• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I've had a fucking sinus infection for a week and I haven't been able to ride my bike. I've got nonstop nasal diarrhea and coughing up crap any time I laugh. :(

Went mountain biking for the first time in 2 years and boy was that fun. Trying to break road habits was tough. I was squirly through a lot of areas because I kept looking down instead of more ahead. Had a few zero mile per hour falls (I've fallen ONCE on my road) and fell into a small ravine. No complaints though.

Things I struggled with: remembering to keep my ass down and back, unclipping, looking forward more than on a road and surprisingly balance. I'd think the balance thing is related to my remembering to look further in advance versus looking down.

And no, I wont be getting a mountain bike anytime soon. I still have my 98ish Cannondale F500 and still prefer road to dirt. Well, mixed (like cross style).

diablopath

Neo Member
I am new to NeoGAF. Is this the proper thread to ask about bicycle options? I'm looking at getting a proper road bike, and unsure of what to think about my various frame options.

HTupolev

A month ago riding home hard on my new racing bike:

lncT8ba.png

Today on an otherwise relaxing ride on my hardtail, with a coworker who'd just gotten a new hybrid:

wEXuhk9.png

lololol

Strava D:

Mascot

:D

You look like about two of me. lol

Remember when that Triffid attacked me and tried to eat my rear mech? My gears were slipping like hell after that. Had a good look at my drivetrain back at home after hosing all the mud off and one of my chain links was bent like hell. One of the outer plates was actually disengaged from the link pin. It's amazing it got me home without snapping, let alone passed through the mech and cassette.

So had a 65 mile race turn into a 36 miler because of a bike issue, so frustratttting. I'm riding with my charity team, and we're just cruising along at a clip between 19-23mph, perfect weather when at mile 17 I ran over a rather nasty pothole. The damage would reveal itself about a mile later when going up a hill my rear wheel started to slip and it became difficult to switch gears. As we're cresting the hill and fearing a puncture, I look back at my wheel and sure enough, puncture. By the time I turnaround however the team is racing downhill along with two other dudes and my screams were not heard. :(

The two guys who had lathed onto our team were wearing similar jerseys so I was positive my teammates just assumed it was me, and you don't hear shit going downhill. Having lost my teammates and realizing the next rest stop was about 4 miles away, I just shifted into low gear and spun until I could have a mechanic look at the bike. Definitely a puncture, but also misaligned my rear derailleur and somehow managed to jack up my rear cable wires, too. Thankfully guy was a real pro and fixed everything up but by then I had already lost about 45 minutes and decided to switch to the 36 mile route. Not counting time spent fixing the bike, I finished right around the 1:51 mark. But damn, really wish I didn't get swallowed up by that pothole.

Not carrying the gear you'd need to deal with that? I know it's against the rules, but even on my road bike I have a small saddle bag with a multitool, tube, levers etc.

diablopath

Neo Member
Looking for a proper road bike cont'd:

I currently ride a Trek 7.2 FX. It's great, but obviously not exactly a road bike. I bought it just to get my feet wet in the sport, and I've decided that I love it and want to more seriously pursue it. I am aiming to complete my first century within six months.

I am currently looking at the following options:

I've gone back and forth on all of these. Beyond being endurance frames, I don't know what else I should be looking for/valuing. Everything I've read indicates I should be looking at shimano 105; but I'm not 100% convinced that Tiagra is a bad choice, and may indicate that the Diverge frame is better.

I'm also not sure how much I'd regret with going with say, the CAAD10, which I understand is one of the best frames on the market shy of going carbon. But; would the more "racing" frame build be modifiable (via stem or seat position changes) into a more "endurance" posture on the bike?

I'm also open to other options I haven't listed; I plan on adding a computer, and then of course I'd have to add things like pedals and shoes.

I want this bike to last me a few years, but I am unsure what value to place on these frame options. Any guidance?

I've got a Defy 1 and everyone tells me it's a great bike... so there's that. I know fuck all about road cycling though... but it seems solid and the drivetrain is excellent. Only thing I'd note is that the stock pads for the brakes are crap, and I replaced them immediately.

Not carrying the gear you'd need to deal with that? I know it's against the rules, but even on my road bike I have a small saddle bag with a multitool, tube, levers etc.

oh no, i had the stuff with me but there was still enough air in tire to get me to next mechanic. i figured stop by myself, change out tire, fiddle with derailleur and waste a lot of time trying to pinpoint all damage pothole wrought or just spin at about 10-12 mph till next break and let someone qualified look at it. if i hadn't known mechanic dude was up the road i absolutely would have fixed the flat at least.

I'm starting to think that big brand bike production is getting so homogenized that quality wise you're good no matter what. Just as long as the ride feels good, go for what appeals to you.

diablopath

Neo Member
I've got a Defy 1 and everyone tells me it's a great bike... so there's that. I know fuck all about road cycling though... but it seems solid and the drivetrain is excellent. Only thing I'd note is that the stock pads for the brakes are crap, and I replaced them immediately.

Do you have Disc brakes? I accidentally linked the wrong Defy 1; I am actually looking at the one with Disc brakes. Honestly, if it comes down to "X product is great if you replace Y component," I'd probably lean towards another frame, as they are all in the same price range. That is, assuming of course, that the other options don't also have an expensive "but..." caveat.

Do you have Disc brakes? I accidentally linked the wrong Defy 1; I am actually looking at the one with Disc brakes. Honestly, if it comes down to "X product is great if you replace Y component," I'd probably lean towards another frame, as they are all in the same price range. That is, assuming of course, that the other options don't also have an expensive "but..." caveat.

No, mine has rim brakes. Discs are still relatively unusual in the road bike world.

diablopath

Neo Member
I'm starting to think that big brand bike production is getting so homogenized that quality wise you're good no matter what. Just as long as the ride feels good, go for what appeals to you.

Haha, I hear this a lot. I guess I'm just so desperate for an ubiquitous decision, or an objective answer as to "best." Putting faith in my subjective opinion of frame vs. frame might open me up to a future "I wish I had made X decision," so I guess that's the point of my post. Shy of that, my research is only as good as far as my knowledge of the products goes, so I guess I'm just on the lookout for a consideration that I glossed over. Right now, most of my opinion is geared towards "this frame is advertised as endurance" and "what group set is on this bike?" I don't know much about particular aluminums in each frame type or about differing build processes that different companies use, and further, the extent that those things even matter.

No, mine has rim brakes. Discs are still relatively unusual in the road bike world.

This is the reason I ultimately decided against getting a disc brake hybrid bike when I purchased my 7.2 FX. However, most of the models I am looking at for the endurance road bike appear to have disc brake options, if it is not "the default," so I am not ruling them out. I have zero experience with them, so if anybody else reading does have experience and a suggestion, I'd appreciate that, too.

teepo

disc brakes will become the norm on race bikes once the UCI fully lifts its ban on them. i personally find them ugly as fuck, though the GCN videos show that it has quite the advantage over the normal caliper brakes, especially in the rain.

and don't shy away from tiagra. you could shave $500 or so from your budget and use that money to invest in clipless pedals, shoes, and all the other cycling gear you would need. also, from now until march there will be a ton of close out deals on all models so keep an eye out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cheaper mechanical disc brakes are really hard to get not to rub. It isn't the biggest deal when they run a little, but still annoying.

I still don't really get the advantage of disc brakes on non cyclocross road bikes.

Yeah, you'll run out of tyre grip long before your brakes fail to work.

Funny thing is, rim brakes are obviously shit in the rain... but you don't really have the grip to brake properly either, so you're screwed either way. Different story for decent CX tyres though.

HTupolev

The problem isn't so much maximum grip as pressure curves. Modern* caliper setups can stop in the rain, but the feel of the brakes might change moment to moment. Controlled but aggressive stops get dodgy.

*Classic steel rims definitely get more problematic.

diablopath

Neo Member
Cheaper mechanical disc brakes are really hard to get not to rub. It isn't the biggest deal when they run a little, but still annoying.

