• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

AcridMeat

Banned
my mind is still melting.
I just finished it a little over an hour ago. I didn't find it that hard to grasp...then again the story took so long to go anywhere interesting.

To me it was incredibly elaborate to tell a story that was obvious to me. Maybe I've experienced too many sci fi stories.

I chose the bird because I thought it looked nicer on her.

Sorian

Banned
Sorry, really easy avatar quote

So we have to smother him?

image.php

My only real complaint is that the side characters are not nearly as strong as Bioshock 1's. In fact they're not even really part of the story. Maybe this was a conscious choice because of how central Elizabeth was, but outside of her, no one really holds a candle to Sander Cohen. Or Steinman. Or Tenenbaum.

Anyone else put much time into 1999 mode? I've just got to Lady Comstock and part of me feels like the game just falls apart in this mode, mechanically at least. You really can't afford to be out of cover for more than a second - which sometimes leads to moments where you're just hunkered down and totally out of ammo with no choice but to restart... this also happened to me with the second Handyman fight...

The first half plays fine, but around this part it's just all going to shit. I'm fine with death costing a bunch when you die - whatever. I'm fine with enemies regenerating health when you die, whatever - but it makes absolutely no sense for Booker to revive with 50% health, whatever ammo you died with and all enemies back to 100% - at some point you're going to run out of resources and the enemy will keep regenerating health - forcing a restart. This happened to me just now against Lady Comstock, Elizabeth was just standing there in the middle of it all with a sad face on hunkered down in the middle of a group of enemies doing nothing. Needed to restart. Same happened with that Handyman, the entire stage was devoid of any equipment and I had to restart checkpoint... ugh.

I know 1999 is supposed to be difficult but it's just frustrating... It doesn't feel like things are happening because of my mistakes, it feels cheap.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just finished it a little over an hour ago. I didn't find it that hard to grasp...then again the story took so long to go anywhere interesting.

To me it was incredibly elaborate to tell a story that was obvious to me. Maybe I've experienced too many sci fi stories.

I chose the bird because I thought it looked nicer on her.

Well it clearly didnt appear obvious over the course of the game, and im not saying i couldnt comprehend it, more im just amazed at how intricate all the connections are and how much depth there is after you view the ending.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well it clearly didnt appear obvious over the course of the game, and im not saying i couldnt comprehend it, more im just amazed at how intricate all the connections are and how much depth there is after you view the ending.
That's fair. For me that was necessary for them to get any ending at all though. :S

Trigger

Anyone else put much time into 1999 mode? I've just got to Lady Comstock and part of me feels like the game just falls apart in this mode, mechanically at least. You really can't afford to be out of cover for more than a second - which sometimes leads to moments where you're just hunkered down and totally out of ammo with no choice but to restart... this also happened to me with the second Handyman fight...

The first half plays fine, but around this part it's just all going to shit. I'm fine with death costing a bunch when you die - whatever. I'm fine with enemies regenerating health when you die, whatever - but it makes absolutely no sense for Booker to revive with 50% health, whatever ammo you died with and all enemies back to 100% - at some point you're going to run out of resources and the enemy will keep regenerating health - forcing a restart. This happened to me just now against Lady Comstock, Elizabeth was just standing there in the middle of it all with a sad face on hunkered down in the middle of a group of enemies doing nothing. Needed to restart. Same happened with that Handyman, the entire stage was devoid of any equipment and I had to restart checkpoint... ugh.

I know 1999 is supposed to be difficult but it's just frustrating... It doesn't feel like things are happening because of my mistakes, it feels cheap.

If you think that's bad try the final firefight. I nearly quit my first playthrough.

Did 1999 as my first play through. Definitely the hardest part. I beat her with long range combat. Shocks to stop her and rapid-tap headshots. I always carried the Carbine and Sniper Rifle, since that was the only way to survive half the fights. It gets easier, keep trying!

Riposte

I already know it's in my top 5 games of all time.

So yeah, I don't need to wait till GOTY team your right. I love Infinite so much. <3

It is not like I care what your GotY is. I'm just calling you annoying. It doesn't help you seem to be slightly oblivious to how much evangelizing you do with this game. LIFE DEFINING STORYLINE, THE GRAND ACHIEVEMENT OF THE HUMAN RACE.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

A lot of the mechanics feel contrived to give some of the gear a purpose. I had one that revives you with 100%, and depending on what you get the game can become trivial if you get charge upgraded for shield regen and invulnerability with a bunch of melee speced gear that regen health and spread various effects.

