• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biker gang shoot out in Waco, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard that 5 gangs were involved.

If I had a motor cycle gang, I'd call them the Sonics and hang out there. Doesn't Sonic seem perfect for motor cycles?
That seems like a smashingly wonderful idea chap!

Or if that name is taken you could always
call yourselves the "420azzazz1n187killaz69". Nothin but upside there :p

vlcsnap-9879-07-23-18b0omi.png
vlcsnap-3514-09-20-12hpraq.png
vlcsnap-6149-05-09-12c1o55.png
vlcsnap-8887-11-13-062pr2b.png

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
That bubble you're in, leave it.

Really? What reason would your average person have to know the first thing about motorcycle gangs?

Also, kudos to the Waco PD for being on top of this. A gunfight in a shopping center parking lot on a Sunday afternoon could have gone a hell of a lot worse. I hope those responsible go away for a long time.

Darren870

Yo..

This for real?

I'm almost positive thats from a movie. I've seen that image before.
Probably from Wild Hogs or something like that.

Anyways, come to Australia. We have a lot of biker gangs! Though, I knew a bunch of people whose family was in biker gangs in the states. One of my friends dad owns a tattoo parlor and they were a top customer of his.

You just don't hear about them much any more I guess. Other gangs are more rampant I guess....

Here they push a lot of drugs.

masud

Banned
Soooooo bikers and titties seem like an odd match to you?

Actual titties? Sure. Not the pg 13 shit at hooters/twin peaks. I'd just expect something like this to happen outside of a seedy dive bar. Not at a national chain restaurant in the middle of a shopping center.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
From the NYT:

“Officers are continuing to arrest individuals coming to the scene with weapons,” one of the department’s Facebook postings read. “This is not the time to sight see as we are dealing with very dangerous individuals.”

Unbelievable.

Zeke

I wonder how many bandidos are going to roll into Waco from across the state. Man the amount of naive posts in this thread is damn shameful.

Yikes. That one shot is not for the squeamish. Sounds like this restaurant knew there was something brewing and alerted the cops.

Apparently both the police and the management of that local Twin Peaks knew that there was a good chance that something might go down, but when police approached them Twin Peaks "refused" to cooperate:

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/17/twin-peaks-management-police-deadly-brawl/27505571/

"What happened today could have been avoided if we would have had management at a local establishment listen to their police department and assist us," Swanton said. "They failed to do that, and this is the event that happened."

Now, this really could just be the local police department covering their asses, but it's hard to believe that the restaurant didn't know or even suspect something might go down, since apparently they host a weekly "biker's night" and probably had an idea of which gangs frequent the place.

A bunch of over-the-hill cottontops trying to hold onto the 70's.

It's like you're not even reading the thread.

Hylian7

I literally just left Waco this morning and passed by the mall where that restaurant is, was visiting family there. I didn't hear about this til I got back home, crazy shit.

Javaman

Or looking at the pictures. There are plenty of younger guys there.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of video evidence to help prosecute the right ones. I'm sure they are all getting gun shot residue testing.

I wouldn't be surpriesed if least some of the dead were just defending themselves and were shot by cops. From the outside looking in, it would be hard for the cops to make the distinction before firing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
They said no bystanders were hurt during the incident so apparently that woman's son was probably a gang member or something that I posted about earlier.

They also said that Twin Peaks management had apparently asked them to come there, I don't know for what though.

Apparently there was some sort of recruitment drive going on?

From the AP -

Police were aware of the meeting in advance, and at least 12 Waco officers in addition to state troopers were outside the restaurant, part of a national chain that features scantily clad waitresses, when the fight began.

"We've been made aware in the past few months of rival biker gangs ... being here and causing issues," Swanton said.

Officers shot armed bikers, Swanton said, adding that the actions of law enforcement prevented further deaths. It was not known if any of the nine dead were killed by police officers.

Swanton said that the restaurant's operators also were aware of the meeting in advance, and he described the management as uncooperative with authorities in addressing concerns.

"Apparently the management (of Twin Peaks) wanted them here and so we didn't have any say-so on whether they could be here or not," Swanton said.

So you have gangs up there causing issues in the past, the management refusing to cooperate to stop it and now this. I am sure corporate will shut down the location and act like they had no clue what was going on there, even though that office is about an hour away. It was all about the $$$ for location management atleast.

HariKari

I have been addicted to Sons of Anarchy this last few weeks but I had no idea this kind of Biker gangs actually existed in real life america. Crazy.

Really? Maybe I take it for granted living in the southwest, but these gangs exist and they are not to be fucked with.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
From the AP -

So you have gangs up there causing issues in the past, the management refusing to cooperate to stop it and now this. I am sure corporate will shut down the location and act like they had no clue what was going on there, even though that office is about an hour away. It was all about the $$$ for location management atleast.

