• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Oof, I rode my fixie for around 40km yesterday and my legs are spaghetti. Before I fell asleep last night I was having visions of forgetting to pedal and falling over.

Mascot

There's probably some physiological explanation for this, but I can do over a dozen hard 25-milers around the woods on successive days without any issues at all, but if I take one day off then the very next ride is a real struggle with overall stamina issues right from the start and very weak & painful power bursts.

Keep on truckin' I guess.

Pro roadies have that problem on longer tours. Your body gets used to expending a lot of energy daily, and if on a rest day you suddenly stop or slow down too much the body can react badly. I forget the specifics but I'm sure someone like PT will know.

I asked a guy for a steerer tube measurement and he sent me what I can only assume is the outside measurement because he said 1 1/5 inch. Is there a way to parse that into one inch or 1 1/8?

HTupolev

I asked a guy for a steerer tube measurement and he sent me what I can only assume is the outside measurement because he said 1 1/5 inch. Is there a way to parse that into one inch or 1 1/8?
The outside of the steerer tube should be the headset measurement. This is true even on threaded headsets (1" threaded headsets take 7/8"-wide quill stems).

Mascot

Crazy energy tonight, for no reason whatsoever. I knocked almost twenty minutes off my previous time for my normal route like some Duracell Bunny on coke.

Weird.

frontieruk

There's probably some physiological explanation for this, but I can do over a dozen hard 25-milers around the woods on successive days without any issues at all, but if I take one day off then the very next ride is a real struggle with overall stamina issues right from the start and very weak & painful power bursts.

Keep on truckin' I guess.

Likely to be related to a fatigued central nervous system, Body builders aren't the only ones who should take time to recover...

Mascot

Fuck that noise, I would triple-check my spokes, hubs and skewers before even thinking of going that fast. Even 40mph scares the shit out of me on steep tarmac.

All those 'bike fail' compilations on YouTube do a very good job of reminding me not to get too big for my boots these days. When I think back to some of the crazy shit we used to do in our twenties, and to some of the huge crashes we used to shrug off... man, it scares me half to death.

Speaking of which, there's no legislating for your forks detaching themselves mid-jump...

NopeNopeNope

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine, but his headset was loose so his front wheel turned 90 degrees mid air but his bars were still facing forward. Landed on tarmac, too. It wasn't pretty.

teepo

i kinda have to side with the uci on disc brakes after that one nasty pileup that had a disc brake cut through a rider's leg from earlier this year

I got bitten by the fixie bug after putting some work into my trusty Charge Plug. Then I found out that 8bar bikes have a bike builder app:

Link

How awesome is that? Is there any reason not to buy one?

i kinda have to side with the uci on disc brakes after that one nasty pileup that had a disc brake cut through a rider's leg from earlier this year

I bet we can point to any pile up where people had massive contusions. I just don't buy that a disc will always cut into a person leg, especially given the angle it would need to happen.

I got bitten by the fixie bug after putting some work into my trusty Charge Plug. Then I found out that 8bar bikes have a bike builder app:

Link

How awesome is that? Is there any reason not to buy one?

Cost? Draws a ton of attention to it?

kottila

That story was full of holes. Was most likely a chainring that cut him. But getting rid of the sharp edge on discs shouldn't be too hard, not necessary for freds though

robox

MCipollini-Eurobike2016-3-1024x683.jpg

capitalizing on the enthusiasm surrounding motor doping, cipollini bikes has a bike designed with a hidden motor

euro bike coverage

Why are you trying to get your friend to buy a CX bike?

Anyway, get an old touring or mountain bike and call it a CX bike.

Cause we both like the fun handle bars of a road bike, but would like to be able to ride it anywhere easily.

We found stuff like the Giant Revolt 3, Threshold A Sora, and the Rocky Mountain Solo CX, but there is a lot of bike brands out there, and Im hoping you guys know of another one to look at.

All yours I hope?

Ha, nope. Probably 3-4 shop bikes and the rest are owner. Everyone riding in the group sans 2 people were on Kona so we piled them up.

Had my best mountain bike riding ever on this day. Had my highest mph average (~9mph) and very few step downs. Even railed a few berms.

My grippier front tyre arrived, it's a Conti Mountain King 2.2 Race Sport! It's really small though. I've now got three 2.2 tyres from Conti and they're all different sizes..

Teggy

Climbed my first mountain today. Its in eastern Massachusetts, so maybe a large hill to some of you, but you have to start somewhere. The total climb is about 11 miles and 2000ft of elevation. Strava classifies the 5 miles to the summit as a class 2, so not too shabby. There were 3 sections around 12-15% grade so not too fun for me.

Here's some photo evidence. I wish I hadn't been scowling but I took the picture kind of quickly.

I also beat my distance PR by about 2.5 miles and crossed 1000 miles ridden on my new bike. And the weather was great! Pretty successful day.

Climbed my first mountain today. Its in eastern Massachusetts, so maybe a large hill to some of you, but you have to start somewhere. The total climb is about 11 miles and 2000ft of elevation. Strava classifies the 5 miles to the summit as a class 2, so not too shabby. There were 3 sections around 12-15% grade so not too fun for me.

Here's some photo evidence. I wish I hadn't been scowling but I took the picture kind of quickly.

I also beat my distance PR by about 2.5 miles and crossed 1000 miles ridden on my new bike. And the weather was great! Pretty successful day.

That's a serious hill man. 11 miles of climbing aint no joke.

BTW had friends go up and try to do the D2R2 this year. Unfortunately due to mech issues they didn't get beyond 50 miles, but they loved what they did.

Teggy

That's a serious hill man. 11 miles of climbing aint no joke.

BTW had friends go up and try to do the D2R2 this year. Unfortunately due to mech issues they didn't get beyond 50 miles, but they loved what they did.

Well it's not sustained climbing, it does flatten out for periods so you can recover. Of course that means the actual climbs are steeper.

Definitely want to plan on getting a heartier bike next year and do D2R2. Guess you have to come prepared for mishaps!

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpeIVUlUwaw

Based on what I did today, I think if I was to go at a 30% grade on a compact chainset I would grind to a halt and fall over quite quickly.

Mascot

Ha, nope. Probably 3-4 shop bikes and the rest are owner. Everyone riding in the group sans 2 people were on Kona so we piled them up.

Had my best mountain bike riding ever on this day. Had my highest mph average (~9mph) and very few step downs. Even railed a few berms.

Did you try the fatbike?

Did you try the fatbike?

This go around I had the true Fatbike (Wozo), last time I had the in-between (Big Honzo). Riding a fatbike on this trail was a lot better than my last experience with one, but I still don't love them. They feel like too much extra bike to deal with on certain parts of trails and going up roots or rocks can be a pain (for me). They throw me off balance a little because of the tires.

What's something I completely overlooked though is when those things start rolling they're just a damn tank. You're just barreling through the trail and it becomes kind of wild, in a good way. I was tapping brakes to keep myself from running over berms and b/c of the slight decline it just ripped right back into life.

First time changing a gear cable and it all went perfectly. It was an internally routed one too. I'm so happy right now. Some tubeless conversions tomorrow and everything is set for cyclocross.

So guys, I'm in the market for a new bike. Right now I'm trying to decide between a recumbent trike, or a regular bicycle. I haven't owned a bike in probably 10 years or so since highschool, and I found the recumbent trike to be amazingly comfortable, but the price seemed pretty ridiculous. I don't really want to spend more than $500. I mainly want to use it for exercise. I'd like to purchase one within the week to I can get some rides in before winter.

Any recommendations for a "starter" bike? Also, how do I measure the size I should get? I'm probably going to order from Amazon.

t-ramp

Might as well go to a local bike shop - even if you don't purchase one there, you should be able to test a few kinds of bikes, and figure out what size fits you.

Personally I wouldn't get a recumbent, since going fast, leaning in curves, and hopping over stuff is too much fun. But if you don't need to be particularly nimble, and just want a comfortable way to exercise, I'm sure it would work fine.

You could also check Craigslist (or equivalent), and look for some gently used name-brand bikes. You can save at least a couple hundred off retail for pretty new examples, so for $500 you'll have a lot of options.

Mascot

Everyone (bike shops and online) is selling 2016 stock cheap right now so there are bargains galore. Even better on 2015 bikes if you can find one.

Don't buy a bike from Amazon unless it's a good named brand.

Mascot

Was actually on this trail at the weekend the booby trap was there. Someone must have hit it before me...

http://www.moredirt.com/article/Cyclists-injured-by-booby-trap-in-Forest-of-Dean/6327/

Fucking scum.

Fuuuuuck, they're doing the FoD? It's getting closer.

Actually, I had a moment last night which could have been very nasty. I put it down to natural treefall, but it could have been man made. When we rode Slade this time last year PT, did I take you down Jacob's Ladder? It's a very steep (like, 45 degree steep) very narrow and very rocky technical downhill, maybe 50 metres long. It's pretty hairy in the dry but last night it was very wet and very slippy. You have to lock your back wheel, get your ass deep over it, control your speed with the front brake and pick your lines very, very carefully. In the dry there's no stopping unless you bail. In the wet you're going a lot faster than is comfortable and are always on the very edge of control. I love it, and do it at least once on every ride there. I used to have the KoM on my hardtail.

Anyway, I was halfway down it last night when I saw a long tree branch, maybe an inch thick, totally blocking the path at chest height. There was no way to stop, no way to scrub speed, and bailing would have meant a tumble over sharp rocks. Letting go of my brakes to fend it off would have been like strapping a rocket to the bike. All I could do was plough through it and hope it either brought me to a stop without knocking me off, or it would break or move and let me through. I did manage to get through it without coming off (shouting FUUUUUUCK!! all the way) but my chest and both biceps still had thick red lines across them three hours later when I showered.

I'll be treading carefully tonight, that's for sure.

Mascot

Yeah, we did Jacob's Ladder... well, as much as I could with a bike covered with bikepacking gear. :D

...and yeah, that sounds suspect.

I just remembered something from last week. Immediately after navigating Jacob's Ladder there's a really fast, smooth downhill bit where you can really get some speed up. I was bombing down there in the semi-darkness and found a huge bushy branch totally blocking my path. I slammed on the anchors but had to bunnyhop (fake clipped-in bunnyhop, natch) over the timber and through the leaves, not knowing if I was going to hit something substantial. It was quite exciting. I went back and cleared the branch and it did look like storm damage, not sabotage.

Top Bottom