• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Teggy

Signed up for another century which will give me another 3 weeks of prep. Weather should be cooler, route is quite flat and it's along the coast which should be nice.

teepo

did a century today with about 5000ft of elevation. the ride reminded me why i stick to doing rides no longer than 50 miles. by the 90th mile, i just wanted to it be over with.

we did clock in at around 18.5mph, which made the ride incredibly fun for the most part but the pace was relentless near the end. being dropped at the the 100 mile mark (104 miles total) never felt so good

Mascot

did a century today with about 5000ft of elevation. the ride reminded me why i stick to doing rides no longer than 50 miles. by the 90th mile, i just wanted to it be over with.

we did clock in at around 18.5mph, which made the ride incredibly fun for the most part but the pace was relentless near the end. being dropped at the the 100 mile mark (104 miles total) never felt so good

I can only assume that you Jimmies treat cycling as a form of penance to atone for the crimes of your patron saint.

:p

Might be a bit hard to see... but saw some wild boar in the Forest of Dean yesterday (along with a bunch of deer).

20160828_131715_hdrd9zsu.jpg

20160828_131659_hdrkmb13.jpg

20160828_131806_hdr5xbe5.jpg

Norfair

I also did a century yesterday.

Somewhere along the way (before mile 70) I broke a spoke and didn't notice. At the last rest stop (mile 89 or so) I noticed my back wheel was hitting my brake. I opened up the brakes and the last 15 miles was much more enjoyable.

Strangely my century ended up being 104 miles too. Must be a conspiracy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Buddy got a super nice SC Bronson recently, let me ride it on a bit of trail that I've ridden a bunch before. Pretty rock gardeny, got to pick my lines pretty carefully on my hardtail to get through semi smoothly.

On his bike, I just sailed through. Launching off rocks and such.

I did that run twice the other day, once on my bike and once on his. On my bike it took 5m30s, on his 4m.

And now I want a fs.

Teggy

Anyone know anything about the Giant Revolt? I think this is definitely the kind of thing I want to look into for next year for riding dirt roads and gravel and stuff. It's just surprisingly...affordable. I mean, it doesn't have the highest end components, but does that mean it's bad? Will it hold up to long rides?

The low end version actually has a triple with a 30t, which would be great for getting up steep inclines, while the higher end version just has one gear lower than my road bike (34f-34r vs. 34f-32r)

Oh shit, cyclocross season starts in two weeks! There's two local races coming up on the weekend after next, like right in my neighbourhood. I really need to stop procrastinating and change the cx bike's gear cable.

frontieruk

Anyone know anything about the Giant Revolt? I think this is definitely the kind of thing I want to look into for next year for riding dirt roads and gravel and stuff. It's just surprisingly...affordable. I mean, it doesn't have the highest end components, but does that mean it's bad? Will it hold up to long rides?

The low end version actually has a triple with a 30t, which would be great for getting up steep inclines, while the higher end version just has one gear lower than my road bike (34f-34r vs. 34f-32r)

Shimano cassettes are generally solid throughout the range, the derailleurs will be slightly less refined on the change but but are solid in the changes, and unless you're used to riding on ultegra sets you probably wont notice.

But I did spot this review.

trebbble

How are ghost brand mountain bikes?

Not a fan personally. The local Mountain Equipment Co-op started carrying them and I took a couple for a test ride.

I found them to be a bit heavier and less capable than other brands, often without saving enough to justify the tradeoffs.

I left thinking that if I were looking for a mountain bike, especially a full suspension, I would make sure I also tried other brands to compare. Seemed like there are better specced and riding bikes in the same price ranges, at least around here.

what is this for again?

Might be worth looking into some of the ratio calculators online. If you can avoid a triple I would do it esp. if you wont be needing it all the time.

Teggy

what is this for again?

Might be worth looking into some of the ratio calculators online. If you can avoid a triple I would do it esp. if you wont be needing it all the time.

It would be for dedicated gravel and dirt road stuff. Yeah, I know the triple is not ideal, I just liked the granny gear. The higher level model only has a double. It's almost a standard compact (big ring is a little smaller). Would have been great if they made the little ring a little smaller too.

HTupolev

It's just surprisingly...affordable. I mean, it doesn't have the highest end components, but does that mean it's bad? Will it hold up to long rides?
For the most part, lower-end bike shop bikes don't become frail. They just get heavier, less full-featured, and sometimes a bit less crisp to operate. They might sometimes need adjustment a bit more often, but that's not typically going to mess you up mid-ride.

34-32 to 34-34 is more like half a gear lower. The triple gives you a gear about 13% lower than your road bike, but even here, you're probably looking at around 10% once the larger tires are accounted for. Which is certainly useful, but you're still looking at the equivalent of a single rear shift.

Really, road drivetrain options don't cater at all to what you're trying to do, even triples.

If you can avoid a triple I would do it esp. if you wont be needing it all the time.
I'll never understand why people are so anti-triple. The penalties for using it versus a double are tiny; IMO the biggest negative is that they're slightly harder to clean. If a triple provided the gearing I wanted and a double was slightly off, I'd take the triple in a heartbeat. Especially if the chainrings allowed me to divide out intermediate ratios better.

I also did a century yesterday.

Somewhere along the way (before mile 70) I broke a spoke and didn't notice. At the last rest stop (mile 89 or so) I noticed my back wheel was hitting my brake. I opened up the brakes and the last 15 miles was much more enjoyable.

Strangely my century ended up being 104 miles too. Must be a conspiracy.
I broke a spoke once. I heard a loud pop and my rear wheel immediately bent into the brake. Luckily I was going all of 3 mph as I was behind my wife and her sister who happened to be on an old cruiser and couldn't go fast anyway.

At any rate, I couldn't move even with the brakes opened up because of the wheel's bend. How did you keep going?

HTupolev

I broke a spoke once. I heard a loud pop and my rear wheel immediately bent into the brake. Luckily I was going all of 3 mph as I was behind my wife and her sister who happened to be on an old cruiser and couldn't go fast anyway.

At any rate, I couldn't move even with the brakes opened up because of the wheel's bend. How did you keep going?
Depending on what spoke fails and how many spokes you have and such, sometimes the wheel doesn't bend all that much. When I had a spoke failure on the old 36H wheels on my '83 Miyata 710, it was still borderline rideable even with the brakes closed. I noticed it because the broken spoke was making a racket, not because the bike ground to a halt.

I feel like I should have switched to 700c when I replaced that wheelset, though.

Hmm, guess that makes sense then as it had a fairly low spoke count. Can't think of it atm though as those are my winter wheels.

I finished my mountain-franken-bike this weekend. I just can't figure out what to do with the hydraulic brakes though. One is mushy and the other is tight, what do I do. I don't even know what yt video to start with.

I'll never understand why people are so anti-triple. The penalties for using it versus a double are tiny; IMO the biggest negative is that they're slightly harder to clean. If a triple provided the gearing I wanted and a double was slightly off, I'd take the triple in a heartbeat. Especially if the chainrings allowed me to divide out intermediate ratios better.

It's just unneeded gearing. Has nothing to do with weight or anything just feels like it's overkill to have when you may not really need it or if you do so infrequently.

I'd prefer to have a pie plate in the back TBH.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I had my first crash last week. A passenger's bus closed on me and invaded my lane until no space was left for me to pass on a curve, therefore I crashed on its side. I felt to the ground hard. My left knee was very swollen for several days and right now is bruised and still hurts on the touch. My bike just had cosmetic damage.
The bus didn't stop, btw.

Feels bad. Was I lucky to end with just a bruised knee? I was back in the road after two days!

Mascot

Might be a bit hard to see... but saw some wild boar in the Forest of Dean yesterday (along with a bunch of deer).

872041-porky-pig-pictures.jpg

rs_1024x759-150812103434-1024.bambi.cm.81215.jpg

Funnily enough I was supposed to go riding in the FoD on Sunday but started repairing my summerhouse roof instead, which opened a bottomless can of worms that will eat into much of this week's riding time too. Bah, and double bah.

trebbble

So, I had my first crash last week. A passenger's bus closed on me and invaded my lane until no space was left for me to pass on a curve, therefore I crashed on its side. I felt to the ground hard. My left knee was very swollen for several days and right now is bruised and still hurts on the touch. My bike just had cosmetic damage.

Feels bad. Was I lucky to end with just a bruised knee? I was back in the road after two days!

Glad to hear you are back on the bike and doing relatively okay. You are very lucky, it could have been much worse. It may be worth getting your knee checked out if pain persists... I had a similar crash a few years and I ended up spraining my MCL.

Teggy

I luckily haven't had any really bad brushes yet, but when I was riding on the shoulder of a state road in Michigan a large truck passed me at high speed and I was almost blown off the road. That was pretty scary.

Norfair

I heard the spoke break but just dismissed it as one of me or the other riders riding over a piece of metal or something. As the ride went on I had a harder and harder time keeping up with the group I was with. I just figured I was over exerting myself and let them go and went at my own pace. At one of the rest stops I picked my bike off the ground and noticed the brake touching the rim. I adjusted them a bit and it kept moving.

The next 20 or so miles were pretty tiring but I just assumed I wore myself out trying to keep pace with the other group. Last rest stop my back wheel spun and came to an immediate stop. It was at this point I put it all together and figured out what happened. It looks like the one spoke snapped and then the wheel slowly came out of true I opened up the brakes all the way and recentered them so they won't rub. Turns out the last 15 was a lot easier.

teepo

Quintana calls for power meters to be banned from racing

after the olympics, i'm more in favor of the uci banning certain technological advancements. banning either power meters, race radios or both would lead to much more exciting races and at the very least, teams should be smaller.

and has anybody else been watching the vuelta a espana? it has been amazing thus far with the constant attacks and uphill finishes. the other two tours need to take notice.

Quintana calls for power meters to be banned from racing

after the olympics, i'm more in favor of the uci banning certain technological advancements. banning either power meters, race radios or both would lead to much more exciting races and at the very least, teams should be smaller.

and has anybody else been watching the vuelta a espana? it has been amazing thus far with the constant attacks and uphill finishes. the other two tours need to take notice.

Radios, sure. Power meters I don't see how it benefits things from the perspective improving the race

When on plan, they currently sit at their maximum sustainable climbing power knowing that even if someone attacks then they'll basically be able to bring them back by sticking at it and being as efficient as possible.

It's robotic.

Glad you are OK. Did you helmet take an impact? Most helmets are usually only good for one crash, and most shops will give you a crash replacement discount.

Buddy got a super nice SC Bronson recently, let me ride it on a bit of trail that I've ridden a bunch before. Pretty rock gardeny, got to pick my lines pretty carefully on my hardtail to get through semi smoothly.

On his bike, I just sailed through. Launching off rocks and such.

I did that run twice the other day, once on my bike and once on his. On my bike it took 5m30s, on his 4m.

And now I want a fs.

If you ever make it to NJ I can hook you up. ;)

Hang on, are you actually a professional brewer?

-SG

How long do you guys usually give yourself to recover after a cold? Every time I think I'm good enough to ride, I seem to make myself sick again so the cold just lingers.

danowat

Banned
How long do you guys usually give yourself to recover after a cold? Every time I think I'm good enough to ride, I seem to make myself sick again so the cold just lingers.

Depends on the symptoms, if its above the neck, I just ride regardless, if its below the neck I don't ride till it's gone, and my morning RHR is normal.

Depends on the symptoms, if its above the neck, I just ride regardless, if its below the neck I don't ride till it's gone, and my morning RHR is normal.

On the subject, do you use HRV, or just RHR? I used to do RHR but for me it seems to be all over the place generally.

danowat

Banned
On the subject, do you use HRV, or just RHR? I used to do RHR but for me it seems to be all over the place generally.

I have done in the past, but it requires a bit of time to get it right, someone I knew was developing a mobile app for it, I don't know if he ever did..

As for RHR, if you follow the same protocol, same time etc, its normally pretty good +/-5 bpm is usually my threshold for giving it another look.

danowat

Banned
Coming to the realization my lactic threshold is complete shit. The moment I stand to power up any hill my legs just blow up.

Thankfully, it's easily trainable ;)

FWIW, don't stand, I used to do a lot of my hillreps in the saddle, you use specific muscle groups, and don't waste energy pulling with your arms and shoulders.

Thankfully, it's easily trainable ;)

FWIW, don't stand, I used to do a lot of my hillreps in the saddle, you use specific muscle groups, and don't waste energy pulling with your arms and shoulders.

I do as well, but I find it hard to get myself to push harder when I'm seated. I think come this winter I'm going to do the Sustained Power build in Trainnerroad.

This block is all about emphasizing sustained power above all else. Riders focus on strength endurance work, lactate-tolerance intervals and a healthy dose of maximum VO2max intervals. Perfect for marathon mountain bikers, century riders, olympic-distance, half-distance and full-distance triathletes.

The only other ones I was thinking of is Rolling road race or Climbing Road race, but I think climbing might not help much in the threshold area.

Rolling:
This block prepares riders with broad race demands. Even the best road racers face recurrent flurries of attacks and counter-attacks, so the ability to exert varied power efforts throughout the race is key. Riders focus on increasing sprint, anaerobic and VO2max power while maintaining strength and endurance.

Climbing:
This block focuses on similar areas to those required for a Rolling Road race, but with more emphasis on sustained power than short power. Riders work to further their strength endurance by holding high percentages of FTP for sustained amounts of time without neglecting shorter bursts of high intensity.

-SG

I never thought of checking my heart rate. Sounds like a good idea. Just looked and it's definitely higher than usual so maybe I have a sinus infection based on my other symptoms. Might as well head to the doctor if it doesn't go away by Friday.

teepo

I do as well, but I find it hard to get myself to push harder when I'm seated. I think come this winter I'm going to do the Sustained Power build in Trainnerroad.

hats off to anybody who gets past the base phase. i'm assuming you're going to skip base building and jump right into the sustained power program? i don't even think i could do all three phases even if i were preparing for a race.

i'd recommend rebuilding your base and then just plowing through the courses in zwift. they're often very hilly and the mountain stages are quite brutal. that is if you have a smart trainer of course, which i highly recommend

I'm on sustained power at the moment, it's good (just finishing up build phase). Perhaps not quite as painful as the old mountain biking one used to be, but still incredibly difficult if you don't get your rest right. Literally just got off a tough 1.5 hour session.

One thing I would say, if you've got any decent amount of cycling under your belt... don't both with traditional base. Use sweetspot instead. I lost so much top end power when I did a long period of traditional base.

@Danowat. I use Elite HRV. Free, and very good.

Since I mainly use TR between December and April I was going to just skip base all together. Maybe do sweet spot for a month but I want to be actually try and complete a program this winter.

Top Bottom