• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billy Hatcher - Worth $10?

Priz

A local Walmart is having a big clearance on games and has Bomberman Jetters, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, PN03 and Billy Hatcher for $10. (there's a lot of other titles for all systems, but those are some of the cube ones I remember)

I was wondering what people thought of Billy Hatcher and if it was worth $10.

That's the only one I was on the fence about. I also didn't pick up Bomberman Jetters as I don't see the appeal other than a multiplayer Bomberman game, but we have so many of those on so many previous platforms I still own... these days I'd rather play Gacharock or some Ore no Ryouri 2 player action... or SF Rush Battle mode on the Dreamcast.

rawk

If you have seen some media, know what the game's about, and it looks like you might enjoy it, then it's definitely worth $10. It's a fun little game.

I wouldn't say it is. I played the first couple of levels and found myself wishing for death. Billy's, mine, whichever.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The egg handling play mechanics bring some needed inventiveness back to platformers.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Priz said:
A local Walmart is having a big clearance on games and has Bomberman Jetters, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, PN03 and Billy Hatcher for $10. (there's a lot of other titles for all systems, but those are some of the cube ones I remember)

That's the only one I was on the fence about. I also didn't pick up Bomberman Jetters as I don't see the appeal other than a multiplayer Bomberman game, but we have so many of those on so many previous platforms I still own... these days I'd rather play Gacharock or some Ore no Ryouri 2 player action... or SF Rush Battle mode on the Dreamcast.

Get Ty. Seriously.

Avoid Billy Hatcher at all costs.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
i got billy hatcher back with the TRU 3-2 deal. Never openedit, never played it. meh. What was I thinking?

i have never played it as I dont have a gamecube, but how could it not be?! its SONIC TEAM!

some of sonic teams more quirky titles are some of the best in history!

NiGHTS into Dreams
Burning Rangers!

two of my fave games of all time..

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
LuckyBrand said:
i have never played it as I dont have a gamecube, but how could it not be?! its SONIC TEAM!

some of sonic teams more quirky titles are some of the best in history!

NiGHTS into Dreams
Burning Rangers!

two of my fave games of all time..

I loooooove Sega and it pains me to see them make bad games....but have you played other recent "hits" by them like Heroes?

i thought Sonic Heroes was done by the less talented, but still talented, Sonic Team USA... whereas Billy Hatcher was done by Sonic Team Japan, no?

I'd say Billy Hatcher is totally worth $10. I'f even go as far to say it's worth $20 - but, no more than that.

Multiplayer is definitely a blast.

BenT

Mr_Furious said:
Why do people continually ask if a game is worth $10? It's 10 FUCKING dollars!
I guess. What it's not worth is your time, which kind of renders the money question moot.

Billy is one of Cube's best platformers, and that's saying alot. It has a lot of variety, secrets and a very good multiplayer mode. Also, if you enjoy quirky upbeat soundtracks you'll really enjoy Billy's. I love this game almost too much.

Grubdog

Banned
I love the soundtrack!

I love the game too, its a very fresh take on platformers and it's just plain fun
Mr_Furious said:
Why do people continually ask if a game is worth $10? It's 10 FUCKING dollars!

Thanks for the avenue to vent ;)
I agree, the cheapest I can find games here is the equivelant to $35 US, i'd buy almost anything for $10.

All three titles are seemingly worth the amount.

BH can be a tad frustrating and frustratingly childish. However, it has a feel to it that makes it good in some way...or was that a blood vessel popping?

Ty is quite the decent platformer. I'd say it's worth the 10 buckaroos. Just don't expect anything and you'll come out content.

One of my friends picked this up recently. Its not bad. I could see myself enjoying it as much as or more than Sonic Adventure DX / Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

How about $8.99, Wario? Buy BH at BestBuy, then jaunt over to the customer service, show them the Fry's ad, and take advantage of their 110% (difference) price matching policy.

19.99 ---price matched---> $9.99 - [10% * ($19.99 - $9.99)] = $8.99

I'd advise skipping Billy Hatcher. I've played a lot of platformers so beleive me when I say this is at the back end of the bell curve. If you can't access any of the Sony platformers, like SLy, Ratchet, Jak, Ape Escape etc. then it might be interesting, although I guaruntee there'll be mind numbingly dull moments aplenty. I'd say give Ty a shot, or maybe a game like Metal Arms: Glitch in thge system if you can find it cheap. :)

MAZYORA

Priz said:

Dude, I payed 40 for it the day it came out, and it was worth every penny! If you like Super Monkey Ball and Mario 64, then you'll love Billy Hatcher! It's by far my favorite platformer this gen. It's worth full price, so at 10 it's a steal. The music alone is worth the price. Lalalalalallallalaalllalalalalal lalallaalllllallalaalalallala!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good, but not great game.

