• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

I'd seriously love to have a Saltonstall focused DLC. He looked to be a pretty unsettling but interesting character.

Saltonstall_Poster.png

This would be great.

A DLC having him run against Comstock. Make a twist out of the gameplay where you have political gameplay mechanics!

Dialogue trees for debates ;D

Ok that sounded good in my head, not so much on paper.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Probably already discussed and answered, but why doesn't the "main" Elizabeth at the drowning have the medallion on her choker anymore?

Maybe give more reason for her to reject alt-timeline Booker. And did we ever find out what happened to alt-Elizabeth?

I dunno, I think she has plenty of reason to want alt-timeline Booker dead. She says "you complicate the narrative" which pretty much conveys everything you need to know right there. Booker DeWitt died a martyr for the Vox cause. Daisy uses his death as a rallying point for the Vox, to the point where they were able to overthrow most of Comstock's followers and put together a real rebellion. Him showing up alive weakens her power over the Vox. He's no longer a martyr, and that destroys the motivation and power structure behind the driving force of the rebellion, and she can't have that. Booker needs to be dead to be a hero. It doesn't matter if he's an impostor or a ghost, she needs to get rid of him. Which is likely why she brands him as an impostor and gets the Vox to attack him.

There are four parts in 1999 Mode that can be a bit hard.

The three "boss" encounters and the final battle. The first two "boss" encounters can be cheesed, the third takes a little luck and is mostly about cover and dealing damage fast, and the final battle is made practically trivial with a gear called Winter Shield.

My entire goal in 1999 mode has been to prepare myself for the Lady Comstock fights. I've been preparing solely for them since I bought my first upgrade.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My entire goal in 1999 mode has been to prepare myself for the Lady Comstock fights. I've been preparing solely for them since I bought my first upgrade.

If you can beat them fair and square then good on you dude. I wasn't that patient

Charge makes everything a joke.

I assume when you upgrade it, yes, cuz I decided to start barely using it for the last fight and it didn't seem to do much...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you can beat them fair and square then good on you dude. I wasn't that patient

I assume when you upgrade it, yes, cuz I decided to start barely using it for the last fight and it didn't seem to do much...

Upgraded + melee attacks makes it absurb. You can literally charge everything, keep regaining shields and health and salt and light people on fire if you have the right gear.

Dead

well not really...yet
Never cheesed Lady Comstock. Beat her fair and square!

But like I mentioned in the other thread, she actually wierdly disappeared/killed herself in the 2nd fight in the bank. Like one moment she was there, I got killed, came back and she was gone. lol.

Gorillaz

I have been idly sort of wondering for a few days if all the stuff cut from the game that we saw in previous trailers was actually cut or just a meta-commentary about the various things that never happen to this Booker and Elizabeth.

naw I think they were just cut tbh. Seems like too much work to put into the game for it not to be used unless in forced cuts.

Especially the first vid with Song Bird first appearing.
Which never happened in the tower
Matter of fact Liz's power's were more varied back then too

How exactly are you supposed to sneak past the Boys of Silence? anyone know?
DOn't let the light hit you and when it does run like hell so the bells don't go off that much. Come on son

Edit:

naw I think they were just cut tbh. Seems like too much work to put into the game for it not to be used unless in forced cuts.

Especially the first vid with Song Bird first appearing.
Which never happened in the tower
Matter of fact Liz's power's were more varied back then too

DOn't let the light hit you and when it does run like hell so the bells don't go off that much. Come on son

Yeah of course that seems like the obvious thing, but the first one where you have to go behind it and go through the door it detects me as soon as I get to the door - despite the fact I'm behind it? :S

Neiteio

I have been idly sort of wondering for a few days if all the stuff cut from the game that we saw in previous trailers was actually cut or just a meta-commentary about the various things that never happen to this Booker and Elizabeth.
It's a cool idea, but from a practicality standpoint, I very much doubt they'd go through the trouble of designing all of those assets and animations and setpieces and so on, and then cut them just to speak to the whole multiverse concept.

Edit:

Yeah of course that seems like the obvious thing, but the first one where you have to go behind it and go through the door it detects me as soon as I get to the door - despite the fact I'm behind it? :S

I don't think you can sneak past the first guy. I think it is deliberately right in your way so you have to trigger him and know what happens when you do so. Every other one you can sneak past pretty easily by just doing the obvious.

