• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I went and did this to my Steamroller today...

9f5G7.jpg

UyOOq.jpg

tWGA2.jpg

bH3nM.jpg

Prior to installing the SA 8 speed hub I was riding a White Industries freewheel. Which has been fine for the last 4 years, but I missed having gears. So instead of dropping money on the Cross Check I figured it would be a good project to convert the rear hub.

I have no idea what kind of magic is happening inside this thing but it's like having a derailleur. The back wheel weighs a ton now but the many positives outshine that single negative. It's also fun because it's so deceptive. At a quick glance you see a single cog and then you hear a gear shift. That led to some puzzling looks from some roadies.

LProtag

What are opinions on bikes like the Giant Via or Simple Seven for commutes and non-intensive riding?

I'm not a great rider at all, but I'd like something to get me places and to play around on when I'm bored. Don't want a road bike because I don't like the handles.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm looking to buy my first "decent" bike. After reading through this thread and other forums I've decided to get a Trek 7.3 FX.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_3_fx/

2010_trek_73fx.jpg

This bike will probably be used on pavement, asphalt to commute and trails around town. Does anyone have experience with this model? Is there a better option in this category and price range? I should mention that I'm not looking to spend above $700 until I'm sure I like riding and do it on a consistent basis.

Me and Evilore both formerly owned 7.5fx, but this is pretty similar. It's a great bike, good frame geometry and very comfortable and flexible. For trails, you should consider some slightly knobbier tires, but this thing could happily go off road if appropriately shod.

I am on a Gary Fisher Mendota and I LOVE it, but it may be speedier than you intend and I think last year was the last 'reall' Gary Fisher - so since they're all Treks now, the one you're looking at is perfect. Scott and others also make great light hybrids.

muu

Got through a local Century ride yesterday. Amazing what a year of riding can do, I killed myself doing 3/4 of the route last year but this time I did it 2mph faster on average, with one of them carradice bags on the bike with a bunch of miscellaneous crap inside, and a MKS Battleaxe pedal instead of clipless since the latter now exacerbates my PF pain.

Not exactly as a reward for my efforts I'm swapping out my cranks to a Shimano 105 compact. Absolutely fucking tired of messing with FSA gossamer cranks that drop chains on the downshift, and drop on the upshift when that's corrected.

Not exactly as a reward for my efforts I'm swapping out my cranks to a Shimano 105 compact. Absolutely fucking tired of messing with FSA gossamer cranks that drop chains on the downshift, and drop on the upshift when that's corrected.

Congrats on the century.

Are you sure the cranks are to blame for your shifting problem? On the face of it, it sounds more like a derailleur issue. Or are you replacing that as well? All the crank does is hold the big and small chainring in place.

muu

Are you sure the cranks are to blame for your shifting problem? On the face of it, it sounds more like a derailleur issue. Or are you replacing that as well? All the crank does is hold the big and small chainring in place.

I'm really fixing two problems -- the chain drop issue and crank length. I got short legs so I should really be running 165mm but the fsa is 172.5. Been meaning to do this for a long time (got 165 on another bike that works very well) but I just have been putting it off. Plus, I saved money on graphics cards since diablo3 already runs on my machine -- got to put the greens to good use somewhere.

As for the shifting issues, I've had the lbs try and fix it and we got it to a 'good enough' state, just that it still drops at the most inopportune times.

Chris R

Anyone have a guide to changing out a tube? I'm trying to follow the instructions but I can't get the wheel (rubber) off the frame (last step of removing the old tube)

Suffered a double puncture today, yay! At least I was only two miles from home when it happened so the walk wasn't too bad. Have to go buy another tube though (thought I had a single puncture, the back wheel was a slow leak) so if I can't figure out how to swap tubes easily and the shop doesn't charge too much I might just have them do it :p

Also, what would I be looking to adjust to get the front shifter moved horizontally a bit? My chain scrapes it in certain gears, and every now and then it will kick me down into a lower gear even though the higher gear is selected. I've fixed the grinding noise by just constantly holding the shifter inbetween gears but that hurts my hand after awhile.

Synless

I have been looking into a good exercise bike myself. I am looking for a that is lightweight, sturdy, and for flat to semi hilly terrain. I am looking for something that isn't cheap, but not too expensive, maybe a max of $650. Any help?

mclaren777

I'm thinking about buying a Specialized Crosstrail Disc but I'm hesitant about buying a "hybrid" like this. Do owners of such bikes feel that the compromises inherent to a hybrid limit their ability on either end of the spectrum (strictly road or strictly MTB)? Any long distance fatigue or easily bent wheels?