I still don't really get the advantage of disc brakes on non cyclocross road bikes.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't focus only on disc brakes, because like other posters are saying, I haven't seen anything that says they're 100% objectively better and the only way to go on new bikes. The only reason I even brought it up was that a lot of the bikes I'm looking at - endurance frames in the Tiagra to 105 range - have them as stock options, so I guess I just kind of accepted them as an "obvious" choice.

Does anybody have any opinions on going with a Tiagra groupset, to get a lower initial cost, and upgrading the groupset to 105 or Ultegra in a few years? Or is such a move nonsensical?

Hi BikeGAF!

I've been meaning to post for a while. My GF and I were finally able to get new bikes and started going out recently. We've only gone a couple of times on short rides but we're planning on ramping up. I also need to get a GoPro or similar because having to stop to take pictures with my cell is less than ideal. Here's one of us getting ready to start rolling:

What Apps (Android) do you guys use for tracking your rides? I downloaded Strava but I haven't even used it the first time yet.

Anyway, looking forward to sharing our adventures with the community. Cheers!

diablopath

Neo Member
Hi BikeGAF!

I've been meaning to post for a while. My GF and I were finally able to get new bikes and started going out recently. We've only gone a couple of times on short rides but we're planning on ramping up. I also need to get a GoPro or similar because having to stop to take pictures with my cell is less than ideal. Here's one of us getting ready to start rolling:

What Apps (Android) do you guys use for tracking your rides? I downloaded Strava but I haven't even used it the first time yet.

Anyway, looking forward to sharing our adventures with the community. Cheers!

Is your girlfriend into it as much as you are? I took mine out on a 20 [edit: 10] mile ride the other day, one that generally takes me ~40 minutes to an hour, and spent 1 hour 40 minutes with her, haha. It's fun to do it as a group, though, and I hope y'all are enjoying it.

I use Strava to track rides, and Wahoo's fitness app to give me a "second opinion" on heart rate/calories. I love Strava, and I haven't really seen any other reason to use something else. I recently took their offer to trial the Strava Premium out, but I haven't been able to use a lot of its features (heart rate training, etc) yet. I love how accessible it is, though, and I love looking at how I have mapped my city on my bike. Has definitely made cycling more rewarding as a result, and just seeing how "far" I can easily go has been motivating to me, whereas just going on long bike rides would not have that same effect.

Is your girlfriend into it as much as you are? I took mine out on a 20 [edit: 10] mile ride the other day, one that generally takes me ~40 minutes to an hour, and spent 1 hour 40 minutes with her, haha. It's fun to do it as a group, though, and I hope y'all are enjoying it.
Yes, she is! :D We've actually gone on trail rides before but we finally decided to buy our own bikes instead of renting. I think she's probably going to use her bike more than I will mine, if only because I don't really enjoy biking in the city. About two weeks ago we did 20-something miles in the city but I didn't think of tracking it (I used Google Maps to measure the distance after the fact).

I use Strava to track rides, and Wahoo's fitness app to give me a "second opinion" on heart rate/calories. I love Strava, and I haven't really seen any other reason to use something else. I recently took their offer to trial the Strava Premium out, but I haven't been able to use a lot of its features (heart rate training, etc) yet. I love how accessible it is, though, and I love looking at how I have mapped my city on my bike. Has definitely made cycling more rewarding as a result, and just seeing how "far" I can easily go has been motivating to me, whereas just going on long bike rides would not have that same effect.
Ah, cool! I'm not much of a fitness tracker guy (I run about 2 miles every day but I don't really bother tracking it), and I'm more wondering about tracking the trails themselves, so if we're going back I can easily find my way again.

I'll definitely play around with Strava though. I wish I could ride my bike more often! Grrr.

Mascot

I think he was recoiling from all those 26" wheels. Great pic!

Ha ha..! It was funny seeing Jimmies lurking sheepishly near the woods, just the other side of the gate. They looked like like three teenage virgins trying to pluck up the courage to enter a brothel.