The gameplay is decent, but flawed. The mechanics could you some serious tweaking and a lot of the levels just aren't that exciting.

The simplistic, colorful visuals are a treat in 480p (very intense colors abound) and almost match the vibrant look of Sonic Heroes (though not the visual complexity). The only downside is the slowdown, which occurs far too often...especially considering that the game looks very "Dreamcast".

It's easily worth $10, though.

MAZYORA

dark10x said:
Good, but not great game.

The gameplay is decent, but flawed. The mechanics could you some serious tweaking and a lot of the levels just aren't that exciting.

The simplistic, colorful visuals are a treat in 480p (very intense colors abound) and almost match the vibrant look of Sonic Heroes (though not the visual complexity). The only downside is the slowdown, which occurs far too often...especially considering that the game looks very "Dreamcast".

It's easily worth $10, though.

Arg, I can't debate u anymore. BH destroys Sonic Heroes in every aspect graphically. Don't listen to D10x, BH is awesome graphically. DC couldnt handle it!

dark10x

MAZYORA said:
Arg, I can't debate u anymore. BH destroys Sonic Heroes in every aspect graphically. Don't listen to D10x, BH is awesome graphically. DC couldnt handle it!

What? Destroys Sonic Heroes? HOW?!

Sonic Heroes has a much greater viewing distance, higher resolution textures (with more variety), three detailed characters on screen at once (at minimum), and never drops from 60 fps. They both share a very similar style of water, but Sonic's does not cause distortion of solid edges when they appear in line with it (unlike BH's). The actual geometric construction of the levels in SH are more complex and detailed. Whether or not you dislike the game, you can't deny that Sonic Heroes is a much more graphically complex game. It's rendering more and runs at a much better framerate. What's to debate?

The ONLY aspect of BH that couldn't be easily replicated on DC is the water...

edit - Oh, and some of the distortion effects wouldn't be entirely possible on DC either.

dark10x

DCX said:
It started life as a Dreamcast game...

DCX

I'd believe that in a second! Of course, Gunvalkyrie also started life as a DC game...and the XBOX game looks quite a bit better than your average DC title.

DCX

DCX
dark10x said:
I'd believe that in a second! Of course, Gunvalkyrie also started life as a DC game...and the XBOX game looks quite a bit better than your average DC title.
Yeah, but if you see the early screens of Gunvalkyrie on DC you would see the diifference. I think they canned the DC version very early in production VS Billy Hatcher probably mid to late in the development cycle.

DCX

MAZYORA

DCX said:
Yeah, but if you see the early screens of Gunvalkyrie on DC you would see the diifference. I think they canned the DC version very early in production VS Billy Hatcher probably mid to late in the development cycle.

DCX

Dude, Billy Hatcher did NOT start out as a Dramcast game, it was always intended for GC, Naka said so in an interview.

MAZYORA

dark10x said:
What? Destroys Sonic Heroes? HOW?!

Sonic Heroes has a much greater viewing distance, higher resolution textures (with more variety), three detailed characters on screen at once (at minimum), and never drops from 60 fps. They both share a very similar style of water, but Sonic's does not cause distortion of solid edges when they appear in line with it (unlike BH's). The actual geometric construction of the levels in SH are more complex and detailed. Whether or not you dislike the game, you can't deny that Sonic Heroes is a much more graphically complex game. It's rendering more and runs at a much better framerate. What's to debate?

The ONLY aspect of BH that couldn't be easily replicated on DC is the water...

edit - Oh, and some of the distortion effects wouldn't be entirely possible on DC either.

Dark, the every level is completly drawn out in Billy Hatcher, u can view any part of a level from any point of it, with no pop up. Yes, smaller objects such as animated trees and breakable rocks FADE in, but the actual level itself is completly drawn out with zero pop-up, somthing DC couldnt do. All the effects to in BH are amazing--from the water, to the real-time deformable snow, to the lava, to the thousands of polygonal balloons flying up into the sky. I've compared the two quite thoroughly, and BH beats SH in every aspect.

Mike

I liked Billy Hatcher. I stopped playing it at the requisite ice levels, because of some questionable control mechanics, but I mostly enjoyed it. For 10 bucks, check it out.

Top Bottom