Link to Bike

ibdaSFZBcKKGq5.png

Chris R

Well good thing I wasn't able to replace my own tube (I know how to do it now though). What I thought was a single puncture was actually a DOUBLE puncture, and on top of that the sidewall of my front tire had a hole so large that the tube the store put in and inflated popped at 3/4 pressure. Ended up costing me around $50, but I guess it is a lesson learned, avoid colored things on the path because they are probably glass shards :(

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I've really loved my Crosstrail. I don't have much to compare it to, since I wasn't much of a rider before I bought it. I've put about 1,300 miles on it since last July. Initially I had some issues with the spokes breaking and my wheels getting out of true. Fortunately I had a good warranty on it and the local bike shop eventually got a handle on the problem. I've just used the bike as a commuter, so I haven't gone on any really long rides and I haven't gone on trails with it. I lack the basic knowledge about bikes to be any more specific than I have in this post, but all in all, it has been a fantastic bike.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
What was causing the spokes to break? Just a bad manufacturing batch or are they fairly fragile?

I'm honestly not sure. I wish I knew more about bikes, and I plan on rectifying that. I'm a big guy and it could have been my own weight. I'm about 230 now and I was about 255 then. Just a quick look around the internet makes it sound like the spokes in the back wheel break pretty easy if you are bigger.

Godslay

Banned
I'm thinking about buying a Specialized Crosstrail Disc but I'm hesitant about buying a "hybrid" like this. Do owners of such bikes feel that the compromises inherent to a hybrid limit their ability on either end of the spectrum (strictly road or strictly MTB)? Any long distance fatigue or easily bent wheels?

Link to Bike

ibdaSFZBcKKGq5.png

I have this exact bike although in red and black. You are not going to do much on the mtb side of things besides trails/gravel type roads. It's not really designed for much more than that. It's very smooth on the road, and I found it easy to go for fairly extended rides 20-30 miles.

I havent had any real problems with it after riding daily last spring/summer and into this year nearly on a daily basis. I had one pinch flat, and a broken chain. Good bike for the price imo.

ch0mp

I'm honestly not sure. I wish I knew more about bikes, and I plan on rectifying that. I'm a big guy and it could have been my own weight. I'm about 230 now and I was about 255 then. Just a quick look around the internet makes it sound like the spokes in the back wheel break pretty easy if you are bigger.
I'm a similar size to you and the same thing happened to me. Lost two spokes on a ride. Got them repaired. Lost another on the next ride. I got the whole wheel rebuilt by hand. Costs a little more than a machine made wheel but at least it won't break.

Tobe

im dying for a new bike, ive been using my dad's cannondale from 99' and looking how awesome bikes are right now i just want a new one. The Jekyll Carbon is just stunning.

mclaren777

I'm a similar size to you and the same thing happened to me. Lost two spokes on a ride. Got them repaired. Lost another on the next ride.
This is freaking me out a little. I currently have a Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS that I bought at Target in 2003 for $130. I've done a ton of typical MTB riding with it and never had a problem apart from the main crank bearings, which are currently starting to die. I've never bent a wheel nor broken a spoke, so I'm concerned about buying a $600+ bike if these issues are common. I realize that the Crosstrail isn't a dedicated MTB, and that's fine because I rarely do that kind of riding anymore, but it sounds like I couldn't even dabble in such activities without having problems.

i38ZgpyXCBjes.jpg

Out shopping for a mountain bike tomorrow. Looking in the $400-550 range. The trails around here are a mixed of paved/dirt/gravel. I plan on going to DE to save on the sales tax, only a 30 min drive for me.

My wife is also looking for a comfort or hybrid bike at the same time.

I will not be able to sleep tonight out of excitement.

snaffles

This is freaking me out a little. I currently have a Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS that I bought at Target in 2003 for $130. I've done a ton of typical MTB riding with it and never had a problem apart from the main crank bearings, which are currently starting to die. I've never bent a wheel nor broken a spoke, so I'm concerned about buying a $600+ bike if these issues are common. I realize that the Crosstrail isn't a dedicated MTB, and that's fine because I rarely do that kind of riding anymore, but it sounds like I couldn't even dabble in such activities without having problems.