This is a brilliant idea for charity: http://singletrackworld.com/2015/09/megaavalaugh-2015/

The 2015 MegaAvaLaugh charity bike ride took place on Sunday. The rules? Fully grown humans on kids’ bikes only. This year they were raising money to support the family of ten year old Tye Hawkins, who was recently struck by a motorcycle and hospitalised. The MegaAvaLaugh is always for a good cause, and it looks like a phenomenal amount of fun.

Ha ha..! It was funny seeing Jimmies lurking sheepishly near the woods, just the other side of the gate. They looked like like three teenage virgins trying to pluck up the courage to enter a brothel.

My favorite thing now is rolling up to any kind of "non road friendly" terrain and cruising into on my bike. Now granted my bike is built for cross style terrain (32s, discs, all steel), but it's still hilarious. One time a guy even yelled to us "Hey, those are road bikes!" as if we didn't know what we were about to do.

For all the hate roadies get my personal favorite are the guys who do trail riding on these monstrous dual suspension rigs when the terrain in our immediate area doesn't even call for it.

On a side note I'd like to call out people who only do gran fondo's or charity rides. FFS those rides seem to bring out the worst bikers in the area. There was one passing through my town over the weekend and there were people riding 5 wide in a car lane where it's 40mph. Yes, take the lane but not fucking 4 wide. Then at the stop light they all swarmed around the cars instead of either A. moving completely to front of the line or B. sitting behind cars. I even put my damn blinker on WAY in advance.

0OoO0

Guys, how the **** do you do a bunny hop? I've watched so many youtube videos but when it comes to doing it I just can't get the back wheel to lift up. Sorry I am just so frustrated with myself.

Oh yeah! Now that I've installed flat pedals with grip I am able to lift the back wheel. Now working on how to do manuals and then combining the two so I can do the bunny hop.

Hi bike gaf! I was looking at getting my first road bike and was hoping people here could give me a little bit of advice.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1090502890
Looking at a second-hand bike, is this a good deal? (Prices in AUD)
I'll be going to have a look at the bike and test riding tomorrow so would appreciate some tips.

Or should I think about going the new bike route with lesser known brands - ie
Fuji Sportif 2.3 2015
Reid Osprey Elite
Cell Otway 2.0

at some point may also have seen a merida ride 100 juliet for around the same price points but I can't find the link to it anymore.
I'm pretty short at 5'1 so sizing may be difficult. Thoughts?

Hi bike gaf! I was looking at getting my first road bike and was hoping people here could give me a little bit of advice.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1090502890
Looking at a second-hand bike, is this a good deal? (Prices in AUD)
I'll be going to have a look at the bike and test riding tomorrow so would appreciate some tips.

Or should I think about going the new bike route with lesser known brands - ie
Fuji Sportif 2.3 2015
Reid Osprey Elite
Cell Otway 2.0

at some point may also have seen a merida ride 100 juliet for around the same price points but I can't find the link to it anymore.
I'm pretty short at 5'1 so sizing may be difficult. Thoughts?

That Trek should fit you pretty well then.

Oh shit... I just found out that my 24+ hour event is going to have ~7,000 meters of ascent. I really hope he's just winding us up on that, because it's going to be 90% off road and OMFG is that going to be beyond ridiculous.

I'm suddenly considering getting some sleep and just aiming to finish in the 36 hours.

thomaser

Oh shit... I just found out that my 24+ hour event is going to have ~7,000 meters of ascent. I really hope he's just winding us up on that, because it's going to be 90% off road and OMFG is that going to be beyond ridiculous.

I'm suddenly considering getting some sleep and just aiming to finish in the 36 hours.

That's almost an Everest. And people struggle mightily with everesting even on roads (they usually spend less time on it, though). Good luck, I guess, not much more to say.

HTupolev

I first read that as "7,000 feet", and while that's certainly a lot of climbing, it didn't sound like something you should be surprised about.

Then I saw that the unit was meters.

D:

Top Bottom