• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

BeeDog

FUUUUU-, my PC CE copy just arrived via DHL. :D 42£ for the big-ass box from the UK to Sweden, best gaming-related bargain ever.

Soo I finished it. Man, I thought I was near the end when I quit last night but I ended up having another 2-3 hours worth of game after the 'twist'.

I felt like
playing with a big sister by your side was an interesting twist on becoming a big daddy at the end of the last game
; however the level design falls apart quite a bit near the denounement. There were occasions where I had no idea where to go. Also the final fight sucked.
really? Let's just throw a whole bunch of enemies on the screen until the game can't handle it and the frames drop to single digits. WHY? I felt like the 2x big sister fight was much more intense
. Also there are some scenes near the end that look straight up BUTT UGLY graphically, specifically the underwater sequences. the story
wraps up nicely but it wasn't quite as rewarding or emotional as I was hoping
. still going to start a 2nd playthrough tomorrow on hard. but overall, some highs and lows and ebbs and flows for sure.

big_z

Papercuts said:
Pretty sure there's no way to know, from what I've found so far:

Ryan Amusements has 1
Pauper's Drop has 3
I'm at Siren's Alley now and already found 1, but there's likely going to be 2-3 more here.

It is really annoying knowing it's easy to miss one and be unable to get it.

every area has two i think but you cant upgrade all the weapons in the game. the game is short two upgrade units which almost makes me think a level was removed late in developement.

i finished the game last night, it's alright but a far cry from the first imo. for a giant underwater city the levels sure arent very interesting. some of the artwork in the credits show awesome level designs that got scrapped but i guess you have to save the best for the third game.

i played the pc version and i wish i would have gone with the 360 instead. pc version has a ton of issues. still im going to play through again and harvest/kill everyone.

TTG

Tried to go through Siren's Alley in a single go, had to end it right before what I assume is the final section. Considering I'm collecting all the adam possible and saving every little sister, these levels are really taking a while to get through... but I'm not complaining, Siren's Alley has been fun.

As I expected, the game is starting to open up. New weapons, new ammo types, portable turrets and of course opening up about 5 plasmids in one go... it's a lot to take in. They also do a really good job with ammo restrictions and enemy types in that you're always cycling through the full arsenal of both.

The level design, while not as interesting visually, is all Bioshock in terms of layout. First of all, I think Bioshock 2 is the only FPS that can really get away with respawning enemies in a good way. You're passing through the same areas often enough, but the splicers do live there. They're not a squad of aliens dispatched to the area or a bunker of soldiers. They're wandering around rambling at random things, trying to bash a med kit dispenser open, basically minding their own business until they come across the player. It makes sense for them to come and go and very well done over all. Secondly, Siren's Alley is once again filled with optional second floor offices and basements to every store and in every building. It gives the level a great sense of place and immersion to have these and once again, there are rewards at the end and well crafted encounters so you rarely feel the urge to just go to the objective on the map and forget about that stuff.

The only thing I'm waiting on to click at this point is the story and the visual style of the environments(I'm at the doorway of a
little sister orphanage
in Siren's Alley now and once again, it's been done in the first game). Either way, Bioshock 2 is worthy of the name

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this has been one of those rare games that actually gets better the more I play it. well... it had the "OMG NEW GAME" high, then it had the "ehh... I don't know ima backlash" stage, but then it actually climbed out of that and became really awesome. It's such a rare, awesome thing. It's one of the very, very few games that I actually think about when I'm not playing.

BeeDog

Alright, finished the first stage an hour ago, after you take the train for the first time. First impression is good so far, I really like the small revisions that they've done to the core gameplay (the hacking minigame, the hacker tool etc.). This bodes well :D

How long is this game, give or take? Might put this game on hold for a little while until I finish up Mass Effect 2.

big_z

BeeDog said:
How long is this game, give or take? Might put this game on hold for a little while until I finish up Mass Effect 2.

a bit shorter than the first and thats if you spend time harvesting extra atom with the little sisters. if you completely blew that part off you can probably save an hour or two.

topramen

One fo the things I loved about the first one was when you would see a big daddy approach. The idea that they ignored you unless you went after them was awesome, and all the different ways you could fight them made the encounters really special. I loved turning two big daddies against each other and then setting the alarm off on them, and just shooting occassionaly while the chaos unfolded.