I wouldn't stress a lot about spokes breaking. I have put over 50,000km in on my road bike over the last few years and only broken two spokes in that time. They rarely break. I have never had one break on my mountain bikes and have a done a bunch of kms on those as well. I weigh around 200 lbs if that is any help. Also spokes cost around $2 each so it isn't a huge financial burden or anything when they break on you, and you can usually ride home on the bike with just one spoke broken your wheel shouldn't be too far out of alignment.

Just bought a Specialized Hardrock SE 2012. Was hoping to get a full suspension bike but the prices start in the 1k range so this will have to do for now.

hrgrey.jpg

I like it so far but then again its pretty much my first MTB so what do I know? The saddle is shit though, so I replaced with this one from amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U7NU1Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theres some trails here in NYC

Highbridge Park Inwood, Manhattan
http://www.nycmtb.com/?page_id=285

Cunningham Park, Queens
http://www.nycmtb.com/?page_id=310

Wolfe's Pond Park, Staten Island
http://www.nycmtb.com/?page_id=289

Anyone here been to any of those? Not sure which one to go to, they are all virtualy the same distance from me, however the one in in the city would be the easiest to get to by train. Also I don't have any gear. Looking to buy a helmet (for trails/possible dirt jumps) but I really hate how they look, was thinking of getting this...

...prolly too much eh? Heh I dunno anyways yea MTB is something I am looking to get into this summer.

I was thinking of getting that exact bike for commuting to work but my local Trek dealer didn't have one in stock so I got a Linus. But I still love the design and color of the Belleville. How much did it cost you?
I found a used one for $450 in almost perfect shape here locally in a stroke of luck. I have no idea how much they are in a store but that is $300 off msrp.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I've got a fairly entry model hybrid bike (Focus Marakhas) which I love, but my cycling in general is suffering because I do not know how to ride out of the saddle.

When I was young I broke my arm biking and never rode a bike again (just about literally) until now. Was easily able to get up and running again, and I'm fairly competent at gearing and maintaining a good cadence...but I have no ability to get off the saddle to help push me up steeper inclines and instead take every hill seated with my legs doing all the work.

What's the trick? What are some tips?! I haven't found anything online that teaches you how to do this properly...and the few videos I have found are in reference to road bikes with those down handles that you can rest your bodyweight on...and even those don't go over technique, they just assume you know how.

I assume I should be in a tougher gear so my bodyweight can rest on the pedals without spinning out of control? Should I have all of my weight on my arms and I'm just spinning my legs?

HALP! :lol

I can ride about 15 miles right now over an area with steady inclines/declines and a few more intense ones...dirt path or loose rocks the whole way...but those inclines gas me so much more than they need to and I can't help but think that I could rock out 25-50 miles with just some ability to relieve my legs on those inclines.

mclaren777

I assume I should be in a tougher gear so my bodyweight can rest on the pedals without spinning out of control?

That's my advice. I'm the opposite of you (riding my whole life with occasional gaps along the way) and I'm the kind of rider who never changes out of the hardest gear my 21-speed MTB has, even if I'm facing a long hill. If you keep the gearing harder than normal, you can treat hills like climbing a long flight of stairs. You can also use your arms to help pull you towards the handlebars and I like to really articulate my ankles at the bottom of each stoke. Once you get good at it, the whole process becomes a full-body experience.

cbox

Got this from my gopro this past weekend in Toronto, Ride for heart was awesome!

duTGal.jpg

Can't wait for Saturday & Sunday, 200km from Toronto to Niagara Falls for my 3rd time. Anyone else here doing it by chance?

RubxQub

That's my advice. I'm the opposite of you (riding my whole life with occasional gaps along the way) and I'm the kind of rider who never changes out of the hardest gear my 21-speed MTB has, even if I'm facing a long hill. If you keep the gearing harder than normal, you can treat hills like climbing a long flight of stairs. You can also use your arms to help pull you towards the handlebars and I like to really articulate my ankles at the bottom of each stoke. Once you get good at it, the whole process becomes a full-body experience.

That's what I'm looking for so badly...right now when I stand up out of the saddle I feel like I'm about to lose control of my bike entirely. I can pump the pedals a bit, but I'm not at all comfortable doing it and I'm sure I'm losing most of the benefits by being all jerky/awkward about it.

I did just get toe clips installed on my bike so I'm wondering if that is going to help or hurt my ability to learn this. I'm thinking help, but I'd be afraid that I'm going to bail and now I'm "clipped" into my pedals and end up taking a hard crash instead of just putting my foot down.

Jobiensis

That's what I'm looking for so badly...right now when I stand up out of the saddle I feel like I'm about to lose control of my bike entirely. I can pump the pedals a bit, but I'm not at all comfortable doing it and I'm sure I'm losing most of the benefits by being all jerky/awkward about it.

I did just get toe clips installed on my bike so I'm wondering if that is going to help or hurt my ability to learn this. I'm thinking help, but I'd be afraid that I'm going to bail and now I'm "clipped" into my pedals and end up taking a hard crash instead of just putting my foot down.

It's actually easier on flat bars than road bars. Probably should be in a much higher gear, I'll usually up shift twice before standing unless it is a very steep hill (using a double compact). What sort of speed are you spinning at (rpm)? There is nothing wrong with spinning up hills, going out of the saddle allows more power, but at a higher respiratory cost. It is useful on long hills to change up the muscle groups you are using, on very steep hills where you don't have gearing to spin, or short hills that you can sprint over.

To get smooth you will need to practice. You don't usually spin very fast while standing.

muu

Was going to replace cranks for my road bike over the weekend, only to find that Jamis bikes have a wonky proprietary BB30 setup that's incompatible w/ full-fledged BB adapters. It's narrower by 2,3mm in the middle, which makes it impossible for these adapters to pass through. Least the adapter (a Praxis Works adapter, which DOES look well-made... if I could use it) is returnable. Going to get bearings and an alternate set of adapters from LBS when they get it in stock, too bad it won't come in time for the local club TT tomorrow, but then again forecast is for 30mph winds so I'd probably have been heading there w/ my commuter bike anyway.

RubxQub

It's actually easier on flat bars than road bars. Probably should be in a much higher gear, I'll usually up shift twice before standing unless it is a very steep hill (using a double compact). What sort of speed are you spinning at (rpm)? There is nothing wrong with spinning up hills, going out of the saddle allows more power, but at a higher respiratory cost. It is useful on long hills to change up the muscle groups you are using, on very steep hills where you don't have gearing to spin, or short hills that you can sprint over.

To get smooth you will need to practice. You don't usually spin very fast while standing.
My RPMs are probably something like 70-90. I've never measured it formally, but that seems about right. While climbing I can get knocked down to something like 50 on my lowest gearing. I always try and keep my cadence high, though.

What's holding me back from going much further distances is muscle fatigue...leaning on my heart to relieve my legs is exactly what I need. My heart has plenty in the tank but my legs are hosed....and I'm not in bad shape or something where I'd expect to get knocked in my ass muscle-wise like that. Those steep inclines just sap me hard. I expect them to be hard, but I know standing out of the saddle is supposed to help considerably.

Hilti92

My girlfriend and I just picked up two bikes today. Just cheap Zellars and Toys r Us ones. Are car racks for the top or trunk racks better?

joevigilante

Neo Member

the most efficient way to climb is to be seated while spinning at a high, consistent cadence but as mentioned out of saddle pedaling does have its benefits. When standing up to pedal, lean your body forward. This puts your weight at the front and will help you ride straighter. Also while standing, you want to rock the bike left and right with your arms. Here's an example from this year's Giro D'Italia with all the elite climbers going up a monstrous mountain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0553QJHU4&feature=relmfu. This rocking motion gives you a bit more leverage to turn your cranks over. Most people just sway their forearms side to side while keeping their upper body steady to save energy although Alberto contador, the best road climber in the world, has quite a bit of body sway to his technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noilbhDSQGI&feature=player_detailpage#t=704s

Toeclips or other cleat-and-pedal combo is great because you can use your hamstrings to pull up in addition to using your quads on your other leg. Won't be long before you'll find it much more efficient.

try to ride at a higher cadence when climbing to make it more cardio than muscle although muscle fatigue will occur on pretty much any longer climb. Lance Armstrong's big thing was spinning all the way up the hills which is now a common practice amongst coaches. i've been trying to do this myself too but sometimes my ego tells me to harden the fuck up and put it in a bigger gear only for me to cramp up a few minutes later.

