x8 (low), 2x8 (middle), 3x8 (high)
On normal I have it on 3x8 (max upper gear). On slopes I set it to 3x6. Now if there is a really big and lengthy slope, I'll lower the gear accordingly but I usually tend to avoid it. Without energy the ride will turn to a chore...

I sometimes go low-cadence if I'm doing some ultra-low-power cycling where the physical overhead of spinning is more severe than the modest pedal pressure. But hard rides necessitate high cadence; low cadence sends my legs into strained/crampy territory much faster, and once I'm already worn out, it's often only possible to keep a brisk pace by whirling like hell in gears below what I'd usually use for the grade.

I used to have that problem for years. Left knee would hurt after 1 hour ride, even if I set gear to normal and on a straight road. Hence why I started warm up and leg excersise. Stretching mostly and rope jumping. I wear protective cover on left knee just in case, but I have not faced any serious problems since.

Usually it's down to conditioning. People (I'm just as guilty of this) go out and do a ride length that their body just isn't used to doing, which messes up their joints... which then messes up their joints next time they go out as they haven't given themselves proper time to heal.

Took me a month with twice weekly physio to get fixed after I did my first 12 hour challenge... partly because I'd never done anything like that before, partly because I had one of my cleats setup wrong.

petran79

Banned
Usually it's down to conditioning. People (I'm just as guilty of this) go out and do a ride length that their body just isn't used to doing, which messes up their joints... which then messes up their joints next time they go out as they haven't given themselves proper time to heal.

Took me a month with twice weekly physio to get fixed after I did my first 12 hour challenge... partly because I'd never done anything like that before, partly because I had one of my cleats setup wrong.

Best thing is to combine running, walking, swimming and bicycle. Or else leg muscles get used to one condition and if you try to do anything different you'll feel strain to the untrained muscles. Even though leg may be fit. Fortunately if legs are fit conditioning is smoother, but pain and strain are unavoidable in the beginning.
I used to do mostly bicycle and when I started to walk for more than 2 hours I felt strain on the sides.

Yup. It's a little outdated now because of the newer models, but if you don't need the functionality they offer, it's a hell of a price.

That said, your phone can do pretty much everything that does (assuming you have a smartphone).

Joe

Is a 700x35 tire versatile? It's mainly for commuting (2 miles each way) but I'd also like to go on longer rides with it (10+ miles). Suburban and urban riding.

I'm little worried that a size 35 tire starts to get into a territory where inefficiency becomes an issue?

Would a 32 or 28 be more up my alley? I'm looking for a good balance of efficiency and also puncture resistance.

thomaser

Regarding high vs low gears and cadence, I have gradually gone over to using lower and lower gears and higher cadence, especially on hills. I used to power up them using lower gears on the big ring. It FEELS powerful and fast, but... now I use the small ring and a gear that lets me spin with a high cadence all the way up, and it is much, much faster even if it feels slower. In addition, it takes much longer to reach the lactate threshold.

Gray Matter

Roadies, I have a very important question, I would ask it in the road cycling OT, but that thread is deader than road kill.

Anyway, as I enter the market for a road bike, I have many choices, but one of things that most concerns me is choosing between a performance or endurance road bike.

Straight of the bat, I assume endurance bikes are not fast, which is most likely very untrue. I like to go fast, so I think a performance bike would fit me, but at the same time I like comfort.

Are performance and endurance road bikes extremely different from each other when it comes to speed and comfort?

I know I have to ride those bikes to get a feel for them, but I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions before I start test riding some bikes.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Regarding high vs low gears and cadence, I have gradually gone over to using lower and lower gears and higher cadence, especially on hills. I used to power up them using lower gears on the big ring. It FEELS powerful and fast, but... now I use the small ring and a gear that lets me spin with a high cadence all the way up, and it is much, much faster even if it feels slower. In addition, it takes much longer to reach the lactate threshold.

Well that's kinda the point of the gears ;P (and specifically the small ring), uphill the lower gear ratio will lower your effort because you are spending much less energy per revolution.

thomaser

Well that's kinda the point of the gears ;P (and specifically the small ring), uphill the lower gear ratio will lower your effort because you are spending much less energy per revolution.

Yeah, but it takes a while to really understand it :) Strava makes it easier since it tells you in hard facts how fast you take those hills. If it weren't for that, I'd still struggle uphill with far too high gears since it "feels" faster. I ride with a friend who has been active cycling as long as I have, and he still does it the hard way, no matter what I do or say (he does not use Strava).

Sort of missing the point though. You could go up in x gear at a cadence of 60 and hit 15mph, or you could go up in y gear at a cadence of 90 and hit 15mph. All things being equal, unless you're some sort of freak (or completely untrained) then the latter would get you to the top far fresher.

Technically the effort is identical, but how your body recruits your muscles / heart / lungs to perform that effort is very different.

0OoO0

Guys, how the **** do you do a bunny hop? I've watched so many youtube videos but when it comes to doing it I just can't get the back wheel to lift up. Sorry I am just so frustrated with myself.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I think you are confusing effort with "work".
Effort is definitely lowered because you don't have to power up that hill by activating the full brunt of your muscles to do so (lower energy per revolution).
The amount of total energy (work) is the same obviously.

so basically you were saying the exact same thing I was ;P

HTupolev

I can never get a bead on where diminishing returns start with this stuff? At what point do bikes get good and then improvements from then on are just icing?
Diminishing returns start at the absolute bottom. If you're interested in a threshold, that'll depend on how much you care and how much money you're swimming in.

I used to have that problem for years. Left knee would hurt after 1 hour ride, even if I set gear to normal and on a straight road. Hence why I started warm up and leg excersise. Stretching mostly and rope jumping. I wear protective cover on left knee just in case, but I have not faced any serious problems since.
I'm not talking about knee pain. I'm talking about when I'm huffing and puffing and the driving muscles are on the threshold of what they can put up with over significant distance. I push toward the edge far faster if I'm cycling hard at a low cadence, and once I'm already fairly exhausted, high cadence makes it physically possible to keep up better power and speed.

Is a 700x35 tire versatile? It's mainly for commuting (2 miles each way) but I'd also like to go on longer rides with it (10+ miles). Suburban and urban riding.

I'm little worried that a size 35 tire starts to get into a territory where inefficiency becomes an issue?

Would a 32 or 28 be more up my alley? I'm looking for a good balance of efficiency and also puncture resistance.
35c will offer a slightly cushier ride and function better on less ideal surfaces. 28c will accelerate slightly faster due to less rotating mass, and will roll slightly more efficiency on smooth tarmac.

Personally, I occasionally pick my 34-pound hardtail mountain bike when I set out on a half-century road ride, just because I might feel like being in that saddle. Even though I have two road bikes.
For some recreational riding here and there I definitely wouldn't sweat the difference. If you like the idea of 35c tires, go for it.

Straight of the bat, I assume endurance bikes are not fast, which is most likely very untrue. I like to go fast, so I think a performance bike would fit me, but at the same time I like comfort.

Are performance and endurance road bikes extremely different from each other when it comes to speed and comfort?
My Fuji America is a touring road bike made in the 1970s. In its present configuration (i.e. racks and fenders and such) it weighs over ten pounds more than my new Emonda ALR racing bike. It uses 700x28c tires at substantially lower pressure than the 700x23c on the Emonda. It has a less aggressive posture, designed for comfort, with inferior aerodynamics. It has a friction-shifted 3x6 drivetrain, versus the Emonda's 2x11 105.

The difference between America and Emonda is vastly larger than between the bikes you're looking at, which are all essentially racing machines.

How would I describe the ultimate performance difference between these two machines? Not particularly huge. If my Strava results so far are anything to go by (it's admittedly not much sampling), I can sometimes manage a few percent faster up hills on the Emonda, with flats and downhills being almost a wash.

Get out on the road and ride and you'd be hard-pressed to find much significant difference in performance between the bikes you're looking at. And even if you did find significant difference, you could probably make it vanish by moving a small bottom spacer to the top of the stem.
...Buy a bike which fits, and which feels the way you want it to.

teepo

Guys, how the **** do you do a bunny hop? I've watched so many youtube videos but when it comes to doing it I just can't get the back wheel to lift up. Sorry I am just so frustrated with myself.

if you're clipped in, just pull up with your feet. i can do it but i rarely find myself in situations where i need to bunnyhop and when i do, i just do the front wheel.

not sure how you'd do it if you're not clipped.

f0nz0

Anyone have a bike/frame by Transition? I'm thinking of adding a hardtail or low-travel bike to the stable, OR maybe changing frames to something with longer travel.

They look quite sexy.

Yes! I have a 2015 transition scout, my first full suspension , the bike is sooo freakin fun, I'm a bigger dude 6'3 ~215lbs and the suspension feels bottomless.. With recommended sag settings I have yet to bottom out

Yes! I have a 2015 transition scout, my first full suspension , the bike is sooo freakin fun, I'm a bigger dude 6'3 ~215lbs and the suspension feels bottomless.. With recommended sag settings I have yet to bottom out

Awesome, can you post a picture or two? What kind of riding do you do?

if you're clipped in, just pull up with your feet. i can do it but i rarely find myself in situations where i need to bunnyhop and when i do, i just do the front wheel.

not sure how you'd do it if you're not clipped.

That's not a bunny hop... that's just pulling up with your feet. Doing it that way has some pretty serious negatives when it comes to hitting the ground again.

As for the answer... months and months of practice. For the specific part you're struggling with, this is probably the best vid I've seen to explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OkWl_1M4s

Roadies, I have a very important question, I would ask it in the road cycling OT, but that thread is deader than road kill.

Anyway, as I enter the market for a road bike, I have many choices, but one of things that most concerns me is choosing between a performance or endurance road bike.

I know I have to ride those bikes to get a feel for them, but I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions before I start test riding some bikes.

As I said earlier the rider is what makes the bike fast, not the bike. Buy the bike that fits your budget and riding style best. If you can get a better deal going with an "endurance" model then do that.

Likely the difference is something like all aluminum vs aluminum with a carbon fork, tiagra/105 mix vs all 105 or all tiagra, cable housing routed through the frame or not (annoying to bike mechanics), etc. Such subtle shit that really doesn't matter.

Do you have an idea of what you're looking to buy?

Gray Matter

As I said earlier the rider is what makes the bike fast, not the bike. Buy the bike that fits your budget and riding style best. If you can get a better deal going with an "endurance" model then do that.

Likely the difference is something like all aluminum vs aluminum with a carbon fork, tiagra/105 mix vs all 105 or all tiagra, cable housing routed through the frame or not (annoying to bike mechanics), etc. Such subtle shit that really doesn't matter.

Do you have an idea of what you're looking to buy?

So far, the bikes that interest me (because I have some experience with these) are the trek domane, cannondale synapse, and the specialized allex. All within a reasonable budget, and are aluminum frame with a carbon fork. One thing that I do want is at least a 10 speed cassette.

Needless to say I'm looking to get the lower end of these bikes, respectively. And all are good deals for the money.

there's a road cycling OT? Shit, I've been in the wrong thread this whole time.

To me, an endurance bike is a hybrid of touring and racing because you're doing both at the same time. This is the description given on the Performance website:
Endurance Road Bikes

When you aim for big distances, performance derives from comfort. Endurance Road Bikes feature many of the performance advantages of a racing road bike, but with a more laid back geometry. Taller head tubes, slacker angles, and sloping top tubes alleviate stress on the back and neck, and put you in a more comfortable position for those long, challenging rides.
So it's not that they're slow, they're just 'easier' to ride for longer distances. And bikes are always as fast as the motor.