Has any of that feeling been retained?

SlayrUK

topramen said:
One fo the things I loved about the first one was when you would see a big daddy approach. The idea that they ignored you unless you went after them was awesome, and all the different ways you could fight them made the encounters really special. I loved turning two big daddies against each other and then setting the alarm off on them, and just shooting occassionaly while the chaos unfolded.

Has any of that feeling been retained?

Absolutely yes - you often encounter big daddy's who just walk on past you only to get into a fight themselves.

I also like seeing them banging on vents to get their own little sister out - just like their getting on with their duties and not bothered by you at all... until you throw plasmids at them of course.

For those on pc with wonky mouse controls, turn off vsync (why aren't you using d3doverrider anyways? :p)

I've noticed the game turns it on every time you start the client. I'm also using 2xaa quincunx through nhancer, good way of reducing the shader aliasing.

MMaRsu

Yeah I'm at the end of Siren's Alley as well, it was a really fun and great level. I acquired many new Tonics and Plasmids, very cool. Winter Blast 2 ftw :D. Can't wait to get some more stuff <3. I love this game!

Can anyone post a spoiler synopsis? I just don't have time to play the game, but was a big fan of the first one. Just curious as to what the story is.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
i cant decide if i want to play bioshock 2 do you guys recammand it , i dont want to destroy good memories i had with the first one

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
i had to turn the quest arrow on to find my way out of ryan amusements. the level design is wretched.
are you following the environmental clues, like the signs and the like? when you pick up an audio log or something, bring up the map and have a look at where you're heading as you listen, for instance.

it seemed fairly straight forward to me. you don't need to head straight to your current goal. take time and get to know the area and explore a bit. that's where a lot of the fun I have with the game starts at: randomly exploring areas. the level design works because it lets you explore it at your own pace. you're not constantly being funneled down to an eventual goal.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rez said:
are you following the environmental clues, like the signs and the like? when you pick up an audio log or something, bring up the map and have a look at where you're heading as you listen, for instance.

it seemed fairly straight forward to me. you don't need to head straight to your current goal. take time and get to know the area and explore a bit. that's where a lot of the fun I have with the game starts at: randomly exploring areas. the level design works because it lets you explore it at your own pace. you're not constantly being funneled down to an eventual goal.

the lowest level of ryan amusements seemed like this confusing loop of the same four kinds of doors over and over, walking through exhibits, trying to find the way up, etc. when i tried to look to the map for help, there were many different sets of steps that i couldn't easily discern whether they led up or down. rather than walk to every one, i turned on the quest arrow. disappointing.

daxter01 said:
i cant decide if i want to play bioshock 2 do you guys recammand it , i dont want to destroy good memories i had with the first one

What were your good memories from the first? If the only recall the would you kindly scene and everything related to Cohen then I'm not sure you I'd recommend it. Bioshock 2 for me is a far better game over all but there's not a moment as shocking or a level designed as well as Fort Frolic. Not to say that it doesn't bring it's own positives to the table, it's just not good for the same reasons that the first was.

One thing that's really annoying me though;
is it ever explained how Lamb exhibits so much control over the Splicers? I really can't remember the game explaining it at any point, there are obvious nods to her being a Big Brother type figure but is that it?

Salz01

Just came in here to post that this games Multiplayer is awesome. Love the apartment theme, where you can customize your options and so forth. The actual gameplay is fun, its nice trying to choose what the best combo is.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
i had to turn the quest arrow on to find my way out of ryan amusements. the level design is wretched.

That level is particularly bad. The one after seems better to me.

Dyno

I'm having a bit of trouble early on. For two levels I have been basically completing the missions AND THEN going back for the Big Daddy/Little Sister stuff. It lengthens the game quite a bit but every time I see a Big Daddy I don't have the supplies to face one off. Any tips in this regard or are most people doing it this way?

Also, the multiplayer is really good. Even better than Uncharted 2 IMO. I love that half the maps are from Bioshock 1, it really completes that Rapture feel. I've noticed that there are almost no map vetos, which to me indicates that they are well made and people want to see all of them. Combat is fast paced, zany, and all around creepy. There is nothing like this on the MP market right now in terms of atmosphere and style.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
God damn these online trophies are pissing me off. I've been a Big Daddy twice and no trophy, I saved a little sister and no trophy. Fuck.

RDreamer

The end of Siren Alley (and I suppose all of it, really) was straight up awesome. I'm loving the game so far. The gameplay and level design so far has been better than Bioshock 1.

The multiplayer is pretty fun, though it seems like not too many people are playing it. My only complaint with it is that I feel like my character should be moving faster. I don't mind the slow movement in the single player since I'm supposed to be a big daddy, but in multi I think the splicers should move a bit faster than they do.

I turned the directional arrow OFF. Ruins the sense of figuring out where to go, IMO. I can understand disagreeing with that, though. It was just jarring to me.

Cagen

Going to finish up my third run through of the game either tonight or tomorrow, still disappointed with it but it is near impossible to capture the magic of the original or design to he level of Fort Frolic.

Just purchased my 3rd copy of the original, PS3 version to run through it again and compare the sequel which I bought the PS3 version of.

beelzebozo said:
the lowest level of ryan amusements seemed like this confusing loop of the same four kinds of doors over and over, walking through exhibits, trying to find the way up, etc. when i tried to look to the map for help, there were many different sets of steps that i couldn't easily discern whether they led up or down. rather than walk to every one, i turned on the quest arrow. disappointing.
Heh. I didn't need to use the quest arrow at all. I found my way around the level just find. Though, I did use the map quite often, but I do that on every level.

Dyno said:
I'm having a bit of trouble early on. For two levels I have been basically completing the missions AND THEN going back for the Big Daddy/Little Sister stuff. It lengthens the game quite a bit but every time I see a Big Daddy I don't have the supplies to face one off. Any tips in this regard or are most people doing it this way?

Also, the multiplayer is really good. Even better than Uncharted 2 IMO. I love that half the maps are from Bioshock 1, it really completes that Rapture feel. I've noticed that there are almost no map vetos, which to me indicates that they are well made and people want to see all of them. Combat is fast paced, zany, and all around creepy. There is nothing like this on the MP market right now in terms of atmosphere and style.
Now that you bring it up, come to think of it, I don't really dislike any of the maps that shipped with the game. They're all really good. A rare thing to say about a game with MP.

Salz01

Cagen said:
Going to finish up my third run through of the game either tonight or tomorrow, still disappointed with it but it is near impossible to capture the magic of the original or design to he level of Fort Frolic.

Just purchased my 3rd copy of the original, PS3 version to run through it again and compare the sequel which I bought the PS3 version of.

Can you post your thoughts on the quality between one and two when you are done? I'm on the fence about buying the first one on ps3. I completed the 360 one when it first came out.

Cagen

Salz01 said:
Can you post your thoughts on the quality between one and two when you are done? I'm on the fence about buying the first one on ps3. I completed the 360 one when it first came out.
Yeah, sure. I'm mainly doing it out of interest regarding Bio2's, in places horrible, textures and blurriness. Bio1 was a very good looking game when it came out but I fear they did little in the way of engine/texture improvements over a 2 1/2 year old game.

Has the PC widescreen issues been fixed, yet? Goddamn insane that they'd let it happen again. If not, I think I may give BioShock another playthrough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Salz01 said:

Digital Foundry did a comparison back in 2008. Contrary to the vibe you may get from the article, it's only worth ignoring if you have a 360 and/or a decent PC. I bought the PS3 version so my mates could experience the game (no 360 at the time), and coming from the PC version I found still found it to be a playable and - most importantly - enjoyable experience.

FWIW, the texture issues mentioned early in the article were patched up. It's a hefty band-aid, though - ~230MB if memory serves.

Liquidus said:
God damn these online trophies are pissing me off. I've been a Big Daddy twice and no trophy, I saved a little sister and no trophy. Fuck.

I was just about to post the same thing. Didn't get either the one for being a big daddy or killing a big daddy.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
darkjedi187 said:
I was just about to post the same thing. Didn't get either the one for being a big daddy or killing a big daddy.

Well I finally managed to get the Mothergoose trophy. I saved a little sister once in the match and it didn't pop up so I saved her again it popped up. The Frankenstein trophy is still missing though and I was a Big Daddy another 2 times today.

kamspy

Either I somehow missed every autosave for a couple hours of gameplay, or my computer ate my newest save. :(

Either way, I'm starting over. Kinda rushed it anyways. Had no idea what was going on and how one objective related to another.

Using the FOV fix now and taking my time from the beginning. Backing up all saves twice.

Ogs said:
An update has just came out for the PC version, no idea whats changed yet, didnt notice anything different about widescreen either :S

HOW DO I GET THIS ON STEAM???

CozMick

Banned
All my trophies unlocked perfectly, not that that helps but...............

Only need the rank 30 and 40 ones now :D

Bloody love the multi-player, such a nice change from the usual bullshit I play.

Also, anyone find it looks better in 720p than 1080p?

Guevara

Finally got a chance to play this yesterday. No major complains except the obvious: looks a little dated, textures are muddy. Gameplay and setting are still great and are more than enough to justify B2's existence.

I then spent 3 hours on the first Bioshock hunting for achievos :lol . Anyone else feel compelled to polish off the first game as a result of playing B2?

Korey

I'm just past the third level and I have a small complaint. Sometimes there will be a flight of stairs or something to an off-the-path area that will probably contain a diary and some items, but the arrow is pointing the opposite direction. Sometimes it's not a secret area but in fact a later part of the level. Most of the doors seem to be open even if you're not at that point in the level progression yet.

The problem is, I don't know if I'm heading to an area that will naturally be explored later through the main objective or if I should explore further to avoid missing some hidden items/journals, so I actually waste a lot of time going halfway and then deciding that I'll probably come back here later with the main mission, but that doesn't happen, so either I miss what's back there or I spend the time backtracking later on after finishing other stuff.

So I just downloaded an update for the PC version of the game, I am guessing it fixes the widescreen issue? Just read this page... guess not

Guevara

Korey said:
I'm just past the third level and I have a small complaint. Sometimes there will be a flight of stairs or something to an off-the-path area that will probably contain a diary and some items, but the arrow is pointing the opposite direction. Sometimes it's not a secret area but in fact a later part of the level. Most of the doors seem to be open even if you're not at that point in the level progression yet.

The problem is, I don't know if I'm heading to an area that will naturally be explored later through the main objective or if I should explore further to avoid missing some hidden items/journals, so I actually waste a lot of time going halfway and then deciding that I'll probably come back here later with the main mission, but that doesn't happen, so either I miss what's back there or I spend the time backtracking later on after finishing other stuff.

This drives me crazy, especially since I know the game is so linear and
there's no backtracking at all, right?

Played a good couple of hours last night and got through Ryan's Amusement park. I had a bitch of a time protecting the little sister when she was grabbing Adam. Other than that I really am enjoying the game. Like with the first one I am playing on hard and I removed the quest arrow. It gives me an excuse to actually explore the world instead of just plowing through it. I also tried the multiplayer and enjoyed that as well. It feels almost like Shadowrun light and I am always down for some super power driven shooting in my multiplayer.

Got about 30 minutes into the game, loving it so far. I noticed the diaries I pick up keep repeating themselves? Kind of nitpicky but it annoyed me. Do they play automatically as I pick them up?

patch has totally broken this game. From Broken FOV to no longer being able to hold down the mouse button to charge plasmids / shoot weapons. Machine gun shoots 2bullets then stops.

Lince

Banned
is there a way to pause the game and select an specific plasmid, weapon or ammo type (PC version) ? I know you can do that with the 360 pad in the original and, of course, the console versions. I could do more creative stuff that way instead of hopelessly abusing my keyboard.

Does anyone know how many Power to the People stations their are. Their is a trophy for fully upgrading your weapons, but the desc say find all the power to the people stations.

And to fully upgrade all the weapons their would need to be 18 stations. Anyone know who has finished it.

Ridley327

darkjedi187 said:
Does anyone know how many Power to the People stations their are. Their is a trophy for fully upgrading your weapons, but the desc say find all the power to the people stations.

And to fully upgrade all the weapons their would need to be 18 stations. Anyone know who has finished it.

There's 14 of them.

Top Bottom