AcridMeat

Banned
I guess I should add to that I wanted the game to go the Timesplitters route. I wanted to fight in the 80's against Vox chasing after etc.

That wouldn't have been as serious but with how much other ridiculous stuff there is I don't know. This was my first Bioshock, though I saw most of Bioshock 1 including the ending.

Did 1999 as my first play through. Definitely the hardest part. I beat her with long range combat. Shocks to stop her and rapid-tap headshots. I always carried the Carbine and Sniper Rifle, since that was the only way to survive half the fights. It gets easier, keep trying!

Cheers,
I started out by just unloading sniper into her from the starting area, then running over to the med packs under the bridge and using the hand cannon to whoever comes near and shooting at here whenever she comes over. Used Return to sender to run across the field and threw whatever was collected at her. Then grabbed a gun and ran to the other med pack point and hunkered down, realized it's 100% safe as no one can cross the line and her attacks are blocked by some stone. Thing is, I run out of ammo here and I'm fucked - no one seems to drop guns and I've already scoured the ground for whatever I could on the way over... Will give it another shot.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I guess I should add to that I wanted the game to go the Timesplitters route. I wanted to fight in the 80's against Vox chasing after etc.

That wouldn't have been as serious but with how much other ridiculous stuff there is I don't know. This was my first Bioshock, though I saw most of Bioshock 1 including the ending.

I was shittin bricks when you go to Rapture in Infinite. What a perfect way of illustrating there are infinite worlds. A flying city was enough for me for the main game. Sure it might have been cool to time travel in the gameplay, but they do so much already. Work hours just arent there i guess. Sounds like DLC though.....infinite worlds and all!

I'm glad I checked out this thread. I'm sure there are people out there who get a boner over the multiverse and determinism but I'm not one of them.

$60 saved.

AcridMeat

Banned
A lot of the mechanics feel contrived to give some of the gear a purpose. I had one that revives you with 100%, and depending on what you get the game can become trivial if you get charge upgraded for shield regen and invulnerability with a bunch of melee speced gear that regen health and spread various effects.
I had one that gave back salt for killing enemies. Couple that with an upgraded handcannon and it was pretty fun.
I was shittin bricks when you go to Rapture in Infinite. What a perfect way of illustrating there are infinite worlds.
See to me I know people will love that and think it's rad, I get why. But to me I just saw it as obvious, of course you would have the fan service. I thought they at least made the reference in a smart way, I agree.

Cheers,
I started out by just unloading sniper into her from the starting area, then running over to the med packs under the bridge and using the hand cannon to whoever comes near and shooting at here whenever she comes over. Used Return to sender to run across the field and threw whatever was collected at her. Then grabbed a gun and ran to the other med pack point and hunkered down, realized it's 100% safe as no one can cross the line and her attacks are blocked by some stone. Thing is, I run out of ammo here and I'm fucked - no one seems to drop guns and I've already scoured the ground for whatever I could on the way over... Will give it another shot.

Yeah, ammo is a constant concern with her. Waiting on Elizabeth to toss some is sometimes the best choice there. Whenever you die, she heals completely, so unless you can scrounge up some ammo on the run back, best bet is to reload after any death.

Gorillaz

The funny part of the whole "60 dollars saved" is you could just redbox it for PS360 for 2 dollars a day. Barely anything.

Been telling people this for a few days at work.

Trigger

I'm glad I checked out this thread. I'm sure there are people out there who get a boner over the multiverse and determinism but I'm not one of them.

$60 saved.

Too late, you already bought it in another timeline.

The funny part of the whole "60 dollars saved" is you could just redbox it for PS360 for 2 dollars a day.

Been telling people this for a few days at work.

You don't even have to pay to Red Box the game. Wario's thread had two free rental codes.

$60 saved.

Of all the themes in this game, determinism is really not one of them.

Also, you're not gonna play a game because it has dimensions? Suit yourself, just seems like odd logic. It's really an incredible experience but I guess mileage may vary.

So

Let me get this straight

Gaf...in a different dimension

DOESN'T exist?
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8dda8NwFF1r8piu1.gif

hold me gaf

Didn't we see Alternate GAF before in a thread EviLore made?

EDIT: Yes we did.

My only real complaint is that the side characters are not nearly as strong as Bioshock 1's. In fact they're not even really part of the story. Maybe this was a conscious choice because of how central Elizabeth was, but outside of her, no one really holds a candle to Sander Cohen. Or Steinman. Or Tenenbaum.

Yeah, I agree. The characters all have an importance to the plot but I didn't feel, as you said, they really held a candle to Bioshock's characters. While this may be relevant to some of the games themes and may be done as a way to promote looking at them as symbolic rather than specific people, I felt that they still could have used a little bit more 'depth'. In saying that, I also really liked Fink and the Luteces.

Yeah, ammo is a constant concern with her. Waiting on Elizabeth to toss some is sometimes the best choice there. Whenever you die, she heals completely, so unless you can scrounge up some ammo on the run back, best bet is to reload after any death.

Yeah I hate that 100% regen - that was one of my main issues. Just beat her - Elizabeth actually helped out this time so I had a bit more ammo. I felt really cheap though, just hunkered down in the spot from before and just blasted at her head with the hand cannon and return to sender from the guys she kept summoning that wouldn't even walk up the stairs. Was funny to see the Luteces just appear in front of me following the fight haha, don't think I was intended to be in the spot.

DatDude

Banned
It is not like I care what your GotY is. I'm just calling you annoying. It doesn't help you seem to be slightly oblivious to how much evangelizing you do with this game. LIFE DEFINING STORYLINE, THE GRAND ACHIEVEMENT OF THE HUMAN RACE.

See I don't get this thinking.

As gamers we wait for moments like Infinite. Games that inspire us, games that remind us why we love video games in the first place.

Infinite did that for me, so I apologize if I'm a little too passionate about this game.

An why does it matter to you how much I like it. It's my opinion, it's my posts, I am in a Infinite discussion thread.

I could tell you never really cared much for Infinite, so I'm not sure what your still doing here. But whatever.

AcridMeat

Banned
Now can we talk about surprising and awesome reveals? Kinggi your avatar reminded me of Twin Peaks. Arguably my favorite episode of any television.

I was lucky. I was able to enjoy this game completely fresh. Nearly everything was new to me. I felt like a special lady.

I am sorry for your loss.

Well honestly what he said was literally just "Elizabeth is Comstocks daughter, She kills you at the end, Booker is Comstock"

Taken out of context, one of those is obvious if you have seen a trailer with the "seed of the prophet/ lamb" signs and the other two just make no sense. :p

It didn't ruin anything for me, I didn't even know if it was true.

Yeah I hate that 100% regen - that was one of my main issues. Just beat her - Elizabeth actually helped out this time so I had a bit more ammo. I felt really cheap though, just hunkered down in the spot from before and just blasted at her head with the hand cannon and return to sender from the guys she kept summoning that wouldn't even walk up the stairs. Was funny to see the Luteces just appear in front of me following the fight haha, don't think I was intended to be in the spot.

Grats! Uh! Enjoy the next segment...and I'm sorry ahead of time.

Atilac

How old is Andrew Ryan during bioshock 1? I'm wondering if Andrew is a male version of Elizabeth in a different dimension.

K' Dash

I was lucky. I was able to enjoy this game completely fresh. Nearly everything was new to me. I felt like a special lady.

I am sorry for your loss.

I just knew it existed, lol, I was torn on what to get, this or RE6, since at the time both were getting a lot of hate here.

The advantage Infinite had was that I tried the RE6 demo on my brothers PS3 and that shit was awful, so I preordered Infinite, knowing absolutely nothing about it, I mean, I played the first 2 games and I liked them a lot, so I had hopes it would at least be as good.

And it was the experience of the gen for me.

DMB4237

Neo Member
So I have beat the game twice (1999 Scavenger hunt Bitches!)

Say what you will about the ending, but I really do love the tying of themes in this game.

Mixing Schrodinger's principle of things being and not being at the same time with the cognitive dissonance of the people who see this grand utopia while also witnessing (and ignoring) the working conditions of the bottom.

A heavenly city up in the sky being this focus of this redemption story.

It really is a gratifying experience. Some misses I would say would be omitting some stuff and making the ending a little too convoluted (twist was pretty great though). Wish I knew more about Comstock's motivations. Wish there was a bit more focus on the Vox Populi and Daisy.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Also id like to say how impressed i was with the technology that enabled them to change worlds on the fly so well. Even on 360 it was impressively done.

I just knew it existed, lol, I was torn on what to get, this or RE6, since at the time both were getting a lot of hate here.

The advantage Infinite had was that I tried the RE6 demo on my brothers PS3 and that shit was awful, so I preordered Infinite, knowing absolutely nothing about it, I mean, I played the first 2 games and I liked them a lot, so I had hopes it would at least be as good.

And it was the experience of the gen for me.

Well you knew even less than i did then. Damn that must be something.

Top Bottom