• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

muu

I love my bike but because of Bart's stupid policy about bikes on trains during commute hours, I need a folding bike if I want to be able to bike to work.

I know that Stinkles bought the Dahon Uno last year but does anyone else have experience with folding bikes. Considering the Uno myself but would like to hear other options.

Thanks!

I have a Bike Friday pocket crusoe, very comfortable bike (for a folder) but it's more of a "bike that folds" than a folding bike. The main strength with these guys is that you can specify all the parts, the problem being that you pay some wallet-busting premiums. I got a full Tiagra setup (albeit the 4600s, though that caused headaches of its own) to cut down on costs, and even then w/ the amount I paid I could have gotten a full-carbon setup with ultegra parts on it.

I'm looking to buy my first bike ever some time this week. I asked a friend who's an avid rider and he recommended a road bike based on my location. I mostly want to use it to, on and from a bike trail about 5 minutes from my house, but I'll probably stick it on my car and use it at the big park downtown from time to time.

I have zero knowledge of anything technical though...based on my size (6'1" and about 250 lbs) I'm assuming I'm going to need a pretty large bike. What size frame should I be looking at? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration with my height and weight?

I was looking into this used one on Craigslist, the guy lives around the same trail as me so I could check it out and maybe take it on a test ride.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/2919466562.html

5G45F65Ma3K93L53J1c3o79708e3cb6831dca.jpg

Looks like it's about $100 off the 2009 MSRP according to Bikepedia, but if there's something specifically wrong with this brand I could keep looking.

Once I do find something I like, what is some of the absolute neccessary gear? My friend gave me an old pump and tool kit. I'm looking at picking up an LED headlight, and front and rear lights, some gloves and of course a helmet. Anything else I should be looking for?

Any advice would be super awesome and appreciated.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My bike was just stolen from the controlled access area of my building. Lock cut off and left on the floor. 2012 Trek 7.5 FX :|

Time for an upgrade? :D

Gibson

Neo Member
I apologize for posting this here, but I'm new to neogaf and can't find an answer to my question. I checked the faqs, but am still having a difficult time. 1st, what is neogaf's official e-mail, so that I may direct my questions to someone. 2nd, why am I unable to create threads, but can reply to an already established thread. I apologize again for putting this here but have tried to find the answers elsewhere. Thank you.

Fixed1979

My bike was just stolen from the controlled access area of my building. Lock cut off and left on the floor. 2012 Trek 7.5 FX :|

Time for an upgrade? :D

Shitty buzz, hopefully insurance has you covered.

Ended up buying an AR5 a couple weeks back, got a 2011 and saved a couple hundred bucks. Enjoying it so far, but quickly realizing how out of shape I am...I knew it was bad but shit. I've been taking spin classes for a couple weeks to help but I have a long way to go.

ameratsu

I apologize for posting this here, but I'm new to neogaf and can't find an answer to my question. I checked the faqs, but am still having a difficult time. 1st, what is neogaf's official e-mail, so that I may direct my questions to someone. 2nd, why am I unable to create threads, but can reply to an already established thread. I apologize again for putting this here but have tried to find the answers elsewhere. Thank you.

1) You can PM a mod directly if you have a question that isn't already answered in the FAQ. However, I would suggest posting your questions here instead of PMing a mod.

2) You need to have 300 posts and be a member for at least 3 months before you are automatically upgraded to "Member", at which point you can make threads. This is answered in the FAQ.

just joined Strava. All you have to do is press play, throw your smartphone in your saddlebag and then go for your ride, hit finish ride and it compiles all these badass statistics you can view your ride map, compare segments with other riders in your area, see speed, elevation and power graphs and a lot more. Its totally sweet and gives me way more incentive to go on rides than any other app i've used.

Jobiensis

just joined Strava. All you have to do is press play, throw your smartphone in your saddlebag and then go for your ride, hit finish ride and it compiles all these badass statistics you can view your ride map, compare segments with other riders in your area, see speed, elevation and power graphs and a lot more. Its totally sweet and gives me way more incentive to go on rides than any other app i've used.

