• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Addnan

Any of you have experience with Ribble? I want to get a road bike for around £1200. Was looking at the R872 with full ultegra. Buying without trying is quite scary. I know they offer 30 day try and return so wondering if anyone has experience with their customer service and so on.

shock33

Any of you have experience with Ribble? I want to get a road bike for around £1200. Was looking at the R872 with full ultegra. Buying without trying is quite scary. I know they offer 30 day try and return so wondering if anyone has experience with their customer service and so on.

I've got the R872, though with 105. Didn't need to use CS beyond a discussion around the sizing, pretty painless order and came reasonably quickly (think a week or two but can't remember exactly).

Addnan

Thanks guys.

I've got the R872, though with 105. Didn't need to use CS beyond a discussion around the sizing, pretty painless order and came reasonably quickly (think a week or two but can't remember exactly).

How did the sizing fair? i'm just over 5'8", 173cm i guess. and their size guide suggest the 50cm frame, with 44c bar and 90mm stem.

On the verge of pulling the trigger, but also now wondering what new bikes they will show in Birmingham in couple of weeks..

Stryder

I've owned an R872 from Ribble for around 3 years now and still love it, it's a fantastic bike.
Have taken it to Mallorca and it is fine for climbing with and have also done some long rides (London->Paris) with it too.

I got the 50cm version and am around 183cm tall, seems like the right fit.

I can heartily endorse the frameset, I've replaced the groupset on it since with a Campy EPS system which was relatively simple to thread through with the right tools.

ELuZYOE.jpg

shock33

Like Stryder I love my R872. I'm 5'7" and have the 48cm which seems the perfect size though I probably would have been ok one size up so 50cm sounds about right.

Addnan

I am about to do something incredibly stupid, but I can't get hold of customer service. Do bikes with di2 come with the charger. Stupid question but I need to know..

Mascot

There used to be a problem in my local woods with horse riders building jumps across the paths (usually big piles of loose branches a couple of feet high) for their nags. Some were jumpable on the bike but a lot required dismounts. I'd systematically deconstruct them whenever they appeared and they'd inevitably get rebuilt, but after a few cycles of this the horse-fuckers riders eventually got the message and gave up. The woods are for everyone and I'd be dead against anything that restricts their use or inconveniences other users.

I do get a little tired sometimes of getting horse shit sprayed in my face when I ride through a big pile of it unseen, and I'm fucking fed up of stupid little dogs appearing from nowhere and trying to dive nose-first through my front spokes. Plus, just because you're in the woods doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pick up your mutt's wormy dogshit, you filthy fucking mouth-breathing thundercunts. And don't you dare fucking glare at me simply for riding my bike near your mad yappy pooch, especially when I've slowed right down or even dismounted to give you a chance to control the fucking barky bastard.

Wow. I feel a lot better now.

The woods are for everyone and I'd be dead against anything that restricts their use or inconveniences other users.

Oh, I definitely agree, the trail steward always makes sure the jumps are out of the main line, and can always be bypassed.

That jump in particular is off the main trail, and there is clearly enough room to bypass it even at speed.

The logs at the bottom of drops and descents are what really pisses me off. So much disregard for safety and so selfish.

Teggy

This is why I ride exclusively on roads, where the only danger is getting run over by a car. Or running into an opening car door. Or hitting a pothole and flying off the bike. Or getting chased by an aggressive dog.

On my long ride on Sunday we were about 1/4 mile from the finish and we got stuck at a railroad crossing for a train that was multiple miles long.

Oh, I definitely agree, the trail steward always makes sure the jumps are out of the main line, and can always be bypassed.

That jump in particular is off the main trail, and there is clearly enough room to bypass it even at speed.

The logs at the bottom of drops and descents are what really pisses me off. So much disregard for safety and so selfish.

There's nothing i hate more than stupidly place logs and obstacles, especially on flowy trails.

Heya, I want to upgrade my rear freewheel to a freehub. It's a 7 speed bicycle Shimano cassette going on. I'm looking for a 28 inch wheel and I think it's a 700c tyre. Are there any specific specs I should be looking out for when searching? I'm a little overwhelmed by how many there are and don't want to buy the wrong thing (again)

Tyre specs read 28 * 1.5 - 700 * 38S

Had a massive crash at Bikepark Wales

Busted up my other elbow (joins the one I smashed up a month or so back), broken a rib, fucked up my carbon handlebars and bent my saddle rails.

:(

Knee pads worked though. Knees are pristine.

HTupolev

Busted up my other elbow (joins the one I smashed up a month or so back), broken a rib, fucked up my carbon handlebars and bent my saddle rails.

At least you have a good excuse to be injured. I'm off the bike right now because I tweaked my right ankle and left hip by walking. Not walking about falling over or anything, just walking.

Walking is brutal. I should stick to bicycles.

Addnan

fuck man. how are you on gaf. rest and get better.

HTupolev

Got a new road bike, been tearing up my Strava segment records!
I'm not sure what I'd do about it, but it seems a little bit peculiar to have plain black R3 tires on a bike like that. I'd be temped to try the R3 redwalls, but they might not be vibrant enough to pull off that look.

What beverage color are you filling your bottles with? Red would work, but bright green or yellow might create a really cool match with the frame highlights.

I love the loudness!

vehn

That might be optimal.

Trek - project one only have the tires in black or white. If you get the aero ones that extend the tire to the center or whatever, you can have the huge bontranger logo printed in several colors.

When I replace the tire, I'll look into those colors... Trek does have a sale for those tires at $14 instead of $49, but that doesn't apply to the red trim version :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not sure what I'd do about it, but it seems a little bit peculiar to have plain black R3 tires on a bike like that. I'd be temped to try the R3 redwalls, but they might not be vibrant enough to pull off that look.

What beverage color are you filling your bottles with? Red would work, but bright green or yellow might create a really cool match with the frame highlights.

I love the loudness!

A bridge too far.

HTupolev

A bridge too far.
The most difficult part of N+1 is working out the appropriate beverage color formula.

D:

KYQbUgJ.jpg

Or if the bike is designed that way, like mine. I can't tell which model of Trek this is.
It's a customized Domane SLR, through the Project One program. You can choose from a variety of paint patterns and colors, and those flames are one of the options. Pick a red primary color, a yellow-to-orange gradient as the secondary for the flames, and a bright green tertiary color, and there you go.

New bike day is great.

But slam the stem (at least a little bit more)! Your saddle is almost same height to your handlebars!
How high the stem should be depends on how aggressive you want the bike's posture to be, and on your body geometry. There are a lot of reasons to want to be fairly upright (wrist position, neck or back comfort, traffic visibility, etc).

And if you're someone who cruises from the drops when solo or pulling, having the bars at nearly saddle-height isn't even all that upright. I keep my bars in that same ballpark, and I actually think it lets me get more aero that if I had them lower; I couldn't comfortably cruise from the drops if they were much lower, it makes the hoods a good climbing posture, and the height of the tops makes "goofy" postures like the tuck or the phantom aerobars surprisingly stable and comfortable (as much as I joke about the phantoms, I do actually use them on occasion when I'm not in the middle of a paceline).

Teggy

The most difficult part of N+1 is working out the appropriate beverage color formula.

D:

It's a customized Domane SLR, through the Project One program. You can choose from a variety of paint patterns and colors, and those flames are one of the options. Pick a red primary color, a yellow-to-orange gradient as the secondary for the flames, and a bright green tertiary color, and there you go.

How high the stem should be depends on how aggressive you want the bike's posture to be, and on your body geometry. There are a lot of reasons to want to be fairly upright (wrists, traffic visibility, etc). And if you're someone who cruises from the drops when solo or pulling, having the bars at nearly saddle-height isn't even all that upright.

Makes sense then. The Domane is their endurance race bike, much like my Specialized Roubaix - its geometry naturally lends itself to a more upright position with the saddle closer in line with the stem.

HTupolev

Whoa.

Compass just launched the Snoqualmie Pass. 700x44mm road tire.

EL variant is just 325g.

o_O

My desire to get a new bike made for skinny tires ever again keeps plummeting. Even weight-weenieism is rapidly becoming a feeble defense.

Addnan

question. first carbon bike. but went with an alloy post to start with. cutting costs a bit. anyway the question do i need to apply something to the seat post when it's alloy going into carbon?

First CX race of the autumn finished, it was right next door at my local trails and I don't think I've ever gone so fast on them. It also seems I didn't finish last, which would be a nice bonus if true.

I was getting super tired towards the end but my speed still increased because every lap I learned more about how to ride a cx bike.

edit: I think there'll be at least a couple of pics of me, I'll post em if I don't look like an absolute dork.

JPKellams

And? Unless you're riding it, what do you care what he does to his bike?

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Well, since it is a message board for discussion, I don't care what he does to his bike, but I care to discuss it. So have a cookie and let me discuss.

The Domane is an endurance frame, which is already really really upright. That front stack height, along with the really aggressive positive stem angle means that he is probably riding nearly completely upright. I would imagine that is going to actually be more painful if he is not flexible because then he is using his core muscles to control the bike with the added wind resistance of such an upright position. The reach looks really long as well. Obviously I'm not his mechanic or his bike fitter, and I hope his Trek shop did a fitting for a nice Project One bike like that... That upright of a position would be really comfy on the neck muscles though.

My second bike has similar geometry to this bike and I test rode this frame (Domane eTap) before buying my Tarmac. So I'm not just saying this to criticize his bike or his position.

And if you're someone who cruises from the drops when solo or pulling, having the bars at nearly saddle-height isn't even all that upright. I keep my bars in that same ballpark, and I actually think it lets me get more aero that if I had them lower; I couldn't comfortably cruise from the drops if they were much lower, it makes the hoods a good climbing posture, and the height of the tops makes "goofy" postures like the tuck or the phantom aerobars surprisingly stable and comfortable (as much as I joke about the phantoms, I do actually use them on occasion when I'm not in the middle of a paceline).

Yeah, I can understand that, but I've got the sneaking suspicion that the +17 stem angle is actually making the ends of the drops slightly further away than something like a +/- 7. If you were fit like that onto that frame size, then all good. To me, it looks a bit odd, but then again, not everyone needs to ride a Domane looking like Cancellara.

According to Strava's guesstimate my average power during the race was about 230W. Which would mean that it's also reasonably close to my FTP since it took about an hour and I rode pretty close to the limit.

I have no idea if that's terrible or middling or what. Or just plain wrong seeing as how I don't have a power meter and the app was guessing.

Top Bottom