• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

S1kkZ

edgefusion said:
Thought just occurred to me,
what happened to Tenenbaum? She showed up for a bit then totally vanished for the whole rest of the game, right?

yes.
her story is useless and even gets retcond at the end of the game. there really is no reason for her to be in this game. that just reminds how much plotholes are in this game.

Truant

My favorite parts about the game, the small stuff. Pretty big spoilers.

- The unstable teleportation plasmid mini puzzle. Great stuff.
- Conclusion to the viral marketing story. I looted corpse and was like 'NOOOOO'.
- Parts of the plane from the first game scattered around the seabed.

Anyone else have cool little stuff like that?

2nak7ed.jpg

can't unsee...
=(

Truant

Solo said:
There seems to be a distinctly maze-like design to some of the levels, which I dont like.

I agree. They feel more like 'levels' than actual areas. I never used the map in the first game, but I'm constantly looking at it here. I also use health stations a lot more, never did that in the original either.

I should be picking this up soon, and have been purposely staying away from as much info and media as I can, but one question I still have that I can't recall seeing being asked or answered anywhere is this:

Does it still feel like you're a midget, like in Bioshock 1?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The main theme to this game is so fucking good. I can't stop listening to it. It's probably going to supplant Gay Fish as the most-played item in my Winamp playlist.

Ridley327

I dunno; it's tough to tell. It seems like that you're at least a little bit taller than stock Splicers, but I couldn't tell you how big Delta is supposed to be.

CozMick

Banned
Here's a nice way of finding out who is host on the PS3 version.

When you're "waiting for players to join" go to manage invites and it will tell you the host's name in the message :D :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoying the game still, but there were seriously a lot of missed opportunities here. I'm just surprised that it ended up as it did. I expected a lot more out of a game led by Jordon Thomas, to be honest. It's solid enough, but it doesn't really try anything special.

The idea of returning to Rapture well after its fall is full of potential and none of it was put to use.

With so many studios involved, I'm wondering if the game even received the full attention it deserved. If Levine has a lot of the Boston staff tied up in his next game, Thomas may not have had the same resources available. I'd imagine tons of stuff was outsourced and, ultimately, that probably made it more difficult to deliver something unique. His previous works in Thief III and Bioshock were almost like pet projects, as I understand it. Pulling off something like that across a whole game when half your team is scattered around the globe would definitely be difficult.

Solo

JaseC said:
The main theme to this game is so fucking good. I can't stop listening to it. It's probably going to supplant Gay Fish as the most-played item in my Winamp playlist.

The music is great. It and the gameplay are the two things BS2 does better than the original.

JB1981

dark10x said:
Enjoying the game still, but there were seriously a lot of missed opportunities here. I'm just surprised that it ended up as it did. I expected a lot more out of a game led by Jordon Thomas, to be honest. It's solid enough, but it doesn't really try anything special.

The idea of returning to Rapture well after its fall is full of potential and none of it was put to use.

With so many studios involved, I'm wondering if the game even received the full attention it deserved. If Levine has a lot of the Boston staff tied up in his next game, Thomas may not have had the same resources available. I'd imagine tons of stuff was outsourced and, ultimately, that probably made it more difficult to deliver something unique. His previous works in Thief III and Bioshock were almost like pet projects, as I understand it. Pulling off something like that across a whole game when half your team is scattered around the globe would definitely be difficult.

Which version you playing?

Truant said:
Regarding Delta:
I didn't catch his name, was he a character from the first game?

From what I gathered,
he's mentioned as the diver that found Rapture. I forget if his name is mentioned

E: Checking it against the guide.
You are the diver who discovered Rapture. You weren't allowed to leave and tell the world of Rapture, so they used you in the Alpha series experiments

Isn't it kind of implied that
you're the big daddy who killed Suchong, since he was killed before the Big Daddy was finalized
?

JaseC

Quick question: If a particular enemy type has a grade of A+, that means you've done the maximum amount of research, right? I didn't even give it much thought until now and I can't recall the system from the original.

Ridley327

JaseC said:
Quick question: If a particular enemy type has a grade of A+, that means you've done the maximum amount of research, right? I didn't even give it much thought until now and I can't recall the system from the original.

From what I can gather, it means you got the best footage possible from that enemy. The actual research track won't neccessarily level up since it's based on a cumulative total. You'll know you did during gameplay when the bonus shows up on screen; otherwise, you can go to the map screen and check to see your research progress across all enemy types.

JaseC said:

The grade you receive during research just signifies the quality of your research and in-turn, how many points you receive.

If you want to view how far along you are in a certain 'track', you can do so in the start menu.

Numpt3

Loving this so far, I can't see where all the hate is coming from but each to they're own I guess. I'm just enjoying being back in Rapture, so glad I picked up the collectors edition aswell :D .

tenritsu

Banned
Truant said:
My favorite parts about the game, the small stuff. Pretty big spoilers.

- The unstable teleportation plasmid mini puzzle. Great stuff.
- Conclusion to the viral marketing story. I looted corpse and was like 'NOOOOO'.
- Parts of the plane from the first game scattered around the seabed.

Anyone else have cool little stuff like that?

Seriously, all three of those hit me just as hard as they hit you.

The
Teleportation Plasmid puzzle was fun
and finding
the airplane bits on the seabed
was cool too by my god, when I killed that Big Daddy and saw that it was
Mark Meltzer
, I made an audible "Oh holy shit."

Loving this game SO SO much.

Also, does anyone else absolutely adore
Sinclair
? He is such a great guide throughout Rapture and I
did not want to kill him in the end after he was transformed into a Big Daddy by Lamb. Is there any way to avoid killing him?

Truant

Blindfutur3 said:
From what I gathered,
he's mentioned as the diver that found Rapture. I forget if his name is mentioned

E: Checking it against the guide.
You are the diver who discovered Rapture. You weren't allowed to leave and tell the world of Rapture, so they used you in the Alpha series experiments

Yeah, I got that, but just thought there may be more to it than that, maybe some connections to the other first. Can't remember anything related to that.

Truant said:
Yeah, I got that, but just thought there may be more to it than that, maybe some connections to the other first. Can't remember anything related to that.

The guide makes no mention of it from what I can see. It would of been nice to have it more fleshed out though, and looking back, there's certainly questions that are sadly left unanswered.

JaseC

Ridley327 said:
From what I can gather, it means you got the best footage possible from that enemy. The actual research track won't neccessarily level up since it's based on a cumulative total. You'll know you did during gameplay when the bonus shows up on screen; otherwise, you can go to the map screen and check to see your research progress across all enemy types.

Blindfutur3 said:
The grade you receive during research just signifies the quality of your research and in-turn, how many points you receive.

If you want to view how far along you are in a certain 'track', you can do so in the start menu.

Noted. Cheers. :)

Truant said:
I agree. They feel more like 'levels' than actual areas. I never used the map in the first game, but I'm constantly looking at it here. I also use health stations a lot more, never did that in the original either.
Heh. I used the map a lot in BioShock 1 because I knew I wanted to explore every single place before I moved on. Not really understand the criticism of the level design. The only problem with
Ryan Amusements
was because it unfolded fairly linearly.

For those who have finished the game, how far were you along when you get to
Pauper's Drop
?

Wiggum2007

I haven't played played Bioshock 1 in probably a year or two, should I refresh myself on all the little story details from the first game before I pick up 2?

Wiggum2007 said:
I haven't played played Bioshock 1 in probably a year or two, should I refresh myself on all the little story details from the first game before I pick up 2?
You could read a summary of the game and that'd probably get the job done.

Back to what people are saying about the level design. How many of you recently played BioShock before you played BioShock 2? As in, about a month before release? I mean, I haven't finished the game (far from it), but so far, the level design is on par, at the very least, with the last third/half of the game. I felt that
Audonis
was a better level than Medical Pavilion.

Also, I see the term "setpiece" being thrown around a lot in this thread and being used in several different ways, so it's getting me kind of confused. What are some examples of set pieces in the original BioShock?

Baker

Banned
Man I got one of those age-old music glitches last night during the third level. I had to listen to the "omg 50 Big Daddies are trying to sex you up" musical swell for like 1.5 hours. It drove me fucking crazy. The glitch was also part of the save files so there was no going back. It finally stopped once I got on the train loading screen.

CoLaN

Sooo... Like i said in my previous posts at first i liked the MP (PC Version), then i disliked it since people unlocked the launcher, but now at level 26 i found the sweet spot for my template (which doesn't rely on the damn launcher).

The first thing i had to do was the fix for the sensitivity like someone else said. Put your sens to 1 inthe options, then go to your Documents/Appdata and Bioshock 2 folder where you will find the MP user.ini. Here replace all the speed voices (but not the ones under
[Engine.Input]) to something lower, i use 900. You will notice a very slow mouse sens the first 5 or 6 seconds of the match, then it will be much better.

I use the Nail gun (unl. at rank 14) with the scope addon and the Tommy gun (unl. at rank 2), with the bees plasmid (it does over time damage and covers the enemies screen) and the fire plasmid. I can counter the launcher spammers most of the time and it's a fun setup

The gamemodes are really fun, especially the one where you have to hold the little sister for 3 minutes total. Still, they have to balance the granade launcher and some other stuff

Cagen

Dax01 said:
Also, I see the term "setpiece" being thrown around a lot in this thread and being used in several different ways, so it's getting me kind of confused. What are some examples of set pieces in the original BioShock?
I use the term for specificly scripted scenes such as Steinman's introduction, the moving statues, Sander Cohens master piece and all that goes along with that such as the piano bomb, the splicer waltz etc.

Cagen said:
I use the term for specificly scripted scenes such as Steinman's introduction, the moving statues, Sander Cohens master piece and all that goes along with that such as the piano bomb, the splicer waltz etc.
There have already been several of those, and all are at least decent in my opinion.
The Big Sister breaking the glass and all the water rushing in, the train dropping and shaking the whole room, getting a good look at Rapture while under water on that cliff, the splicer pushing down that bathysphere-shaped ride in Ryan Amusements, the Big Sister drawing you in with her powers, breaking the door down, in Ryan Amusements as well.

Cagen

Dax01 said:
There have already been several of those, and all are at least decent in my opinion.
The Big Sister breaking the glass and all the water rushing in, the train dropping and shaking the whole room, getting a good look at Rapture while under water on that cliff, the splicer pushing down that bathysphere-shaped ride in Ryan Amusements, the Big Sister drawing you in with her powers, breaking the door down, in Ryan Amusements as well.
Yeah there's a few, Ryans Amusements is good, the others felt too short and weren't as memorable. There is some good stuff coming though, wait til you get to Fontaine Futuristics.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Played the first couple hours last night, I'm pretty disappointed so far. I should mention that the first game is up there with my favorite games of all time, I absolutely loved it. I mean it's not like I didn't know this, but experiencing rapture for the first time was at least half the game the first time around. Now that the charm has worn off it's really just kind of highlighting how clunky the combat was/is.

And what was with the beginning being a near carbon copy of the first? Did they think I wouldn't remember or something? It's lazy at best, insulting at worst. That really didn't give me much hope for seeing some creativity through the rest of the game. We'll see though.

Cagen said:
Yeah there's a few, Ryans Amusements is good, the others felt too short and weren't as memorable. There is some good stuff coming though, wait til you get to Fontaine Futuristics.
Too short? The Piano bomb is just as short, if not shorter, than half of the stuff I mentioned.

eXistor

I finished it a few hours ago and I ave to say I loved every second of it. It's very hard to put this above the first game even though in a lot of ways it's superior. The games' length is perfect, there were absolutely no weak spots in the levels, the endgame was great (this is where Bioshock 1 really failed). The main story was definitely weaker and it's also more of the same and it's exactly that aspect that makes Bioshock the standout title of the series.

You really can't ignore the fact that Ken Levine and co. put together Rapture and all its secrets and background stories etc. and the fact that this game basically takes that and makes a few new levels out of it, as good as they are. Any sequel that does this even if it improves upon the original, doesn't deserve to be recognised as the better game, even though objectively speaking, I really do think Bioshock 2 is a better game in most ways.

But please, PLEASE, don't make a Bioshock 3. Have the balls to leave it at this and maybe use Rapture for a different game altogether. I know I sound like a broken record, but make it a different genre with completely different characters and story and have it be set in Rapture in its glory days. My vote goes to a murder-mystery adventure game.

So far I'm liking this one more than the first. The first was amazing and had a great twist and did an excellent job of establishing Rapture but I feel this game is starting to explore some cooler mythos and I like the more focused storyline. I also think the current place I'm at now is better than any level in the original.

I'm still early in so these are just some 2nd inning thoughts, but so far so good.

I cant believe some of the comments around here. Im 6 hours in and loving it. The gameplay is wayyyy better than Bioshock 1. People are saying its to hard, then play the damn game on easy. I love that its a challenge, it makes me actually think and use traps and plasmids. The level design is still good and more open in areas, which is nice not feeling cramped in a hallway like bioshock 1. I can actually move some where and set traps and lead splicers to my turrets or security cameras. I didnt expect this game to give me the holy shit "wow" factor bioshock 1 gave me, because games like that come once every 5 years or so

Baker

Banned
Solo said:
Seriously? Im that far and Ive played 2.5 hours. Short game is short, I guess.
I have played for 5-6 hours and just passed that level. If you turn off the objective arrow and explore every nook and cranny, it probably doubles the playtime. I think half of that area is optional "side quest-y" type stuff.

Solo

Baker said:
If you turn off the objective arrow and explore every nook and cranny, it probably doubles the playtime.

First thing I did was turn off the quest arrow (who thought this was a good idea?) and took off my helmet.

Top Bottom