I've been using it for a while with my Droid and now iPhone. I've got to get a Garmin because it kills my phone battery. Once I start my long training rides the battery will not make it.

I wish they would do some updates to the site, but I find it is loads better than mapmyride or ridewithgps.

RivalCore

My SPD's and pedals arrived today so I got to test them this evening. First time ever using clipless pedals and I'm kinda dreading the cycle to work tomorrow. I understand the technique for releasing but sometimes it takes a second take to get them to release.

Does the technique become second nature after a while or am I doomed to a life of falling sideways in traffic?

Fixed1979

My SPD's and pedals arrived today so I got to test them this evening. First time ever using clipless pedals and I'm kinda dreading the cycle to work tomorrow. I understand the technique for releasing but sometimes it takes a second take to get them to release.

Does the technique become second nature after a while or am I doomed to a life of falling sideways in traffic?

You can always keep loosen them till you feel comfortable. My mountain bike SPD's are relatively loose and I don't have any worries. Depending on how much you bike there's a chance you'll end up falling eventually...I've had two, one in my driveway, and one on a trail by myself.

B-Ri

I want a bike sooooo bad, but I am too afraid to go to craigslist or a bike store without someone knowledgable, I dont want to get screwed!

D=

Chris R

Got a new bike today. Liking it so far, so much better than my old pos. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a fitted 5k bike, but for now my new '10 $500 entry road bike will do.

Instantly noticeable time improvement too, from 5 min miles to 4 min miles. Need to raise the seat just a bit more and find a way to get the toe holds off too since I bike in my tennis and not in racing shoes.

Any difference between Strava and Endomodo? That is what I'm using now.

MightyKAC

Hey bike gaf,

Here's are a few (hopefully) simple questions. After riding my bike for about ayear I've somehow managed to break a few spokes on my back wheel. My questions are, is this something I can easily fix myself and how the hell did I manage to break them in the first place???

Got a new bike today. Liking it so far, so much better than my old pos. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a fitted 5k bike, but for now my new '10 $500 entry road bike will do.

Instantly noticeable time improvement too, from 5 min miles to 4 min miles. Need to raise the seat just a bit more and find a way to get the toe holds off too since I bike in my tennis and not in racing shoes.

Any difference between Strava and Endomodo? That is what I'm using now.

I haven't used Endomodo much but it looks like Strava is much more geared toward cycling specifically and running as an afterthought whereas Endomodo looks like one app fits all distance sports

RivalCore

You can always keep loosen them till you feel comfortable. My mountain bike SPD's are relatively loose and I don't have any worries. Depending on how much you bike there's a chance you'll end up falling eventually...I've had two, one in my driveway, and one on a trail by myself.

I fell in my drive way the first night. Forgot to realise the tension spring and I fell over sideways trying to release myself.

A week later, so far so good. The added upstroke definitely makes the inclines a lot easier and I've knocked off two minutes on my commute thanks to them. I still get a little panicky when it comes to busy junctions during traffic because sometimes (even on the loosest tension) they don't release on the first take.

Shame there's issue with my crank shaft, it's clicking and creaking on the left side like a motherfucker. Badly need to get my LBS to service it.

Chris R

I haven't used Endomodo much but it looks like Strava is much more geared toward cycling specifically and running as an afterthought whereas Endomodo looks like one app fits all distance sports

Cool, I'll just stick with Endomodo then since it is working for me and I already have all my accounts setup. Need to find what size of Allen wrench I need to adjust my seat height though, bike didn't come with one :|

davidnic

Hey bike gaf,

Here's are a few (hopefully) simple questions. After riding my bike for about ayear I've somehow managed to break a few spokes on my back wheel. My questions are, is this something I can easily fix myself and how the hell did I manage to break them in the first place???

I would suggest to go to the your local bike shop and get them to look at your wheel set, If your wheel set is crap it might be cheaper in the long run to buy a solid training wheel set. eg. Mavic Aksium

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/Aksium

demented

So my bike got stolen from in front of my doors, on 4th floor of building while chained to railing...
Not only that but they broke into someone's storage room on top floor and tried breaking into basement apartment, probably thought it was storage but someone was inside.
Dunno when this happened, was awake whole night and didn't hear anything.