Gorillaz

For the most part wait before you past the boys of silence. time there pattern. Don't leave as soon as it turns around because usually it's a fake out.

Usually wait until it's 180 degrees, like completely facing the other way

EDIT
yea you have to fight the first one
the 2nd one was the only one to really give me trouble timing
3rd and 4th were easily

I don't think you can sneak past the first guy. I think it is deliberately right in your way so you have to trigger him and know what happens when you do so. Every other one you can sneak past pretty easily by just doing the obvious.

Alright, thought this might have been the case... I remember from my normal diff playthrough that they looked relatively easy to sneak by via the obvious means (engaged them all on that playthrough though), but this first one seems impossible haha...

ezekial45

Banned
Seriously, for DLC I just want a place where we can explore. I was disappointed how quickly the game pushed us through areas. We need a place like Fort Frolic, Fontaine Futuristics, or even Siren Alley.

I just want the pace to slow down a bit and allow us to take in the city.

GavinGT

Banned
Seriously, for DLC I just want a place where we can explore. I was disappointed how quickly the game pushed us through areas. We need a place like Fort Frolic, Fontaine Futuristics, or even Siren Alley.

Really? They weren't forcing you to advance, and there were large areas that totally encouraged exploration. I also felt like there was way more to explore than in a Bioshock game. That might not be the case, but it did feel that way. I could always go for more to explore, though.

I think they just wanted to always give you a clear purpose so some players didn't feel like it was aimless.

Sprint from cover to cover when they're turned. Their reaction time is pretty generous.

After the first encounter, with no salts and next to no ammo left afterward, I said "fuck this." I snuck past every other one of them, even if it took me ten minutes.

Those battles are not worth it. Just run and sneak.

I'd say Downtown Emporia was the most chill place, unfortunately it was also the most drab place for exploration. I mean, the bank? Seriously? Did we /really/ need a completely separate area for the boring old bank?

GavinGT

Banned
I'd say Downtown Emporia was the most chill place, unfortunately it was also the most drab place for exploration. I mean, the bank? Seriously? Did we /really/ need a completely separate area for the boring old bank?

Yeah, no floating buildings, no skylines, and a fricking graveyard made that area pretty boring.

BTW, who else got the hidden item in the back of the graveyard by lighting the torch using Devil's Kiss?

LiK

Yeah, no floating buildings, no skylines, and a fricking graveyard made that area pretty boring.

BTW, who else got the hidden item in the back of the graveyard by lighting the torch using Devil's Kiss?

So that's how you get it. Thanks

ezekial45

Banned
Really? They weren't forcing you to advance, and there were large areas that totally encouraged exploration. I also felt like there was way more to explore than in a Bioshock game. That might not be the case, but it did feel that way. I could always go for more to explore, though.

I think they just wanted to always give you a clear purpose so some players didn't feel like it was aimless.

The level design of the game was to allow for more action and verticality. It's also far more linear than the previous games. I remember B1 had the apartment building in Apollo Square that was entirely optional. B2 had something like that, on a smaller scale, BI never had anything like that.

hawk2025

The Art of Bioshock Infinite has answered some of the "maybe" questions:

First, it references plasmids directly on early art (pages 32 and 33). Second, the early designs of Songbird were clearly meant to be inspired by the Big Daddy (pages 41-42).

Amazing book, by the way!

Calling it a night for now, will finish up 1999 tomorrow some time. It is in fact impossible to sneak by the first Boy of Silence, but the others are a cake walk. Possession comes in real handy for the fights in the surgery section - didn't even fire a shot into the turrets or patriot. Got my last infusion and saved at the next area for the grueling final battle.

I want to platinum Infinite because I've really enjoyed it, so I'm nearly done on that front - only ones left to get are all related to finishing 1999 mode, so it's one last push from here.

GavinGT

Banned
Not I.

Thanks for the tip.

The level design of the game was to allow for more action and verticality. It's also far more linear than the previous games. I remember B1 had the apartment building in Apollo Square that was entirely optional. B2 had something like that, on a smaller scale, BI never had anything like that.

I still feel like there was a ton to explore, even without any huge optional areas. There was plenty of optional stuff along the critical path.

The Art of Bioshock Infinite has answered some of the "maybe" questions:

First, it references plasmids directly on early art (pages 32 and 33). Second, the early designs of Songbird were clearly meant to be inspired by the Big Daddy (pages 41-42).

Amazing book, by the way!

Sounds good! I've got it pre ordered - as far as I know it's out Friday here in the UK. Looking forward to it. The art direction in this game is amazing. I'm studying Game Art Design at university in September and this game is definitely one to look at for when things are done right. So much detail and texture, that's what I'm looking forward to seeing in the book most of all.

DatDude

Banned
Speaking of Fitzroy, I'm still a bit miffed as to how she was taken out of the story and it just didn't feel like a satisfying closure to her character and the context behind her and the Vox going apeshit on you never felt good for me and continued to be so all the way to the end. I liked what they had going with Fitzroy but then she's snuffed out and I just felt we didn't see her enough.

I still think that the whole Vox Populi narrative, including Fitzroy was nothing more but to a symbolical representation of the inner conflict, "war" that Booker is facing.

Similar to Silent Hill in that the city represents the character in a way, and the same could be said for the vox populi and fitzroy.

All right. Literally finished the game minutes ago for the first time, haven't even read the OP yet, but I'll inevitably spend the next hour or so combing through the spoiler thread (s) instead of sleeping.

I'm not disappointed with the ending after it was hyped so much, but it wasn't exactly a huge surprise or anything. As soon as the whole multiple timelines/quantum mechanics stuff was getting heavy and finding the twins' voxophones it seemed clear it was going down that path to some extent. Then the whole "Booker Dewitt is Comstock!" ending I was entertaining but was sort of hoping they wouldn't go that route since it seems pretty... cliche? I guess post-KOTOR I'm always looking for or expecting that kind of twist, so I was hoping that wouldn't be the case or that there was more to it.

Honestly, I was thinking that the game was going to end when you got to Comstock House and met up with Old Elizabeth.

I dunno... I'm slightly bummed out about the ending. I'll just read all this spoiler stuff now and see if it makes any more sense to me.

DatDude

Banned

To be fair, that was also probably the largest section in Bioshock...and probably the worst (but that's just me and my hate for everything post plot twist).

I mean, to be fair your sort of right. I'd say Infinite level design is akin to Uncharted, but with more branching optional paths...

Neiteio

All right. Literally finished the game minutes ago for the first time, haven't even read the OP yet, but I'll inevitably spend the next hour or so combing through the spoiler thread (s) instead of sleeping.

I'm not disappointed with the ending after it was hyped so much, but it wasn't exactly a huge surprise or anything. As soon as the whole multiple timelines/quantum mechanics stuff was getting heavy and finding the twins' voxophones it seemed clear it was going down that path to some extent. Then the whole "Booker Dewitt is Comstock!" ending I was entertaining but was sort of hoping they wouldn't go that route since it seems pretty... cliche? I guess post-KOTOR I'm always looking for or expecting that kind of twist, so I was hoping that wouldn't be the case or that there was more to it.

Honestly, I was thinking that the game was going to end when you got to Comstock House and met up with Old Elizabeth.

I dunno... I'm slightly bummed out about the ending. I'll just read all this spoiler stuff now and see if it makes any more sense to me.
Read the OP, Jibbajabbawockky.

wow that's a fun username

GavinGT

Banned

For me, the reveal of Booker as (sort of) an unreliable narrator was the part that had the biggest punch for me. I don't feel they set up Booker = Comstock throughout the game believably.

DatDude

Banned
I think the biggest punch in the gut for me was just realizing...because of the past mistakes you commited, not only do you have to sacrifice yourself, elizabeth, your daughter, has to sacrifice herself as well to "fix" everything.

I mean, damn. That's heavy stuff.

didamangi

I could only beat the Siren by abusing Charge (it provides brief invulnerability and shield recharge once upgraded) and a piece of gear that doubled damage against an enemy after you melee them.

Charge --> Double Damage Activated --> Unload with Handcannon -> Charge to Recharge Shield --> Repeat.

Does everyone beat her like this on 1999? Almost the same method as me except I shot her point blank with a heater and then escape with return to sender. Luckily I got that double damage melee gear too or it would've been a long hide and seek game.

Top Bottom