• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just bought the game, am i right to assume that once again you get different endings depending if you rescue or not all little sisters?

Firestorm

It took a lot of restraint for me not to
kill Stanley Poole. If I didn't know about the achievement, I think I would have broken down and shot that motherfucker in the face with exploding shotgun pellets.

No_Style

There was an achievement NOT to do that? Awww....
Just checked on the Trophy and I need to save everyone. :( I killed Gil and Stanley on my playthrough.

Oh well. Need that No vita-chamber Trophy as well.

j-wood

Do the tonic levels stack on top of each other?

For example, I have eve saver 1 and eve saver 2. If both are equipped do their effects stack? Or is that pointless and I only need to have the 2nd version equipped?

Miburou

j-wood said:
Do the tonic levels stack on top of each other?

For example, I have eve saver 1 and eve saver 2. If both are equipped do their effects stack? Or is that pointless and I only need to have the 2nd version equipped?

I think they do. I tried and did some experimentation and it seemed like they do stack, but couldn't say for sure.

No_Style said:
There was an achievement NOT to do that? Awww....
Just checked on the Trophy and I need to save everyone. :( I killed Gil and Stanley on my playthrough.

Oh well. Need that No vita-chamber Trophy as well.

This is such a bullshit achievement in my opinion.
Grace deserves sparing, but Stanley is a piece of trash, and Gil wants you to kill him, so why would not killing them be considered an 'achievement'?
. Luckily I had a save file just before dealing with the 2nd target, and after finishing the game I loaded that save, switched to easy and got the achievement in an hour or two. Note that you get it as soon as you
save the 3rd little sister, so you do not need to finish the game, and for the sisters, just kill the big daddy, grab her, and deposit her in the nearest vent. No need for any gathering

I have a feeling that this will be my "Silent Hill 2" of this decade. For me, last decade belonged to SH2 because of its unique and rich storytelling and Bioshock 2 hit many of the same notes for me as well. One thing that really struck home with me was this:

At the end, I was so desperately eager to fuck up Sofia Lamb. When the final battle was just a bunch of enemies that she summoned, I was a little indifferent to that because I was hoping we'd get to off Lamb like we got to off Fontaine. Anyway, at the end came the scene where Sofia is fucking drowning, and for whatever reason that I cannot put my finger on, it bothered me. I wanted to see that bitch burn through the whole story but when the time came I felt oddly sorry for the character and seeing her drowning got to me. And then something amazing happened-- Eleanor saved her, and the only reason being because I spared some other lives throughout the course of the story. When I realized that she'd be spared due to my actions, which had a positive effect on another character, that really blew my mind.

I was also pretty mindblown, and heartbroken, during the Little Sister sequence. Seeing what they normally see and realizing just how completely and utterly oblivious they are to their surroundings and what they're doing very much struck a chord. Then when I saw the corpses that they extract ADAM from literally having angel wings depicted on the ground where they lie went ahead and made my jaw drop. I fail to understand how anyone that rushes through the game can appreciate things like this.

This game is fucking brilliant.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
brandonh83 said:
I have a feeling that this will be my "Silent Hill 2" of this decade. For me, last decade belonged to SH2 because of its unique and rich storytelling and Bioshock 2 hit many of the same notes for me as well. One thing that really struck home with me was this:

At the end, I was so desperately eager to fuck up Sofia Lamb. When the final battle was just a bunch of enemies that she summoned, I was a little indifferent to that because I was hoping we'd get to off Lamb like we got to off Fontaine. Anyway, at the end came the scene where Sofia is fucking drowning, and for whatever reason that I cannot put my finger on, it bothered me. I wanted to see that bitch burn through the whole story but when the time came I felt oddly sorry for the character and seeing her drowning got to me. And then something amazing happened-- Eleanor saved her, and the only reason being because I spared some other lives throughout the course of the story. When I realized that she'd be spared due to my actions, which had a positive effect on another character, that really blew my mind.

I actually don't like how they determine this. If you save all 3, especially Stanley, I can see it...but you just need to spare one for Eleanor to save Sophia. I spared Grace since she didn't deserve death, but I don't think Sophia deserved sparing at all, especially if you condemn someone like Stanley for doing way less.

Papercuts said:
I actually don't like how they determine this. If you save all 3, especially Stanley, I can see it...but you just need to spare one for Eleanor to save Sophia. I spared Grace since she didn't deserve death, but I don't think Sophia deserved sparing at all, especially if you condemn someone like Stanley for doing way less.

I agree that it's a bit odd. Still, I'm glad that it had that particular effect on my experience.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can see that, I just feel it would have had more impact if they had maybe one more variation of that segment.

I just finsihed the game, I started out on Hard with Vita Chambers Off, but then I decided to turn them on since it was my first run, anyways Long story short at the endof the game I did not get the Against All Odds achievement. Is this a glitch ? Because I never changed the difficulty.

No_Style said:
It honestly felt like one big expansion pack or side mission to me. This is not a bad thing though.

This is how I constantly felt and feel when I play Bioshock 2. Sure it's nice and better than most of the games of the same genre. But it's still more Bioshock 1.2 then 2.0.
And that for a full price.

Patrick Bateman said:
This is how I constantly felt and feel when I play Bioshock 2. Sure it's nice and better than most of the games of the same genre. But it's still more Bioshock 1.2 then 2.0.
And that for a full price.

Sorry but the game is Bioshock 0.5 or 0.6.
the team was totally clueless on how to top Bioshock so they made a generic blue print of Bioshock. I don't know about you guys but this is DMC2 of current gen.

Feindflug

Unregistered007 said:
I just finsihed the game, I started out on Hard with Vita Chambers Off, but then I decided to turn them on since it was my first run, anyways Long story short at the endof the game I did not get the Against All Odds achievement. Is this a glitch ? Because I never changed the difficulty.

Yeah the game has some problems with unlocking achievements - I didn't get the beat 3 big daddies without dying and I've killed almost all the big daddies without respawning at a Vita Chamber...that being said I finished the game yesterday and it was a pleasant surprise for me, I was a non-believer but 2K Marin created a great game that may not have the same wow factor as the first game but still managed to even surpass the first game in some areas - the endgame for example was awesome.

Definitely a AAΑ game IMΟ. :)

MacBosse

Unregistered007 said:
Sorry but the game is Bioshock 0.5 or 0.6.
the team was totally clueless on how to top Bioshock so they made a generic blue print of Bioshock. I don't know about you guys but this is DMC2 of current gen.

No ... just no. Sure it is very similiar to the first game. But would you have it any other way? The first game was AWESOME. Would be stupid to try to change everything that worked so well in the first game.

I really love the way they have created the sequel and they really made Rapture justice with the settings and characters. Is it as good as the first? Story and "oooh" factor. No. Gameplayand levels? Much better.

Bioshock 0.5 is really selling this game short.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
I have a feeling that this will be my "Silent Hill 2" of this decade.

This is incredibly high praise that I cannot agree with an any way, shape or form. SH2 is one of the best games ever made, and its narrative really gets under your skin in a way very few games ever have. BS2 doesnt fit either criteria for me. Hell, BS1 only fits the second criteria.

No_Style

Feindflug said:
Yeah the game has some problems with unlocking achievements - I didn't get the beat 3 big daddies without dying and I've killed almost all the big daddies without respawning at a Vita Chamber...

You need to beat 3 Big Daddies in a row without dying. :D

ColR100

ColR100 said:
Windows7, along with 191.07 drivers. Updating those to 196.21 now. Will report back tomorrow with regards to if they work.

Also, out of curiosity, are people forcing AA through the Nvidia Control Panel or doing it some other way?
Updated drivers did the trick. But still, people who aren't tech savvy probably wouldn't even think about updating drivers or know what the hell that means, quite a negative for PC gaming.

Nvidia should just do something like Microsoft does with Windows Update, for example having it auto download the update and then pop up with a notification saying new drivers are ready to install.

dollartaco said:
Col, I had the same problem you are having. I forced DX9 mode in the Steam shortcut and it fixed it.

In Steam:
R-click on Bioshock 2 > Properties
Set Launch Options...
type "-dx9" (w/o quotes) and click OK.

Worked for me. Good luck...
Cheers mate, but seems like I've had no need to do this. Will keep it in mind though if the game does suddenly start crashing again. Currently running it with AA and I've had no problems at all.

This game really does have inconsistencies graphically, texel density being the most obvious. I can look past that though because the art direction is sublime......we all already know that though. :lol

Mapping keys to keyboard has also been an issue with the prompts in game not changing. I altered the 'use' key to something else, and when it was time to harvest a little sister one of the options didn't map correctly to my changed preferences.

ColR100 said:
Updated drivers did the trick. But still, people who aren't tech savvy probably wouldn't even think about updating drivers or know what the hell that means, quite a negative for PC gaming.

Nvidia should just do something like Microsoft does with Windows Update, for example having it auto download the update and then pop up with a notification saying new drivers are ready to install.

Glad to hear it. Yeah ive always wondered why GPU drivers dont have some kind of auto-update thing. Would be pretty neat having a notification pop-up in the bottom right saying "New GPU Drivers Released" with a quick brief of whats new/fixed. Ah well, enjoy some BS2 :)

Just finished it this morning

I liked parts of it more than Bioshock 1 but I thought that overall it wasn't as well put-together as the first Bioshock.

+the drill was extremely satisfying to use
+the levels felt more open-ended. I actually got lost a couple times. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember doing as much exploring in the first bisohock
+lots of secret tonics to discover
+thought the vidcam was a big improvement over the cam
-the story seemed pretty stupid to me
-harvesting bodies felt like a chore
-it was too easy. mostly because of the drill. In BS1 you just have a shitty wrench as a melee weapon so you really panic when you run out of ammo. In BS2, no worries, you don't even need ammo. Just stun them and drill em down
-while I liked the layout of the levels, the actual environments didn't feel as magical as BS1. looking back at BS1 (which I haven't played since it launched) I still remember most of the locations but BS2 is just a blur to me.

j-wood

Papercuts said:

I saved everyone but gil, but I harvested all the little sisters. She let Sophia drown in my ending.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Koopakiller said:
+the levels felt more open-ended. I actually got lost a couple times. Maybe I'm wrong but

When I first heard the game was split up into discrete levels that you couldn't revisit, I was very worried. I definitely loved the feeling in Bioshock 1 that Rapture was a cohesive world.

But my fears were unfounded because even though you couldn't backtrack through levels, they did a great job of making the individual levels feel like actual places and not just corridor crawls.

NIGHT-

Koopakiller said:
Just finished it this morning

I liked parts of it more than Bioshock 1 but I thought that overall it wasn't as well put-together as the first Bioshock.

+the drill was extremely satisfying to use
+the levels felt more open-ended. I actually got lost a couple times. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember doing as much exploring in the first bisohock
+lots of secret tonics to discover
+thought the vidcam was a big improvement over the cam
-the story seemed pretty stupid to me
-harvesting bodies felt like a chore
-it was too easy. mostly because of the drill. In BS1 you just have a shitty wrench as a melee weapon so you really panic when you run out of ammo. In BS2, no worries, you don't even need ammo. Just stun them and drill em down
-while I liked the layout of the levels, the actual environments didn't feel as magical as BS1. looking back at BS1 (which I haven't played since it launched) I still remember most of the locations but BS2 is just a blur to me.

With the right tonics the wrench was the strongest weapon in the game. Made Hard mode a breeze for me in the first game.

Talking about Alexander...

Well, the way i see it, i didn't "kill" him, i just "put him out of his misery".

The guy became an abomination - a unique, crazy being, constantly deprived of his dignity by his own madness and grotesque form. He was way beyond the point of being able to understand what he became: a lonely fish kept in a murky aquarium forgotten in a decayed, empty apartment, that sooner or later would deteriorate to death. Let him be alone, that would have been cruel. I just ignored his requests, but while going out of the room i suddenly thought "WTF am i doing, am i really going to leave that man kill his dignity until he falls apart? Somebody has to do this, and i'm the first one passing by, happy or not, i need to step up".

But well, yeah, the guys had to make this a bit politically correct: no matter what the situation is, if you kill you're immoral, and so killing Gracie, that just protected the girl ( she just basically suspected you, and was convinced of something wrong while desperate) equals to killing that goddamn fool Poole (a mass murderer but also a weak fool that you would kill just for revenge) that equals to killing Gil (and he took part in all the slavery, kidnapping, torture practices, but as things goes, he's left himself to die in a water tank after that crazy transformation). Oh, come on.
For me, that was euthanasia. And i agree with the concept of euthanasia

Neiteio

This is such a fantastic game. Every bit as good as the first, but it goes in reverse order; the first BioShock starts with a bang and then dithers out, while BioShock 2 starts quiet and ends with a BANG.

Never thought I'd think "Dat ass" about a Big Daddy, but
Eleanor
proved me wrong. Star of BioShock 3, anyone?

While I agree that the ending to BS2 is immensely better than BS1's, I felt it dragged on for a bit too long, though it was still good. Maybe that's because I take the time to explore everything, and the ending
had to be a rush because of the story, so those two don't really come together that well
.Maybe my opinion of it will improve on a second playthrough.

Solo said:
This is incredibly high praise that I cannot agree with an any way, shape or form.

Don't worry, it seems that you're not alone. Thankfully, I can't relate. :D

But please, note that I did not say that it surpasses or even equals SH2. I'm just saying that I simply do not think I'll play a game with better attention to storytelling and character nuance than Bioshock 2, not at least for a while. I'm not ready to say that there won't be another game for the next 10 years to match it; that would be ridiculous speculation because that's a very long time. But here we are almost 10 years after Silent Hill 2 and I don't think anything has touched that one yet.

As I said, it's not on the level of Silent Hill 2 but I don't think anything could possibly reach that height. But as it stands, Bioshock 2 gave me very similar feelings and I would be surprised if I play a better game anytime soon.

I think someone in here mentioned that there was a New Game + option available for the PS3 version (via DLC). Was there any truth to that statement? I looked in the marketplace, but couldn't find anything.

Truant

Obsessed said:
I think someone in here mentioned that there was a New Game + option available for the PS3 version (via DLC). Was there any truth to that statement? I looked in the marketplace, but couldn't find anything.

Bioshock 1.

IceMarker

In all honesty,
when you ride the lifeboat up to the surface and you slowly see Rapture fade away out of view
made me cry a single manly tear.

Amir0x

Banned
Finally! Rank 40. I had a blast with multiplayer, truthfully. I will still play once in a while. It's cool that multiplayer had its own little ending and mini-storylines, though it was obviously put together kinda sloppily. Still, the multiplayer gameplay was fun enough in of itself to warrant playtime, and that's good for me.

This game has a lot of improvements, like dual wielding plasmids and weapons, the drill and speargun, a surprisingly entertaining multiplayer mode, and a second half that actually gets better rather than becoming mundane and tedious. But still, it somehow feels worse in the areas where I was most impressed by Bioshock, environmental design and narrative. I guess it's really subjective, but I was never floored by the architecture in Bioshock 2 as I was in Bioshock, which surprised me considering that Jordan Thomas, who was the lead designer of my favorite area in Bioshock, took the role of creative director in Bioshock 2. There just weren't nearly as many awesome landmarks, like the grand staircase flooded with water seeping in from the cracked ceiling or the seemingly plain basement where you're suddenly overwhelmed by Splicers posing as statues, both in Fort Frolic. And it felt like the story was inextricably connected to the atmosphere of the areas in the first game... Fort Frolic was such an incredible level because of the cohesive feeling it had. It all really came together so well when you were attacked by spider splicers in the dark, only given visibility by a single spotlight, while Waltz of the Flowers played and Cohen rambled in the background, or when you were hunting down his disciples to place their photos in his lame art project, or collecting audio diaries, gradually uncovering the disturbing backstory. Nothing in Bioshock 2 even comes close to capturing that sort of atmosphere imo, which was disappointing. Of course, it would be ludicrous to expect the entirety of Bioshock 2 to maintain that same level of intensity, but even the lesser levels of Bioshock seemed more... I don't know... lived in... real... to me, than the levels in Bioshock 2. Fort Frolic is just an example that immediately comes to mind.

Amir0x

Banned
It seems depending on the mode, there are very few people playing. However, I never ever ever took even remotely close to more than five minutes to find a game, and my NAT is set to fuckin' Moderate (fuck I can't figure out how to open it even with a guide goddamn it).

Basically, you spend a lot of time searching for Last Splicer Standing matches, Team Adam Grab/Adam Grab, but the rest are frequently packed and work quite well and fairly painless matchmaking. It's not Gears of War 2's launch or anything.

He says Home for the Poor "literally never comes up", but it's one of the maps I encounter most of all. I played three Home for the Poor maps in a row, and sometimes I don't like it because everyone is on top of each other from the start.

Psy-Phi

Papercuts said:

Well, she is her mother. Harder to hold a grudge against her than it is to hold one against Stanley. Heck, Stanely put her up for adoption not knowing who the kid was. And he killed dozens if not hundreds of people to cover up his acts. What's the worse Sophia did? She did kill people (indirectly) but she was going for an ideal that in her crazy mind was 'right'. I think she's certifiably insane, no reason to kill her. But I agree, I wanted to kill her :p. Were it up to me she'd be dead. But I can totally understand your foster daughter wanting to save her mother regardless if you taught her some people are worth saving that didn't know better. Which Grace would be, as well as Sophia.

RDreamer

Amir0x said:
He says Home for the Poor "literally never comes up", but it's one of the maps I encounter most of all. I played three Home for the Poor maps in a row, and sometimes I don't like it because everyone is on top of each other from the start.

I don't get how the map rotation works, but wow is luck weird with it. I didn't see Home for the Poor at all until I hit rank 22, meanwhile I've seen others say Kashmir is the map that comes up least, and that has to be the number 1 map I've played.

Amir0x said:
Basically, you spend a lot of time searching for Last Splicer Standing matches, Team Adam Grab/Adam Grab, but the rest are frequently packed and work quite well and fairly painless matchmaking. It's not Gears of War 2's launch or anything.

These are the modes I never play so that makes a little sense on why I'm not seeing any wait.

actually got to play some multiplayer without it crashing earlier :lol :D
like with uncharted 2's great multiplayer, i am addicted to playing online
although that grenade launcher is so cheap :lol but it's such a powerful weapon, i expect most people will use it when they unlock
also got to finally be a big daddy in free for all :D so awesome just mowing everyone down :p

RDreamer

I'm having a ton of fun when I do get a good game in multiplayer, but I don't really see me ever getting to rank 40, since recently I've been having nothing but terrible laggy games and host drops worse than I've seen in any other multiplayer game.

Also, does anyone else have problems with the trials. I swear the stuff seems to come up only half the time that I do what it says. I just had a few crossbow kills and the trial for that only came up one of the three times.

I don't get why people are calling the Grenade Launcher cheap. It seems to do no damage at all.

I should note that I am using the heat seeking one. I shot someone with three in a row as they were hacking a turret and they still didn't die. Maybe the non lock on one has more power even though the upgrade doesn't mention the downside. -_-

The nail gun is so beast. I love sneaking up on some sap with the Houdini Plasmid, then unloading a nail gun clip into their back. They die in what seems to be the blink of an eye.

The Big Daddy is way over powered right now. As him, I can just run people constantly and if you have others guarding you or a turret there near you... you can forget it. He should be on a timer or something or slowly run out of breath or something.

Belfast

Hmmm, just finished it, and I'm left wondering what could be left for a Bioshock 3?

The only major characters left are
Eleanor and Tennanbaum, although they did kind of pull Lamb out of their ass. But a lot of what came up in Bioshock 2 was at least alluded to in the first game (Sinclair, Fontaine Futuristics).

I had no idea how they'd pull off a sequel, so I could be wrong. Maybe they can pull something else out of it yet.

However, I think it might be a good time to resurrect System Shock (if they can procure the rights at this point). Rapture is really just a "theme" and most of the gameplay tenets were set up before Bioshock. Even some of the plot ideas are similar.

I think, after these two games, the public would be willing to accept a "Rapture in the future/space." And it can either be a completely new storyline, or a remake/retelling of the first two games introducing Shodan again "for the first time."

Belfast

PoweredBySoy said:
Whoa, easy there, defense force. With the direction they took - meaning, the exact same direction as the first one - then I guess the right thing to do would have been not to write you in as a big daddy. If you're going to have me be playing a big daddy you can't just copy/paste 90% of the gameplay elements from the first one. At least not if you actually want to sell me on the whole premise. Where are my heavy footsteps? Why isn't there a button mapped to "Big Daddy Howl"? You'd think that would be mandatory! Even the option to harvest little sisters is still there. The first time I saw that I was thinking 'why the hell would a big daddy harvest sisters?'.

As for defending positions in an FPS, I guess Episode 2, 2007, comes to mind.

It's a good game and I'll finish it - but I'm still disappointed they squandered such an opportunity.

You're pretty clearly a member of the
Alpha series, which is a lot more agile and, IIRC, doesn't use the howl either.

No_Style

Amir0x said:
Finally! Rank 40. I had a blast with multiplayer, truthfully. I will still play once in a while. It's cool that multiplayer had its own little ending and mini-storylines, though it was obviously put together kinda sloppily. Still, the multiplayer gameplay was fun enough in of itself to warrant playtime, and that's good for me.

How long did it take you to reach rank 40?

Belfast

Also did anyone else notice that one of the
Alphas in the area around Gil Alexander's tank was named Mark Meltzer? I guess we know what ended up happening to him, huh?

Top Bottom