And worst thing is they had camera pointed at them but didn't stop them, but with my luck camera has been of for few years and needs to be repaired :(

Not an expensive bike but still, feels bad man.jpg

Can someone out there suggest a nice road bike for between $750-1000? Willing to possibly spend a little more if it's worth the money, but I'd like to stay in that range. Just need something for 20-25 mile rides at least once a week or so. I'm a fan of the Specialized brand of bikes, but only because I think they look nice, haha. But I do see they're fairly popular.

I've been using a mountain bike for a lot of rides in the city and on the road and I'm looking to finally get a 2nd bike since I've been doing more of those lately than mountain rides. Thanks for the help!

ameratsu

My friend got a 2011 Giant Defy series bike for about 700 canadian as it was on sale,

I have the higher end 2010 model and it's an amazing bike. Very light, sturdy and the shimano parts are very well made.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.3/7307/44049/

That's a nice bike. I was suprised at how well Giant's aluminum frames ride. I actually bought a 2011 Giant on sale recently, but mine is a TCR. Though with 105 components it was a little more, even as a closeout.

Can someone out there suggest a nice road bike for between $750-1000? Willing to possibly spend a little more if it's worth the money, but I'd like to stay in that range. Just need something for 20-25 mile rides at least once a week or so. I'm a fan of the Specialized brand of bikes, but only because I think they look nice, haha. But I do see they're fairly popular.

I've been using a mountain bike for a lot of rides in the city and on the road and I'm looking to finally get a 2nd bike since I've been doing more of those lately than mountain rides. Thanks for the help!

Go to a local bike shop, ask questions, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Ride some bikes and go for what suits you best.

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora

Go to a local bike shop, ask questions, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Ride some bikes and go for what suits you best.

Thanks. I wasn't going to buy anything blindly online, I was just looking for some suggestions as to what brands or models to keep an eye out for in that price range. Unfortunately I live in a town where local bikes shops are not common so there's really only 1 or 2 that are worth looking at, and they don't have the largest selections. I will check out that Bianchi, Electric. Thanks.

cbox

That's a nice bike. I was suprised at how well Giant's aluminum frames ride.

I tested a bunch of different brands and as soon as I got on the Giant I knew I would buy it, was so smooth and my back feels great even after 8 hours of riding.

Can someone out there suggest a nice road bike for between $750-1000? Willing to possibly spend a little more if it's worth the money...

Any entry-level aluminum bike from the major American brands (Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Felt, etc.) will be worth your money. I've heard good things about the Cannondale CAAD series--look into those.

Basically, the jump in quality between a $300-400 bike and a $1000-1500 bike is huge. But the jump between a $1000-1500 bike and a $5000 is not as big.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the frame is more important than the components. If you can get a better frame with Shimano 105 (or perhaps Ultegra), then that's preferable over a lesser frame with Dura-Ace or Sram Red or whatever.

I looked around a bit more, and it seems like a Felt F85 with Shimano 105 is solid in terms of bang for buck. Around $700-800. Also, it's worth looking around locally for used bikes. There's lots of folks that pick up biking on a whim, then drop it and dump their gear on craigslist.

Edit: And keep in mind that these bikes I mentioned are for going fast, basically. So clipless, bibs or biking shorts, etc. If you're looking for a bike for recreational riding, you might want to look at other models.

davidnic

Another thing to keep in mind is that the frame is more important than the components. If you can get a better frame with Shimano 105 (or perhaps Ultegra), then that's preferable over a lesser frame with Dura-Ace or Sram Red or whatever.

Exactly right! The frame is basically the heart and soul of the bike.

I'm looking to buy my first "decent" bike. After reading through this thread and other forums I've decided to get a Trek 7.3 FX.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_3_fx/

2010_trek_73fx.jpg

This bike will probably be used on pavement, asphalt to commute and trails around town. Does anyone have experience with this model? Is there a better option in this category and price range? I should mention that I'm not looking to spend above $700 until I'm sure I like riding and do it on a consistent basis.

I'm looking to buy my first "decent" bike. After reading through this thread and other forums I've decided to get a Trek 7.3 FX.

This bike will probably be used on pavement, asphalt to commute and trails around town. Does anyone have experience with this model? Is there a better option in this category and price range? I should mention that I'm not looking to spend above $700 until I'm sure I like riding and do it on a consistent basis.

This is the bike that I have, got it last summer. You won't be disappointed, I have no complaints about it whatsoever. I ride on roads (but the roads here aren't all that great, so more rough than you might think) and also do some light trail rides. Rides on gravel, etc. no problem.

I'm not a fanatic, but I've ridden on this bike for 20 mile, hilly stretches, with no problems.

robox

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

so...... i just found out the tour of california is happening starting this sunday.

anybody ever try to spectate it?
i'm gonna try to get my car-less ass from san fran to santa rosa. says 2 hour trip by bus, so i have to get up really early to catch the start
then maybe play hooky on monday morning as they start the stage in sf.

RivalCore

Bicycle GAF,

My bottom bracket needs to be taken out and maintained (or replaced). So I need to buy a toolkit for this and any future maintenance that will likely come in the future.

I'm using a Specialized Sirrus Comp 2012 and I want to make sure I buy the right tools;

Bike;
http://www.specialized.com/au/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=61563&scid=1102&scname=Multi+Use+

Tools;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-workshop-tool-kit/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shimano-cartridge-bottom-bracket-tool/

Would that be sufficient to start with? I figure if I make a complete balls of it, I can take it to my LBS but in the meantime I'd like to start maintaining it myself.

blanky

I'm looking for some MTB advice

I've tried it for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. However renting one every single time seems a little expensive and waste of money, for a long run anyway. Buying a bike however isnt cheap either, and i feel weary about 2nd hand. I went to a store today and I looked at some Cube bike's there, the cheapest they had there was Cube Acid for 850 euros. But in the booklet i also saw the Cube Analog for 550(100 more for disc version).

The people at the store told me that the most important part is the front suspension, that any cheaper than something like the Cube Acid would probably not be fun or work as well when really demanding something of the front suspension.

So how much of that is true, should i save some more and go for the acid or something similar or would the analog suit me fine?

My bottom bracket needs to be taken out and maintained (or replaced). So I need to buy a toolkit for this and any future maintenance that will likely come in the future.

First off, why would the BB on a 2012 bike already have to be replaced? Seems to me that'd be a manufacturing error and covered under warranty.

I Googled 'SRAM Mega Spline' BB and couldn't find any info on it. The standard SRAM system is called Giga X Pipe.

BB maintenance can be tricky because there are so many proprietary standards, sizes, specialized tools, etc. And usually you can at least 10-20k miles (if not more) on a bottom bracket.

Woohoo a bike thread! I just bought a Fuji Absolute 3 and really love it so far. My goal is to commute to/from work 3 times a week during the summer (6 miles + hills each way).

31-0312-BLK-SIDE.jpg

Brera

Banned
I'm looking for some MTB advice

I've tried it for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. However renting one every single time seems a little expensive and waste of money, for a long run anyway. Buying a bike however isnt cheap either, and i feel weary about 2nd hand. I went to a store today and I looked at some Cube bike's there, the cheapest they had there was Cube Acid for 850 euros. But in the booklet i also saw the Cube Analog for 550(100 more for disc version).

The people at the store told me that the most important part is the front suspension, that any cheaper than something like the Cube Acid would probably not be fun or work as well when really demanding something of the front suspension.

So how much of that is true, should i save some more and go for the acid or something similar or would the analog suit me fine?

Hi,

I have the Attention which is the model between the acid and the analog.

They are right about the fork. The attention has a better fork and the acid has an even better one but all three have essentially budget forks so IMO the Attention is the best compromise.

If I had a choice, I would have gone for the acid as slightly better is always good! How much do you want to spend? Just remember, the bottom of the range Aim has the same frame and Easton finishing kit as the acid...all that changes is the components and paint scheme, so it's what's important to you.

The Fork is the most expensive part to upgrade, so you might as well pay the extra £200 for the Acid and enjoy the better brakes, gears and other bits and pieces!

Top Bottom