..or they were too scared to turn them away. You going to tell them they can't come in?

What do biker gang members do when they're not having shootouts? Ride around and look threatening? Do they have day jobs or does gang membering pay a living wage on its own? I'm genuinely curious.

zeemumu

What do biker gang members do when they're not having shootouts? Ride around and look threatening? Do they have day jobs or does gang membering pay a living wage on its own? I'm genuinely curious.

A lot are clubs just like any other. With a higher tendency towards violence, probably. Motorcycles have their own society.

Jarrod38

For example Hells Angels do charity to pretend the are good people.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Drug and weapon trafficking. Just like any other gang, really.

^HariKari has it covered. I haven't seen a single episode of Sons of Anarchy so I don't know how they're trying to show motorcycle clubs, but in real life they're just like any other gang of cunts. If some of the responses in this thread are indicative of how the public at large views them, than the general perception is off.

Saya

Biker gangs are not just an American thing. They are real and can be extremely dangerous. Some gangs operate internationally and have chapters all over the world.

I know a lot of Twin Peaks do biker nights/days. I wonder if it was just one of those.

It's Texas, you really think someone is going to listen to warnings from the law about what some freedom loving bikers can and can't do?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Biker gangs are not just an American thing. They are real and can be extremely dangerous. Some gangs operate internationally and have chapters all over the world.

Yeah, the Bandidos were involved in the Great Nordic Biker War. A Hell's Angel clubhouse in Sweden was blown up a with a rocket launcher during that. A legit anti-tank weapon, stolen from the army.

entremet

They more like more serious fraternities lol. They have initiations and everything. It's an interesting sub culture.

They're a lot of lawlessness as well.

fritolay

There are a lot of really peaceful motorcyle groups, clubs, etc. Many times people get together in a group just for the love of driving around. There are also many good groups that do charity and other benefits to society. So for those saying I thought motorcycle gangs or whatever were good guys, well there are good and bad. Just like saying all video game folks are nerds with no girlfriends, both are stereotypes and you have a variation no matter how you group people.

I too am actually surprised there is groups with more violence and illegal activities that are active and as many as I thought they were few and far between now a days. It has nothing to do with living under a rock, the majority I know are nice and good folks that associate with such "hobby".

Nosgotham

Keep the Wacko in Waco indeed.
I know you're joking but this shit just happened to occur here. This is the spot on the interstate that was a close enough drive for those coming in. All those fools are not from Waco. We just had the privelidge of being located directly between two major metropolitan areas on a major interstate

choodi

Banned
Some of the so-called bikies in Australia have abandoned all pretence of actually being a motorcycle club and are just drug dealing scumbags.

We have groups of people within some of the clubs which the media and police have dubbed the "Nike Bikies" because of their preference for Nike shoes and clothes over traditional biker gear.

Some of these guys don't even have motorbikes, preferring to drive around in BMW X5s instead.

A great deal of the meth in Australia apparently goes through bikie gangs.

Hjod

Banned
I too am actually surprised there is groups with more violence and illegal activities that are active and as many as I thought they were few and far between now a days. It has nothing to do with living under a rock, the majority I know are nice and good folks that associate with such "hobby".

Of course there are nice clubs and friendly people within the MC community, but Hells Angels, Bandidos and so on are not really an MC club, they are more of an criminal enterprise than an MC club. I think comparing them to an Mafia is more correct.

I can't speak for the situation in the US but here in Sweden the MC clubs outright kill each other quite often, at least once a year some shit goes down and some people end up dead, it was not that long ago we had an all out war with anti tank rockets being fired, car bombs and so on, I think it's still going on in Denmark.

Bleepey

Drug and weapon trafficking. Just like any other gang, really.

^HariKari has it covered. I haven't seen a single episode of Sons of Anarchy so I don't know how they're trying to show motorcycle clubs, but in real life they're just like any other gang of cunts. If some of the responses in this thread are indicative of how the public at large views them, than the general perception is off.

SOA is basically a show with a villain protagonist. In a cast over 7 seasons and dozens of regulars, there were like maybe 5-7 out and out good guys.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

If they don't have a day job they most likely sell drugs and/or illegal firearms. I don't see why they would be any different than other gangs in that regard.

Dryk

Some of the so-called bikies in Australia have abandoned all pretence of actually being a motorcycle club and are just drug dealing scumbags.

A great deal of the meth in Australia apparently goes through bikie gangs.
And they are not people you want to cross, nor do you want to be associated with anyone who does cross them.

Hylian7

These thugs need to be taught a less- wait... biker gangs? Nevermind, those patriots were just exercising their God-given freedoms.

I was going to mention this, I find it odd that these guys haven't been widely called "thugs"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom