• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

RedStep

eXistor said:
But please, PLEASE, don't make a Bioshock 3. Have the balls to leave it at this and maybe use Rapture for a different game altogether. I know I sound like a broken record, but make it a different genre with completely different characters and story and have it be set in Rapture in its glory days. My vote goes to a murder-mystery adventure game.

I say they make an action-RTS (think Brutal Legend) - relive the civil war!

Or a Maxis-style SimRapture game. I'd buy both of those.

Leonsito

JaseC said:
The excuse as to how the bug found its way back into the game is bloody priceless. :lol

This was discussed earlier, btw. :p

Yeah, I suppossed that, sorry.

It's the first time I clicked in this thread (I think) what other issues are with the PC version? I read something about mouse speed (the same thing that happened in the original Bioshock) and something about ... machines without voices ?

I started this tonight and just finished
Ryan Amusements.
Really starting to get into it now and I'm really enjoying being a Big Daddy, adopting the Little Sisters and protecting them seems like it will be really fun - almost a puzzle, in fact. I spent a good 2 minutes placing mines in certain places etc.

I wasn't amazed with the first game, though, and the same can be said here. Everything is done really well but it just isn't grabbing me as much as I'd like it to. I don't even want to say it's the fault of the game - my only complaint with the original was that the gunplay felt weak, which is pretty much fixed in this one - it's just a really odd thing that it's never clicked with me as much as it has most people.

I'm enjoying it regardless and will probably blast through it this weekend - I just had a glimpse at the IGN guide and it looks like it will be quite a short experience, which is good, because the original went on for an hour or two too much I feel.

Outtrigger888 said:
I cant believe some of the comments around here. Im 6 hours in and loving it. The gameplay is wayyyy better than Bioshock 1. People are saying its to hard, then play the damn game on easy. I love that its a challenge, it makes me actually think and use traps and plasmids. The level design is still good and more open in areas, which is nice not feeling cramped in a hallway like bioshock 1. I can actually move some where and set traps and lead splicers to my turrets or security cameras. I didnt expect this game to give me the holy shit "wow" factor bioshock 1 gave me, because games like that come once every 5 years or so

Yeah I'm surprised that people generally find the combat to be boring. The animations can be a bit wonky, but I had more fun with the encounters in this game than I did with Halo 3. I'm not saying Bioshock is a better shooter than Halo by any means, but the sheer variety that this game has for dealing with enemies and the crazy holy shit type of things you can do to them is a lot more satisfying than the simple point, click, fall over and dead aspect of many shooters out this gen.

Dark FaZe said:
Yeah I'm surprised that people generally find the combat to be boring. The animations can be a bit wonky, but I had more fun with the encounters in this game than I did with Halo 3. I'm not saying Bioshock is a better shooter than Halo by any means, but the sheer variety that this game has for dealing with enemies and the crazy holy shit type of things you can do to them is a lot more satisfying than the simple point, click, fall over and dead aspect of many shooters out this gen.
BioShock's gameplay is really dynamic, even more so in BioShock 2: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Question:
There was a news thing on some sites about four months ago (maybe) saying that the voice actress who originally did what she referred to as "Bioshock 2's narrator", or words to that effect was complaining that her part had been cut down. It's not the woman playing Lamb; it was somebody else entirely, and I'm trying to find out who it was, and what character she played. Anybody know what the hell I'm talking about?

EDIT: Got it. It was Juliet Landau (Drusilla from Buffy), who did the voices of the Little Sisters in B1. She going to play Eva Tate, a French film star.

According to postings by Landau on Twitter, this character was cut from the game. She was told by 2K that she might still appear in the bonus materials, however. Landau said that Tate was to "host the entire game". It remains unclear exactly what this meant or if she was indeed excised from the final version of the game. She may have eventually metamorphosed into Mlle Blanche de Glace, a playable character in the multiplayer game who is also a French movie star and celebrity in Rapture.

This does make me wonder when they changed the plot. The move from 1 Big Sister, for example, with the stress being placed on kidnapped girls rather than
Eleanor
, the previous 'host' of the game... They seem like fairly big changes. I'd love to get an exact breakdown of when/why these changes happened.

I just finished the game.
I'm really disappointed, nothing surprising or interesting came up, I didn't like the characters very much, and the atmosphere didn't seem as thick as it did in Bioshock. However I really liked playing as a Big Daddy and the way it changed combat, and there were some good moments - namely the first Big Sister encounter when the water breaks and you see Rapture for the first time from underwater.

ScrubJay

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer so far. First capture the little sister game I played I spawned as the Big Daddy, and jumped over a railing to clean out three people surrounding the Little Sister, the scene played out just like
The opening cutscene
. I've gotten to level 12 so far and have all the non-rank trophies. I'm definitely going to be trying this regularly, I just hope it doesn't turn into a ghost town.

ruxtpin

Banned
I wasn't complaining about it being difficult, just making an observation. I enjoy a little bit more trial and error, getting to play with the world and finding new things to do.

Zeliard

Solo said:
The music is great. It and the gameplay are the two things BS2 does better than the original.

I agree with this. And I also agree with the level design, at least as far as what I've played. The actual environments in BS2 are quite a bit more detailed, but the way they are designed functionally seems a step back. In Bioshock 1, almost every area you were in felt like an actual area designed to live in, rather than to game in. Rapture then had a much greater sense of place, though the fact that it's no longer fresh likely plays a part in that as well.

Still a beautiful aesthetic, though, especially when you coat the image with some AA. Shame about the texturing.

S1kkZ

zero margin said:
To be fair she did say peace out.
which makes her even more useless for the story. why was she there at all? to save the sisters? WARNING ENDGAME SPOILERS!

that are controlled by lambs daughter? why didnt elenore send all the sisters to tenenbaum, so they can escape rapture? why did the big sisters attack the player if elenore can controll them? so much plotholes in this game.

Solo

Zeliard said:
I agree with this. And I also agree with the level design, at least as far as what I've played. The actual environments in BS2 are quite a bit more detailed, but the way they are designed functionally seems a step back. In Bioshock 1, almost every area you were in felt like an actual area designed to live in, rather than to game in. Rapture then had a much greater sense of place, though the fact that it's no longer fresh likely plays a part in that as well.

Still a beautiful aesthetic, though, especially when you coat the image with some AA. Shame about the texturing.

Youve nailed it. BS1's levels feel like a city that a game happens to occur in. BS2's levels so far feel like a corridor shooter that happens to occur in a city.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone run into an issue with the helmet being visible? I turned it off at one point, but decided to try it out again only to find that it no longer appears regardless of what the option is set to. Very strange.

Same deal with the quest arrow. I want to keep it off, but for curiosity, I tried to re-enable it only to find that it won't appear any longer.

Ogs said:
Even stranger, the "Prologue" room you start in isnt frame locked. I do hope they remove this lock, just feels stupid not to.

I think that's what got me the most.

Solo said:
Youve nailed it. BS1's levels feel like a city that a game happens to occur in. BS2's levels so far feel like a corridor shooter that happens to occur in a city.

pretty much

Curufinwe

JaseC said:
The excuse as to how the bug found its way back into the game is bloody priceless. :lol

This was discussed earlier, btw. :p

At least they promptly acknowledged it was a bug, and cut short the usual idiots who tell people to shut up & stop complaining even when the complaint is totally valid.

Just finished the game and I think it's vastly superior than the first; the gameplay's improved, level design is more interesting (in contrast to a few people here I thought the first two main areas felt more city-like than any part of the first one), and the narrative is much better throughout and it has an end-gameso stunning that makes up for the atrocious one in the first. My only issues really were the pointlessness of Tenenbaum and the fact that
you need to save Trapper Keeper despite his own concious begging you to do him in
in order to get the good guy achievement.

AshMcCool

S1kkZ said:
which makes her even more useless for the story. why was she there at all? to save the sisters? WARNING ENDGAME SPOILERS!

that are controlled by lambs daughter? why didnt elenore send all the sisters to tenenbaum, so they can escape rapture? why did the big sisters attack the player if elenore can controll them? so much plotholes in this game.

She said she can control the little sisters, not the big sisters, didn't she? You didn't mention big plothole of the game, though: Why did he need to leave Rapture to live? He constantly dies and is revived in the next Vita-Chamber. Outside of Rapture seeems to be the only place where he can die. So what was that all about?

S1kkZ

Spirit of Jazz said:
Just finished the game and I think it's vastly superior than the first; the gameplay's improved, level design is more interesting (in contrast to a few people here I thought the first two main areas felt more city-like than any part of the first one), and the narrative is much better throughout and it has an end-gameso stunning that makes up for the atrocious one in the first. My only issues really were the pointlessness of Tenenbaum and the fact that
you need to save Trapper Keeper despite his own concious begging you to do him in
in order to get the good guy achievement.

you mean the thing in the tank? i killed him and got the perfect ending (with the little sisters).

Spydy

Banned
I've just completed
Journey to the Surface
. Guess I've only just started the game, but I agree about the level design. While OK, it nowhere near feels as brilliant as BS1.

I think, so far at least, that 2K have missed the boat when it comes to humour. I found BS1 darkly comic but I feel absolutely none of that here.

Just finished it and while I was initially disappointed with the first few levels up to the Amusement part, it does get better. Though it's a good game, it didn't up it's game for a sequel. Nothing really stood out to me as great and was very samey as the 1st and throughout. A bit buggy in places too.

Overall I'd give it a 7 but TBH I'll probably quickly forget about it and can't see it being in my Top 10 games of the year. Bioshock 3? I'd leave it.

RDreamer

Solo said:

Honestly I feel the complete opposite. It's been a bit since I've touched Bioshock 1, but I remember thinking the levels felt cramped and like there wasn't really much to them, but here they feel really large and have multiple levels and layers so far. To me BS2 feels much more like a city than 1 ever did. Maybe that changes after Siren Alley, since that's where I'm at.

Denzar

Finished it just now. I have to say, I'm impressed with what they managed to pull of without me saying "ah jeez, screw you". Some plotholes here and there
Tenenbaum
, but overall it's a better game IMO.

If there ever was a Bioshock 3 (and there probably will be), PLEASE 2K let it take place before Rapture went to shit. And update your engine...

The mutliplayer prologue made me realise I have a craving for that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dark10x said:
Anyone run into an issue with the helmet being visible? I turned it off at one point, but decided to try it out again only to find that it no longer appears regardless of what the option is set to. Very strange.

Same deal with the quest arrow. I want to keep it off, but for curiosity, I tried to re-enable it only to find that it won't appear any longer.

I haven't touched the option to remove the helmet, it just literally is not there for a lot of the time. The quest arrow is when you need to travel to areas then usually goes away until you get a new objective.

RDreamer said:
Honestly I feel the complete opposite. It's been a bit since I've touched Bioshock 1, but I remember thinking the levels felt cramped and like there wasn't really much to them, but here they feel really large and have multiple levels and layers so far. To me BS2 feels much more like a city than 1 ever did. Maybe that changes after Siren Alley, since that's where I'm at.
I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm wondering how many people who are saying that BS2's level design is vastly inferior to BS1's have recently played BioShock.

And really? Designed for a corridor shooter in a city?
The first area takes place in a luxury suite, then the beginning of a train station. The next area is an Amusement park. The area after that (where I'm currently) takes place near a diner/hotel.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just finished it. Enjoyed myself very much. The last level is really interesting looking. Winter Blast 3 + Shotgun to the face = :D

I figured out how to get the Grand Daddy achievement as well. The 3 Big Daddies you need to kill must not have little sisters with them.

Solo

Dax01 said:
I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm wondering how many people who are saying that BS2's level design is vastly inferior to BS1's have recently played BioShock.

And really? Designed for a corridor shooter in a city?
The first area takes place in a luxury suite, then the beginning of a train station. The next area is an Amusement park. The area after that (where I'm currently) takes place near a diner/hotel.

Ryan Amusements is basically nothing but corridors, mang.

dark10x said:

I've had that happen with the helmet. I tried putting it on because I'm an indecisive bastard and thought I'd give it another go, but it didn't appear.

I've just tried my first game of multiplayer and it was quite good. Jumping back in now.

Solo

Dax01 said:
And what was Medical Pavilion? Fontaine Fisheries? Arcadia? You need to go replay BioShock 1.

Ive played it many times. There are defintely corridor-esque levels like Hephaestus, but its balanced out with stuff like Arcadia and Fort Frolic.

Solo said:
Ive played it many times. There are defintely corridor-esque levels like Hephaestus, but its balanced out with stuff like Arcadia and Fort Frolic.
It's funny how you knock BioShock 2 for having similarities to BioShock 1 in ways that you don't criticize the first game for having.

Top Bottom