If those are the easier brands to find then just make sure you don't get sucked into the brand tax of their models. If you have flexibility in brands just compare equivalent model types against other lesser, but still good, known brands (Scott, Fuji, Kona, Ritchey, etc). If there is a time to buy a bike it's right now. A lot of shops will be trying to clear out inventory before the winter. You may find better models for the same price as a new lesser model.

Also do not be afraid to check out steel frames. You will get a lot more flexibility in what you can do with a steel frame than you will with an all aluminum. I did 120 miles on my steel the other week and it never felt off. In fact I'm finding it way more comfortable than my aluminum.

I just did possibly my hardest ever turbo trainer workout, and the last difficult session before my 24 hour event. Thankfully I start to taper down now as it was an utterly brutal workout, and I don't think I'd have the mental fortitude to do anything harder than that... at least not on a trainer.

Bring on the event!

Gray Matter

Thanks guys.

I think I'll end up buying an endurance bike, sounds like just what I need. Of course, I'll still test ride some different bikes.

f0nz0

Awesome, can you post a picture or two? What kind of riding do you do?

Love this thing
mpF24m6.jpg

JFwkP1P.jpg

l4QFnBE.jpg

Im by no means a super shredder, but the bike instills a dumb sense of confidence, it is so easy to throw around the trail and just generally feels playful, any small bump ahead becomes an opportunity to catch a lite bit of air, you always feel like you're in the right position to attack

Mascot

Love this thing
[imig]http://i.imgur.com/mpF24m6.jpg[/img]
[imig]http://i.imgur.com/JFwkP1P.jpg[/img]
[imig]http://i.imgur.com/l4QFnBE.jpg[/img]

Im by no means a super shredder, but the bike instills a dumb sense of confidence, it is so easy to throw around the trail and just generally feels playful, any small bump ahead becomes an opportunity to catch a lite bit of air, you always feel like you're in the right position to attack

Nice! is that the entry-level Scout? I think they are around £1,400 over here. Seems like quite a bit of bike for the money. I'm getting the FS itch once again but have just upgraded a bunch of sim racing kit. If I can offload the old stuff then there might be some money to burn.

Must... resist...

f0nz0

Yep, its the '15 scout 2 build, great spec for the money, I think transition has like 4 builds for 2016 all with 1x11, they smartly spec these things.. Awesome bikes

I think I got a bit carried away by the cyclocross shenanigans going on. It's an entry level Kona Jake, alu fork but frankly I can't tell the difference. So composed offroad, I'm amazed! What was a death defying descent on the singlespeed now goes without a hitch.

z1WeFSP.jpg

Long shot...

Mascot, I assume you're probably not around at this time of night, but if you are... do you have any suggestions on where to park / ride in Slade woods? Doing some riding in England tomorrow and was thinking of popping into the woods on the way back. I've been told the best way to get to it is from Rogiet.

No harm in just trying though if you don't see this in time. :)

Mascot

Long shot...

Mascot, I assume you're probably not around at this time of night, but if you are... do you have any suggestions on where to park / ride in Slade woods? Doing some riding in England tomorrow and was thinking of popping into the woods on the way back. I've been told the best way to get to it is from Rogiet.

No harm in just trying though if you don't see this in time. :)

Yep, at Rogiet on the B4255 head through the underpass under the A48 and head up Minnet's Lane, which is about half a mile long. There's a couple of places to park up there and you'll be in the thick of it. The bulk of the trails will be on the right as you head up the lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5885888,-2.7860471,425m/data=!3m1!1e3

What time are you likely to be there? I'm nursing an ankle strain but a bit of cycling might do it good. The weather forecast is fantastic!

Cheers.

...and realistically about 16:00. Was just looking to have a quick scout around the area on the way back so not too concerned about the light (plus I'm training for my bikepacking event so I'll have my beasty lights anyway).

Mascot

Cheers.

...and realistically about 16:00. Was just looking to have a quick scout around the area on the way back so not too concerned about the light (plus I'm training for my bikepacking event so I'll have my beasty lights anyway).

OK, if I do go up I'd have to leave at 5pm latest (out to dinner tomorrow night). Maybe see you there..!

Top Bottom