So after consulting Gaf about purchasing a Scott Speedster S20 but being worried about little to no information on the internet about it, I can safely say it is an amazing bike. Put it through the motions for the last three months even though I said I would post about it a week after purchase. It is everything I could ever ask for in a high end aluminum bike without breaking the budget and I cannot recommend enough that if you are on the fence when it comes to a road bike purchase give Scott a look.

DoubleTap

My girlfriend and I just picked up two bikes today. Just cheap Zellars and Toys r Us ones. Are car racks for the top or trunk racks better?

You'll find that a decent roof rack setup will cost you more than what you paid for your bikes. For carrying just 2 bikes a trunk rack will suffice.

olore

Got this from my gopro this past weekend in Toronto, Ride for heart was awesome!

duTGal.jpg

Can't wait for Saturday & Sunday, 200km from Toronto to Niagara Falls for my 3rd time. Anyone else here doing it by chance?

Wow, 200k isn´t something you do like that, good luck. Why aren´t you using Look/Time/SPDs?

Jobiensis

My RPMs are probably something like 70-90. I've never measured it formally, but that seems about right. While climbing I can get knocked down to something like 50 on my lowest gearing. I always try and keep my cadence high, though.

What's holding me back from going much further distances is muscle fatigue...leaning on my heart to relieve my legs is exactly what I need. My heart has plenty in the tank but my legs are hosed....and I'm not in bad shape or something where I'd expect to get knocked in my ass muscle-wise like that. Those steep inclines just sap me hard. I expect them to be hard, but I know standing out of the saddle is supposed to help considerably.

I think joevigilante covered it.

70-90 is a pretty good climbing cadence while sitting, standing you will be going much slower. I think you are mistaken with thinking that standing will make it much easier for you to climb. Spinning is the aerobic option, standing is an anaerobic option. It is more taxing on your muscles and your heart. I only stand when it is a hill I can't do sitting, when I am speeding up or on slight climbs just to change it up. Spinning at 70rpm up the hill is the easiest option(as long as you have gearing).

You should practice and try to improve it though.

RubxQub

the most efficient way to climb is to be seated while spinning at a high, consistent cadence but as mentioned out of saddle pedaling does have its benefits. When standing up to pedal, lean your body forward. This puts your weight at the front and will help you ride straighter. Also while standing, you want to rock the bike left and right with your arms. Here's an example from this year's Giro D'Italia with all the elite climbers going up a monstrous mountain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0553QJHU4&feature=relmfu. This rocking motion gives you a bit more leverage to turn your cranks over. Most people just sway their forearms side to side while keeping their upper body steady to save energy although Alberto contador, the best road climber in the world, has quite a bit of body sway to his technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noilbhDSQGI&feature=player_detailpage#t=704s

Toeclips or other cleat-and-pedal combo is great because you can use your hamstrings to pull up in addition to using your quads on your other leg. Won't be long before you'll find it much more efficient.

try to ride at a higher cadence when climbing to make it more cardio than muscle although muscle fatigue will occur on pretty much any longer climb. Lance Armstrong's big thing was spinning all the way up the hills which is now a common practice amongst coaches. i've been trying to do this myself too but sometimes my ego tells me to harden the fuck up and put it in a bigger gear only for me to cramp up a few minutes later.

I think joevigilante covered it.

70-90 is a pretty good climbing cadence while sitting, standing you will be going much slower. I think you are mistaken with thinking that standing will make it much easier for you to climb. Spinning is the aerobic option, standing is an anaerobic option. It is more taxing on your muscles and your heart. I only stand when it is a hill I can't do sitting, when I am speeding up or on slight climbs just to change it up. Spinning at 70rpm up the hill is the easiest option(as long as you have gearing).

You should practice and try to improve it though.
Thanks a lot guys, I'll definitely keep at it. Luckily my neighborhood is nothing but inclines and declines so I can practice a ton around the house before I try and do it on the trails.

Really appreciate the pointers!

Just got home with this bad boy, can't wait to take it on some of the trails here. I'm hoping to work my way up to some pretty rough mountain biking.

DSCF0264.jpg

My wife picked up this comfort bike as well

DSCF0268.jpg

Is anyone else super nervous when you're driving your bikes on a car mounted rack? I drive a Civic and have a rack that attached to the trunk. Everything's secure but seeing the bikes bouncing in the rear-view mirror every bump is nerve racking.

Chris R

2012 Giant Defy 2, amazingly comfy!

Sweeeeeet! Never really heard of Giant until I went shopping for my bike 1 month ago. Love my Defy 3. If/when it breaks down in a bunch of years (thing is pretty damn solid considering the trails/sidewalks conditions I ride on) I'd probably upgrade to a 2 or 1. Only put 175mi on it so far, waiting until I hit 200+ to take it in for the first (free!) tune-up, can't wait to see what this thing can do when it is properly tuned after being broken in.

cbox

Sweeeeeet! Never really heard of Giant until I went shopping for my bike 1 month ago. Love my Defy 3. If/when it breaks down in a bunch of years (thing is pretty damn solid considering the trails/sidewalks conditions I ride on) I'd probably upgrade to a 2 or 1. Only put 175mi on it so far, waiting until I hit 200+ to take it in for the first (free!) tune-up, can't wait to see what this thing can do when it is properly tuned after being broken in.

Honestly, it was one of the best rides in its price range. I cleaned my chain the other day after embarrassingly neglecting it, and it feels like a brand new bike. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, though I am booked for a test drive on a new Cipollini bike next week. The whole thing weighs something like 5 lbs. Never been on a fully carbon bike before, I'm afraid I'll buy it on the spot :D

muu

Got Wheels MFG shims at the LBS, shimano cranks work like a charm! It's gonna take a while to get used to the shorter crank though... it's definitely a better fit for my legs, but I'm gonna have to learn to pedal faster at lighter gears.

Not sure I understand about look/time/spd? And thanks!

2012 Giant Defy 2, amazingly comfy!

The first comment was regarding your toe clips (those things mentioned are the common clipless types), and a brevet would be the 200k event. Prevailing thought is that clipless is more comfortable for long distances.

I haven't had problems w/ platform pedals though, centuries and longer seem easier on it even considering you can switch around positions on your foot if anything starts to get sore. Don't know if I'm just the minority in my thoughts or people resisting change after they invested in their fancy carbon fiber shoes (I just got the low-end mountain bike SPDs so it didn't feel like I sacrificed a limb to get them). Regardless it's funny watching people at rest stops on long rides tiptoeing around on their ankles.

cbox

The first comment was regarding your toe clips (those things mentioned are the common clipless types), and a brevet would be the 200k event. Prevailing thought is that clipless is more comfortable for long distances.

I haven't had problems w/ platform pedals though, centuries and longer seem easier on it even considering you can switch around positions on your foot if anything starts to get sore. Don't know if I'm just the minority in my thoughts or people resisting change after they invested in their fancy carbon fiber shoes (I just got the low-end mountain bike SPDs so it didn't feel like I sacrificed a limb to get them). Regardless it's funny watching people at rest stops on long rides tiptoeing around on their ankles.

Aye well I look like a huge noob don't I haha.

I'm not a fan of the clips or the carbon fibre shoes. I don't like being locked into my bike. The adidas shoes I use are actually meant for rock climbing as they are 100% rubber/mesh but have about 99% breathability. Maybe eventually I'll switch but I feel efficient enough already, my leg rotation is solid and my foot never comes off the pedal. My foot never gets sore/tired either on the loops.

As for the event, it's the Ride to conquer cancer. My team and I raised 130k + over the past 3 years for cancer research in Toronto. So 2 days, 100k and change a day, gonna be an another amazing experience for sure.

muu

Aye well I look like a huge noob don't I haha.

I'm not a fan of the clips or the carbon fibre shoes. I don't like being locked into my bike. The adidas shoes I use are actually meant for rock climbing as they are 100% rubber/mesh but have about 99% breathability. Maybe eventually I'll switch but I feel efficient enough already, my leg rotation is solid and my foot never comes off the pedal. My foot never gets sore/tired either on the loops.

As for the event, it's the Ride to conquer cancer. My team and I raised 130k + over the past 3 years for cancer research in Toronto. So 2 days, 100k and change a day, gonna be an another amazing experience for sure.

lol, if you're out doing century rides you're already WAY ahead of the weekend warriors with full kits doing their 20mile weekend rides. Have fun on the ride!

...prolly too much eh? Heh I dunno anyways yea MTB is something I am looking to get into this summer.
Yeah, probably overkill, especially in the Summer. Mtn biking isn't as fashonista oriented as road cycling, so I'd say just get something cheap and well-ventilated and not worry about it. But if you can't help yourself, pick up a Bern.

Top Bottom